08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    Meanwhile, Apple continues to do well however even their sales aren't necessarily hitting targets.
    That comment is soooooo wrong I don't even know how to contain myself to correct you. The iphone 6 exceeded by a mile all Apple's expectations. You can easily Google ( or Safari lol ) that to verify it.

If just irks me so much how low grade a phone like the iphone 6 is killing everything else. Something with a lousy 8MP camera with almost no manual settings, backwards HD display, smallest battery of any flagship phone, no IR blaster, no wireless charging. For goodness sakes, there isn't even a notification led to flash and light up to tell you that you have missed calls/messages, and to tell you the phone is fully charged. Pathetic.

And why should Apple spend more than they have to developing class leading technologies like Samsung does when they can be the market leader with such low grade specs. If you know that your next phone will be a runaway success with an 8MP camera for eg, why would you bother putting in a 16MP camera with wide aperature?

And to top it all off, the market leading phone with the lowest grade specs is the most expensive. Go Apple.
    08-08-2015 07:28 AM
    That comment is soooooo wrong I don't even know how to contain myself to correct you. The iphone 6 exceeded by a mile all Apple's expectations. You can easily Google ( or Safari lol ) that to verify it.

If just irks me so much how low grade a phone like the iphone 6 is killing everything else. Something with a lousy 8MP camera with almost no manual settings, backwards HD display, smallest battery of any flagship phone, no IR blaster, no wireless charging. For goodness sakes, there isn't even a notification led to flash and light up to tell you that you have missed calls/messages, and to tell you the phone is fully charged. Pathetic.

And why should Apple spend more than they have to developing class leading technologies like Samsung does when they can be the market leader with such low grade specs. If you know that your next phone will be a runaway success with an 8MP camera for eg, why would you bother putting in a 16MP camera with wide aperature?

And to top it all off, the market leading phone with the lowest grade specs is the most expensive. Go Apple.
    Actually, the iPhone 6 has a pretty good camera.

I know that because I've used both the 6 and the 6 Plus.

It's not always about megapixels.

In fact, the shots featured on Apple's "Shot on iPhone 6" promotional material actually look great. I'm pretty sure my LG G4 can match those.

Also, regarding the manual controls, while the stock iPhone camera app doesn't have manual controls, there are camera apps in the app store that give manual controls almost exactly like what is found on the LG G4.
    08-08-2015 07:35 AM
    Actually, the iPhone 6 has a pretty good camera.

I know that because I've used both the 6 and the 6 Plus.

It's not always about megapixels.

In fact, the shots featured on Apple's "Shot on iPhone 6" promotional material actually look great. I'm pretty sure my LG G4 can match those.

Also, regarding the manual controls, while the stock iPhone camera app doesn't have manual controls, there are camera apps in the app store that give manual controls almost exactly like what is found on the LG G4.
    I have compared my Galaxy S5 camera to a mate at work with his iphone 6 plus. Firstly, what I notice is how little Apple lets you pinch zoom any image. It is extremely limited, because obviously resolution is seriously compromised when pinch zooming too much. And why is that? That is purely because of 8MP only. On my Samsung I can pinch zoom a heck of a lot.

Outdoors, the Galaxy S5 destroys the iphone 6. Very high level of detail allowing a significant amount of pinch zooming before the image starts to degrade. In fact, outdoor images transferred to my Samsung tablet look like it's been taken on an expensive dedicated camera.

Indoors the iphone had an advantage where the Galaxy S5 would often give noise even in good light. However, with Lollipop, the indoors imaging has improved massively. I cannot believe how much of a difference it is now. I can shoot with the full 16 MP in low light with almost no noise or grain.

The only thing the iphone camera is better at is color accuracy. Samsung has always been a bit saturated. But indoors shooting is excellent whilst outdoors my Galaxy S5 kills the iphone. Plus I can transfer all photos to my SD card. So no contest at all.

And btw. That is with a superseded Samsung phone versus a current iphone. Go figure. Oh, and I can say "Shoot" and the camera takes a picture. That is not a gimmick. That is one of the most handiest camera features I have yet come across. You can actually very easily take extremely high quality selfies with all the rear camera features including flash by just turning the phone around and saying "Shoot".

But not of course in the iphone.
    08-08-2015 07:53 AM
    My suggestion is that if you're not going to have an SD card, then yeah, 128 GB standard to differentiate itself from Apple. If you do have an SD card, then perhaps 64 GB plus SD. Money grabbing is all good and well if you can afford to like Apple can because it is currently selling monstrously and can pretty well do as it pleases. When you are getting slaughtered in the premium end by Apple and losing sales in the bottom end to Chinese brands then you need to desperately change direction. I am not a marketing person or business person. I am just a consumer but as I look around I see the obvious need to distinguish yourself from Apple and the cheaper Chinese brands by offering very high value for money in its flagship models. With the S6, clearly being the most technologically advanced is not the answer. As I said before, the killer iphones make do with a mere HD display, no wireless charging, no IR blaster, 8MP cameras etc.

