08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 3334353637 ...
tools
    The more I consider, the more likely I just stick with my Note and not even bother with the Moto X Pure 64GB.

Note 4 has great battery life (if not gaming much) and really really great battery life with the 8000mah battery I use with it.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-08-2015 03:30 PM
    If just irks me so much how low grade a phone like the iphone 6 is killing everything else. Something with a lousy 8MP camera with almost no manual settings, backwards HD display, smallest battery of any flagship phone, no IR blaster, no wireless charging. For goodness sakes, there isn't even a notification led to flash and light up to tell you that you have missed calls/messages, and to tell you the phone is fully charged. Pathetic.
    Have you used an iPhone? I get it may not be your cup of tea but it isn't as bad as you're making it sound .

The LED light is useful but it isn't ground breaking to know if you have missed calls / txts.
    IR blaster is meh (I honestly only used them for fun then after that never bothered with it again).
    The camera is pretty awesome even without manual.
    HD display is okay (I never freaked on it when going from HD to qHD displays and I watch a lot of videos).
    Wireless charging is more of a convenience thing. I enjoyed it on my S6 for sure but for me it isn't a huge "I need this for them to get a sale on me" type of feature.

While I obviously like Android more to say that it is just super bad isn't the case.
    08-08-2015 03:42 PM
    You are both right and wrong. Apple is killing Samsung in the high phone end. And Chinese manufacturers are taking away sales in the lower end spectrum. So you need a 2 prong attack, one for the high end and one for the lower end. A Galaxy M series that is midrange would be one way to deal with it. No big development costs needed. You use components from superseded models and price it comptetively. Just remember too. A competitively priced midrange Galaxy series would have one big advantage over OnePlus, Huawei etc. The name Samsung.

I've already spoken numerous times about how I would deal with the premium phone end.
    Yep. The key though is the main reason people stay with Apple is due to the ecosystem and their investment and comfort with it. Apple was losing some share to Samsung, but got it back with the bigger phones.
    08-08-2015 03:46 PM
    For the majority, the lack of either feature is moot and they will luv the Note 5. The key though is how many are in the minority? My sleep deprived brain is sticking with at least 15% of current Note owners that would have got the Note 5 will either stick with the Note 4 or find other options.

Several months or so to get an idea of what it really is!
    08-08-2015 03:56 PM
    I'm pretty happy with my Note 4. I'll be much less inclined to get the Note 5 if it has no SD card and it's pretty much a deal breaker if it doesn't have a removable battery.
    gendo667 and monsieurms like this.
    08-08-2015 04:44 PM
    Why does everyone think removable battery = having two batteries and swapping them out? I have an LG G4, and I have two batteries, but I don't carry my second battery with me ever. For me, the biggest point to having removable batteries is that in a year or so when my original battery starts holding less of a charge, I can pop in my new battery and keep on going. If I had that option on my HTC One M7, I might not have bought the LG G4, I'd have kept trucking with the M7. And speaking of the G4, THAT is what Samsung has to worry about more than anything. Samsung is where they are because of their massive marketing machine. Motorola, HTC, OnePlus, ASUS, and the others just can't compete dollar for dollar with Samsung when it comes to marketing. LG, however, is another story entirely. Samsung isn't competing with Apple, they are competing with LG, and even though they have a huge head start, LG has been making up ground quickly these past couple of years.
    I agree with you that I prefer to have a removable battery for when the original battery loses power, but don't swap batteries on a daily basis. My Galaxy Nexus is still a great phone that is starting to have battery trouble. I like the fact that I can get a new battery and keep using the phone as a Wi-Fi only device. I also used to get extended life batteries for phones and just do a one-time battery replacement from the original battery.

There are two groups of people that appreciate removable batteries: daily battery swappers and end-of-life replacers. While our numbers may not be large, I think that it is not wise for Samsung to abandon us.
    D Android likes this.
    08-08-2015 06:38 PM
    I've owned every generation of Note until this one. As others have said, I just see no compelling reason to upgrade. The improvements are minor and incremental and you end up with a phone that is more fragile and less versatile (due to a lack of removable battery and SD card slot.)
    What I'd add is that this seems to a microcosm of the phone ecosystem in general. First desktop systems, then to a slightly less extent laptops, and then tablets all reached a point where the rates of upgrading to new systems slowed and eventually stalled. Phones aren't quite there, but they are to the point where skipping a generation or two is reasonable, even for a relative "power user."
    The OEMs have a few options to continue to entice people to buy new phones, but none at the rates they currently enjoy and most of those options (eg: not upgrading "old" phones except for security issues) will alienate their user base and erode sales even further in the long run.
    I suspect the Note5 is just the first of high end units that will largely be ignored.
    08-08-2015 07:05 PM
    According to my sources, the North American Variant of the Note 5 as we already know will not feature a removable battery or Micro SD card slot as well as a lack of an IR blaster. The only one that will have the Micro SD slot is the international version with dual SIM which we all know will never see the light of day in NA. As ridiculous as this might sound I've been told that the Note 5 will NOT be available in different memory sizes and that 32GB will be the ONLY option. If that is indeed the case id imagine that would be a deal breaker for all considering this phone.

