Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

Exactly. If the Note 5 goes the way of the S6 it will not be a bad thing. If if happens, hopefully Samsung will re-evaluate their strategy and change direction. It wouldn't hurt for their executives to peruse these forums and listen to their fan base and find out what they actually want. Samsung will realise they don't have to actually spend as much as they do on research and all the latest technical innovations. Heck, like Apple, they wouldn't even have to spend as much on advertising if they are giving people what they want.

If you think my thread is "doom and gloom", check this article out:

Samsung Needs More Than The Galaxy Note 5 To Beat Apple - Forbes

This is scary stuff. This is why I suggested go all out NOT on more of the latest cutting edge technologies, but all out on features and usability of current technologies that other manufacturers cannot match, such as Apple and the increasing threats of OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei etc.

This is why I suggested putting things like 128GB hard drives as standard, xenon flash and the like. Because Samsung is a huge volume seller compared to OnePlus, it is in a position to negotiate prices for components that the upcoming rival Androids cannot. OnePlus could not afford to put in a xenon flash, front led flash and 128GB hard drive etc and still undercut Samsung flagships by hundreds of dollars. The article I posted is typical of the doom forecast of major manufacturers such as Samsung saying that components have become good enough across the board to undercut the big manufacturers. The argument is why spend many hundreds of dollars on a Samsung flagship to get its camera when a OnePlus or Huawei phone can give you an almost as good as one but that much cheaper.

However, I for one, and I'm sure plenty of others too, would spend hundreds of dollars extra over a OnePlus, Xiaomi etc if not only I am getting a Samsung ISOCELL camera with all its imaging capability, but the 128 GB hard drive, xenon flash, waterproofing etc. I see this as the only way for Samsung to succeed against both Apple and cheaper rival Androids.

As I say, the S5 and S6 are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum and both have fared the same. I see my suggestion as the only way. Use the massive volume discounts that you can negotiate as opposed to a far smaller manufacturer like OnePlus and dare to put in all these features so that you stand out.

And the features have to be seen or heard of generally. It's no use increasing the screen resolution again when the average person is not aware of it. And if they are told by a salesperson, it's like "Meh".

But when the sales person says "It comes standard with 128GB hard drive plus SD card", that is understood by all. When the sales person says it has a front flash, it has a much more powerful xenon flash, that is understood by all. When the sales person says it has a certain large capacity battery that you can use heavily and not run out for one day, that is understood by all. Unfortunately, the whoopee 8 core processor is not understood by most and cannot really be even demonstrated.

So, lots and lots of usable well known and understood features outclassing all others, and the biggest battery life. Features that as a complete package dare not be put in a single phone by any other manufacturer. That is my suggestion to stave off Apple and the emerging successful cheaper rival Androids. But I guarantee that if Samsung continues its present course, it will go down like Nokia and Blackberry like this article suggests. As I say, Samsung can negotiate components cheaper than other manufacturers because of its high volume sales. So they need to exploit that one advantage they have.

The market leading iphones aren't brimming with all the highest specs in their phones. Their specs are actually backwards in many ways and don't have some common features such as wireless charging and IR blasters. So Samsung, take a leaf out of Apples book. Do a modest only amount of further technical innovations in each new phone. Concentrate on giving as much as possible for the best price out of existing excellent features. Your next phone does not need a 4K display, 5 GB RAM, 12 core processor etc.

OH and P.S. I have thought about this often but have been afraid to say it for fear of sounding like a crazy person. You know how the Note series has s retractable S pen. What about bring back a feature of old but modified. A neatly concealed retractable antenna? One that you can push neatly back in when not needed. How many times do people have poor reception when they travel out and about? I think this would be a boon for a lot of poeple.

So many good points. So many valid reasons.

I agree. Increasing display resolution, adding more RAM and processor cores is not innovation.

A Xenon flash, large capacity battery with the same physical size and maybe stuff like super-fast removable storage is innovation.

Let's not forget to mention that a 4K display with current batteries will take a toll on battery life.

The only thing I disagree with in the article is how they think an invite system is clever.

It isn't. It's stupid when you do it wrong, like OnePlus.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Who is actually looking forward to (or has hope for) the Note 5?

For those that are concerned about the SD Card, you could get an SD Card USB adapter and connect it to your phone and use it like that... I think that's even safer than leaving it in ur phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

Does not work very well for music or media integration and one additional thing to keep track of. Not to mention not practical if charging. Not safer really since the most likely point for data corruption is dock and undock point since most exposed time for static shock issues.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who is actually looking forward to (or has hope for) the Note 5?

