08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 3536373839 ...
tools
    We shall see how things pan out
    08-10-2015 10:11 AM
    The "bonus" is when you drop it you get a really cool spider web effect all over your phone- just like the iPhone
    Just like which iPhone? The 4/4s? ??

from the Elegance
    08-10-2015 10:23 AM
    Let the masses SPEAK! If no sd slot, the Note 5 will live off of two months of BS inventory load-in numbers and hyperbole from Samsung and then reality of actual consumer sales will kick in. .
    In this thread and others there are people implying that it's all minor fuss that will die down and in the long run everyone returns to the fold. Well, just to give a concrete example of how wrong that is: I used to be an HTC guy. Then, they changed and eliminated the features I wanted. I went to Samsung because they had the features I wanted. Since then, HTC has gone up, down and around, but too late--I'm comfortable, my upgrade path was automatic in the Samsung universe and I haven't bothered to look at them again. That's what happens when you drive your customers to a competitor.

George Santayana original form: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    08-10-2015 11:09 AM
    Just like which iPhone? The 4/4s? ??

from the Elegance
    R
    All of them, based on results at home and work.
    08-10-2015 11:22 AM
    R
    All of them, based on results at home and work.
    Would a case and screen protector have helped?

from the Elegance
    08-10-2015 11:34 AM
    deal breaker for me.
    08-10-2015 11:37 AM
    Would a case and screen protector have helped?

from the Elegance
    Depends on what case. If a thin case not much, but the thicker padded cases help a lot. A lot of folks do not have cases yet and simply drop a slippery glass covered device. Somebody at work last week dropped their 128GB iPhone 6 a few feet on carpet and has a crack going going across and around the device and display. He said was getting a case later in the day but too late.

Glass is not a good thing to encase a portable device in. It looks pretty to people, but compromises already fragile durability and is slippery. Not sure some folks appreciate the irony: Hey, this device looks sweeeeet! Okay, now I have to buy a case for it! Seems like funny stuff
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-10-2015 12:17 PM
    No it's not! It looks professional, iPhone like and high end! Well, until you put a case on it and makes no difference. The "bonus" is when you drop it you get a really cool spider web effect all over your phone- just like the iPhone
    I forgot about the spider well effect. Well there you go then. Note 5's all around!!!
    08-10-2015 01:13 PM
    You buy the right case for a high end nice looking phone and imo it will still look good. Sorry to be off topic.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-10-2015 03:02 PM
    You buy the right case for a high end nice looking phone and imo it will still look good. Sorry to be off topic.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    You are right, of course. I love my Tech 21 cases on my Note 4 and 6 Plus, they look great on the phone IMO.

from the Elegance
    mclarryjr likes this.
    08-10-2015 03:07 PM
    That glass back makes the 5 look like a toy.
    Most toys are made of plastic...not glass
    08-10-2015 03:14 PM
    Point still remains, what is the point of the glass if makes the device more fragile and people put a case on it anway. Seems a negative.
    08-10-2015 04:51 PM
    FWIW GSMarena.com posted the specs of the Note 5 and list the Note 5 with a 4100mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy Note5 - Full phone specifications
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    08-10-2015 05:18 PM
    Point still remains, what is the point of the glass if makes the device more fragile and people put a case on it anway. Seems a negative.
    True, but even so, the first look of the phone without a case is usually appealing to a lot of people, even if they would put a case. I know me personally, because I love the way the S6 looks, I get a clear case instead of one covering the beauty of the phone.

Plus, its Gorilla Glass, so it is durable to some extent
    08-10-2015 05:48 PM
    I haven't read a single post (940+ worth) but just came here from the front page.

What I can say is this: the days of the $800 telephone are over. I wish Samsung the best in this new Moto G world. Yes, the Note demands a premium which some will pay...but $700-900-ish? Nah. Bye and good luck. Ship's sailed.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-10-2015 07:09 PM
    I think many people here are overestimating how passionate the masses are about these issues. The lionshare of people who use these devices aren't as rabid as we are.

There are more people that will buy the device then gripe on these forums. I'm not convinced that removable storage and batteries are big enough issues to sway sales one way or another.

I'm a power user. Removable storage isn't much of a starter for me. As long as battery life is sufficient which it should be with the 7420, lollipop and 4100mah I don't care about a replaceable battery.

Also, many people buy these phones on a contract. 299 on a 2 year plan make it less of a pill to swallow then 900.
    08-10-2015 07:30 PM
    ^ It seems like the U.S.carriers want to end subsidies so the retail price is going to definitely be under pressure.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-10-2015 07:37 PM
    No movement afoot in Canada to end subsidies. Thankfully.

In fact, with the recent implementation of the Canada wireless code, all contracts are capped at 2 years instead of 3. This has resulted in an increase in the monthly cost of plans to offset the loss of revenue resulting in the shortening of the terms.
    08-10-2015 08:24 PM
    What if the Note 5 has no removable battery and microSD slot, but Samsung releases a Note 5 Edge to coincide with it WITH both features (just to push their Edge product line)??
    08-10-2015 08:25 PM
    This is going to be ironic. Samsung just finished holding the spot for leading platform of over 50%, and now they just might hit rock bottom this time with the new Note 5 device. What is that old saying, "In order to achieve your goal, one must start from the bottom and work his or her way to the top?"
    Samsung, you're supposed to go Forward not Backward.
    rushmore likes this.
    08-10-2015 09:13 PM
    IAlso, many people buy these phones on a contract. 299 on a 2 year plan make it less of a pill to swallow then 900.
    $299 + $20 (extra each month vs. Edge) x 24 = $799.
    08-10-2015 09:26 PM
    True, but even so, the first look of the phone without a case is usually appealing to a lot of people, even if they would put a case. I know me personally, because I love the way the S6 looks, I get a clear case instead of one covering the beauty of the phone.

Plus, its Gorilla Glass, so it is durable to some extent
    Very true the initial appeal. Gorilla glass though makes spider web cracks when dropped. It is very scratch resistant, but not very crack resistant. Quite a few iPhone and S6 owners know this by reluctant experience.
    jefmoody likes this.
    08-10-2015 10:30 PM
    What if the Note 5 has no removable battery and microSD slot, but Samsung releases a Note 5 Edge to coincide with it WITH both features (just to push their Edge product line)??
    Samsung did say they would focus marketing on the Edge... That would be a head scratcher.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-10-2015 10:39 PM
    I think many people here are overestimating how passionate the masses are about these issues. The lionshare of people who use these devices aren't as rabid as we are.

There are more people that will buy the device then gripe on these forums. I'm not convinced that removable storage and batteries are big enough issues to sway sales one way or another.

I'm a power user. Removable storage isn't much of a starter for me. As long as battery life is sufficient which it should be with the 7420, lollipop and 4100mah I don't care about a replaceable battery.

Also, many people buy these phones on a contract. 299 on a 2 year plan make it less of a pill to swallow then 900.
    Not with Verizon they won't. One big nasty pill, or many miserable tiny ones now.
    08-10-2015 10:43 PM
    well with Verizon not doing the 2 year contracts anymore, that pill will be ok as you have no choice.
    08-11-2015 09:49 AM
1,007 ... 3536373839 ...