Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

I don't think you understand the crux of the problem. If I have 8 GB of data and I need to upload it, but my connection speed from a hotel with crappy wifi is only 0.1 Mbps, it would take 10,666 minutes to upload. Even if the upload speed was 1 Mbps it would still take 1,066 minutes.

My point is, when dealing with large amounts of data (photos/videos) and you have no access to fast wifi, you NEED an SD card for the additional storage. Uploading to the cloud so you can clear out storage is just not feasible, I shouldn't have to wait overnight to make sure my photos upload. What if the connection breaks, or a photo fails to upload? What if I run out of storage during the middle of the day? Having the additional storage right with my device gives me the ability to keep on trucking without having to worry about uploading or having enough storage space.

I understand you are trying to make a point, but its not as bad as you are making it out to be

1. Google Photos is unlimited cloud storage (which is already a plus)
2. Overnight uploading is not a bad thing, its the same thing as backing up your big files to a external Hard Drive overnight, which is what I do and pretty common if you are backing up large amounts of files
3. The photos will pause if the connection breaks, and will automatically resume once its back up
4. Set it up so that when you take a pic, it goes on your SD Card, but automatically will save on the cloud as an extra backup...do no wait till you get 8GB of photos before you do a bulk upload
5. You need to get a better hotel if its offering you that speed. I have heard of no hotel with such a low speed, unless you are connected to someone else's wifi

And just so you know, if your SD card crashes, gets misplaced, or damages, say goodbye to your photos. I HIGHLY recommend you back them up to a cloud service or external HD

Last edited:

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I understand you are trying to make a point, but its not as bad as you are making it out to be

2. Overnight uploading is not a bad thing, its the same thing as backing up your big files to a external Hard Drive overnight, which is what I do and pretty common if you are backing up large amounts of files
3. The photos will pause if the connection breaks, and will automatically resume once its back up
4. Set it up so that when you take a pic, it goes on your SD Card, but automatically will save on the cloud as an extra backup...do no wait till you get 8GB of photos before you do a bulk upload
5. You need to get a better hotel if its offering you that speed. I have heard of no hotel with such a low speed, unless you are connected to someone else's wifi

And just so you know, if your SD card crashes, gets misplaced, or damages, say goodbye to your photos. I HIGHLY recommend you back them up to a cloud service or external HD

No offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about, and you're giving your input where you obviously don't have the experience or need.

Cloud storage is not a substitute for local storage for many people. Just because you don't see a usage scenario that couldn't exist solely on an overnight upload to a cloud, doesn't mean there's not many people who actually do.

And, had you stayed in many (or any) luxury hotels, you'd find that they are often times the absolute worst when it comes to Internet speeds. And in most cases, you have to pay for the Internet use, which makes it even worse.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

No offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about, and you're giving your input where you obviously don't have the experience or need.

Cloud storage is not a substitute for local storage for many people. Just because you don't see a usage scenario that couldn't exist solely on an overnight upload to a cloud, doesn't mean there's not many people who actually do.

And, had you stayed in many (or any) luxury hotels, you'd find that they are often times the absolute worst when it comes to Internet speeds. And in most cases, you have to pay for the Internet use, which makes it even worse.

I think you are misinterpreting my posts
I am not saying substitute it for local storage, and it shouldn't be. I am saying its not a bad alternative. In other words, the OP was saying he is keeping all his files on the SD card, which is not a bad thing, but I am saying that its good to have cloud storage just incase anything happens, and that it works similar to an SD card without the actual card. I am not saying throw away your SD card and use cloud storage

The poster I was responding to made it seem like could storage is the worst thing in the world, I am just saying its not a bad alternative to not having a SD card. Unless the poster is living in the hotel, I dont see why its so hard to wait till you get on good service or wifi and then upload. He does not have to upload it at the hotel, but I was using overnight upload as a solution to his problem, which he obviously didnt like.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I think you are misinterpreting my posts
I am not saying substitute it for local storage, and it shouldn't be. I am saying its not a bad alternative. In other words, the OP was saying he is keeping all his files on the SD card, which is not a bad thing, but I am saying that its good to have cloud storage just incase anything happens, and that it works similar to an SD card without the actual card. I am not saying throw away your SD card and use cloud storage

The poster I was responding to made it seem like could storage is the worst thing in the world, I am just saying its not a bad alternative to not having a SD card. Unless the poster is living in the hotel, I dont see why its so hard to wait till you get on good service or wifi and then upload. He does not have to upload it at the hotel, but I was using overnight upload as a solution to his problem, which he obviously didnt like.

Unfortunately, as I said, hotel wifi can very awful, and I'd hate to rely on it if I was in one regularly.

Local and cloud storage should be used in conjunction with one another for backing up important items. I've taught a photography class for over 6 years now, and I've had multiple people lose ALL of their photos because they relied on only one place for keeping their items. Some lost everything when a hard drive failed, 2 lost them due to icloud, 1 lost them because they never removed anything from their sd card.

