Please Samsung, don't do this to the Note 5!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I think those proclaiming it's a forgone conclusion the Note 5 will follow the S6 with a sealed/embedded battery are jumping the gun. These are two different lines of devices designed for different types of users. So one does NOT necessarily follow the other.

From the Trusted Reviews link above:
"Although Samsung will continue this push for a premium look and feel with the Note 5, those hoping for a fully metal handset look set to miss out. According to Samsung’s designers, the Note 4 omitted a full metal body over fears the handset would be too ‘hard and cold’.

“The designers have been aware of people’s desire for a metal frame. However, using metal material just for the sake of using it didn’t make much sense,” one of Samsung’s lead designers said via an official company blog post.

They added: “One thing the designers did not want to do was to use metal and give out the sense that the device is too hard and cold.

“The soft cover allows the user to change batteries, which is also a big part of the user experience of the Galaxy Note 4.”"

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not really a question of yours or my personal feelings though, I'm speaking of comparison in general. A large built in battery that doesn't require frequently being charged is easier than removing a case, a backplate, and carrying one more piece of hardware. To you personally it might not be. But in general it is. Guess that's why we aren't in agreement, you're speaking towards your specific usage, I'm speaking in general terms. Not saying your usage is wrong, I'm just making a general observation.

Here's an example of the convenience/advantage of a user-replaceable battery (screenshots below. Took 3 minutes to swap out battery and take another screenshot). If one had a sealed/embedded battery they'd be about dead in the water or tethered to a charging source. :(

Screenshot_2015-04-17-17-03-07.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-17-17-03-20.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-17-17-06-01.jpg

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I think those proclaiming it's a forgone conclusion the Note 5 will follow the S6 with a sealed/embedded battery are jumping the gun. These are two different lines of devices designed for different types of users. So one does NOT necessarily follow the other.

From the Trusted Reviews link above:
"Although Samsung will continue this push for a premium look and feel with the Note 5, those hoping for a fully metal handset look set to miss out. According to Samsung’s designers, the Note 4 omitted a full metal body over fears the handset would be too ‘hard and cold’.

“The designers have been aware of people’s desire for a metal frame. However, using metal material just for the sake of using it didn’t make much sense,” one of Samsung’s lead designers said via an official company blog post.

They added: “One thing the designers did not want to do was to use metal and give out the sense that the device is too hard and cold.

“The soft cover allows the user to change batteries, which is also a big part of the user experience of the Galaxy Note 4.”"
Perhaps, but those comments happened before Samsung decided on a design shift this year. Personally I think the hard/cold comment was nonsense anyway, iPads are beautiful to hold and look at as are iPhone and iPads are larger than the note. Sounds more to me like he was simply defending the plastic, Samsung employees have been making public comments similar to that one since the grumbling for non plastic started a few years ago

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, but those comments happened before Samsung decided on a design shift this year. Personally I think the hard/cold comment was nonsense anyway, iPads are beautiful to hold and look at as are iPhone and iPads are larger than the note. Sounds more to me like he was simply defending the plastic, Samsung employees have been making public comments similar to that one since the grumbling for non plastic started a few years ago

My laptop (Samsung Ativ) is an aluminum shell and its the best feeling laptop I've ever owned. I'll take the "cold" feeling with a premium feel over cheap plastic that creaks for a number of reasons. This is one reason I got rid of the S5 for a Droid Turbo even though it meant paying $650 to do so. For the price of a phone I expect it to feel premium and not like a child put it together or like a Fisher Price toy.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

My laptop (Samsung Ativ) is an aluminum shell and its the best feeling laptop I've ever owned. I'll take the "cold" feeling with a premium feel over cheap plastic that creaks for a number of reasons. This is one reason I got rid of the S5 for a Droid Turbo even though it meant paying $650 to do so. For the price of a phone I expect it to feel premium and not like a child put it together or like a Fisher Price toy.

I recently picked up a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (replaced an OG Note 10.1 and an old Dell laptop) that has a sealed/embedded battery. But that does NOT mean I'm now OK with the same on the Note 5. Tablets/laptops are an apple to oranges comparison and IMO do not apply here.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I recently picked up a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (replaced an OG Note 10.1 and an old Dell laptop) that has a sealed/embedded battery. But that does NOT mean I'm now OK with the same on the Note 5. Tablets/laptops are an apple to oranges comparison and IMO do not apply here.

Applies to me.

I'll replace my phone every two years so its life beyond that means little to me. I never have to swap batteries and would never carry a spare even if it was removable.

I'll keep my laptop for many years because it'll do everything for that time with no slow down. Its battery may need to be replaced but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

This is my experience, not yours. We all have our preferences and we must accept that. I do believe embedded batteries are becoming the standard though and me mentioning my laptop was nothing more than to support that point.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Applies to me.

I'll replace my phone every two years so its life beyond that means little to me. I never have to swap batteries and would never carry a spare even if it was removable.

I'll keep my laptop for many years because it'll do everything for that time with no slow down. Its battery may need to be replaced but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

This is my experience, not yours. We all have our preferences and we must accept that. I do believe embedded batteries are becoming the standard though and me mentioning my laptop was nothing more than to support that point.