Samsung is not in the same position as Apple. I for one don't one to see Samsung go down like Nokia or Blackberry. Clearly their current strategies at the opposite ends, Galaxy S5 and S6 are not working. Make no mistake, if Samsung continues to lose profits every quarter like they have done like 5 now in row, they will go down the Nokia/Blackberry road.

On another note, pardon the pun, I think it is appalling if it is true that the Note 5 will have no IR blaster. That is a moronic executive decision and is reprehensible. If I was looking to upgrade now, on that alone I would give the Note 5 a miss because I love my IR blaster on my Galaxy S5. What clueless person at Samsung approved of that? To your shame.

I would still love to be buying Samsung phones in 5yrs from now. At the moment, they are in a dire situation. Sure they still tens of millions of phones but profits are steadily falling. Apple shows no sign of relenting and competition from cheaper manufacturers will increase. I don't want Samsung to relinquish one day their mobile division and stick to selling TV's and washing machines.

As an aside, look at Windows mobile. Most of their phones aren't moving well except one-the Lumia 530. That phone is killing it in the low end. Why? Extremely high value for money. A budget phone that has features no other phone in that price range is matching including a 5MP front camera. This is what I am suggesting for Samsung Galaxy and Note flagships. Value for money that Apple will not match in the high end. And value for money that makes it worth spending three hundred dollars more over a OnePlus or Huawei etc to get desirable features. As I keep on saying, keep technical innovations steady and regular on a tightly controlled budget. Make savings elsewhere like buying processors and give killer features no one else offers as standard. That is my suggestion for Samsung to recover and be number 1 again.

I also suggest opening up a formal middle range line. Say something like Galaxy M, for midrange. Galaxy M could be phones composed of former models mashed up together being directly priced in the OnePlus, Huawei range etc. And make them less conservative and business like, such as the Galaxy S and Note series, and more casual and funky with a range of brightly colored backs, like Windows phone does. For eg, a Galaxy M phone could have the camera from the Galaxy S5, the Note 4 processor, 32 GB standard with SD card. Plus a range of 5 bright and cool back colors in an aluminium back. The screen would be full HD. This is another suggestion I feel would be well worthwhile.
    I could not agree more. Your argument is on point. Samsung should hire you to get them a true buyers perspective. Anyone who defends the S6 and Note 5 designs (feature removals) is simply an apologist for Samsung.

I am abandoning Samsung with this iteration of the Note and won't be back until they give us back what they're taking from us. If they never do, I'll make do with other manufacturers.
    08-08-2015 08:14 AM
    I have compared my Galaxy S5 camera to a mate at work with his iphone 6 plus. Firstly, what I notice is how little Apple lets you pinch zoom any image. It is extremely limited, because obviously resolution is seriously compromised when pinch zooming too much. And why is that? That is purely because of 8MP only. On my Samsung I can pinch zoom a heck of a lot.

Outdoors, the Galaxy S5 destroys the iphone 6. Very high level of detail allowing a significant amount of pinch zooming before the image starts to degrade. In fact, outdoor images transferred to my Samsung tablet look like it's been taken on an expensive dedicated camera.

Indoors the iphone had an advantage where the Galaxy S5 would often give noise even in good light. However, with Lollipop, the indoors imaging has improved massively. I cannot believe how much of a difference it is now. I can shoot with the full 16 MP in low light with almost no noise or grain.

The only thing the iphone camera is better at is color accuracy. Samsung has always been a bit saturated. But indoors shooting is excellent whilst outdoors my Galaxy S5 kills the iphone. Plus I can transfer all photos to my SD card. So no contest at all.

And btw. That is with a superseded Samsung phone versus a current iphone. Go figure. Oh, and I can say "Shoot" and the camera takes a picture. That is not a gimmick. That is one of the most handiest camera features I have yet come across. You can actually very easily take extremely high quality selfies with all the rear camera features including flash by just turning the phone around and saying "Shoot".

But not of course in the iphone.
    Well, I'm not trying to say the iPhone has the best camera (well, it doesn't).

Just saying that it's not completely utter crap.
    08-08-2015 08:18 AM
    Apple isn't the one that's killing samsung, the chinese are.

No matter what kind of specs or new features samsung put on their newest phone, it wouldn't sell enough.