Does not work very well for music or media integration and one additional thing to keep track of. Not to mention not practical if charging. Not safer really since the most likely point for data corruption is dock and undock point since most exposed time for static shock issues.

I disagree
I think its a good option, and there are pretty good ones that will secure your data and work better than leaving it in the phone
The only thing I will agree with is the inconvenience of carrying another device and wont be able to charge, but its small so its not too bad for some purposes...here is one, has good reviews too

61HT0hVBRtL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Leef Access microSD Card Reader with microUSB 2.0 Connector for Android: Computers & Accessories

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm looking forward to the N5. I'm a jumper but every year I hold the Note longer than any device. My only concern is the battery. I returned both the S6 and G4 because of sub par battery.

I currently use the S6 Active and 6+, both have great battery life. I just don't like the Smaller screen on the active. I really hope the rumors are wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

The Note 5 will deservedly fail. Samsung are selling out and totally ignoring why their fanbase like their phones. all they are doing is completely trying to copy Apple and removing any and all vestiges of their own identity from the phone.

I adore the Note 4. I love that I can do anything I like with it and how well it works with my Gear S and Gear Circle. I couldn't give a **** what it is made of. Why does anyone care about this? Are you that insecure? I loved the Note 3 I had before that and the s4 i had as well. I like them because they cater to the power user types like me. No SD card slot no removable battery and a pathetic, trendy completely apple centric design ethos ensure i will never ever buy this phone and I will have to look elsewhere when my 4 gets too long in the tooth.

Really pathetic showing from Samsung and they should be embarrassed at how hard they are trying to copy Apple, i.e. a tech company made for idiots who don't know anything about technology.

No they buy them because they're idiots who don't know how things work. Even Woz back in 2012 said that at CES.

This is seriousy ****ing hilarious. You call Samsung phones toys and yet you'd rather have a light years behind far less capable device. do you listen to yourself talk because you sure don't make any sense. Please go back to Apple or a Startac, its more your speed.

You know what? Maybe you don't care what your phone looks like, but when I'm spending $800+ on a phone, you're damn right I want it to feel and look like it. I do not want a plastic "barbie doll" or fake leather back anywhere near my phone. I have my own lists of things that are important to me when I'm shopping for a new phone. The Note 4 is a nice phone, but there is always room for improvement.

I like Samsung as a company, and I'm glad they are putting out a phablet I'm willing to spend money on. If you don't get that, then you're the one that ******* hilarious. I don't have to want the same things you want from your device. And that has nothing to do with Apple.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

No they buy them because they're idiots who don't know how things work. Even Woz back in 2012 said that at CES.

Woz is full of crap and repeating this nonsense is just stupid. This common theme that people that buy iPhones are some how mindless idiots that are simple minded and don't have the ability to use a more complicated Android phone is ridiculous. You just make yourself look stupid repeating that junk.

I have an Note 4 and it is a great phone, but I have a lot of very intelligent friends and family members that simply prefer the iPhone. They don't buy them to look cool, they aren't part of a mindless cult. They buy them because they are satisfied with them, they like the customer service they get.

The one issue I do have with my Note 4 which may drive me back to an iPhone myself at some point is the bluetooth skips like crazy during music playback. This is a known Android issue that Google hasn't done crap to resolve. But then it takes months and months to get updates if you get one at all to resolve these type issues. Please don't tell me you don't have the issue, because I know at least 4 or 5 people with these phones and every single one of them have this issue. However, in every other aspect I really like the Note 4. It is an absolutely great phone. But I will not buy another Android device until I know for a fact Google has resolved the ongoing bluetooth issue. I also like the ability to customize and use whatever apps I want, which of course we all know Apple doesn't allow. So, there are pros to going Android, just as there are valid reason some prefer an iPhone, but that doesn't make them idiots!

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm excited, if they use 7422 and big battery. Thing is I have never had Note, but there isn't any other alternatives on market with Stylus. I was also hoping for a better battery than 3000.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey, if someone has the money for a glass and metal phone and uses it without a case for its looks and can readily afford to replace it and have a good backup phone until it's replaced, more power to you. Otherwise, "premium" phones covered by a case are an affectation. But whatever floats your boat.

pmjj

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I hate to say it but I would agree this is not going to be a Samsung winner. They should have left the removable storage and battery alone. and went with a 6 or more in screen size. those would have been huge differences. They are trying to win over apple users but apple users seem to be happy with their own phone. Samsung is alienating there own base of users trying to mimic apple. People that chose a note over an apple wanted what apple was not giving. Now they have made it so much like an apple phone they have driven away their own base of users. No I will not be buying a Note 5 was thinking about it, my note 4 is paid off, so I could upgrade. I will now hold on to my Note 4 as long as possible, while keeping my eye on the competition for my next upgrade.. so disappointed....

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

As I say, let's all hope Samsung learns from its falling sales and has a major rethink about marketing strategies. It's too late for the S7 as it is well underway in development. But I will be most intrigued by the next Galaxy/Note rounds, ie, the Galaxy Note 6 and S8 and see if Samsung:

1. Learn from past mistakes
2. Listen to their loyal user base
3. Take a leaf out of Apple's book and realise that flagship phones don't have to have all the latest and greatest technical innovations.
4. De-bloat their phones significantly
5. Stop pricing their phones deliberately expensive to give an air of premium product. That is the most ridiculous marketing strategy I ever heard and yet it was employed in the S6.
6. Reduce the number of flagship models. No need for a whole mess of variations of Galaxy and Note models. Again, look at what Apple does in that respect. Don't bother for eg, making an "active" Galaxy model. Have the one Galaxy flagship that has all the features of an active model regardless.

I have no idea of the S7 and make no predictions, but I did see the S6 not doing well and I was unfortunately correct. I predict the same for the Note 5 and predict an absolute disaster for the Galaxy S6 plus. I am confident however after all these flounderings that Samsung will listen and do things differently for the Note 6 and S8.

Unfortunately, I do see a lot of former Galaxy Note people giving the LG G4 Pro a buy.

Last edited:

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

I agree with the post a few up that each platform has its plus and minuses.

Personally, I'm extremely tech savvy... I love the customization in Android, ability to use NFC for more than just purchases, ability to use home screen widgets and everything else that goes with it. I've been with Android since the OG Droid for my wife and DroidX for me, and could NEVER have considered Apple as even even being a consideration for my next (or a future) phone until now.

I jumped on the Note line with the Note3 because I wanted the larger screen and pen... and the with the pen they finally made it work with the capacitive buttons. I do use SD cards to offload pictures (I take and edit a lot... photography being my primary hobby.... this includes pictures synced from my 24mp camera... which transfers with the tap of NFC from camera to phone... thank you very much, Android!) I also use spare batteries... out of 5 Android devices I've owned... 4 have had removable batteries which I've taken advantage of. [Battery life after a year on these heavily used devices is a far cry from brand new... many people just blame # of apps or age of device... but its amazing how long a device lasts again with a fresh battery... and being able to swap a fresh one in at 6pm and continue heavy usage of phone past midnight without a charging cable is awesome.]

I also use the IR blaster. Most dSLRs... including both my new and 9 year old camera can be remote triggered via IR. Also has been useful in hotels and on vacation when the room remote is broken/lost/not configured to let me change inputs, etc.

With one fell swoop, Samsung is taking away those 3 key features (removable battery, IR, SD.) I'd say more than half of the people I see using Note series devices also use a wallet or s-view case. Those take ADVANTAGE of the removable back, by making the screen cover a seamless part of the device... no longer possible... those type of cases now will mean added bulk.

So as I look around I see what else is out there... Nobody currently has a comparable stylus enabled device. From what I've SEEN, and heard from Note users I know is that most don't USE the spen... but they love their wallet case. So does this mean the pen is next to go based on usage? Everybody seems to think the industry is going sealed battery/no sd. So where is the differentiation going to be?

I think the iphone 6+ took a big chunk of market of those who considered the Note line, simply due to the large screen size. Take away the IR/SD/Battery and that margin between the two devices only narrows. It is no longer the special capabilities of the device swaying my decision for Samsung. It is now becoming which platform best SUITS MY NEEDS/WANTS. As I stated earlier... I love many things about Android over iOS. But Android has its faults too... which I don't feel like outlining here. -And I know my way around iOS as well with iPads and wife's 6+ (just saying I know the limitations there as well.)

