Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Those thinking of moving to the Note 5...

It might be a tough call for me. In all truthfulness, the last time I had to replace a battery was in my razr (flip phone). In the 5 other phones I've owned since, I've not once had to replace my battery. Then again, phone replacements probably came before the batteries needed to be replaced. As for the SD issue, that too may or may not bother me. However, I would still wish to have both options!

My N4 is still "new" in my eyes so I don't even think I'll even consider upgrading to the N5 unless it's like screaming improvements. I mean REALLY screaming improvements! Not likely!

Raybo7

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

The Note 4 is new to me also, there is no weaknesses in this phone that I can find except the learning curve but that's just me getting familiar. This is my first Samsung Note phone.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I absolutely love the Note series, so I am scared to switch to a totally different phone and/or platform altogether, so let's hope the Note 5 will have the replaceable battery option. I just hate being tethered to recharge my battery.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

If that happens, I will use the Note 4 till it dies, and then by another Note 4. If I can't find one, then I will look at the Nexus line( Must be nice to be first in line when there are OS updates).

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

I have had the Note 2,3,4 and would not be happy if Samsung doesn't put a removable battery and a S.D. card slot on the Note 5. At this point i am 50-50 on if i up grade or not. :confused: The Note 5 has other good things like a 64 Bit processor that would make it handle the ram more efficient.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Really love my Note 4 and like having the MicroSD and replaceable battery. For those of us who root and tweak the piece of mind of being able to do full nandroid backups to MicroSD and restore from that is great. I also will occasionally carry a spare battery for swapping out. Most days I never need to replace my battery but sometimes I'll have a heavy use day and it's nice to be able to swap out to a 100% battery without being tied to a charger of any style or bulking up the phone with external battery pack/cases.

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

It's definitely a deal breaker for me, but I can't think of any phone I would want I've been using Samsung since the beginning of the S series. Never wanted a Note until I saw the Note 4 and it's awesome. I carry spare batteries because of my heavy phone use, and use a 128gb sd. Which by the way has about 40gb of available space. If no sd or removeable battery I'm definitely not interested in the 5 no matter how bad I may want something new.

Posted via the Android Central App

note-4

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

Non removable battery would be ok... No sd card would not be cool!!!

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Since getting the SGN.IV and really liking it (as in not going to get rid of it and definitely no regrets with it), will have to see how goes it when the SGN.V does makes its debut. :cool:

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is new to me and I have no ifs/ands/or buts about buying it and, NO, I'm not experiencing nor have I experienced any catastrophic glitches as some may have. In fact I'm very satisfied and happy with it. But in regards to the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 5, well, will see when it's available. That's all. :cool:

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Since getting the SGN.IV and really liking it (as in not going to get rid of it and definitely no regrets with it), will have to see how goes it when the SGN.V does makes its debut. :cool:

Same here, waiting for the official Note 5 specs and design, for the time being the G4 and Note Edge are great phones thanks to their screens and SD card, the Edge is sexier but older, the G4 is lighter and newer but it has touchscreen problem. Both have actually a poor custom roms count and are overpriced but by the time the Note 5 is unveiled everything should change.
If the Note 5 doesn't have an SD card it's a total no go, same if it's oversized as some said and too heavy (above 175grm)

daiwolf

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

The note will be my first and last Samsung of that's the case. I'll end up checking out the Nexus line of phones. Why would I want to deal with touchwiz if we lose the 2 things that made it worth dealing with.

Doesn't the nexus phones not have a SD card slot ?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Doesn't the nexus phones not have a SD card slot ?

It does not. But it has things the Note 5 will not, like fast OS updates.

The Note 4 currently has three things going for it that makes it relatively unique and desirable in the phablet market:
1. Swappable battery
2. Storage expansion (SD card slot)
3. S-Pen

The cost of having one is that you have to have TouchWiz, and that means Android OS upgrades take months. Nexus devices get OS upgrades fast, but they have none of the three above.

So, if Sammy decides to turn the Note 5 into a device that removes two of the three major differentiators, the formula that made me choose the Note 4 changes a lot.

If the Note 5 has a swappable battery and SD card slot, and S-Pen, then there are three major design considerations that make it the most desirable phone on the market (at least for me personally, obviously we all have different priorities in a phone or there wouldn't be a market of varied phones). I'm willing to put up, reluctantly, with OS updates to get all three features.

Take two of them away, and I may still get a Note 5 - S-Pen is pretty awesome - but I'll look at other phablets a lot more seriously.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

Your carrier still has your contact information, phone numbers, and texts messages whether you save them on the cloud or not, so I think the privacy argument is weak for cloud services

Didn't say I had a privacy issue. I just don't personally load anything into the cloud.

MarathonMan

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

Deal breaker with no swappable battery or SD Card. The 4200 mAh battery might get me through the day, but then I have to go through the hassle of having the battery replaced professionally when the time comes. No SD card, no way. They will probably offer a 128gb model, no doubt a lot more expensive than a 32gb model that I can had a 128gb SD Card to for a total of 160gb of memory. I read they are doing this so the phone will be faster.
Really, even running Nova as a launcher the phone is virtually instantaneous.

blujay40

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Short answer, No, we will not be upgrading to the Note 5 from our Note 3's if the SD card option is no longer available. Most likely will grab a couple of Note 4's once it is confirmed that Samsung is parting ways with a couple of the MAJOR "features" that made the Note series the success it has been up until now. I expect any increase in Note 4 sales at that time, along with many current Note 4 owners standing pat or changing to other devices, will "clear the air" on whether Samsung is making a mistake or not.

The longer explanation would have many aspects. From the simplest function of allowing for easy and all but unlimited storage to a device like this, to allowing us to leave the camera, camcorder, laptop, etc. at home during many vacations, to camping trips where no signal is available but still allows us to listen to our massive music collection and watch our movie/video preferences offline, to allowing us to move/backup our data WITHOUT having to be tethered to a computer/laptop or burning thru data using "the cloud", to even ensuring that we didn't lose everything when the device itself gave up the ghost by getting dropped in the ocean, an SD card option is a must for us. And although we do use the Notes other features such as the S Pen and enjoy it's state of the art performance as well, none of that is more important for us in a device than it's capability to be a "do it all" device which so far, does it better than any other device in the market. For me, the Note 5 without an SD card slot, and for that matter, a replaceable battery simply to support increased "performance" and trying to compete in the market's "beauty contest" is one step forward, but two steps back.

If Samsung wants to produce a new variant called the Note 5 Edge, S6 plus, etc. with the "flash" to appease the fanboys in the press that criticize the Note for not being "pretty" enough and others that only care about the "performance" advantages of owning a Note and don't need the unlimited storage, extended battery options, or have unlimited data plans and always have a signal, then fine, appease away. With that said, I didn't purchase a Note for all these years, simply to impress others or care if they thought it was too large, or whether it would "impress" anyone else. I bought it because it did everything I needed it to. If Samsung takes away the standard Note "design" and tosses away a large part of it's original "functionality" that made the Note a success in the first place, then I have to decide whether the stylus option is enough to make me overlook the future Note's other "short comings". Probably not.

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

Deal killer for me also. I will stick with my Note 4. I record a ton of movies and pictures and the extra storage is a must. ( 3 young kids). And the cloud is nice.... But if your out and about , and no wifi, dont want to use all my cellular data trying to clear space.

The entire removal of SD is nothing more then a money grab. Yes there is a performance hit, but for just storing things like pics,vids and music who cares if its a tad slower.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

At the end of the day, people's decision about SD Card v. Cloud is subjective, and people will go for what is more convenient or appealing to them. However, this is my opinion on it:

I think a lot of people are making the mistake of thinking that without the SD Card, they will not be able to listen to music or record videos efficiently. Which is totally not true. Your phone still has local storage, which you would be able to record video, take pictures, or do anything else you could with an SD Card. The cloud is not and should not replace local storage. The cloud I believe should be more so a place to backup your documents and other files. The only benefit I see with using an SD card is the transfer of it from device to device. Other than that, nothing has really changed.

For those that make the argument about burning data or having no coverage, those are the people that are using the cloud wrong. The cloud is not replacing your local storage, and you do not have to backup your files to the cloud every 5 minutes. I personally have my setting so that it only backs up when I am on wifi, and will pause when I am not on wifi. This has worked pretty well for me, and when I check my data, my cloud transfer doesn't even show up as something that is wasting my data. It honestly does not take long to back up files to the cloud on a decent connection. You do not need a fiber optic connection to make use of the cloud.

For those that make the argument of phone storage, I believe this is not much of a strong argument as well. I currently have the 16GB version of the Galaxy S6 and I to take a lot of pictures and record video. I still have a good amount of free space left on my phone. I record in 720p video. What I do is backup all my pictures and videos to the cloud, and if I do not need them, on my phone, I can delete them, but also knowing I have them saved. On the contrary, if you do listen to a lot of music, this may be a problem, as it was for me. I do like to keep a lot of music on my phone locally, and I do not do so on my S6 because I prefer to save the phone space for apps and other things. I use the Asus Zenfone 2 as my music player, which does have an SD Card. This alternative has not been a problem for me so far, and I actually like carrying 2 phones around.

Now I highly doubt the SD card was the success or the optimal feature of the Note series, and everything you could do on the Note 4 I'm sure can certainly be done on the Note 5 if not more. I know personally I probably will not use the stylus on the Note 5. I will use it more so like I do the S6. My main reason for transferring from the S6 to the Note 5 is the 4GB of ram and the bigger battery (4GB of ram makes a noticeable difference from 3GB...comparing the Zenfone 2's 4GB to the S6's 3GB).

As for removable battery, fast charging has really worked well for me. Unless you are always on the move and cannot spare 5-10 minutes to fast charge your phone, then a removable battery is not much of a big problem. Now me personally, I prefer to have the option of the SD card and removable battery, but I will not tell myself I will not get a great phone because of those 2 features.

I was initially upset when the S6 was announced that there was no removable battery and SD card, especially since the SD Card was an needed feature for me. The camera is what drove me to the S6 over the need for a SD Card. I first tried cloud when I had my S5, and I can say it has been really helpful. For those that oppose it, I would say just try and make use of it and see if you would like it. Sure there are times when you won't have a connection to access it, but like I said, it should not be your main storage. Continue to keep pictures and videos on your phone's local storage, but if you do use the cloud, use it as a backup, not replacing your local storage. I also think its better to get used to it now then later because it seems like non-removable battery and no SD card is becoming the trend for mobile phones.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

...but if you do use the cloud, use it as a backup...
The issue for me is not the backup, but the retrieving of media files whenever and wherever I want. SD card for me is the most efficient and cost effective way, more so than the cloud.

As for battery, nothing beats a removable back, not even quick charging, wireless charging, mophie juice, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37