08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 2728293031 ...
tools
    Probably the only one would be LG G4

The new Motos dont have removable battery but have SD

The new Nexus coming out probably wont either as they never had in the past.

Sony's usually have SD card but NO removable battery.
    08-06-2015 06:30 AM
    Why don't you think the Note 5 will be a flagship device? It's specs will be tops on the market, if that's your thing. I don't see Sammie missing the mark on a lot.

The lack of SD slot and sealed battery didn't make the nexus 6 any less worthy of being a Nexus device. The same will hold true for the Note 5 IF that's the direction it's moving towards.

The new Moto will have a sealed battery and balanced pricing which, is nothing new for them. The Note has always been a pricey device and with more premium build materials used it's only natural to expect a cost increase.

I wouldn't discredit the Note 5 before an official announcement although, I do realize it won't appeal to everyone.
    Yes, many specs of the of the Note 5 will be among the best out there, but for users the battery and SD card are very important. Also, the sealed battery is also smaller than the Note 4, which I think is a valid concern especially after all of the battery concerns that have been raised on the S6.
    Adawg1203 and bigbuc like this.
    08-06-2015 06:47 AM
    The best option right now if you want both is the LG G4.

However, do wait for the LG G4 Pro that's coming real soon.

If you don't mind a phone from last year, the Note 4 is still a wonderful phone.
    gendo667 likes this.
    08-06-2015 07:08 AM
    Although I am disliking the direction the Note 5 is going, I don't think the Note 5 will flop.

While sales might be lower due to the number of the Note faithful moving to LG or another manufacturer with an SD card slot and removable battery, some people might not mind the lack of those 2 because the S Pen remains.

Though all the rumors suggesting an E7420 (not the newer E7422 that's a lot smaller) and a 3000mAh battery instead of a much-nicer 4100mAh unit has had me worried sick. Samsung seems to be doing the same thing with the S6 and that's sacrificing functionality for design, and for the Note faithful, that's not a good thing.
    08-06-2015 07:10 AM
    Okay, it seems that we have threads asking guys what they want from the Note 5.

However, it's time for something different. What do you NOT WANT to see?

The following is mine
    • 64GB not being the base storage
    • A smaller battery for the sake of a thinner profile
    • The same overly-horrendous RAM management from the S6
    • No expandable storage and removable battery without compensation

That's about it.
    08-06-2015 07:19 AM
    The only thing I really dislike is the apparent smaller battery. Everything else like it being removable and SD card doesn't bother me. The majority of people don't have access to an extra battery and have time to charge two anyway.

The smaller battery is inexcusable though, IMO.

And for those who threaten to go to an iPhone, then go and enjoy spending more money on a device less capable in nearly every aspect. But at least you can show your anger at Samsung for making a device without removable battery and SD card, even if your wallet will be more empty. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
    gendo667 and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    08-06-2015 07:20 AM
    So what do we know for sure so far?

Here is my list (I don't think I have left anything out) :

..... phew!
    08-06-2015 07:20 AM
    The only thing I really dislike is the apparent smaller battery. Everything else like it being removable and SD card doesn't bother me. The majority of people don't have access to an extra battery and have time to charge two anyway.

The smaller battery is inexcusable though, IMO.

And for those who threaten to go to an iPhone, then go and enjoy spending more money on a device less capable in nearly every aspect. But at least you can show your anger at Samsung for making a device without removable battery and SD card, even if your wallet will be more empty. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
    People buy iPhones for the "cool" factor.

They are great phones, but they aren't special in any way. It's just a phone, and yet, some people treat it like it's some sort of religious God or something.
    MrMorgado likes this.
    08-06-2015 07:28 AM
    So what do we know for sure so far?

Here is my list (I don't think I have left anything out) :

..... phew!
    I'll add to it

Exynos 7420
    4GB RAM
    Sealed 3000 mAh Battery
    No SD Slot
    16 MP rear camera (most likely same as in the GS6)
    5 MP front camera
    2560x1440 5.7 inch (roughly) screen
    32 GB base storage

At least that's what "some" would say.....
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-06-2015 07:49 AM

The following is mine

That's about it.
    64GB not being the base storage - Will most likely be 32 GB base
    A smaller battery for the sake of a thinner profile - Should be around 3000 mAh, at least that's the word on the street
    The same overly-horrendous RAM management from the S6 - Probably so
    No expandable storage and removable battery without compensation - Well it doesn't have an SD slot and it has a sealed battery (according to leaks), I wouldn't expect any "compensation"
    08-06-2015 07:55 AM
    I couldn't resist. Picture CrackBerry, January 2013:
    That is actually a very very apt analogy to what Samsung is doing with the Note 5, and after reading your post and thinking some more, you've changed my mind and I think you are right - this calculated risk Samsung is taking, trying to grab apple market share, is probably not going to work. It won't be the flop that the Z10 was for blackberry but it will be a set back for Sammy.
    MrMorgado and 21stNow like this.
    08-06-2015 08:01 AM
    64GB not being the base storage - Will most likely be 32 GB base
    A smaller battery for the sake of a thinner profile - Should be around 3000 mAh, at least that's the word on the street
    The same overly-horrendous RAM management from the S6 - Probably so
    No expandable storage and removable battery without compensation - Well it doesn't have an SD slot and it has a sealed battery (according to leaks), I wouldn't expect any "compensation"
    Pretty much, yeah.

That's why I'm getting less and less excited.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-06-2015 08:13 AM
    People buy iPhones for the "cool" factor.

They are great phones, but they aren't special in any way. It's just a phone, and yet, some people treat it like it's some sort of religious God or something.
    You are correct. There are basically two major factors in smartphone purchasing which drive the market. One is money and price, the other is knowledge and tech savvy. Apple has the high price / low information market cornered. Other than those people, their only market share is the Mac power users that have everything apple. Outside of Mac power users, their marketing and reputation has lots of people that don't understand the difference between 1 GB of ram and 4 GB of ram believing that their phone is the best phone from a hardware perspective. If you look at doctors, lawyers, basically rich people that are rarely tech savvy, they almost all carry iphone 6 plus or 6. If you actually get in a conversation with them about their phones, they are totally surprised to learn that the iphone has an outdated display, hardware specs I had on an android phone three years ago, a total inability to do half the things I rely on my phone for, and crappy battery life. A LARGE part of Apple's market share are older, less tech savvy people who truly believe they are buying the best hardware on the market with the iphone 6 and do not even comprehend the idea that there are dozens of features, software innovations, and hardware specs they are missing out on.

At the low price end of the spectrum, Android dominates in both high information and low information users. I do not truly believe that Samsung or any other Android OEM will significantly cut into Apple's market share until they begin presenting features that even low information, non-tech savvy people can understand - the edge screen was a perfect example, even my 60 year old mother could look at that in the store and say, wow, thats different and cool. She can't appreciate what NFC tags are, or why you would want to use them, but the edge screen is something she can understand.
    21stNow and MrMorgado like this.
    08-06-2015 08:14 AM
    I'll add to it

Exynos 7420
    4GB RAM
    Sealed 3000 mAh Battery
    No SD Slot
    16 MP rear camera (most likely same as in the GS6)
    5 MP front camera
    2560x1440 5.7 inch (roughly) screen
    32 GB base storage

At least that's what "some" would say.....
    I will take those from you as plausible, Mr Samsung!

I may have seen it's got a 3000, 4100 mah, 13 megaton thermonuclear rechargeable, replaceable battery.

Its got 32, 64, 128, 256 gb storage, expandable either by sd card or buying another one.

It's got a 5.7", 5.67", 5.66", 5.9" screen.

It's got a pen that you pull, push to eject or can read your brain waves and self ejects accordingly.

It can make and receive phone calls.

It can connect to the Internet, but you will have to pay for this separately.

It will have a camera

It will break

(we may as well have some fun. Still a week to go)

Could those reveals have been regional versions, or rejected prototypes?
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-06-2015 08:17 AM
    It will almost definitely have a battery, a screen and processor.

The s pen will be able to scramble eggs for you if you so choose.

It will give you the winning lottery numbers.

It will also tell you at what age you'll live to.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-06-2015 08:22 AM

The following is mine

That's about it.
    Well I hope your ready to be disappointed as all those things on your list have been pretty much confirmed at this point
    08-06-2015 08:30 AM
    I will take those from you as plausible, Mr Samsung!

I may have seen it's got a 3000, 4100 mah, 13 megaton thermonuclear rechargeable, replaceable battery.

Its got 32, 64, 128, 256 gb storage, expandable either by sd card or buying another one.

It's got a 5.7", 5.67", 5.66", 5.9" screen.

It's got a pen that you pull, push to eject or can read your brain waves and self ejects accordingly.

It can make and receive phone calls.

It can connect to the Internet, but you will have to pay for this separately.

It will have a camera

It will break

(we may as well have some fun. Still a week to go)

Could those reveals have been regional versions, or rejected prototypes?
    Truth be told with regards to Samsung it's entirely possible that they would have different versions based on region, at least that what history tells us about them
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-06-2015 08:34 AM
    Well I hope your ready to be disappointed as all those things on your list have been pretty much confirmed at this point
    Well, I already am ready to be disappointed.

I've already taken a look at other devices I'd be interested in.
    08-06-2015 08:36 AM
    It will almost definitely have a battery, a screen and processor.

The s pen will be able to scramble eggs for you if you so choose.

It will give you the winning lottery numbers.

It will also tell you at what age you'll live to.
    A Note 3 poster discovered a hidden nose picking function on the pen, which he kindly shared with the rest of us. (what a happy day that was)
    That should be carried over.

I didn't like your last one!

(I"ll shut up now )
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-06-2015 08:43 AM
    I will not replace my Note 4 with a Note 5 but if the Note 5 is really nice I may add one to my Note 4 so that my Note 4 doesn't feel lonely. My iPhone and Note 4 are always fighting, they both think they're better than the other and vying for attention. My Nexus 5 is kinda a snob and doesn't like either. So I may get a Note 5 and a 6s at some point to settle things down.

from the Elegance
    08-06-2015 08:48 AM
    Well its pretty obvious a lot of people seem unhappy with the latest spec releases that the Note 5 supposedly has, but is there anyone who is still looking forward to this phone??

I know I am. I will wait for reviews first before I make my decision, but I think it will be a good phone. This will be my first Note device.

I thought the S6 looked amazing with the front and black glass and the color shifting effect. It actually received a lot of praise, so I don't see much of a reason why Samsung should again change the design. I thought the curved back was a nice touch

The S6 camera was amazing, and using the same camera with a bigger screen, this will be even better to take pictures. I will be looking forward to what the pen can do with them.

The 4GB of ram is great news. Coming from a phone that has 4GB of ram (Asus Zenfone 2), the difference is noticeable compared to the S6. I know there are a lot of other factors such at the OS its using, but if the Note 4 handles like my Asus Zenfone 2, I will be really happy.

As for battery, I am honestly disappointed with the 3000mah news, but I am hoping that the Exynos will do justice in this area. I know with my S6, the standby time is amazing. I can get 12+ hours and still be at 80%. Difference is when I actually use the device, do I see the battery going down. I am hoping with this increase in size from the S6, it will fix this somewhat.

Stay positive people!
    08-06-2015 08:56 AM
    This is my basic breakdown of what I think the S7 should be to succeed. And I'll be a bit adventurous:

So basically, limiting further money and time on new technologies:

1. Retain the quad HD display......however, I would put in a Samsung innovation where you can change the display from Quad HD down to HD or less for power saving. In addition to standard power saving features such as limiting processor performance and changing the display to black and white.

2. Keep the cameras the same but bump up the rear to 20MP without sacrificing the f1.9 aperature. A xenon flash for the back and a led flash for the front. I am a big fan of my Sony compact camera that takes brilliant night photos that takes a rapid series of images then stitches them all together that hugely increases detail whilst eliminating noise. That is something that could be developed.

3. Dare to make the phone a tiny bit thicker and have a battery no less than 3500 mah.

4. Excellent front facing speakers that beat the HTC phones.

5. 128GB standard. To really win back other Android users, combine this with an SD card too. That is a hell of a lot of usable storage that a lot of people would absolutely love.

6. Consider returning to Qualcomm to save vasts amount of time and money researching and manufacturing your own processor. It works for Apple.

7. Radically cut down on bloatware. Allow users to remove all bloatware easily. And perhaps put in the settings a menu choice of a revamped TouchWiz or no TouchWiz at all, returning the phone to stock Android.

8. Make the Edge version only.

9. Whatever happened to the Android Silver program? Apparently it was scrapped. This is a bit of blue skying but what about Samsung working very closely with Google and coming to an agreement with its operating skin? Is there any conceivable way in which Google then could issue updates directly to Samsung phones like the Nexus phones? That would be a HUGE plus for Samsung. Please correct me if this is not possible but I have thought about it before.

There you go, these are my suggestions and the general direction of what I believe Samsung should do. The research on new, expensive technologies is kept to a minimum whilst maintaining a high amount of current class leading features.

What do you think?
    08-06-2015 09:06 AM
    I love that thing called "calculated risk". It is a wise move for Sammy and that's what I've admired them through the years. For sure, there will be bumps along the road, but I'm sure it's something they can handle.So, cheers!!
    08-06-2015 09:09 AM
    Ah, your first Note? That explains why you are still excited about the Note 5. I think you'd feel differently if you had a Note device previously, in particular the Note 4. In that case the Note 5 isn't very appealing as it has the same size screen, still works great with 3GB RAM and maintains a user-replaceable battery and SD card options, two big features every Note device has had up to this point. So the loss of them with the Note 5 is very hard to stomach and feels like two steps backward. Well, my two cents anyway...
    08-06-2015 09:11 AM
    I think the iPhone consumer rankings are:

1. Apple & iPhone ecosystem
    2. Style / "Coolness"
    3. Device (this is the consumer area where Samsung gained until Apple added bigger phones)

Samsung seems to think the lost margin of sales is due to not being more like Apple, but the reality is they lost it mainly due to iPhone displays getting bigger. Now Samsung has made decisions that should cause even more share to be lost. They lost the iPhone expatriates and now will lose some of their install base to Android competitors and the iPhone as well.

As far as losing the slot and going to storage sizes, if folks here understand how net present value is viewed at a company, the mix of different flash sizes would look really nice for this product line. Catch is they may be assuming sales will stay constant or grow. Seems the opposite would pan out.

We shall see how things pan out in the next four or five months.
    08-06-2015 09:13 AM
1,007 ... 2728293031 ...