Sorry to say but samsung is slowly fading away...
    08-08-2015 09:10 AM
    Apple isn't the one that's killing samsung, the chinese are.

No matter what kind of specs or new features samsung put on their newest phone, it wouldn't sell enough.

Sorry to say but samsung is slowly fading away...
    You are both right and wrong. Apple is killing Samsung in the high phone end. And Chinese manufacturers are taking away sales in the lower end spectrum. So you need a 2 prong attack, one for the high end and one for the lower end. A Galaxy M series that is midrange would be one way to deal with it. No big development costs needed. You use components from superseded models and price it comptetively. Just remember too. A competitively priced midrange Galaxy series would have one big advantage over OnePlus, Huawei etc. The name Samsung.

I've already spoken numerous times about how I would deal with the premium phone end.
    08-08-2015 09:23 AM

Actually, Apple missed their sales target on the iphone 6. Not a big deal because they still sold a boat load. But the target was still missed.

I wouldn't necessarily call the iphone 6 or any iphone lousy. The specs may not add up to the latest android devices however, what makes it an iphone is the ease of it all and the ecosystem. It appeals to a huge segment and regardless of the hardware it's always a hit.

Secondly, iOS is extremely refined so it doesn't need huge hardware specs to achieve top notch performance. Same goes for their entire product line.

What also makes Apple great is they continue to support their prior iphones with the latest software updates (no fragmentation) and without delay. Android devices cannot compete in that category.

So although it irks you, Apple is successful in the marketplace with their product. Just understand it's with good reason other than marketing a lousy device.
    08-08-2015 09:24 AM
    Well of course not. Who would you expect to go out and do an exhaustive study worldwide and find all those people that didn't buy a Galaxy S6 and bought something instead and asked them why they didn't buy an S6? It's a bit like the religious debate and saying "Prove that God doesn't exist".

I didn't say the lack of an SD card on its own was the reason. I stated at least 4. Yes, lack of an SD card, along with a non removable battery and one that is smaller in capacity than the model it replaces is clearly one.
    This is what led me to respond to your post on that point (emphasis in bold):

The reasons are reactions to the loss of the SD card especially, the price, the preference of the Edge version over the regular version and the supply difficulties of the Edge version which caught Samsung by surprise. Plus of course the slaughter in the market place of the iphone 6 models. All these have combined to make the S6 less profitable than initially forecast
    I don't have an argument against your other listed reasons. It's obviously not hard to blame the increase in iPhone screen size and the low prices of Chinese phones for having a major impact on Galaxy S sales.
    08-08-2015 09:31 AM
    I'm sure everyone who said I'm not getting it because..... will.

via the Android Central App With S6 Edge

Well actually..........no. I have a Galaxy S5 which I am very happy with and am not looking to update until 2017 at least. But if I was looking to upgrade, believe it or not, the lack of an IR blaster seals the Note 5's fate with me. I have a couple of TV's at home, a couple at my folks home plus pay tv units, and a TV at work which I use my phone to control with. I would not sacrifice that feature and if I did upgrade now, I would turn to LG.

And to be honest, I concur with what the poster above me said. When I do update eventually, I will first look at Nexus devices because of the fast, direct updates from Google, just like Apple do with their phones. It took over 6 months for my Galaxy S5 to go from kitkat to lollipop. And I'm sure I'll wait months for a patch fix for stagefright. Direct updates from Google bypass all that plus all the advantages of running stock Android.
    08-08-2015 09:53 AM
    I am excited for the note five, but all the missing features have me contemplating the Note 4, or even waiting for the upcoming LG G4 Note device that will appear later this fall.

I am upgrading from a galaxy S4, so I am far from a phone jumper. I got this phone in the spring of 2013. However it has many features which I am very much used to having, which Samsung has neglected to include in the note 5. Primarily, my SD card, replaceable battery, and IR blaster are all going away. On top of that, I am not unhappy with the performance of the snapdragon 600 series chip in my S4, which hasn't had any significant lag problems.

I got very excited about the note 5 when rumors included a 4100 MAH battery and the 7422 Xynos chip. Now that we are getting a 3000 MAH battery (smaller than my wife's S6 active) and the same chip is the S6, I'm a lot less excited, and I find myself flirted with the idea of holding out for a different device rather than buying the note 5 when it arrives.

I am looking forward to the big reveal, because I think Samsung will have something to set the phone apart from its competitors and drive sales. Not sure what, maybe new S-pen features, maybe promises of a quick upgrade to android M ( with android doze to help battery life) or maybe some hardware item different from what was already leaked. I am looking forward to the reveal, and probably looking for to the phone to, just not as much as I was a month ago when rumors were different
    While the IR blaster may not be the most frequently used/sought after feature compared to removable battery/expandable storage, I hope that an IR blaster is included. I understand that at mass scale, removing components like those required for an IR blaster, can help reduce overall phone development/manufacturing costs.

If, however, keeping an IR blaster is not a materially noticeable cost or development/manufacturing challenge; then I think keeping the IR blaster would be another unique and differentiating feature.
    08-08-2015 10:03 AM
    I was comfortable with battery when it was rumored to be 4100, 3000 though, i dont think so. They are going to have to do some serious convincing that the note 5 uses a lot less power. The whole fast charge is great, but im not near an outlet most of my shift, and besides, why go from an all day phone to a sub par battery?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yes, that's been one of the key benefits in the Note series. I've had the 2, 3, and now 4. Each have provided full day or more battery life without even having to micromanage settings or curb usage. Not having to worry about battery life during the waking hours is a nice thing.
    08-08-2015 10:07 AM
    ^^^ Yes, with phones like the MotoX Style/Pure Edition at a reasonable cost off contract and bringing great features overall in a similar screen size/form factor - to me the S-Pen is starting to become one of the last big reasons to want a Note.
    08-08-2015 10:14 AM
    Okay, it seems that we have threads asking guys what they want from the Note 5.

However, it's time for something different. What do you NOT WANT to see?

The following is mine
    • 64GB not being the base storage
    • A smaller battery for the sake of a thinner profile
    • The same overly-horrendous RAM management from the S6
    • No expandable storage and removable battery without compensation

That's about it.
    You just about covered it for me. I also don't want a glass back. It may look nice, but it lacks functionality. Thank you for starting this thread. It won't matter, seemingly, to Samsung. But our demands should be aired.
    08-08-2015 10:33 AM
    For those that are concerned about the SD Card, you could get an SD Card USB adapter and connect it to your phone and use it like that... I think that's even safer than leaving it in ur phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    Imo, it is a bit of a hassle having to deal with a usb stick. I would rather get a battery case with sd card slot built in. Solves the battery problem and sd card problem Not aware of one for the note 5 yet but there is one for the s6

Incipio OffGRID first look: Adding a microSD card and external battery to the Galaxy S6 http://www.androidcentral.com/incipi...tery-galaxy-s6
    08-08-2015 10:45 AM
    Actually, I'm beyond disappointed with Samsung's choices with the Note 5. They could save a lot of money by just discontinuing the Note series and renaming the "Note" 5 as the S6 +, rather than introducing it as a separate model. So why not just say goodbye to the Note? It's identity is no longer differentiated from the S series. So why is Samsung continuing to try to keep it differentiated? MONEY! They hope to corral buyers who think they're getting a better S6 with the S6+, and still keep Note buyers who like the Note rather than the S6. They're splitting hairs and hoping to profit from the sales to both users. Frankly, if I wanted the "improvements" of the S6+, I might consider that rendition. But I had an S3 and upgraded to the Note 3 because I liked all that the Note series offered. I upgraded to the Note 4 because I liked the real improvements it offered. I did not go back to the S series, not even to the S6 Edge. I'll be keeping my Note 4...a true Note...because I like what the Note series offers...until now. I was even willing to give up the replaceable battery, if they had kept the microSD option. Now, I'm looking to see what an LG G5 will have to offer. If I'm not satisfied with it, I'll keep my Note 4 until it falls apart. We can't continue to be sheep in this market. We cannot continue to let manufacturers dictate to us what we should have. They have to operate...and be successful...based on what the customers want. But we continue to just blindly accept their offerings just because they're the latest edition. And why should I be surprised? I remember the pet rock craze.
    08-08-2015 11:13 AM
    I'll be taking a look at both Samsung phones coming up. For the most part, I love the Samsung brand. The large, beautiful screens that have yet to be matched imo, the cameras, and now this new glass build which to me is stunning, even better than the iPhone. Lucky for me, I have not cared about SD cards since 2010. Nor do I ever swap batteries. I just simply buy phones with enough storage for my needs, problem solved. For me phones are a pretty major investment, and not one where I try to be cheap. I take the hit, so that I can enjoy my phone, without having to install anything later on.

My one hope/concern is that this new battery is a good one.
    08-08-2015 12:17 PM
    So many people predicted doom and gloom for the S6 and complained about lack of SD card and removeable battery and then ended up buying the phone anyways.

Now they defend it.

