Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely agree. The exact scenario with the phone failure on the trip happened to my daughter on her recent school trip with her Nexus 5 (less than 6 months old). I have always liked to have sd card and removable battery on my phone rather to have so called premium build. What is the point to have a piece of jewelery which is to be replaced after year or so. I don't mind plastic phone because I am keeping it in the case regardless of the phone material. I have Note 3 and I am very happy with it. If Samsung keep making iS and iNote there is always LG with their G phones.

I agree completely, I believe Samsung is making a big mistake doing away with the replaceable battery!

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
There has been good dialog around the SD card possibly being removed on the Note 5 and it having a sealed battery.

Just to be clear regarding some comments that stated the Note's main differentiator was the SD slot. To me that's false. What made the Note series different from all other devices on the market were it's display size and S-pen feature. It was not an SD card or removable battery. Every other Android device on the market had card slots and removable batteries.

Anyone threatening to move to an Apple device from the potential shift by Samsung will do so for reasons other than an SD or sealed battery. Why do I say this? Because you're running to an Apple device that has the same exact drawbacks of the Note 5 device, potentially. Apple has had sealed batteries since the 1st iphone and I have yet to hear their following making noise about degraded battery. Nor do their customers demand expandable storage. To boot, Apple's base continues to surge year over year even with no expanded storage and a sealed battery.

So, why fault Samsung for changing their strategy when Apple has PROVEN SD cards and removable batteries aren't necessary. And by the way I phones have been the best built devices to date.

People don't like change, I get that. Perhaps change is the only way for Samsung to be more viable in the smartphone marketplace, seeing Apple still takes their lunch.

Last edited:

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have mixed feelings on whether this is a good move by Samsung or not. Only time will tell.

Certainly geeks like ourselves are the minority of smartphone users. Power users who love to tinker with their phones to try and squeeze out as much performance and battery life as possible. I get that.

Removing these features is definitely a risk and Samsung had received mixed reviews in removing them from the S6. I do think that the majority of general Note users won't be deterred from buying the Note 5. Even if I don't agree with it completely.

I think it's better for the line between the two be more pronounced. I personally don't like the fact that Samsung is becoming more and more like Apple when it comes to their smartphones. Which is why companies other than the big names are starting to become more successful. They're not trying to just be like everyone else. It's what makes Android so cool.

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You must be an 'in town' person. Lots of reliable WiFi and cell service.

I spend a lot of time in the mountains, in state and national parks. There are often fairly large gaps in cell towers here. Verizon does the best job, but not 100%.
I use my Note 4 for maps. Most of the multiple map programs I carry require data storage on the device for the maps. Online mapping is often useless. I have a 32GB Note 4 and the internal memory is filled. Well, it has about 2GB free. I have a 64GB SD card installed and plan to upgrade to 128GB soon. It is filled to the max with photos and a few videos, and I run a backup program to backup the main storage to the external storage. So basically, I have over 90GB of storage used.
You can say, "but you don't need blah, or you don't need blah". Sure, I guess I don't even need the Note 4. I WANT to carry that much with me. So I want expandable storage. I do not want Samsung, or anyone else dictating what I do or do not do with my device, I want the flexibility to chose for myself. A card slot does that.

You are correct. I am an "in town" person. I always have reliable WiFi and network coverage.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't really think of this option as it doesn't really affect me.

I guess we will see what they come out with and, as always, it comes down to each individual person using what phone and OS best suits their needs.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
There has been good dialog around the SD card possibly being removed on the Note 5 and it having a sealed battery.

Just to be clear regarding some comments that stated the Note's main differentiator was the SD slot. To me that's false.....
People don't like change, I get that. Perhaps change is the only way for Samsung to be more viable in the smartphone marketplace, seeing Apple still takes their lunch.

It's not so clear that Apple takes their lunch. Apple has bled market share to Android in general over the last few years, particularly internationally, finally being forced to give up its stated principles and release a big screen phone. That's because of competition from Android on an issue where Samsung was clearly the leader. Second, it's not a question of not liking change. It's a question of people losing things that they find useful, if not essential. There have been many practical examples given in this thread. Yep, Apple users manage to survive. Yet, somehow when Apple released a big screen phone, they also flocked to it. Guess they needed it after all and just didn't know it? :)

As for what differentiates 6+ from Note 5--that is an answer that will depend on the individual. There used to be 3 deal-breaker differentiators for ME--screen sizes, sd cards and batteries--now there are two, but maybe not for long. Others may have a different answer. I like the s-pen, but frankly NOT a deal breaker. I'm sure others feel differently and might continue to choose Samsung for it. Needs and choices differ.