But tablets/laptops have vastly larger batteries in them and are typically used differently than smartphones. So again, that comparison is NOT apt here.

We'll see though (regarding the Note 5), I still think you guys are way off assuming it will follow the S6.

Meanwhile, there's no response to my post about swapping a battery to get back to a full charge in 3 minutes. Hmmmm, why's that? :p

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
But tablets/laptops have vastly larger batteries in them and are typically used differently than smartphones. So again, that comparison is NOT apt here.

We'll see though (regarding the Note 5), I still think you guys are way off assuming it will follow the S6.

Meanwhile, there's no response to my post about swapping a battery to get back to a full charge in 3 minutes. Hmmmm, why's that? :p

Because I never have to swap batteries so its unnecessary. :p

I'm never against options or the ability to remove it necessarily. Anyone who is would be insane! But I also don't want cheap, thin plastic covers that creak. Now, in saying that, the Note 3 and Note 4 were made with almost no give so it doesn't matter. The S5, however, was the more creaky phone I've ever used. Much worse than the Note 2 which had a creaky battery cover and bezel.

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I think that's right. We've also seen companies go this route and then reverse themselves, too. High end phones are by definition devices for power users. If you don't want lots of fancy features of course, there's no reason to buy one at all and many don't. Many people are happy with basic stuff. But when you DO get to the high end, there will be demand for the esoteric, even if I were to concede it's esoteric. The percentage of people who WANT lots of stuff is higher at that end by definition. If they didn't, they wouldn't be trolling in that pond.

In any event, they are deal breaker features for me. If they no longer exist in Samsung, I buy from whomever has them. Someone will---because in a market where so many are desperate for a few extra points of market share, doing something to differentiate yourself from the masses is something that works to make you stand out. Um, it worked for Samsung. Maybe they'll return the favor that Apple's stubbornness gave them to some other up-and-comer. ;)

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I love my Note 4. But my fear is that Samsung will do away with the removable battery and microSD options, like they've done with the S6 and S6 Edge. IMHO these were two of the best (most desirable) options about Samsung devices. What difference does it make to have up to 128GB of internal memory if you can't remove it to transfer it to a new (or extra) phone or other device??? And with these large, high output screens, I'd rather carry an extra battery around than have to carry around a charger (and look for a place to plug it in). Yes, there are plug-in battery packs, etc., available, but I don't want the extra unwieldy bulk of trying to use my phone with something plugged into it while it's charging. So I (and I'm sure just about all other Note 4 users) hope that these options remain on the upcoming Note 5.

If you agree (or disagree), please comment. Maybe Samsung will pay attention.

This is exactly the reason I left HTC years ago and will leave Samsung if they do this to the NOTE line. Really really disappointing. So much easier to take an extra battery along instead of a big charger.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly the reason I left HTC years ago and will leave Samsung if they do this to the NOTE line. Really really disappointing. So much easier to take an extra battery along instead of a big charger.

This will happen eventually. They will all have non removable batteries.

Last edited:

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I read that the S6 Active may have an SD card slot or removable battery or possibly both. My guess is that the Note 5 will have those since it is their high end device.

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, but technically the S6 is their flagship device so why would they change that?

That is what I was thinking. Why add back two missing features in the acrive model since it doesn't sell as many units?

Probably just a rumor since I have not seen any other mention but it would be great to have in the Note 5.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope the Note 5 can be designed with removable Battery and an SD slot but if they seal it up like the S6, I'm keeping my Note 4 for a long time.
Plus the slowing rate of improvements over previous models offer little reasons to purchase the next Note, unless Samsung does something spectacular :)

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I want/need these features to remain in the Note series.
Let the S series be for those who don't know or care.

I was checking out the S6 and S6 edge phone, but when I learned they don't have a Micro SD card slot or Removeable battery, I said to myself "Nope, back to looking at Note 4."
Oh yeah, and I Need the S Pen.

I have the Note 3.

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope the Note 5 can be designed with removable Battery and an SD slot but if they seal it up like the S6, I'm keeping my Note 4 for a long time.
Plus the slowing rate of improvements over previous models offer little reasons to purchase the next Note, unless Samsung does something spectacular :)

And with little enough reason to purchase new ones no matter what, they should certainly think twice about creating additional reasons not to purchase.

justicerx7

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I love the sd removable battery feature ...I am waiting g for the note 5 this fall for my upgrade on my plan ...although I use a note 3 and could upgrade to the 4 ...I just can't see passing up the 5 ...having the battery option is a must if you use your phone like the power house it is ...movies downloads tether etc...the phone line is just boss if you use it like it's built to do ...as far as the sd card ....I would not have it any other way storage storage storage ..movies eat up a lot or room ......is that not what the big screen is for ....so if you read this Samsung ...do what you like to the other phone lines you produce but the note line is your ferrari and for those of us that know how to drive .....we expect nothing less then your best with all the goodies we have come to love anything less will be a step backwards and a open door for other companies to fill the void in ...you have set the pace ...so do not disappoint