08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 2829303132 ...
tools
    You are correct. There are basically two major factors in smartphone purchasing which drive the market. One is money and price, the other is knowledge and tech savvy. Apple has the high price / low information market cornered. Other than those people, their only market share is the Mac power users that have everything apple. Outside of Mac power users, their marketing and reputation has lots of people that don't understand the difference between 1 GB of ram and 4 GB of ram believing that their phone is the best phone from a hardware perspective. If you look at doctors, lawyers, basically rich people that are rarely tech savvy, they almost all carry iphone 6 plus or 6. If you actually get in a conversation with them about their phones, they are totally surprised to learn that the iphone has an outdated display, hardware specs I had on an android phone three years ago, a total inability to do half the things I rely on my phone for, and crappy battery life. A LARGE part of Apple's market share are older, less tech savvy people who truly believe they are buying the best hardware on the market with the iphone 6 and do not even comprehend the idea that there are dozens of features, software innovations, and hardware specs they are missing out on.

At the low price end of the spectrum, Android dominates in both high information and low information users. I do not truly believe that Samsung or any other Android OEM will significantly cut into Apple's market share until they begin presenting features that even low information, non-tech savvy people can understand - the edge screen was a perfect example, even my 60 year old mother could look at that in the store and say, wow, thats different and cool. She can't appreciate what NFC tags are, or why you would want to use them, but the edge screen is something she can understand.
    Most 'professionals' use Apple because they're too involved with their careers to care and learn about what their phones do or don't do. I have a good friend who has a drone business and has worked with many production (TV and movies) companies and he tells me that everyone from cast to hired hands and help on sets use Apple everything! Apple is engraved with working professionals who obviously have the finances to spend on whatever Apple dictates.
    08-06-2015 09:14 AM
    Ah, your first Note? That explains why you are still excited about the Note 5. I think you'd feel differently if you had a Note device previously, in particular the Note 4. In that case the Note 5 isn't very appealing as it has the same size screen, still works great with 3GB RAM and maintains a user-replaceable battery and SD card options, two big features every Note device has had up to this point. So the loss of them with the Note 5 is very hard to stomach and feels like two steps backward. Well, my two cents anyway...
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure if I had the Note 4, my outlook would have been pretty different. The Note 4 is already a great device, and wouldn't seem like much of an upgrade to move to the Note 5. Since its my first Note, I want the latest one.
    08-06-2015 09:18 AM
    I love that thing called "calculated risk". It is a wise move for Sammy and that's what I've admired them through the years. For sure, there will be bumps along the road, but I'm sure it's something they can handle.So, cheers!!
    Very true, but they were then (as even noted in their marketing pubs) consumer value oriented in their design decisions. They appear to be going the route now that makes their net present value look the fattest and the consumer is a second priority. They are a business that should optimize profit, but seem to be forgetting why a lot of consumers went to their devices and this could hurt their bottom line even more.
    08-06-2015 09:20 AM
    This is my basic breakdown of what I think the S7 should be to succeed. And I'll be a bit adventurous:

So basically, limiting further money and time on new technologies:

1. Retain the quad HD display......however, I would put in a Samsung innovation where you can change the display from Quad HD down to HD or less for power saving. In addition to standard power saving features such as limiting processor performance and changing the display to black and white.

2. Keep the cameras the same but bump up the rear to 20MP without sacrificing the f1.9 aperature. A xenon flash for the back and a led flash for the front. I am a big fan of my Sony compact camera that takes brilliant night photos that takes a rapid series of images then stitches them all together that hugely increases detail whilst eliminating noise. That is something that could be developed.

3. Dare to make the phone a tiny bit thicker and have a battery no less than 3500 mah.

4. Excellent front facing speakers that beat the HTC phones.

5. 128GB standard. To really win back other Android users, combine this with an SD card too. That is a hell of a lot of usable storage that a lot of people would absolutely love.

6. Consider returning to Qualcomm to save vasts amount of time and money researching and manufacturing your own processor. It works for Apple.

7. Radically cut down on bloatware. Allow users to remove all bloatware easily. And perhaps put in the settings a menu choice of a revamped TouchWiz or no TouchWiz at all, returning the phone to stock Android.

8. Make the Edge version only.

There you go, these are my suggestions and the general direction of what I believe Samsung should do. The research on new, expensive technologies is kept to a minimum whilst maintaining a high amount of current class leading features.

What do you think?
    I concur with most of your wishlist, but I'd change the following.

1) Even if the display is at full HD, it won't consume less power because you're still driving all those 2560x1440 pixels, just at a lower resolution. It can be done to improve performance in games, though.

2) I'd say keep it at 16MP but improve the lens quality and maybe improve OIS with more stabilization and more software features. I personally think we've hit a sweet spot in phone cameras and frankly, anything more is considered overkill to me.
    08-06-2015 09:21 AM
    for now, the s6 for me is that best fit except for the screen being too small. So definitely looking forward to the note 5.
    smooth4lyfe and anon8380037 like this.
    08-06-2015 09:28 AM
    Ah, your first Note? That explains why you are still excited about the Note 5. I think you'd feel differently if you had a Note device previously, in particular the Note 4. In that case the Note 5 isn't very appealing as it has the same size screen, still works great with 3GB RAM and maintains a user-replaceable battery and SD card options, two big features every Note device has had up to this point. So the loss of them with the Note 5 is very hard to stomach and feels like two steps backward. Well, my two cents anyway...
    I have had the note 2,3,and 4., still looking forward to the note 5.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    08-06-2015 09:30 AM
    I have had the note 2,3,and 4., still looking forward to the note 5.
    True, there will still be many existing or prior Note owners looking forward to the Note 5 yet. Although probably a lot less than normal if all the Internet chatter lamenting the loss of user-replaceable battery and/or SD card holds true. But aren't you (and may be smooth4lyfe) phone jumpers though? Those that tend to pick up numerous phones a year or typically get each release regardless?
    08-06-2015 10:00 AM
    I'm looking forward to my first Note too if the initial reviews come back positive. My only concern will be the battery life and hoping that 3000mah will do the trick. I very excited about the screen quality/size, S Pen, camera, and how nice the phone looks, the S6 is a beautiful device.

I haven't been a fan of Samsung device and only owned one which was the Galaxy Nexus, IMO the plastic build made it look cheap compared to the competitors. I've been on the HTC bandwagon and very happy with my last phones the M7 and M8. But HTC isn't making enough changes to their phones to keep me as a customer and interested so that brings me here.
    smooth4lyfe and anon8380037 like this.
    08-06-2015 10:06 AM
    True, there will still be many existing or prior Note owners looking forward to the Note 5 yet. Although probably a lot less than normal if all the Internet chatter lamenting the loss of user-replaceable battery and/or SD card holds true. But aren't you (and may be smooth4lyfe) phone jumpers though? Those that tend to pick up numerous phones a year or typically get each release regardless?
    Admittingly, I am a phone jumper. Probably not the best idea for my finances though lol, but I like to have the latest version of a phone. I don't know why I feel "left behind" if I don't...must be a mental thing
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-06-2015 10:13 AM
    Admittingly, I am a phone jumper. Probably not the best idea for my finances though lol, but I like to have the latest version of a phone. I don't know why I feel "left behind" if I don't...must be a mental thing
    I was in your shoes a few years ago and since have found the ability to last a year without upgrading.
    smooth4lyfe and monsieurms like this.
    08-06-2015 10:20 AM
    I was in your shoes a few years ago and since have found the ability to last a year without upgrading.
    I may get to that point eventually. Maybe it comes with age? lol
    mclarryjr likes this.
    08-06-2015 10:32 AM
    Most 'professionals' use Apple because they're too involved with their careers to care and learn about what their phones do or don't do. I have a good friend who has a drone business and has worked with many production (TV and movies) companies and he tells me that everyone from cast to hired hands and help on sets use Apple everything! Apple is engraved with working professionals who obviously have the finances to spend on whatever Apple dictates.
    Apple makes it easy to use your phone. All the phones have the same look and feel. i Cloud is there to back it all up. The Apple store has knowledgeable staff to assist. The downside is that there is not as much customization but many users don't need it. Apple finally addressed size with the iPhone 6 series. There are pluses and minuses to both platforms. Apple is very good and treating their customers well and supporting them.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-06-2015 10:36 AM
    However, do wait for the LG G4 Pro that's coming real soon.
    I keep seeing people say this, but I've not seen any supporting evidence. Didn't LG say that they weren't doing the Pro series anymore after the G3 came out?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-06-2015 10:44 AM
    an outlet would help, then instead of a battery hanging out of the phone all day, you can drag around a hundred foot usb extension cord to your power plug.

I think I will find another phone with removable battery. If they all get rid of them, I guess there will be a market for a phone case that has a built in battery you can swap out.
    08-06-2015 10:45 AM
    I keep seeing people say this, but I've not seen any supporting evidence. Didn't LG say that they weren't doing the Pro series anymore after the G3 came out?

There are leaked specs out. LG remarked that they're making a second flagship.
    08-06-2015 10:45 AM
    Samsung will have to come up with something truly remarkable in Note 5 because I can't think of anything it offers over Note 4 (apart from an extra GB of ram which I don't think will make a huge difference). Also Note 4.1 would have been a more appropriate name for it. But we shall see next week.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-06-2015 10:55 AM
    I concur with most of your wishlist, but I'd change the following.

1) Even if the display is at full HD, it won't consume less power because you're still driving all those 2560x1440 pixels, just at a lower resolution. It can be done to improve performance in games, though.

2) I'd say keep it at 16MP but improve the lens quality and maybe improve OIS with more stabilization and more software features. I personally think we've hit a sweet spot in phone cameras and frankly, anything more is considered overkill to me.
    I agree. It's raw screen resolution and size that matters for power consumption. I hope they keep it at 2K and not bump up to 4K screen. I prefer camera sensor at 16MP too. Bumping it to 20MP at the same sensor size would hurt low light performance with noise. Sensor size needs to grow to offset that, but that would require bigger camera module.

As for returning to Qualcomm, I'm not sure if that would save any money for samsung unless they stop their own AP development altogether. They always had Exynos in development even when S4, S5 were powered by snapdragons. Also news has that snapdragon 820 would be produced at Samsung fab, so it wouldn't make much difference either way.
    08-06-2015 11:11 AM
    My excitement level has fallen since the latest leaks, but I'll still be giving the Note 5 serious consideration. I've gone from "possibly pre-ordering" to "wait for reviews" mode, and for me, it will boil down to battery life. The Note line has been known for above average battery life, and if it comes in closer to average or lower it will be hard to justify the price tag. The S6 isn't exactly topping the charts on battery life so it's a definite concern given the 3,000 mAh battery.
    08-06-2015 11:14 AM
    I do like to try out new stuff but I don't use new stuff just because it is new. I did use the s6 and g4 for a while but they didn't work out for me and am back on the note 4.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-06-2015 11:27 AM
    Okay, it seems that we have threads asking guys what they want from the Note 5.

However, it's time for something different. What do you NOT WANT to see?

The following is mine
    • 64GB not being the base storage
    • A smaller battery for the sake of a thinner profile
    • The same overly-horrendous RAM management from the S6
    • No expandable storage and removable battery without compensation

That's about it.
    I agree with you but at the same time the pros of the Note 5 outweigh the cons for me
    08-06-2015 11:30 AM
    That logic is flawed. If you're only after phones that have an SD Card slot and removable battery, then it makes no sense as to why you would go to an Apple device.

While I understand the convenience those features offer to some, I am not one of them. My G3 supports it, but I don't use those two. For me, I have the vast majority of what I need in my phone and what's not on internal storage is the cloud. As 75% of the time I'm around fast WiFi, it works out for me.

As for which phones support both features, I think the only flagship that does is the LG G4. The HTC One M9 has an SD card slot but no removable battery. I'm not completely sure about the Asus ZenPhone 2.

Not flawed IF the key reason having the Note over other options was the ability to carry more local media in the device. Standard principle of competitive products and when features are reduced to limit differentiation that may be valued highly by a consumer.

I think Apple is much better at being Apple than Samsung will ever be. Point seems very logical since a lot of people could care less if Android or iOS, they just want something that works and they can consume media with. Apple has a better ecosystem from the general consumer mind, so Samsung reducing their differentiation will probably not help.

Samsung needs to appreciate they mainly lost some marketshare because Apple offered bigger phones. My guess is Apple applaud's Samsung's decisions and so do their OE competitors like LG and Moto. Samsung would lose the apparent Apple wannabe game to Apple.

Added: The LG Pro (if comes to market) would be interesting, but seems the Moto X Pure ticks a lot of checkpoints. Open issues are the display and battery life. Also hoping the turbo charge can be turned off since not much better than fast charge as far as battery capacitance impact after about six months. Neither are good for optimizing the battery over time.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-06-2015 11:52 AM
    I agree with you but at the same time the pros of the Note 5 outweigh the cons for me

THAT is what truly matters I just wish Samsung offered the sd slot so BOTH sides of perspective would be happy Then: If you want one great! If not, still great! Seems that is a key point. Samsung got rid of the choice so a chunk of folks that wanted the option will move on.
    08-06-2015 12:06 PM
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure if I had the Note 4, my outlook would have been pretty different. The Note 4 is already a great device, and wouldn't seem like much of an upgrade to move to the Note 5. Since its my first Note, I want the latest one.
    You still might be better off with the Note 4 The looks are kind of moot, since not practical to not have a case on a glass covered device like this. That said, I see people with cracked iPhones at work all the time and no case.
    08-06-2015 12:10 PM
    My excitement level has fallen since the latest leaks, but I'll still be giving the Note 5 serious consideration. I've gone from "possibly pre-ordering" to "wait for reviews" mode, and for me, it will boil down to battery life. The Note line has been known for above average battery life, and if it comes in closer to average or lower it will be hard to justify the price tag. The S6 isn't exactly topping the charts on battery life so it's a definite concern given the 3,000 mAh battery.
    Just depends on what apps you like to use since the GPU and bright colors on the display will likely be the battery killers- using the S6 for comparison. Same really for any newer device with OLED.

If could care less about SD and not concerned about storage, the Note 5 should rock.
    08-06-2015 12:12 PM
    I am excited for the note five, but all the missing features have me contemplating the Note 4, or even waiting for the upcoming LG G4 Note device that will appear later this fall.

I am upgrading from a galaxy S4, so I am far from a phone jumper. I got this phone in the spring of 2013. However it has many features which I am very much used to having, which Samsung has neglected to include in the note 5. Primarily, my SD card, replaceable battery, and IR blaster are all going away. On top of that, I am not unhappy with the performance of the snapdragon 600 series chip in my S4, which hasn't had any significant lag problems.

I got very excited about the note 5 when rumors included a 4100 MAH battery and the 7422 Xynos chip. Now that we are getting a 3000 MAH battery (smaller than my wife's S6 active) and the same chip is the S6, I'm a lot less excited, and I find myself flirted with the idea of holding out for a different device rather than buying the note 5 when it arrives.

I am looking forward to the big reveal, because I think Samsung will have something to set the phone apart from its competitors and drive sales. Not sure what, maybe new S-pen features, maybe promises of a quick upgrade to android M ( with android doze to help battery life) or maybe some hardware item different from what was already leaked. I am looking forward to the reveal, and probably looking for to the phone to, just not as much as I was a month ago when rumors were different
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-06-2015 12:26 PM
1,007 ... 2829303132 ...