Please Samsung, don't do this to the Note 5!

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I was one of those where not having a removable SD and battery was a dealbreaker for me, but I have changed on both. I got the Droid Turbo.....yes I know it is lagging in getting 5.1, but that is still "promised soon".....but the device is a beast and has no SD or removable battery. I don't miss either one. I got the 64GB version and have more space than I need, plus I put many of my files on Google Drive. I have had issues with SD cards failing, so I no longer need to worry about that either, and I never keep anything longer than 2 years, so the battery is not an issue for me either. For me, it is just 2 less things to worry about. And by the way, just because the battery isn't "easily" removable doesn't mean it can't be replaced. Most can still actually be replaced by a service center if they fail after the warranty has expired. Just my opinion here....but I'm now glad I don't have either one!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Forbes Magazine on Flipboard predicts today that, based on a leaked design, the Note 5 will not have removable batteries an no SD cards.

They said the battery size will increase dramatically, but they noted that the real issue would be with SD cards, because buying hdd space--a point I and others have made--is pricey. They distinguished the Note user base vs the S series, calling the Note folks more hard core--and predicting "universal" angst if this turned out to be true.

I wasn't buying a 5 anyway. I might not need one as a 6, but we'll see It is a long way aways. If that's the way it goes, I guess I'm in the market for another phone mfg. or I'll just keep the 4 a bit longer.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It will need to be interesting and tempting and not too pricey.

I think many will buy out of worry the Note 4 will become obsolete fast, passe, or just need to have the next thing.

Many may also not buy if it has a sealed battery and rom, and try to stretch the Note 4 another year - but will only hit the brick wall then anyway.

If it is styled like the S6 but reviews well in the first 3 months, the die hards will adjust their priorities and cave in to the inevitable.

What chance a Note 5 Active later on?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Haha note 5 active? I would buy that in a heart beat.
Me too. I would prefer a ruggedised Note, but would like a flip cover for the screen as well. Bigger battery, dust, shock proof and water resistant etc.

I would buy it in 5 or 6 heartbeats so I could check my wallet first. :)

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Me too. I would prefer a ruggedised Note, but would like a flip cover for the screen as well. Bigger battery, dust, shock proof and water resistant etc.

I would buy it in 5 or 6 heartbeats so I could check my wallet first. :)

Lol. I guess I would have to check my wallet also but it would be awesome.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I think many will buy out of worry the Note 4 will become obsolete fast, passe, or just need to have the next thing.

If it is styled like the S6 but reviews well in the first 3 months, the die hards will adjust their priorities and cave in to the inevitable.

I think it will be a long, long time before the Note 4 becomes obsolete. I was saying during the hoopla about its debut that I had maybe one more 2-year upgrade in me, and then it was going to pretty much be "keep it until it falls apart." I don't deal with their jump plans and what not--I own. It's paid off. If I keep it 3 or 4 years instead of 2, I don't see much issue barring some unbelievable innovation. If it's just a matter of the one I have getting old, at that point you'll also be able to buy more or less new ones on ebay and get another.

In other words, there is no rush to run out and "cave in." My prediction has always been that someone will fill the gap if Samsung abandons it. I'll have plenty of time to sort that out. Like this:

Discover the LG G4 – Release Date, Specs & Where to Buy | LG USA

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If all of the carriers would agree to bootloader unlock their devices 1 year after initial activation, that would prolong the life of the device even further. Nowadays, 2 year old phones are mainly obsolete because they don't get the latest updates, if any at all, when most higher end phones are still worth updating after 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be a long, long time before the Note 4 becomes obsolete. I was saying during the hoopla about its debut that I had maybe one more 2-year upgrade in me, and then it was going to pretty much be "keep it until it falls apart." I don't deal with their jump plans and what not--I own. It's paid off. If I keep it 3 or 4 years instead of 2, I don't see much issue barring some unbelievable innovation. If it's just a matter of the one I have getting old, at that point you'll also be able to buy more or less new ones on ebay and get another.

In other words, there is no rush to run out and "cave in." My prediction has always been that someone will fill the gap if Samsung abandons it. I'll have plenty of time to sort that out. Like this:

Discover the LG G4 – Release Date, Specs & Where to Buy | LG USA
I agree with you.

I was speaking about the Note buying population in general of course, not officianado's like your good self.

It does seem though that they are trying to reduce the marketing life cycle of top end devices to a year, and why wouldn't they?, just by making new fad features.

It also seems a new OS update is more a marketing drive to increase sales than a technological efficiency drive, but I'm sure that's been discussed.
What do Google gain directly by investing almost a year on a new OS. (I haven't thought that through)

I have always either bought outright, or secured a fantastic discount on a superceded phone (S2) or bought new privately on eBay at 75‰ of retail (Note 3).
I never had a 24 month contract save for the cheap sim I had to get to secure the unlocked nib S2 at £140, and my first company phone in '97/98.

Your comments on the Note 4 make me think I should get one, as they are now cheaper on Amazon UK(419) than my Note 3 was (450).

That said, I was thinking of diving in head first on the Note 5 this year, over 24 months or outright, and not even wait for reviews.
My life is getting shorter and I missed the HuuHaa on the Note 4 last year, though had planned to get one by Christmas.

My own meager uses don't constrict me to worry about sd cards and batteries, though I would opt to have them.

I am tired of reading new reviews only for the negatives to emerge later. I fancy buying one for the heck of it without even looking and deal with issues later.
The Note series has been good so far.

I always had looked down on people who would walk in to an expensive car showroom, point and say I will have that one - without knowing anything about it or the market.
Most times I couldn't afford a tricycle I will admit, so there was jealousy, but it obviously pays to know the market, appreciate what you are buying technically, and know sometimes you will be happier with an often better but superceded product.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
If all of the carriers would agree to bootloader unlock their devices 1 year after initial activation, that would prolong the life of the device even further. Nowadays, 2 year old phones are mainly obsolete because they don't get the latest updates, if any at all, when most higher end phones are still worth updating after 2 years.

I don't think that's in their business interest. are the updates worth it to you? That's the real question. If you can live with the older software than upgrades are not that important.

Posted via Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
MADD, once you experience how wonderful a big screen is---you'll stop thinking about it and just use it. It makes many things possible, including streaming video. Now, it's not my first choice to do that, but recently on vacation, it came in handy when I had nothing else with me. Enjoy the possibilities.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
MADD, once you experience how wonderful a big screen is---you'll stop thinking about it and just use it. It makes many things possible, including streaming video. Now, it's not my first choice to do that, but recently on vacation, it came in handy when I had nothing else with me. Enjoy the possibilities.
I had the Note 3 for 18 months and just sold it. I am using my backup Moto G 2013 with a 4.5" screen, lol - though I have gotten to like it now that I use it full time apart from the eye strain and light leakage on the led.

I need a Note size to increase my screen time, and decrease my sanity.

So I am already sold.
I didn't use the pen much but I liked trialing the Note 4 pen and think I would use it more.

Have to say I couldn't use a Note without the cheap slim flip-over strap case I had (have) that kept the screen safe.

Sorry 'bout the long post, lol.
I am attending classes in abbrevi

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's in their business interest. are the updates worth it to you? That's the real question. If you can live with the older software than upgrades are not that important.

Posted via Android Central App
That's the problem. They want to sell new phones by not updating their current ones that are still capable of updating. My point is...allow the customer to have the phone for the manufacturers warranty period, then allow users to unlock their phone online to do with it as they please.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
That's the problem. They want to sell new phones by not updating their current ones that are still capable of updating. My point is...allow the customer to have the phone for the manufacturers warranty period, then allow users to unlock their phone online to do with it as they please.

I can't speak for every carrier, but my T-mobile allows unlocking without any argument once the phone is paid. If you want to unlock at that point, call them up. They'll give you an unlock code.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Note 2 owner.
I was not thrilled to see that S6 did away with replaceable battery and micro sd. Those were distinguishing features for Samsung devices vs. Apple.
But those features were rarely if ever used by 99% of owners.
In 2.5 years the back cover has never been off of my Note 2.
I did add a 64g. Micro sd card at purchase because original capacity was not enough.
I am more concerned with high cost of price premium of 128g Note 5 when a 128g Micro sd added to 32g unit would be cheaper and offer more flexibility.
The battery issue is non existent.
The sealed case allows for a bigger longer lasting battery with quick charging capability.
Those that carried extra batteries can just as easily carry an external battery/charger.
If new Droid can get 48 hours new Note 5 should be able to get at least 36 hours.
If Samsung offers 64g as base model of Note 5 with a 128g for $100 more storage won't be an issue.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Those that carried extra batteries can just as easily carry an external battery/charger..

Sorry, but to me that oversimplifies the many issues. While it is true that I very much care about the SD Card more, I'd certainly make a buying decision on batteries, too.

First of all, that new "huge" battery in Samsung's propaganda isn't that much bigger than the N4 if reports on the sealed Note 5 are true. (As I recall, about 20-25% bigger capacity. Big deal.)

Second, when a battery that size is drained, fast charging or not, how long is it going to take to charge it? Do you always have that time to wait before going out?

Third, all circumstances are not equal. If you answered "yes," to number 2 for your daily life, that doesn't end the story. On a regular basis, at home, I wouldn't much care if my battery were smaller. I'm always near a charger and it's easy to top up. The problem is: when I'm NOT in regular circumstances. Today, for example, I'll be going into a sort of pastoral setting. No electrical sockets around! When I'm on a 10 hour plane flight, no electrical sockets. When I'm walking around a foreign city using GPS and the battery is low, I don't want to sit at a cafe for an hour to charge up,if I'm not otherwise going to. OTOH, I can have the back and case off, a new battery in and case and back replaced in less than 30 seconds. Reboot. Done. Nothing's easier and faster than that.

I also don't agree that carrying a charger is as easy as a battery, at least not if it has to be in my pocket. Chargers have prongs. Internationally, add an adapter. And then you have to remember the separate cable, too, and always keep rewinding it so it doesn't sprawl out. A battery overall is way easier to carry--slimmer profile, no muss, no fuss.

And fourth and finally, of course, as many have pointed out over the years, batteries wear out. I am reaching a point where my life cycle for phones isn't going to be every year or even every 2 years. It's a huge inconvenience to have to return the phone to the factory for a new battery instead of just popping a fresh one. Even in a 2 year cycle--I have seen noticeable decline in efficiency over the final 6 months for batteries I had in my S4. What happens if I'm keeping the phone for 3 years?

So, if I can summarize, Samsung, which used these features once upon a time to differentiate itself in the marketplace, now thinks they are worthless. Not coincidentally, if there are no SD cards, Samsung will be forcing many of us to buy phones with huge internal memory. And every time we get a new phone, we'll be paying for the same, pricey internal space over and again. Samsung, though, will make more money from this, as if the phones aren't expensive enough. And then they ditch removable batteries. When the fixed battery dies, we will have little choice but to return it, presumably to Samsung for service ($$) and then to buy the new battery from whoever installs it ($$$). More money yet again to Samsung, increasing the cost of phone ownership overall.

I think that puts it in the proper light. :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have been using a small power pack with a Moto G (sealed), and while it's great to fall back on, and I do - I have to admit it's not an 'instant' solution to a drained battery that a freshly charged spare would be. I have to connect up and let it charge for at least 15 - 30 minutes, but then you end up with a 25 - 40% battery sometimes and then need to remember to charge it some more when you have the opportunity, which screws up the battery cycles.

I could plan it better, I am sure others do, - and I forget how fast it charges from say 3% to 30%, maybe 20 - 30 mins. I often don't have longer than that.

I wasn't too bothered about losing removable batteries for my Note 3 replacement, but I realise a power bank is just a portable wall charger that you use during the day or early evening, and you have to wait to replenish the only battery you have .
If you have one that dangles from a short cord (mine is a mini torch shape) you can use the phone while charging only with dexterity and care for the usb port.

A fairly slim after market rugged case with a built-in battery pack could be the only viable alternative, or maybe a sealed battery of 4400+ mah as third best. Hell I don't know!

SD cards personally don't concern me for my uses, batteries do.

So put me back on the list of replaceable battery die-hard fanatics.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If Samsung simply followed Moto and went pure Android and integrated their enhancements it would allow updates to be faster and get rid of the crap no one wants. If they ever did a customer focus group (or the lawsuit in China) would tell them to get rid of the bloat.

Breeze7c

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I travel quite a bit. Carrying around two battery's and a spare SD card are the norm. The note 3 has been the best handset I have ever owned and it getting long in the tooth, having said that if the note 5 deletes these options I will be forced into the G4.