I personally keep a double backup on my computer, 2 hard drives in a fire safety box, and use some online backup for select items.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, as I said, hotel wifi can very awful, and I'd hate to rely on it if I was in one regularly.

Local and cloud storage should be used in conjunction with one another for backing up important items. I've taught a photography class for over 6 years now, and I've had multiple people lose ALL of their photos because they relied on only one place for keeping their items. Some lost everything when a hard drive failed, 2 lost them due to icloud, 1 lost them because they never removed anything from their sd card.

I personally keep a double backup on my computer, 2 hard drives in a fire safety box, and use some online backup for select items.

This is exactly what I was trying to say and what I was trying to tell the poster I was responding too
Similarly with me, I have about 3 external hard drives, and I do back up all my photos on them, but started about 2 years ago to back my photos and other files on the cloud, which has worked amazingly well for me. I do a lot of video editing, and some things I record on my phone, but I back up to Google Drive when I get home so I can access them at any location without the need to carry my HD around.

Not too long ago my photos deleted off my phone randomly which I was not too happy about (probably due to some bug or something), but l had all my photos on my Google Drive which I was able to save and recover. This is what I was trying to explain about the cloud. I was a bit shocked that the poster had 8GB of photos on his phone and had not backed it up anywhere, which I was recommending him to backup to a cloud service or external HD, because it can easily be lost on the phone, even if it is on an SD card.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well you do know that your carrier has access to all your phone numbers and text messages, and possible know everything you download on their network, which could be worst than them having access to your pictures and music.

This is how I feel. I personally don't care if Google goes in and sees my pictures.. I have nothing super sensitive. I get some will say "but your privacy" and I agree but .. They say they aren't and I will take it at that. Could they? Sure. Chances of them looking at little ol' me? Probably very slim.

Since we all use carriers they see where we go, who we talk to, and what we say in text messages. Carriers can map out any day where you travel and everything so privacy kind of goes out the window when using these devices. Yes .. I know that is the carrier vs Google but for me .. The convenience of backing everything up online so I can have it from phone to phone is worth it for me.

Also not saying I am against SD cards .. My G4 has a slot I just don't use one due to unlimited data (I stream a lot) but I still have my photos and such backup automatically over wifi (and when charging) once I am home. That is more peace of mind for me than having everything on a random HD in my house.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

How many minutes are in an 8-hour night? Is it more than 1066 minutes? Yeah no, didn't think so. I wouldn't have been able to upload my pics overnight even if I I wanted to.

I shouldn't have to get a hotel with faster wifi, just so I can upload my photos to the cloud lol. That's not my priority when looking for a hotel. How about I just get a phone with an SD card instead so I don't have to upload my photos in the first place? Seems more convenient to me.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Well you do know that your carrier has access to all your phone numbers and text messages, and possible know everything you download on their network, which could be worst than them having access to your pictures and music. I don't see that comparison as much different. It will truly be hard to hide all your personal information from the companies that manage them, but I would trust that they will not do anything with them.

I am also pretty sure password protecting your SD cards will not prevent hackers from getting in. If you go into "My Files" on your phone, anyone can access the "ext_card" folder without the need for a password

Well IF the My Files App is Locked due to some apps having that feature then No, Not anyone can access the "ext_card" unless they had the app lock password.

Posted via the Android Central App

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Cloud services are 100% toilet for regular use w/o ubiquitous wifi. And without a reliable network connection, the cloud service becomes useless. Meanwhile, you can always retrieve from physical storage barring a physical defect. They're better for backup, not for access.

What if you use multiple devices? Someone may have a work/personal cell or just multiple cells, tablet and computer. If you use the cloud for storing photo's, video's, and data then accessing that service will be all you need to view your information no matter which device you are using. What if you decide to move from a Samsung device to LG or HTC or some other brand? You can use the SD card but you are going to want to format it. Therefore, the photos on that card need to be offloaded to another medium like a computer.

If you only use one device in your life then sure having just that device's internal storage plus an SD card will suffice. Truth be told in this day and age you can always retrieve your cloud info. I have Verizon Wireless service, FIOS at home, reliable internet at work, and when I travel I always have service (in my hotels) so how common is it NOT to have a reliable connection these days for an extended period of time???

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

That's the thing though, it's an unnecessary step to download files when files can be easily be stored and retrieved locally via SD card. I fly a lot for business, and it's way convenient to kill time watching a 2 hr movie on my phone; I can't do that if my movies are stored in the cloud.

Backing up to the cloud does not mean you have to delete any local copies. So if your device does not have an SD card you would store your movie on the internal drive. In turn, that movie along with photo's could be backed up in the cloud so if you ever get to the point where space is becoming a problem then delete the larger files with confidence knowing they are stored elsewhere. It's easier than you might think.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Trust me, I understand where you coming from as well. It just makes sense to me to have that option available to users of the note 5. So what does it mean for the SD card business if they force everything to the cloud? Well I see the need to have more reliable data and at some point we will all need to have unlimited data plans since Wifi is not always trusted and available.

