08-13-2015 10:10 AM
1,007 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    I would probably move to the IPhone if they take away the slot and the removable battery nah I couldn't do a iPhone but I wouldn't upgrade just stick with the note4

Posted via the Android Central App
    Lol but why put that thought even in a person's head about the iPhone lol
    07-13-2015 10:46 PM
    Once Samsung confirms the Note 5 specs I'll decide whether or not to ugrade. I've had Samsung for sometime now giving up sd support and battery replacement. I can live without it if they offer 32/64gb model.

Sent from the mighty Tab S
    07-13-2015 11:12 PM
    I still most likely will. My main driver is an IPhone 6 plus.

Tapatalk'n On The SGNIV
    07-14-2015 12:52 AM
    I liked having my SD Card too and I have had the first Galaxy ever to come out all the way to a GS4 and now an S6. I went with a 64GB and now I can honestly say that I have so much extra memory now. The purpose for the SD card removal was because SD cards were corrupting devices. Such as erasing photos, making black images in gallery. Not playing videos or erasing other DATA.

smooth4lyfe likes this.
    07-14-2015 12:54 AM
    Battery will not be an issue. S6 even with small capacity will still push 13hrs without a charge. As a owner of the S6 I run bluetooth all day text all day have multiple group chats with conversations going all day. Social media and will be at 70-66% by a full 9 hour work shift everyday. Note 5 even a bigger battery. Do not worry about removable batteries.

smooth4lyfe likes this.
    07-14-2015 12:58 AM
    I have the Note 4 developer edition with 128g SD with 22 gig left. Note 5 developer edition is not confirm and retail may not be rooted at all. I'll stick with the note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2015 01:12 AM
    The expandable storage isn't a deal breaker for me but the built in battery makes me nervous. I don't know if it's how I do things or if it's more of an android thing but the amount of time my phone will freeze versus when I used an iPhone is so much greater and I love just doing a quick battery pull. Also do love carrying a couple extra batteries for my long trips rather than a juice pack.
    I'll wait and see how it all runs when it releases before I make my final decision...
    07-14-2015 01:40 AM
    Think really a good phone
    07-14-2015 03:59 AM
    I'd be fine if it has 64GB of storage base and a battery that's 3500+mAh or larger.
    mtmerrick likes this.
    07-14-2015 05:27 AM
    Battery is a bigger concern to me but as long as they increase it a fair amount and don't go smaller like the s6 then I will consider upgrading. To be fair though, my note 4 is the first phone I've had where I'm not constantly looking to see what else is coming out.
    07-14-2015 05:42 AM
    Neither are deal breakers for me.

so if the non removable battery and no sd card are deal breakers for many of you what will you move to?

LG G4? Pickings are slim. I personally think some of you are just venting because it's change you are upset with, people hate change.
    07-14-2015 06:30 AM
    Time will tell seriously
    07-14-2015 06:47 AM
    Which phone to migrate to if Samsung removes these valuable options, I'm sure it will be an entire thread on which phone to buy that wants all the customers Samsung would be giving up. It may be a the providers bribing the phone manufacturers since the providers will be benefiting by selling everyone data that will have to be sent to the cloud and retrieved from the cloud. I'm not venting personally, I'm just stating fact. They remove it, I'm migrating to another manufacturer who wants my business. Samsung has so many different tablets and phones, they should keep at least one with the removable battery and sd card.
    07-14-2015 07:02 AM
    Expandable storage is completely unnecessary for my use with all of the cloud options available.

As for sealed battery, no big deal there either. Yes, switching out is nice but I also have enough mobile power options that removable batteries are not a requirement.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time
    Why do people always suggest power packs to charge up a phone as an alternative to a removable battery? It doesn't answer the problem of the battery in the phone eventually not being able to hold a charge which will happen. Great to be able to charge with your power pack but not great if you have to charge it again two hours later. A new removable battery, 30 euro. Problem solved.

lions_lair likes this.
    07-14-2015 07:08 AM
    No removable battery and no expandable storage? These are reasons why I went with the note 4 in the first place. I swap out batteries at least 3 to 4 times a week...the Note 5 will have to definitely dazzle me to get rid of these options...I love my note 4!

Posted via my Note 4
    07-14-2015 07:44 AM
    Why do people always suggest power packs to charge up a phone as an alternative to a removable battery? It doesn't answer the problem of the battery in the phone eventually not being able to hold a charge which will happen. Great to be able to charge with your power pack but not great if you have to charge it again two hours later. A new removable battery, 30 euro. Problem solved.
    Exactly. I'd add, however, that there are times when an external charger is not going to do the trick. If you're about out of juice and you need to start using the phone again---like a couple of months ago, when it literally died when I was in the middle a long trip and using it for GPS--it's way easier to get right back to 100% with a new battery. You do that in seconds, not hours. Plus, in many circumstances, you may be on the go. Do you really want to walk around a city with an external battery pack in your right hand and the phone in your left?

I think the die is cast, be it in the Note 5 or any other new device. In the near future we will see the non user replaceable battery and the removable of the SD card become a thing of the past..... I dumped my 64Gb SD card and now use various cloud storage services as a replacement.
    As to the first point, the trend indeed seems obvious--can't argue with you there--but I really can't believe that in a marketplace this competitive and crowded that SOMEONE won't choose to do the same thing Samsung did: differentiate themselves by going against the flow and offering more options with features like sd cards.

As for the second point--there, I have to strongly disagree. I fail to see how cloud storage replaces my SD card. There may be a time and a day when I can stream flawlessly and endlessly with (a) no additional charges and (b) no connectivity issues, but that day is really not today. I am frequently in places where connectivity is an issue, never mind data charges; and I don't have an unlimited data plan, either.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    07-14-2015 08:02 AM
    I'm still curious how people can just buy new phones every time they come out.
    07-14-2015 08:03 AM
    Exactly. I'd add, however, that there are times when an external charger is not going to do the trick. If you're about out of juice and you need to start using the phone again---like a couple of months ago, when it literally died when I was in the middle a long trip and using it for GPS--it's way easier to get right back to 100% with a new battery. You do that in seconds, not hours. Plus, in many circumstances, you may be on the go. Do you really want to walk around a city with an external battery pack in your right hand and the phone in your left?

As to the first point, the trend indeed seems obvious--can't argue with you there--but I really can't believe that in a marketplace this competitive and crowded that SOMEONE won't choose to do the same thing Samsung did: differentiate themselves by going against the flow and offering more options with features like sd cards.

As for the second point--there, I have to strongly disagree. I fail to see how cloud storage replaces my SD card. There may be a time and a day when I can stream flawlessly and endlessly with (a) no additional charges and (b) no connectivity issues, but that day is really not today. I am frequently in places where connectivity is an issue, never mind data charges; and I don't have an unlimited data plan, either.
    I can't agree more on the removable battery.
    peter733 likes this.
    07-14-2015 08:17 AM
    I'm still curious how people can just buy new phones every time they come out.
    For me, I am a sucker for the latest and greatest, so I may give in to buy the Note 5, but I may switch back to my Note 4 as I did with the Galaxy 6 Edge. I usually buy the new phones at full price with TMobile, and sell the old phone on Craigslist.
    07-14-2015 08:27 AM
    I honestly don't care about micro SD as long as they have a 64gb model, I seriously doubt anyone needs more than 128gb, I have over 3000 songs, bunch of podcasts, strictly record in 4k, take loads of pictures and I have yet to hit 128gb. Secondly, the battery in this phone is supposed to be huge, and the note 4 already has incredible battery life, also with Android M, that already great battery life is going to skyrocket. I don't see why people are complaining.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 4
    mtmerrick and beh like this.
    07-14-2015 08:55 AM
    so if the non removable battery and no sd card are deal breakers for many of you what will you move to?
    Another Note 4, it offers me EVERYTHING I expect from a flagship device.
    monsieurms and peter733 like this.
    07-14-2015 09:01 AM
    To those saying "NO WAY!!!!" I'll ask you this: What are you going to go to as an alternative? Yes, you can stay on your Note 3/4 for longer, but after that?

The industry is starting to move away from both SD cards and easily swappable batteries. There are several reasons why both are going extinct, but the fact remains that OEMs are still dropping them. Phones that have either (nevermind both) will get fewer and far between.

The Note 5 will most likely have 128G internal options. Yes, not quite the same as having a potentially unlimited supply of sd cards to swap in and out, but with... maybe something in the range of 115G available. Need more, USB OTG is available if needed. As for the battery thing. Yes, the battery might be fixed, but from everything I've read, we should expect a sizable bump in the battery's size, and between improvements in hardware efficiency, that could lead to a considerable improvement in performance. If you still need more... the market is now filled with Quick Charge capable external battery packs...

I understand that these might not be an ideal solution for many of you. But you have two options here; rage against the dying of the light, or adapt your usage and move ahead.
    07-14-2015 09:39 AM
    How many minutes are in an 8-hour night? Is it more than 1066 minutes? Yeah no, didn't think so. I wouldn't have been able to upload my pics overnight even if I I wanted to.

I shouldn't have to get a hotel with faster wifi, just so I can upload my photos to the cloud lol. That's not my priority when looking for a hotel. How about I just get a phone with an SD card instead so I don't have to upload my photos in the first place? Seems more convenient to me.
    For you it may be more convenient. I set mine to auto backup to the cloud once I am home so I really don't even have to put effort or think to upload the photos to the cloud .. It does it for me .

In your case of 1300 photos on July 4th .. I could see why you want an SD card. Just realize that is not typical for majority of people (to take that many in 1 day). Even if I did I would still back them up elsewhere other than an SD card because I don't trust just one location for keeping photos.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    07-14-2015 10:54 AM
    There are several reasons why both are going extinct...
    What are the reasons why you think the sd card and replaceable battery options are going extinct?
    07-14-2015 10:57 AM
    Yes and no.

Yes if it had a large capacity like 128GB. No if it's 32GB. I think 16/32GB options should not even be considered in the design. 64/128GB should be the new standard.
    07-14-2015 11:05 AM
1,007 ... 7891011 ...