Samsung, if you go ahead with this you will go against the professional aspect of this new flagship device. If I can't swap my battery on business trips, can't add removable memory for vacations and don't even have the option to buy extra memory from the get go I will not purchase your iPhone with a stylus running android.

Id rather get a G4...
    Ntchwaidumela and gendo667 like this.
    08-08-2015 07:50 PM
    If Samsung wants to save me the money I would've spent on their phone, that's fine. They don't need my money and I don't need to give it to them.

from the Elegance
    08-08-2015 08:03 PM
    I'm up in the air, all these rumors are pure speculation. We'll know the facts in a week.
    rushmore likes this.
    08-08-2015 08:11 PM
    I highly, HIGHLY doubt that Samsung is going to release a 32GB only Note 5 when the S6 has 32, 64, & 128 and from the Verizon leak the S6 plus will come with a 32 and 64....not sure if it'll come in 128 but I'm assuming it will.
    08-08-2015 08:26 PM
    The note 5 indeed does not have an SD card slot and does come in 32,64 and 128gb variant (I work at Verizon I've already played with it)

Posted via the Android Central App On my Note 4
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-08-2015 08:36 PM
    The note 5 indeed does not have an SD card slot and does come in 32,64 and 128gb variant (I work at Verizon I've already played with it)

So what were your impressions of the new Note 5?
    08-08-2015 08:49 PM

How was battery performance?

dreaming of electric sheep
    08-08-2015 09:00 PM
    I agree with you that I prefer to have a removable battery for when the original battery loses power, but don't swap batteries on a daily basis. My Galaxy Nexus is still a great phone that is starting to have battery trouble. I like the fact that I can get a new battery and keep using the phone as a Wi-Fi only device. I also used to get extended life batteries for phones and just do a one-time battery replacement from the original battery.

There are two groups of people that appreciate removable batteries: daily battery swappers and end-of-life replacers. While our numbers may not be large, I think that it is not wise for Samsung to abandon us.
    A very true statment... I am an end of life replacer... To me, a being able to switch batteries or buy a new one breathes new life into the phone especialy when a new OS comes into play. A built in battery just out right spells failures for samsung...
    08-08-2015 10:51 PM
    i agree with you. there not thinking clearly on this one.
    08-08-2015 10:55 PM
    According to my sources, the North American Variant of the Note 5 as we already know will not feature a removable battery or Micro SD card slot as well as a lack of an IR blaster. The only one that will have the Micro SD slot is the international version with dual SIM which we all know will never see the light of day in NA. As ridiculous as this might sound I've been told that the Note 5 will NOT be available in different memory sizes and that 32GB will be the ONLY option. If that is indeed the case id imagine that would be a deal breaker for all considering this phone.

Samsung, if you go ahead with this you will go against the professional aspect of this new flagship device. If I can't swap my battery on business trips, can't add removable memory for vacations and don't even have the option to buy extra memory from the get go I will not purchase your iPhone with a stylus running android.

Id rather get a G4...
    How reliable is your sources?

Better yet, who are your sources?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-08-2015 10:58 PM
    Photos of the retail box are leaked too with more info. What caught my eye was this "One area where Samsung has made a huge improvement with the Galaxy Note 5 is battery life. For the new model, a 4100mAh cell has been stuffed inside. Android 5.1.1 is pre-installed."
    Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-th...Note-5_id72423
    Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?-galaxy-note-5-box-1.pngWill the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?-galaxy-note-5-box-2.png
    08-08-2015 11:49 PM
    People buy iPhones for the "cool" factor.