Last edited:

DDRundo

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is using the new UFS 2.0 standard for storage and I believe it is not compatible with an SD card. I think they will also seal in the battery and make the back of the device non-removable. The only exception to these two issues for a Note user are: 1) Make the base storage amount 64GB. 2) Make the battery large, like 3600 mAh or larger. That way, most people will find that it still has a great amount of storage and battery life. You're also paying a premium price for this device, so make it well worth it Sammy

BoB16731

May 7, 2013
Visit site
im just about banking the note 5 will drop the

removeable battery and the SDcard the note line has always followed suit with the galaxy s line

galaxy s6 lost it so if they continue the trend its gone on the note 5 too and everything i have seen/read is leaning that way

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If the note 5 has 128GB or better internal storage it might save it. My notes (1,2 &3) have all had SD cards, but 64 GB was (is) my largest.
Then there's the price.
I'm surmising that the specs are set in stone now, so our suggestions are pointless now.
Why you'd move to an iOS device without a SD card and replaceable battery is beyond me when there are other Android devices out there.
Samsung may well be making a big mistake, Selling us fewer features for more money.
IPhone 6plus 5.5" screen? There are plenty of android devices with this smaller screen.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Have many here had sd failures in the past where it has affected the performance and battery drain of the device?
Do you think current higher end cards from SanDisk and Samsung are more stable and long-term reliable?

Do you back those cards up (excluding movies, which I assume you can afford to lose - you may have purchased online or copied from another device)

.How much space do some people need for documents? If you want to be able to hot swap documents to another pc or device you may need to keep a full sd adapter or usb reader - (how many laptops / macs / desktops have micro sd cards? I don't know) -
so another item to lose or forget (they can fit more easily in a wallet/purse but can be lost).

If there will not be an sd slot, how much more difficult to carry one of these, you will have seen, and play movies etc from it (no cable):

http://www.sandisk.com/products/mobile-flash-drives/dualdrive30/
255c6cbdd4c093739d82f24e9e428e58.jpg

3. For movies in the wild, do you view them on a 5.7" screen in your hand and bend your neck down for 2 hours, or mount the screen precariously somewhere?
In hotels or away do you connect or stream to a tv?

I will take an sd slot over not having one, but surely it's not as critical as some believe.

A $100 - 120 premium (on launch) for a 128gb over a 32gb Note 5 would seem a fair trade currently.

(but it will likely cost more of course - ^ BigBloc stole my thunder above )

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
DITTO...You nailed my situation exactly (Note 3)!
The phone was in a case before I walked out of the store with it, I don't need to charge because I have a fully charged Battery ready to swap. I also swap the SD into the new phone before I sell the old one!

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Those thinking of moving to the Note 5...

I am thinking about Iphone now also. I was on the Samsung wagon because I like having options but if they want to copy Iphone then why not go with the real thing?

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

I've been reading a lot of your comments lately regarding this topic.

To be honest I'm ready to sacrifice space for speed.(This is the same discussion as back in the day of SSD vs HDD when the first SSDs were released)

To start with, I use lots of clouds so I'm fine with uploading my 4k videos to it once im in Wi-Fi range.

Now regarding the battery life, I'm confident that with the Exynos 7422 being made with 14nm plus with 3000+ mAH the phone is gonna last and last without even taking in account the phone will ship with probably Lollipop 5.1.

I'm okay with not being removable if the battery life is in fact quite good with the 14nm FinFET and a huge capacity, but I can't accept a non removable one like the Galaxy S6 for example... It just burns too fast.

Anyhow this is my opinion on this topic.. I'm okay with sacrificing the SD Card for LPDDR4/UFS2.0.

P.S : I do understand some people might want to still have SD card or being able to remove their battery, but for me it's okay to sacrifice those things.. But then again we shouldn't be forced to use clouds to back up stuff.. Thankfully there is Note 4 on the market.

But if we go with LPDDR4 in the future I hope devices are at least 32-64gb minimum of base model memory.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Have many here had sd failures in the past where it has affected the performance and battery drain of the device?...

Do you back those cards up (excluding movies, which I assume you can afford to lose - you may have purchased online or copied from another device)

.How much space do some people need for documents? ...
If there will not be an sd slot, how much more difficult to carry one of these, you will have seen, and play movies etc from it (no cable):

3. For movies in the wild, do you view them on a 5.7" screen in your hand and bend your neck down for 2 hours, or mount the screen precariously somewhere?
In hotels or away do you connect or stream to a tv?

I will take an sd slot over not having one, but surely it's not as critical as some believe.

A $100 - 120 premium (on launch) for a 128gb over a 32gb Note 5 would seem a fair trade currently.

(but it will likely cost more of course - ^ BigBloc stole my thunder above )
Hi, Madd.....I'll take a crack, but those were a lot of questions!

I've never had a card fail in a device. I go back a long way. (Recently, I was told by this site that I was one of the first 10 people who joined this site in 1999, when it was VisorCentral, and was still active!)

Documents don't take much space. I think over the years the people who want space tend to be media junkies. I don't need to back those things up--they are only copies from my hard drive or the cloud in the first place. They are on a card so I (a) have them available; and (b) don't have to stream.

I can only giggle at the people going "just give me a 64gb hard drive." That doesn't come close. When they come out with 256 internal memory, I'm in if it costs $10. :) No, I am definitely not holding my breath, and the largest size I hear about is 128--which gives me less than I now have with my 128gb card and 32gb device. The truth is to get the space I want, it will probably cost an extra $100 to buy it again (and again) with each new phone purchase. Makes no sense. Really, aren't these phones expensive enough? There's a limit to everything. What Samsung is doing is increasing the costs of ownership with hidden gotchas and gimmes. It's like airlines first making you check bags and then charging you for checked bags.

Adapter: an adapter is one more thing to forget. And try putting the phone in your pocket with one. ;) It's easy to bend, break, you can't rest the phone down, etc. They weren't intended to be more or less permanent fixtures. They've been around a long time. There's nothing new there. It's fine for offloading or onloading stuff, but for permanent storage, things I use regularly--not a very convenient solution.

To answer your last q: Most of my storage is audio in nature, but I have on occasion wanted to watch some movies. It's not my preferred choice to do so on a 5.7 screen, but the times I've done it have been better than I thought it would be (and better than nothing). It just matters where you put the screen. One item you forgot, too, is modern HD video. That chews up space in a HURRY. If you're on a 3 week vacation, and you have a 64gb card that's largely filled, you may be seriously screwed if you have no headroom.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Madd.....I'll take a crack, but those were a lot of questions!

I've never had a card fail in a device. I go back a long way. (Recently, I was told by this site that I was one of the first 10 people who joined this site in 1999, when it was VisorCentral, and was still active!)

Documents don't take much space. I think over the years the people who want space tend to be media junkies. I don't need to back those things up--they are only copies from my hard drive or the cloud in the first place. They are on a card so I (a) have them available; and (b) don't have to stream.

I can only giggle at the people going "just give me a 64gb hard drive." That doesn't come close. When they come out with 256 internal memory, I'm in if it costs $10. :) No, I am definitely not holding my breath, and the largest size I hear about is 128--which gives me less than I now have with my 128gb card and 32gb device. The truth is to get the space I want, it will probably cost an extra $100 to buy it again (and again) with each new phone purchase. Makes no sense. Really, aren't these phones expensive enough? There's a limit to everything. What Samsung is doing is increasing the costs of ownership with hidden gotchas and gimmes. It's like airlines first making you check bags and then charging you for checked bags.

Adapter: an adapter is one more thing to forget. And try putting the phone in your pocket with one. ;) It's easy to bend, break, you can't rest the phone down, etc. They weren't intended to be more or less permanent fixtures. They've been around a long time. There's nothing new there. It's fine for offloading or onloading stuff, but for permanent storage, things I use regularly--not a very convenient solution.

To answer your last q: Most of my storage is audio in nature, but I have on occasion wanted to watch some movies. It's not my preferred choice to do so on a 5.7 screen, but the times I've done it have been better than I thought it would be (and better than nothing). It just matters where you put the screen. One item you forgot, too, is modern HD video. That chews up space in a HURRY. If you're on a 3 week vacation, and you have a 64gb card that's largely filled, you may be seriously screwed if you have no headroom.
Not quite my point about external thumb drives and adaptors, or documents either, but I see what you mean.

I hope the cost of larger internal storage will come down to match the higher needs of future devices, but maybe not this year.

Samsung should see that there are very good new mid range devices with large screens, so can't charge too much of a premium for flagships, good though their hardware is. Then I don't see Samsung as a normal western company who gauge their customers preferences as important considerations.

I knew you were in the first 10 here, I mentioned it a while ago.
Also on the first smoke signals forum, no? :)

I have watched a handful of movies and more tv shows on the Note 3 in a car or hotel, but never saw the attraction of doing it regularly.

There's some consolation or encouragement from the blog.
The upcoming premium Tab S2 8.0" will have an sd slot, but tablets are maybe different and not something you need all the time.
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-specs

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope the cost of larger internal storage will come down to match the higher needs of future devices, but maybe not this year.
Or, this decade? :)
Also on the first smoke signals forum, no? :)

Yup, that was me. The lack of a way to store smoke signals seriously affected the capability of early phones! (Little known fact...)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Or, this decade? :)

Yup, that was me. The lack of a way to store smoke signals seriously affected the capability of early phones! (Little known fact...)
LOL. I was there too.

As for young people who now have little batteries to power on their messaging devices....
.... they don't know they're born!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

I am thinking about Iphone now also. I was on the Samsung wagon because I like having options but if they want to copy Iphone then why not go with the real thing?

Because the Note 5 has way more features than an iPhone will ever have. Just the Spen alone is enough. I will never understand why someone who uses android would ever go to a more inferior OS with less features. It's beyond me.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, I just get fed up explaining why I would choose an alternative because Samsung have gotten rid of the sealed in battery and SD slot. It kind of annoys me when people ask would I not stay with Samsung. If Samsung have removed two features that differentiates them from other manufacturers, then obviously I'm going to look at other factors when deciding on which phone to get.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I just get fed up explaining why I would choose an alternative because Samsung have gotten rid of the sealed in battery and SD slot. It kind of annoys me when people ask would I not stay with Samsung. If Samsung have removed two features that differentiates them from other manufacturers, then obviously I'm going to look at other factors when deciding on which phone to get.

Posted via the Android Central App

LG makes good phones with removable batteries and SD cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.