The same thing will happen again, with this device. Get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-08-2015 12:37 PM
    Why does everyone think removable battery = having two batteries and swapping them out? I have an LG G4, and I have two batteries, but I don't carry my second battery with me ever. For me, the biggest point to having removable batteries is that in a year or so when my original battery starts holding less of a charge, I can pop in my new battery and keep on going. If I had that option on my HTC One M7, I might not have bought the LG G4, I'd have kept trucking with the M7. And speaking of the G4, THAT is what Samsung has to worry about more than anything. Samsung is where they are because of their massive marketing machine. Motorola, HTC, OnePlus, ASUS, and the others just can't compete dollar for dollar with Samsung when it comes to marketing. LG, however, is another story entirely. Samsung isn't competing with Apple, they are competing with LG, and even though they have a huge head start, LG has been making up ground quickly these past couple of years.
    gendo667 likes this.
    08-08-2015 12:46 PM
    7. Radically cut down on bloatware. Allow users to remove all bloatware easily. And perhaps put in the settings a menu choice of a revamped TouchWiz or no TouchWiz at all, returning the phone to stock Android.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dude, you dont know how much i agree about this, I would love to see a Samsung with a pure version of Android, TouchWiz and all the other cr*p that Samsung does to the UI ruins it for me, I cant believe that a phone with this hardware can lag so much, really sucks!
    08-08-2015 12:52 PM
    Why does everyone think removable battery = having two batteries and swapping them out? I have an LG G4, and I have two batteries, but I don't carry my second battery with me ever. For me, the biggest point to having removable batteries is that in a year or so when my original battery starts holding less of a charge, I can pop in my new battery and keep on going. If I had that option on my HTC One M7, I might not have bought the LG G4, I'd have kept trucking with the M7. And speaking of the G4, THAT is what Samsung has to worry about more than anything. Samsung is where they are because of their massive marketing machine. Motorola, HTC, OnePlus, ASUS, and the others just can't compete dollar for dollar with Samsung when it comes to marketing. LG, however, is another story entirely. Samsung isn't competing with Apple, they are competing with LG, and even though they have a huge head start, LG has been making up ground quickly these past couple of years.
    Well said. I also have the extra battery and I've carried it with me once. Now my wife does, she drives a lot for work and absolutely needs it, what with using navigation and listening to podcast.

As for LG catching Samsung, I'm not so sure. I'd like to think that's true but I think a lot of people (just like with the iPhone) just wait to buy the next Samsung device. I've let Samsung folks I know hold my G4 and my Nexus 5 before that, and I'm surprised how many of them don't know their holding a Android device. Many of them just aren't tech savvy. They just, like everyone, need a phone and know Samsung. Where I do think LG is making headway is the midrange market. And I haven't tried that little game with them. And doing that with iPhone folks is really fun too.

Now I'm following a few Samsung threads, and I'm not lumping all you guys in the same category. I know it has its power user base. It's been refreshing. I know a lot of you guys miss you removable battery and expandable memory. And I'm not a hater. I gave the GS6 some thought before buying my G4. It's just after all these years, I can't let go of the software buttons. And I here that ram management with the GS6 is atrocious.
    08-08-2015 01:18 PM
    That's definitely one point about user-replaceable batteries. But I think most, including myself, look at them for more immediate needs. Case in point, I'm out and about today with no plans of being near a charging source, so I planned ahead and brought my Note 4 spare battery charging kit (which fits very easily in a pocket). So far I'm down to almost 50% charge left. But absolutely no worries knowing that spare is there to get me back to a full charge in a minute and I can continue on using the phone without it being tethered to some external charging source.

Even in a normal situation where I am near a charging source I still only use the spare charger/battery as it provides complete freedom in using my phone as hard as I like (always untethered from any cable/charging source) since that spare battery can be charged faster than I can ever run down a fresh one in the phone (swap out as needed endlessly). Invaluble!!!!
    anon8380037 and D Android like this.
    08-08-2015 02:36 PM
    That would be great. If Verizon is ONLY selling the 32GB version that would all but confirm an SD card slot.
    08-08-2015 03:01 PM
    Apparently that model is for some smaller international markets, based on the "leak". If is it true, it would scuttle the theory "Samsung could not do it due to the chip" which has been a fallacy anyway. Samsung wants the extra margin to themselves rather than folks buy lower cost microsd for their media storage.

Example: 128GB costs $200 more. A consumer can buy a 128gb 10 class for $70 to $90 not from Samsung (or already own one), or pay Samsung the $200 for the 128GB version. Those numbers look really nice when added to their revenue expectations.

Nice if were the case though and not just certain markets
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-08-2015 03:10 PM
    Remember Spint's place holder in their system also showed sd card support.

I wouldnt not get your hopes up. I would say 90% there will NOT be sd card support.
    08-08-2015 03:11 PM
1,007 ... 3233343536 ...