They are great phones, but they aren't special in any way. It's just a phone, and yet, some people treat it like it's some sort of religious God or something.
    iPhone is iPhone, price wise most other flagships cost same as iPhone though other flagship price don't stay stable but iPhone prices does. IPhone is not about spec but experience. Once I was one of those who says iPhone have less spec etc but it's useless. What to do of 3GB RAM when apps can't run smoothly. What to do of that high clocked processors that eat battery and or comparable to iPhone chipset. IPhone does everything with little requirements. I owned a lot of flagship phones it's be nexus 6, note 4, HTC One M9, LG G4 and now S6. And I know now that these spec are nothing but showoff.
    08-09-2015 02:44 AM
    iPhone is iPhone, price wise most other flagships cost same as iPhone though other flagship price don't stay stable but iPhone prices does. IPhone is not about spec but experience. Once I was one of those who says iPhone have less spec etc but it's useless. What to do of 3GB RAM when apps can't run smoothly. What to do of that high clocked processors that eat battery and or comparable to iPhone chipset. IPhone does everything with little requirements. I owned a lot of flagship phones it's be nexus 6, note 4, HTC One M9, LG G4 and now S6. And I know now that these spec are nothing but showoff.
    I never said the iPhone sucks.

The iPhone 6 is a legitimately good phone that did exactly what the 2013 Moto X did; prioritizing user-experience over raw specs.
    08-09-2015 03:43 AM
    Photos of the retail box are leaked too with more info. What caught my eye was this "One area where Samsung has made a huge improvement with the Galaxy Note 5 is battery life. For the new model, a 4100mAh cell has been stuffed inside. Android 5.1.1 is pre-installed."
    Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-th...Note-5_id72423
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy-note-5-box-1.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	190490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy-note-5-box-2.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	190491
    I hope they do have that battery. It's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a used Droid Turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-09-2015 08:32 AM
    IF Samsung was smart/flexible they would make the Dual Sim Version/SD Card Capable - available to all Carriers including TMobile AT&T etc.
    before they do any large Production Runs and let the Marketplace decide how important this feature is.
    Obviously Samsung Engineering and R&D are great but their redundant Models are eccentric.
    They already have at least 3 Devices with approx. 5.7" Screen- not one with removable Battery or SD Card as Standard (like Note4).
    Not one Device in this size with a large Battery?
    Not one Productivity Device like Note 4 was.
    Not one Professional Device like Note 4 was ( and Alpha COULD have been).
    Professional means function over form.
    Does a fragile glass back improve the Note 5 functionally ?
    Does a smaller Battery improve the Note 5 functionally ?
    Does lack of SD Card improve the Note 5 functionally ?
    No SD makes it harder to work OFFLINE and do you want private files on the "Cloud" and you can double back up easily on SD .
    There are workarounds but why abandon the Pro Android Power Users and make Note Series just a larger S6 ?
    Samsung SHOULD make a fully Pro Note and a fully Pro Note Compact at 5.1 " screen and 8.1 mm thick with the Battery from S6 Active (3500mah) and the RAM and software from Note AND-
    They would have two phones which compete well with iPhone6S and iPhone6S+ .
    Many iPhone users are hoping for a larger Battery on
    iPhone6S - they won't get it-
    BUT Samsung makes enough Models to include some Flagships with larger or removable Batteries and SD Storage.
    They need a Pro Division that is not watered down by "thinness" and Style decisions
    to put glass over EVERY premium Device front and back.
    The ONE Model that is Function over Form is S6 Active - they need to eliminate the pushbuttons and use THAT Battery on a 5.1" Device with SD Card etc and they will have a Popular Device ( especially as Note Compact with extra Gig of RAM to avoid angering S6 previous purchasers). A Note Compact at higher price etc etc.
    If I am correct the Note 5 with small Battery and no SD will sell at 50% of Note 4- it's a downgrade in many ways ..
    Samsung- you can have Consumer Flagships AND
    Pro Flagships- especially if you are going to make 40 60 80 different Models.
    Artie V likes this.
    08-09-2015 08:53 AM
    Agreed 100%! Very annoyed I had to get rid of my Note 4 to be ready for the 5. Will have to get another one!

As others have said, Samsung make practical phones (hence some waterproof) and Apple go for image.

Basically, a Note 4+ with the S6 CPU etc would be ideal, because the 4 was getting sluggish.
    08-09-2015 08:59 AM
    Oh, come on!

I hope it's just for the initial batches.
    08-09-2015 09:25 AM
    How do you know it lasts all day?
    4,100 battery? 💁 My note 4 lasted all day too. And since this has a better processor, it should even last longer.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    08-09-2015 09:39 AM
1,007 ... 3334353637 ...