08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    You should have seen the photos ugh
    I still wouldn't take that as credible though. Some Samsung, AT&T, or any rep say things that end up being different with the actual device. Some reps are even clueless as to the phones they represent in my experience
    Yeh. Been there seen that, been there done that, over and over. Except there are a few now and again who really know there stuff and can fix things.
    Carphone Warehouse especially, our Best Buy.
    I couldn't see anything clearly on my small Moto G or his phone.

I won't go in to a store in my pyjamas ever again, that's for sure.
    smooth4lyfe and Jalopiejoe like this.
    07-23-2015 01:38 PM
    As far as I have seen, all of the "images" online showing the bottom of the device have been renders and not actual pics of the device. I just wouldn't put too much stock in it not having a more traditional mechanism to remove the stylus
    Gotcha. Thanks.
    07-23-2015 02:09 PM
    Got to have a removable battery for me to consider getting it. Otherwise, I'll stick with my Note 4.
    Jalopiejoe and tadpoles like this.
    07-23-2015 05:49 PM
    As long as the GNOTE5 has an MicroSD card. I will purchase it. If not GNOTE4 will be my phone for another year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 and monsieurms like this.
    07-24-2015 06:08 AM
    Big thread!

1. Android treats ram (IMO poor design decision) as a giant stack register, so fills it almost all up. If they put 4GB, you will end up with about the same free ram as 3GB. The only way this will not happen is if you do not have enough apps installed to fill the ram up.

2. I would say a 10% chance of a replaceable battery

3. About 50% chance of an sd card

4. The media latched on to a Sprint place holder and a rendered case photo for the sd slot- very iffy. Nice if true though

5. Samsung must operate in an opaque bubble if they think they can get rid of both features and not take a big sales hit with the Note.
    Preach2k likes this.
    07-24-2015 07:49 AM
    Big thread!

1. Android treats ram (IMO poor design decision) as a giant stack register, so fills it almost all up. If they put 4GB, you will end up with about the same free ram as 3GB. The only way this will not happen is if you do not have enough apps installed to fill the ram up.

4. The media latched on to a Sprint place holder and a rendered case photo for the sd slot- very iffy. Nice if true though

5. Samsung must operate in an opaque bubble if they think they can get rid of both features and not take a big sales hit with the Note.
    I can't agree with you on point one, but think you're close on 2 and 3.

4 gb ram will be mildly more beneficial. We're not looking for more free space, just more available and waiting in ram.

I can't remember where I read recently, but there is a higher possibility to me than previously thought that an sd slot will be available.

My money would be on neither though.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    07-24-2015 08:07 AM
    I can't agree with you on point one, but think you're close on 2 and 3.

4 gb ram will be mildly more beneficial. We're not looking for more free space, just more available and waiting in ram.

I can't remember where I read recently, but there is a higher possibility to me than previously thought that an sd slot will be available.

My money would be on neither though.
    The big difference with ram is in the future. App for app, not a big difference because of how android stacks, but a year or two from now when 4 or even 5 gb is the industry standard, apps are going to use more memory and that is when you will stay to see a big difference in performance between 3 and 4 gb.

Frankly the bigger issue for Samsung is whether they can differentiate the note device from its competitors and 4 g would help with that. Based on the rumors, some other features are doing away so this device will need something else to hold its market share

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-24-2015 08:38 AM

2. I would say a 10% chance of a replaceable battery - 0%

3. About 50% chance of an sd card - 0%
    Just sayin.....
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-24-2015 08:45 AM
    07-24-2015 10:39 AM
    True but with Android (unlike other OS) that is a good thing. That means more things can be loaded into the RAM for quicker access... So more RAM means more things opening faster and such. The free RAM isn't an issue.
    smooth4lyfe and Preach2k like this.
    07-24-2015 10:39 AM
    So happy its 4GB of ram and not 3GB
    07-24-2015 10:49 AM
    Yea, but not happy it's the same processor as the S6. I held off on the S6 because I figured the Note 5 would be better in almost every way but it looks like it's just going to be internally the same as the S6 on a bigger screen. :/
    07-24-2015 11:04 AM
    Yea, but not happy it's the same processor as the S6. I held off on the S6 because I figured the Note 5 would be better in almost every way but it looks like it's just going to be internally the same as the S6 on a bigger screen. :/
    I actually prefer the Exynos processor to Qualcomm. It works pretty good and its fast so I dont mind it being the same
    I'm more happy about the 4GB of ram because its a noticeable difference to 3GB in my experience
    07-24-2015 11:23 AM
    It'll be a performance monster, I've "heard" it's getting almost 70K on Antutu benchmarks
    07-24-2015 12:22 PM
    The negative though being this means the Sprint place holder had zero intel, since both the chipset and ram size were wrong. This by default means the sd slot would be bogus info too. The case render... not even worth a serious thought right now IMO.

Sadly the same sources who apparently correctly reported 4GB ram are also the more persistent there is no sd slot or replaceable battery. Giant S6 with pen. Great consolation my Note 4 still rocks

And I can replace the battery if needed to keep it so for another year Try THAT Note 5. Patooey!
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    07-24-2015 12:30 PM
    The negative though being this means the Sprint place holder had zero intel, since both the chipset and ram size were wrong. This by default means the sd slot would be bogus info too. The case render... not even worth a serious thought right now IMO.

Sadly the same sources who apparently correctly reported 4GB ram are also the more persistent there is no sd slot or replaceable battery. Giant S6 with pen. Great consolation my Note 4 still rocks

And I can replace the battery if needed to keep it so for another year Try THAT Note 5. Patooey!
    Eh, I was already convinced there was no removable battery. I'm ok with the non-removable battery. When I had my S5 I never really switched batteries out as much as I thought
    I am just happy with the 4GB of ram and bigger battery, which is what draws me to it, especially if it will last all day anyways
    07-24-2015 01:15 PM
    Big thread!

You would think they would learn from the bad sales of the S6. GNOTE5 needs the MicroSD.

Ntchwaidumela and monsieurms like this.
    07-24-2015 01:29 PM
    You would think they would learn from the bad sales of the S6. GNOTE5 needs the MicroSD.

Agreed, but the lead-time window would have been knowing about it at least eight months ago, in relation to launching worldwide in August. My guess is Samsung will spin and lie like they did with the S6 sales numbers and the media will fall for it once again- just like the Sprint place holder saying the N5 had an SD slot

The catch is this time the analysts are ready and have a definite pathology that Samsung has been following lately for distorting numbers. The Toshiba scandal does not help as far as analysts being paranoid for the trade firms they represent. IF the Note 5 is really a giant S6 with pen, this could get real ugly real fast and Samsung will be exposed in a bad way.

This is LG's big chance to gain share since they have a Note competitor coming out in October with 5.8" 1440p display and 32gB/64GB choices with replaceable battery and SD slot. You can guarantee LG is hoping Samsung continues their near suicidal Apple wannabe fetish.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    07-24-2015 02:45 PM

It's not like they could make a change this late in the development process. I guarantee they will be getting ready to start prototyping NEXT year's galaxy note in the next few months. It's a long process.
    07-24-2015 02:45 PM
    This is LG's big chance to gain share since they have a Note competitor coming out in October with 5.8" 1440p display and 32gB/64GB choices with replaceable battery and SD slot. You can guarantee LG is hoping Samsung continues their near suicidal Apple wannabe fetish.
    Unfortunately, the G4 isn't selling well either. At least, not to expectations.

It seems like the only large player that is gaining market share is Apple. The Chinese companies are making up ground in other parts of the world, though.
    07-24-2015 02:51 PM
    True but with Android (unlike other OS) that is a good thing. That means more things can be loaded into the RAM for quicker access... So more RAM means more things opening faster and such. The free RAM isn't an issue.
    Not necessarily. The increase in RAM is more so to keep pace with upgrades in OS, Apps, skins, HD gaming, features etc. As these things become more RAM intensive (use more to operate) having more is better for a smoother experience combined with increased processing power. More things probably won't be loaded into RAM if everything else increases in the amount needed to operate.
    07-24-2015 06:09 PM
    Not necessarily. The increase in RAM is more so to keep pace with upgrades in OS, Apps, skins, HD gaming, features etc. As these things become more RAM intensive (use more to operate) having more is better for a smoother experience combined with increased processing power. More things probably won't be loaded into RAM if everything else increases in the amount needed to operate.
    I understand this - the person I was responding to said having more RAM won't help due to Android not leaving the RAM free... So I was explaining why it is good for Android to use up the RAM.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    07-24-2015 11:17 PM
    If the Note 5 doesn't have removable batteries...that would be fine by me, but I hope they keep the SD card clot. I don't think I would upgrade for a while if the Note 5 doesn't have that capability.
    07-25-2015 04:47 AM
    I'm trying to go through the rumors of the past few months, and what are we getting? I think 1 gig of RAM.

is that right. I mean, yeah faster processor, yada yada.

But my toy needs toys!

Don't tell me about power users. I drain my zerolemon on my note 3 daily. My phone is my only real internet option.
    If you were a power user you'd be on a Linux desktop.
    So. No USB-C. No big (ger) screen. BATTERY, SD CARD dead. Gone.
    So we shell over a grand for, effectively less phone.
    Some song and dance on how Samsung has been using the wrong memory all this time. But the phone still gives you cancer?
    Seriously. Am I going to pay a $grand to bump to a new and unproven (in the market) tech.
    Yeah. I don't think so. I may go watch the fireworks on nexus 2015 for a few months. Or see if LG has a clue.
    Jalopiejoe and tadpoles like this.
    07-25-2015 07:01 AM
    From my experience, the case renders are pretty much accurate in terms of how the phone will actually look. It was the same with the S5 and S6 case renders that were shown before the phone actually released and ended up looking the same. I bet that the case manufacturers get a dummy phone of the actual device before release, which is how they are able to make the case designs and renders and release them before the phone actually comes out
    I agree 100%

Those case pics that are on Amazons website....

Amazon.com: Galaxy Note 5 Case - Ringke FUSION ***All New Dust Free Cap & Drop Protection*** [FREE Screen Protector for Front and Back][CRYSTAL VIEW] Premium Crystal Clear Back Shock Absorption Bumper Hard Case with Free HD Screen Film for Samsung Ga

If i were a betting man I would put a lot of money on that being what the phone will look like when released.
    smooth4lyfe and Jalopiejoe like this.
    07-25-2015 08:24 AM
1,007 ... 1718192021 ...