So, if everyone else is right (which I hope they're not) and in a couple years we will have no removable battery/SD across the industry, and I'm just an ***** for hoping otherwise (again... I hope I'm not :confused: ) then for my hobby of photography and other wants - ios is starting to look pretty good. Samsung has yet to make a device that uses Google's Camera 2.0 api - or even allows other popular camera apps to control many of its functions... and iOS by far has the better ecosystem of camera and image/video editing apps.

I don't think I'm being "less tech savvy" or just wanting the "cool-factor" to start seriously thinking... 'Wow, if iPhone7 adds an active stylus - what will I do?' I don't think that will happen. So currently I'm either keeping my Note3, or buying the Note4 when its price drastically drops. But what happens when we talk Note6 time frame? If this trend has continued - and no other Pen enabled device appear on the market as worthy competitors, I'll need to consider if the pen is worth the other sacrifices I'm making - or if a platform shift best suits my needs.

I realize other people have different wants/needs... may not be into photography (mobile or traditional)... may not care about the pen, etc. Every device is a compromise in some regard... its just getting closer to the point for me that maybe I'll compromise on the OS. But wow... if Apple did go the stylus route... if Samsung lost market share due to the 6+ on size alone, I'd imagine Note sales would TANK with an iPhone stylus. Even more so since Samsung has stripped the remaining features that set the Note apart.

anon(415336)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

As somebody who owns an iPhone and an android flagship (currently on the Note 4 because the stage fright fix but also have a g4), all I have to say is there's just no pleasing people. First Samsung sacrifices design and "high end feel" for a swappable battery and sd card. Now Samsung listens to some people and everybody is predicting the downfall of Samsung for "selling out". Honestly, Samsung listened to the noisiest people who bought their phones. I've heard way more "I love my phone but it feels so cheap" than "I love how I can have 25 batteries and just swap 'em".

I (unlike many people here, apparently) will be buying a Galaxy Note 5.
1) The newer exynos SoC are efficient as all hell. Booting up in 6 seconds? And the note 5 has a slightly newer version of that chipset! We're finally coming to the close of the Bloatwiz era.
2) The newer fingerprint sensor from the s5/note 4 generation to the s6/s6 edge/note 5/s6 edge+ generation. A tap over a swipe? All other phones with fingerprint readers this year will be awful. It really does take a year to get this right (even going from the iPhone 5s to the 6+, you can tell there's a difference).
3) The design IS great.
4) The bigger f stop in the camera is enough of a justification for me to upgrade. I don't use a regular point and shoot because smartphone cameras are getting much much better. The f1.8 in my g4 is amazing. Bringing that f1.9 (or maybe bigger. The notes are typically better than the s phones in all ways) to the note 5 will be wonderful. I'll finally be able to use a Samsung phone in low light without the pictures looking blotchy or blown out.
5) Newer flash memory seems more reliable/faster than SD Cards...at least that's the rationale I've heard. 64/128gb on the note 5 (even with some RAW formatted photos should still be fine).
and 6) Even if it's a 3000 maH battery, I have several external batteries. I have a 14k and a 20k brick, and a smaller 2.5k tube. All the battery gripers who can't replace the back cover with a 7k maH cover seem to lament this fact, when really, what you're doing is no different (and decidedly more awkward) than carrying around a good external. A lot of these externals also have 2.1 and some with 4.2 charging ports. In my mind this "issue" has drifted into "non-issue" territory.

I doubt anybody will read this let alone take it seriously. But I thought everybody liked Android phones for the choices they offer. Samsung is simply offering another choice. Damn straight I'll buy it based on the upgrades it decidedly offers over the Note 4. Why am I going to hang on to the most neglected flagship in their history? I hope the lg g4 pro looks great. It probably won't come to the US. After the original Optimus G Pro (which I also had), they stopped and iirc, there was really no G3pro. However, if it does and it looks good? I'll probably try to get one or fish around on eBay.

Happy buying and here's hoping Samsung has a couple surprises for us still next week!

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Another oddity... curious why Samsung, the king of throwing everything against the wall with numerous variations on its own products (How many s6 devices are there now?) Why they didn't put out one WITH the traditional Note features, and another with the sealed design? I haven't even heard of a Note Edge this time around (which I was seriously considering before they did all this.)

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

No debate really when a product is what a person wants and anyone applying their own standard is a tad tyrannical :)

The concern though with the N5 is it will likely be a crack magnet where as the N4 can handle a slight drop and more so if in a case. The S4 & S5 as example are far less of crack magnets than the S6. It seems though the Note 5 will obviously sell millions, but less than the Note 4 and mainly due to less differentiation. Not conjecture or juxtaposition on people that assert this in forums, but analysts seeing and warning of it.

Looks like far more millions will be happy with the N5 than not, but the few million that could move on are a LOT of revenue and install base gone. Really it is a good thing, since gives the smaller Android OEs a chance to gain some revenue and help stay in the black on their P&L's too. The people that move to the iPhone though (due to lack of differentiation) is another issue. I would rather those stay away from Apple.

Added: Still not seeing how the 7420 is much battery efficient than the 808 or even the 805 to a significant degree. The GPU on the 7420 is a hungry hippo and is why it is so relatively powerful (and why the stark differences with battery life reports from users). The real weight of power savings on the Note 4 and S6 is the display and refraining from higher bright colors and white. The 7422 SOC update governs the CPU and GPU more efficiently and a smaller overall package.

I would rather have the 808 that handles games well, but does not go to ludicrous speed pushing pixels when it does not really need to. Nah, I would really rather have a 7420 that could have the GPU scaled down some. Maybe a "7418" ;) :)

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

1) The newer exynos SoC are efficient as all hell. Booting up in 6 seconds? And the note 5 has a slightly newer version of that chipset! We're finally coming to the close of the Bloatwiz era.
Sorry to burst your happy bubble, but all the recent rumors seem to be pointing towards a higher-clocked E7420 rather than the E7422.

I would seriously want the Exynos 7422 to be in it because it is an AIO chip. Meaning that the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage and modem are all inside one chip.

The benefit is obvious. More space for a bigger battery, hence all those 4100mAh battery rumors.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Dual Sim Note 5 to have a MicroSD Slot?

This may be good news for some people

Those wishing the Galaxy Note 5 would bring back the microSD slot to Samsung flagships will be interested in a report from Taiwanese site Sogi.com.tw, which says that the dual SIM version of the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 will feature a microSD slot. The slot will be a hybrid slot like the one seen on Samsung’s Galaxy A series that will allow users to either use a second SIM card or opt to expand their storage instead.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

The one issue I do have with my Note 4 which may drive me back to an iPhone myself at some point is the bluetooth skips like crazy during music playback.

Can you describe this issue more? I play music from Play Music through a Bluetooth speaker sometimes from my Note 4, but I've never noticed the music skipping.

3. Take a leaf out of Apple's book and realise that flagship phones don't have to have all the latest and greatest technical innovations.

6. Reduce the number of flagship models. No need for a whole mess of variations of Galaxy and Note models. Again, look at what Apple does in that respect. Don't bother for eg, making an "active" Galaxy model. Have the one Galaxy flagship that has all the features of an active model regardless.

I disagree with the two points that I left above. I like the fact that Samsung pushes the envelope. By virtue of being one of the largest smartphone OEMs, Samsung's features impact the entire smartphone industry to motivate other OEMs to innovate and refine the features that they offer. We all benefit from the bar being pushed upward.

I also like that the Active series is separate from the regular phones of the Galaxy S series. I'm not one into the "premium" (whatever that is) look of a phone. At the same time, I don't want my phone to look like some waterproof tank with a glass screen. If people have waterproofing needs for their phones, that can be accomplished with special cases and wraps better than it can with charging port flaps that break easily.

Jean-Luc Ensch

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

I totally agree. I come from a Note II and upgraded to the Note 4 last year. Now, the Note 4 is still ranked by many as one of the top ten Android phones. It would take more than the announced specs for me to upgrade (assuming it is an upgrade).

700 dollars or euros to get a non removable, smaller battery, barely better screen and non memory slot is a rip off.

This year's Samsung crop is totally disappointing to me, as the company seems to limit its product marketing to "delivering iphones on Android". That is bound to fail.

Cynically, I wish the Note 5 to fail, in order to see, this time next year, a Note 6 emerging with decent specifications (a somewhat larger screen, i.e. 5.9", a much more powerful and removable battery and the return of the SD slot). Else, it's LG.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

People are still scared of Android. Like they're scared of Linux.

To them Android is for nerds who can write software or have years of experience.

Too much configuring to do.

The Note 5 will appeal as a high end product, but if they (Samsung) are after Apple cores (!) they would have to dumb it down some more.

They may lose Apple buyers AND Note fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol