08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    I am thinking about Iphone now also. I was on the Samsung wagon because I like having options but if they want to copy Iphone then why not go with the real thing?
    07-20-2015 11:09 AM
    I've been reading a lot of your comments lately regarding this topic.

To be honest I'm ready to sacrifice space for speed.(This is the same discussion as back in the day of SSD vs HDD when the first SSDs were released)

To start with, I use lots of clouds so I'm fine with uploading my 4k videos to it once im in Wi-Fi range.

Now regarding the battery life, I'm confident that with the Exynos 7422 being made with 14nm plus with 3000+ mAH the phone is gonna last and last without even taking in account the phone will ship with probably Lollipop 5.1.

I'm okay with not being removable if the battery life is in fact quite good with the 14nm FinFET and a huge capacity, but I can't accept a non removable one like the Galaxy S6 for example... It just burns too fast.

Anyhow this is my opinion on this topic.. I'm okay with sacrificing the SD Card for LPDDR4/UFS2.0.

P.S : I do understand some people might want to still have SD card or being able to remove their battery, but for me it's okay to sacrifice those things.. But then again we shouldn't be forced to use clouds to back up stuff.. Thankfully there is Note 4 on the market.

But if we go with LPDDR4 in the future I hope devices are at least 32-64gb minimum of base model memory.
    07-20-2015 11:43 AM
    Nope I don't store info on the cloud
    Nor do I.

Sent from my Note3, using, Crapatalk
    07-20-2015 11:43 AM
    Have many here had sd failures in the past where it has affected the performance and battery drain of the device?...

Do you back those cards up (excluding movies, which I assume you can afford to lose - you may have purchased online or copied from another device)

.How much space do some people need for documents? ...
    If there will not be an sd slot, how much more difficult to carry one of these, you will have seen, and play movies etc from it (no cable):

3. For movies in the wild, do you view them on a 5.7" screen in your hand and bend your neck down for 2 hours, or mount the screen precariously somewhere?
    In hotels or away do you connect or stream to a tv?

I will take an sd slot over not having one, but surely it's not as critical as some believe.

A $100 - 120 premium (on launch) for a 128gb over a 32gb Note 5 would seem a fair trade currently.

(but it will likely cost more of course - ^ BigBloc stole my thunder above )
    Hi, Madd.....I'll take a crack, but those were a lot of questions!

I've never had a card fail in a device. I go back a long way. (Recently, I was told by this site that I was one of the first 10 people who joined this site in 1999, when it was VisorCentral, and was still active!)

Documents don't take much space. I think over the years the people who want space tend to be media junkies. I don't need to back those things up--they are only copies from my hard drive or the cloud in the first place. They are on a card so I (a) have them available; and (b) don't have to stream.

I can only giggle at the people going "just give me a 64gb hard drive." That doesn't come close. When they come out with 256 internal memory, I'm in if it costs $10. No, I am definitely not holding my breath, and the largest size I hear about is 128--which gives me less than I now have with my 128gb card and 32gb device. The truth is to get the space I want, it will probably cost an extra $100 to buy it again (and again) with each new phone purchase. Makes no sense. Really, aren't these phones expensive enough? There's a limit to everything. What Samsung is doing is increasing the costs of ownership with hidden gotchas and gimmes. It's like airlines first making you check bags and then charging you for checked bags.

Adapter: an adapter is one more thing to forget. And try putting the phone in your pocket with one. It's easy to bend, break, you can't rest the phone down, etc. They weren't intended to be more or less permanent fixtures. They've been around a long time. There's nothing new there. It's fine for offloading or onloading stuff, but for permanent storage, things I use regularly--not a very convenient solution.

To answer your last q: Most of my storage is audio in nature, but I have on occasion wanted to watch some movies. It's not my preferred choice to do so on a 5.7 screen, but the times I've done it have been better than I thought it would be (and better than nothing). It just matters where you put the screen. One item you forgot, too, is modern HD video. That chews up space in a HURRY. If you're on a 3 week vacation, and you have a 64gb card that's largely filled, you may be seriously screwed if you have no headroom.
    07-20-2015 11:52 AM
    Hi, Madd.....I'll take a crack, but those were a lot of questions!

I've never had a card fail in a device. I go back a long way. (Recently, I was told by this site that I was one of the first 10 people who joined this site in 1999, when it was VisorCentral, and was still active!)

Documents don't take much space. I think over the years the people who want space tend to be media junkies. I don't need to back those things up--they are only copies from my hard drive or the cloud in the first place. They are on a card so I (a) have them available; and (b) don't have to stream.

I can only giggle at the people going "just give me a 64gb hard drive." That doesn't come close. When they come out with 256 internal memory, I'm in if it costs $10. No, I am definitely not holding my breath, and the largest size I hear about is 128--which gives me less than I now have with my 128gb card and 32gb device. The truth is to get the space I want, it will probably cost an extra $100 to buy it again (and again) with each new phone purchase. Makes no sense. Really, aren't these phones expensive enough? There's a limit to everything. What Samsung is doing is increasing the costs of ownership with hidden gotchas and gimmes. It's like airlines first making you check bags and then charging you for checked bags.

Adapter: an adapter is one more thing to forget. And try putting the phone in your pocket with one. It's easy to bend, break, you can't rest the phone down, etc. They weren't intended to be more or less permanent fixtures. They've been around a long time. There's nothing new there. It's fine for offloading or onloading stuff, but for permanent storage, things I use regularly--not a very convenient solution.

To answer your last q: Most of my storage is audio in nature, but I have on occasion wanted to watch some movies. It's not my preferred choice to do so on a 5.7 screen, but the times I've done it have been better than I thought it would be (and better than nothing). It just matters where you put the screen. One item you forgot, too, is modern HD video. That chews up space in a HURRY. If you're on a 3 week vacation, and you have a 64gb card that's largely filled, you may be seriously screwed if you have no headroom.
    Not quite my point about external thumb drives and adaptors, or documents either, but I see what you mean.

I hope the cost of larger internal storage will come down to match the higher needs of future devices, but maybe not this year.

Samsung should see that there are very good new mid range devices with large screens, so can't charge too much of a premium for flagships, good though their hardware is. Then I don't see Samsung as a normal western company who gauge their customers preferences as important considerations.

I knew you were in the first 10 here, I mentioned it a while ago.
    Also on the first smoke signals forum, no?

I have watched a handful of movies and more tv shows on the Note 3 in a car or hotel, but never saw the attraction of doing it regularly.

There's some consolation or encouragement from the blog.
    The upcoming premium Tab S2 8.0" will have an sd slot, but tablets are maybe different and not something you need all the time.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...y-tab-s2-specs
    07-20-2015 12:56 PM

I hope the cost of larger internal storage will come down to match the higher needs of future devices, but maybe not this year.
    Or, this decade?
    Also on the first smoke signals forum, no?
    Yup, that was me. The lack of a way to store smoke signals seriously affected the capability of early phones! (Little known fact...)
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-20-2015 01:03 PM
    Or, this decade?

Yup, that was me. The lack of a way to store smoke signals seriously affected the capability of early phones! (Little known fact...)
    LOL. I was there too.

As for young people who now have little batteries to power on their messaging devices....
    .... they don't know they're born!
    monsieurms likes this.
    07-20-2015 01:20 PM
    I am thinking about Iphone now also. I was on the Samsung wagon because I like having options but if they want to copy Iphone then why not go with the real thing?
    Because the Note 5 has way more features than an iPhone will ever have. Just the Spen alone is enough. I will never understand why someone who uses android would ever go to a more inferior OS with less features. It's beyond me.
    07-20-2015 01:42 PM
    ?
    Sorry, I just get fed up explaining why I would choose an alternative because Samsung have gotten rid of the sealed in battery and SD slot. It kind of annoys me when people ask would I not stay with Samsung. If Samsung have removed two features that differentiates them from other manufacturers, then obviously I'm going to look at other factors when deciding on which phone to get.

Posted via the Android Central App
    monsieurms and jefmoody like this.
    07-20-2015 02:10 PM
    Sorry, I just get fed up explaining why I would choose an alternative because Samsung have gotten rid of the sealed in battery and SD slot. It kind of annoys me when people ask would I not stay with Samsung. If Samsung have removed two features that differentiates them from other manufacturers, then obviously I'm going to look at other factors when deciding on which phone to get.

LG makes good phones with removable batteries and SD cards.
    monsieurms and far_star like this.
    07-20-2015 02:12 PM
    I don't really see the issue. With the Note 2,3, and 4 I have never swapped the battery out as it is a pain- remove case, pry back off, shut down phone, replace battery, power up, replace back, replace case. .
    Power down: less than 15 seconds
    Case off, back off, battery replaced, and case and back put back on--about 15 seconds (actually, may've been 14--just timed it)
    Boot up is the slowest--takes me about 30 seconds to get to lock screen

Total: just a bit over 1 minute. I would agree some cases are particularly cumbersome. Don't know what you're using. But 1 minute. Sure is faster than sitting with a charger waiting for a reasonable amount of juice to accrue, especially if you need to be on the move.
    07-20-2015 02:28 PM
    LG makes good phones with removable batteries and SD cards.
    Hi mate,

I understand that, and I probably would try LG if I was in the market for an upgrade. I have a Note 4 though so I won't be for a while. I'm just talking about doomsday when there's no removable batteries available.

monsieurms likes this.
    07-20-2015 02:56 PM
    You need to look first at the Galaxy Note Edge. It is the Edge version of the Note 4. It is still the finest phone ever! The screen is everything you saw in the note 4 plus the "working" edge that does a lot of things the 6 Edge only wishes it could do. It also has removable battery and memory!
    07-20-2015 03:34 PM
    Hi mate,

I understand that, and I probably would try LG if I was in the market for an upgrade. I have a Note 4 though so I won't be for a while. I'm just talking about doomsday when there's no removable batteries available.

OK. Makes more sense
    07-20-2015 03:38 PM
    OK. Makes more sense
    Apologies..didn't mean to be rude earlier.

07-20-2015 04:56 PM
    Apologies..didn't mean to be rude earlier.

No offense taken. It is hard to understand sometimes through text.
    07-20-2015 05:30 PM
    Deal breaker! I use my Galaxy Note 4 heavily through out the day. After 6 hours of solid use (games, Spotify, Web browsing, and bluetooth) , I have to either charge the phone (50% in 30 minutes) or swap out the battery with a spare (100% in < 2 minutes). I also bought an extended battery with twice the capacity for GPS based gaming such as Ingress and Geocaching. It would be a huge let down if Samsung sealed the backs of their devices. I would very likely switch to the LG known for it's camera despite their dim screens.
    07-21-2015 08:47 AM
    Samsung can call any phone they want a Note 5 but to everyone else on the planet a Note is a phone with special features and hardware that was present in the Note line since the first Note release.

Without the special Note features it's just another over priced Samsung phone.

It doesn't matter which features YOU use or don't use;they all need to be present to make it a Note.

Is the S6 worthy of being in the S class or not?
    monsieurms likes this.
    07-21-2015 09:37 AM
    Deal breaker! I use my Galaxy Note 4 heavily through out the day. After 6 hours of solid use (games, Spotify, Web browsing, and bluetooth) , I have to either charge the phone (50% in 30 minutes) or swap out the battery with a spare (100% in < 2 minutes). I also bought an extended battery with twice the capacity for GPS based gaming such as Ingress and Geocaching. It would be a huge let down if Samsung sealed the backs of their devices. I would very likely switch to the LG known for it's camera despite their dim screens.
    If LG keeps up with the removable battery on their upcoming flagships, we always said that Sammy would never remove the removable battery on the Note line and here we are.

Anyhow, nothing has been confirmed but rumors/supposed leak so let's play the waiting game and see fi it's true. After all Samsung knows their Note line fans.
    07-21-2015 09:37 AM
    I think in the minds of Samsung a Note series is a large hi res screen device with a unique wacom Pen and innovative note creating and merging software features, that they will improve on in their eyes every year.

The fact that removable batteries and sd card expansion were flavour of the month since the Note 2, (how many bought the original Note), but now not so much, doesn't mean the Note 5 is not a further advance in the Note line - in their eyes.

The fact that you and I may turn away from it because of the lack of those features this year, but may accept it on the Note 6 as inevitable, with further new local storage options emerging possibly by then, doesn't mean Samsung haven't fulfilled their commitment to the Note series in their eyes.

When has anyone heard from a Samsung spokesperson?
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    07-21-2015 10:16 AM
    Thing that gets me is that if a phone has a sealed battery, it is useless after a period of time. I like to use my old phones as GPS units in my car (Tasker and WiFi hotspot). It'd really suck if Samsung ditches the removable battery.

The SD card is another matter. While I would prefer one, I could live without it.
    anon8380037 and Jalopiejoe like this.
    07-21-2015 10:41 AM
    The note edge might just do it for me.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-21-2015 12:08 PM
    No SD card might be a deal breaker with me, I think I can live with a sealed in battery - especially with a speedy recharge. But I keep a lot of stuff, on mulitple SD cards. Hmmm... I don't forsee myself switching to another phone because I use the S-Pen a lot. However, I would wait to see if the Note 6 brought the SD card feature back, assuming that it won't be in the Note V.

monsieurms likes this.
    07-21-2015 12:28 PM
    I consider myself a power user in the sense that I use the Note 4 as a phone, browser, media player, calendar,a, camera, sketchbook, and notebook on a daily basis. A battery rarely lasts me a day through all that and even though the Quick charger is amazing, it wasn't until I first tried a removable battery that I decided I'd never go back to an iPhone. If Samsung removes that feature in the next version, I'll either stick with the 4 or try the Edge.
    I'll add that I sometimes work on marketing for Samsung andand have grown increasingly frustrated at how stubbornly they continue to copy Apple instead of differentiating themselves. Who knows, maybe I'll try a Xaomi next.
    monsieurms likes this.
    07-21-2015 06:09 PM
    I only keep my phone for up to a year. A sealed battery I can live with. Lack of a SD card will sadden me.

Sent from Elegance
    07-21-2015 06:43 PM
1,007 ... 1314151617 ...