The days may be numbered for SD cards however devices will continue to contain internal storage which is more reliable anyway. Like someone posted it is a more expensive option at this point.

I do not view cloud services as SD card replacements. Expanded internal device storage will ultimately replace SD cards. The cloud will be incorporated into our lives for remote access, sharing, and backup. Everyone is using cloud service today, most notably in the form of contacts. When we purchase a new device isn't all of our contact information available? Nothing additional needed to be done other than put in gmail infomation. Cloud technology services is the future and will eventually change how we do some things today.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

I took 1300+ pictures this 4th of July weekend, using over 8 GB of data (and that's not including the videos I took). Where and how am I supposed to upload these pictures to the cloud? Obviously I can't use my carrier's data plan because I'd be using all my data quickly. And my hotel room's free wifi only had a 0.1 Mbps upload speed. Do you know how long it would take to upload 8 GB of data at 0.1 Mbps?

I think it is probably fair to say most people do not shoot 1300 pictures in a weekend. That said, whether you choose to use the cloud for backup or not you should still backup your work. I tend never to use my carrier data plan for moving my files. My setting is set to backup my information when the device is charging and on (my) wifi.

The amount of photos and videos you take is not a determining factor for whether or not you should upload to the cloud. With a good connection 8gb is not a problem and like someone suggested do it overnight and it will be complete in the morning. Obviously in a hotel room with slow upload isn't the most ideal time to try and exchange data. I wouldn't even send and email at that speed. The most ideal time to transfer data is when it is most convenient for YOU and when you have a broadband connection that isn't going to time out....

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I invested on a 64gb Class 10 Turbo card not to throw it in the trash bin, enough said!

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

How many minutes are in an 8-hour night? Is it more than 1066 minutes? Yeah no, didn't think so. I wouldn't have been able to upload my pics overnight even if I I wanted to.

I shouldn't have to get a hotel with faster wifi, just so I can upload my photos to the cloud lol. That's not my priority when looking for a hotel. How about I just get a phone with an SD card instead so I don't have to upload my photos in the first place? Seems more convenient to me.

Even if you had a phone without an sd card you wouldn't have to upload your photos. They would save to the internal hard drive. The cloud is there to save information to that you may not necessarily want to keep on your local storage drive. Or you may want to keep the data on your local drive but use the cloud for backup. The convenience is with the cloud as you have way more options available to you. that said, using the cloud is not for everyone.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

What if you use multiple devices? Someone may have a work/personal cell or just multiple cells, tablet and computer. If you use the cloud for storing photo's, video's, and data then accessing that service will be all you need to view your information no matter which device you are using. What if you decide to move from a Samsung device to LG or HTC or some other brand? You can use the SD card but you are going to want to format it. Therefore, the photos on that card need to be offloaded to another medium like a computer.

If you only use one device in your life then sure having just that device's internal storage plus an SD card will suffice. Truth be told in this day and age you can always retrieve your cloud info. I have Verizon Wireless service, FIOS at home, reliable internet at work, and when I travel I always have service (in my hotels) so how common is it NOT to have a reliable connection these days for an extended period of time???
Actually it is quite common especially in rural georgia

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

The days may be numbered for SD cards however devices will continue to contain internal storage which is more reliable anyway. Like someone posted it is a more expensive option at this point.

I do not view cloud services as SD card replacements. Expanded internal device storage will ultimately replace SD cards. The cloud will be incorporated into our lives for remote access, sharing, and backup. Everyone is using cloud service today, most notably in the form of contacts. When we purchase a new device isn't all of our contact information available? Nothing additional needed to be done other than put in gmail infomation. Cloud technology services is the future and will eventually change how we do some things today.

Nope I don't store info on the cloud

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

SD Card is more convenient at that time yes, but, I think its pretty dumb to keep everything on the SD card without backing it up somewhere else. You don't have to back it up at the hotel, you can wait until you get to better service.

Trust me, I was like you at first, saying that cloud is not what I need, or its not convenient, but once I tried it, it was like wow this is pretty useful. All I'm saying is that its better to backup you photos somewhere rather than leaving them on your SD Card. Cloud is the most convenient service for that

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Well IF the My Files App is Locked due to some apps having that feature then No, Not anyone can access the "ext_card" unless they had the app lock password.

Posted via the Android Central App

Well that maybe true. I have never used an app like that so it could be possible its locked. I probably wouldn't trust it 100% though

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Nope I don't store info on the cloud

Your carrier still has your contact information, phone numbers, and texts messages whether you save them on the cloud or not, so I think the privacy argument is weak for cloud services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze