Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Those thinking of moving to the Note 5...

To those saying "NO WAY!!!!" I'll ask you this: What are you going to go to as an alternative? Yes, you can stay on your Note 3/4 for longer, but after that?

The industry is starting to move away from both SD cards and easily swappable batteries. There are several reasons why both are going extinct, but the fact remains that OEMs are still dropping them. Phones that have either (nevermind both) will get fewer and far between.

The Note 5 will most likely have 128G internal options. Yes, not quite the same as having a potentially unlimited supply of sd cards to swap in and out, but with... maybe something in the range of 115G available. Need more, USB OTG is available if needed. As for the battery thing. Yes, the battery might be fixed, but from everything I've read, we should expect a sizable bump in the battery's size, and between improvements in hardware efficiency, that could lead to a considerable improvement in performance. If you still need more... the market is now filled with Quick Charge capable external battery packs...

I understand that these might not be an ideal solution for many of you. But you have two options here; rage against the dying of the light, or adapt your usage and move ahead.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

How many minutes are in an 8-hour night? Is it more than 1066 minutes? Yeah no, didn't think so. I wouldn't have been able to upload my pics overnight even if I I wanted to.

I shouldn't have to get a hotel with faster wifi, just so I can upload my photos to the cloud lol. That's not my priority when looking for a hotel. How about I just get a phone with an SD card instead so I don't have to upload my photos in the first place? Seems more convenient to me.

For you it may be more convenient. I set mine to auto backup to the cloud once I am home so I really don't even have to put effort or think to upload the photos to the cloud .. It does it for me :).

In your case of 1300 photos on July 4th .. I could see why you want an SD card. Just realize that is not typical for majority of people (to take that many in 1 day). Even if I did I would still back them up elsewhere other than an SD card because I don't trust just one location for keeping photos.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

Yes and no.

Yes if it had a large capacity like 128GB. No if it's 32GB. I think 16/32GB options should not even be considered in the design. 64/128GB should be the new standard.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Yep no removable battery is a deal breaker. I have plenty of external batteries from my iPhone days, that headache now belongs to my son. I have the Note 3, if the Note 5 is indeed sealed then I'll get the Note 4

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

To those saying "NO WAY!!!!" I'll ask you this: What are you going to go to as an alternative? Yes, you can stay on your Note 3/4 for longer, but after that?

The industry is starting to move away from both SD cards and easily swappable batteries. There are several reasons why both are going extinct, but the fact remains that OEMs are still dropping them. Phones that have either (nevermind both) will get fewer and far between.

The Note 5 will most likely have 128G internal options. Yes, not quite the same as having a potentially unlimited supply of sd cards to swap in and out, but with... maybe something in the range of 115G available. Need more, USB OTG is available if needed. As for the battery thing. Yes, the battery might be fixed, but from everything I've read, we should expect a sizable bump in the battery's size, and between improvements in hardware efficiency, that could lead to a considerable improvement in performance. If you still need more... the market is now filled with Quick Charge capable external battery packs...

I understand that these might not be an ideal solution for many of you. But you have two options here; rage against the dying of the light, or adapt your usage and move ahead.

Back in the 90's there were phones with removable batteries, then they started sealing them in, then they went back to removable. And now they are sealing them again, what goes around comes around. If the people tell the manufacturers what they want by not settling then they will keep making the phones with removable batteries.

Of course if we don't have any choices then we use what we can find that we like. But I'm not gonna settle right NOW and go BACK to using external batteries. I will not buy it and make my voice heard and if enough people do it, it will work. So for now it's about trying to keep options. If enough people passed on it, Samsung would get the message. People want options.

If the manufacturers don't listen, then we will deal with that later.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
No removable battery and no expandable storage? These are reasons why I went with the note 4 in the first place. I swap out batteries at least 3 to 4 times a week...the Note 5 will have to definitely dazzle me to get rid of these options...I love my note 4!

Posted via my Note 4

Agreed, it seems I will just stick to my note 3 until it dies, then maybe a note 4. Will never but a phone without removable battery and sd.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, it seems I will just stick to my note 3 until it dies, then maybe a note 4. Will never but a phone without removable battery and sd.

This is just my opinion and best guess but I see the removable battery a thing of the past that will be gone on all phones in the near future. Now I could be completely wrong but I'm assuming many more users never use that feature than do. Not to sure what the future is on the sdcards but would assume they won't be around for ever, but longer then the removable batteries.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
This is just my opinion and best guess but I see the removable battery a thing of the past that will be gone on all phones in the near future. Now I could be completely wrong but I'm assuming many more users never use that feature than do. Not to sure what the future is on the sdcards but would assume they won't be around for ever, but longer then the removable batteries.

could be, especially for high end phones. I am just glad my note 3 is still in excellent condition (after a battery replacement) and I, hopefully, don't need to upgrade for another few years.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Surely it's normal to want to sell your phone after say, 2 years use. Who's going to want to buy a paper weight with a knackered battery?

Posted via the Android Central App

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Surely it's normal to want to sell your phone after say, 2 years use. Who's going to want to buy a paper weight with a knackered battery?

Posted via the Android Central App
The carriers will buy them back or take em on trade towards a new device. They will have the ability to change out an older battery if needed. With new technology maybe they'll last much longer then 2 years.

Also the Samsung and the other manufactures don't want their phones lasting to long. They'd rather have you buy a new one ever couple of years. So they have an incentive not to have removable battery's looking at it that way.

Last edited:

jpkerr1

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I just got one last week. Bought on Edge through Verizon. I was surprised that they said to register the sale with Samsung's Notable promo for the $200.00 rebate. Didn't think I'd qualify since Edge is paid over time. Verizon pointed out that I am ultimately paying full retail though so the promo applies. I figure if the Note 5 is really hot I can always Early Edge, pay off the Note 4 balance and get a Note 5. Probably sell the Note 4 on Swappa. seems like they hold their value pretty well. The Note 5 will have to be very enticing for me to switch to it, as I'm really liking the Note 4 (Just came from a GS4).

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I honestly don't care about micro SD as long as they have a 64gb model, I seriously doubt anyone needs more than 128gb, I have over 3000 songs, bunch of podcasts, strictly record in 4k, take loads of pictures and I have yet to hit 128gb. Secondly, the battery in this phone is supposed to be huge, and the note 4 already has incredible battery life, also with Android M, that already great battery life is going to skyrocket. I don't see why people are complaining.
Posted from my Galaxy Note 4
Because no matter what changes are made, ppl are going to complain.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

I think it comes down to pricing for me battery and micro sd not a big deal for me. This is really a question about how often you as a user like to change your phone for the newest and the greatest. If you're the type that likes to change their phones every year or 2 then these missing option is really not a huge factor. What you're getting essentially are better hardware and improved camera etc.. But if you're the type that likes to hang on to their phones for more then 3-5 yrs yes battery removal and micro sd are important so every users is different.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The carriers will buy them back or take em on trade towards a new device. They will have the ability to change out an older battery if needed. With new technology maybe they'll last much longer then 2 years.

Also the Samsung and the other manufactures don't want their phones lasting to long. They'd rather have you buy a new one ever couple of years. So they have an incentive not to have removable battery's looking at it that way.

Planned obsolescence happened once before, and it didn't turn out well for the Automakers who went down that path. Whether the Android phone makers truly have this in mind or not, all they are doing is chasing more people towards Apple. You can walk into an apple store and walk out with a new battery in an hour, for less than $80. Can't do that on a Samsung or any other phone without a swappable battery.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Another Note 4, it offers me EVERYTHING I expect from a flagship device.

So far, that would likely be my answer, but we'll see what new LG models have and whether someone steps into the breach.

To those saying "NO WAY!!!!" I'll ask you this: What are you going to go to as an alternative? Yes, you can stay on your Note 3/4 for longer, but after that?...

The Note 5 will most likely have 128G internal options. Y

a) I don't agree that no one ever will ever again offer sd cards and removable batteries. I'd bet to the contrary. As I and others have pointed out, these things do tend to go in cycles. Sticking with the Note 4 for a couple of extra years is just a stopgap.

b) The Note 5 may or may not have 128g---which means I'd have less than I have now--but it also means PAYING FOR that extra space, which traditionally has not been cheap at those sizes. And then paying for it AGAIN when you get an upgrade and another phone.And then paying for it yet again on your next upgrade, forever and ever.

On the other hand, I've already paid for my SD card. I just flip into the new phone. Free! And gives me a total of more space. Free + more. That's a pretty easy choice. :) If that's not enough, the SD card is also already set up the way I want it. It takes about 10 seconds to flip it into a new device. How long will it take to copy, say, 100gb to a Note 5? So, now the actual equation is FREE + MORE SPACE + EASIER SETUP. Boy. These SD cards are really cool. Someone should probably invent a phone that uses them.. ;)

Last edited:

dreze88

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I definitely won't be getting it with no SD Card support. I just bought a 128gb on Amazon for 60 bucks today. I'll keep my Note 4 until I get bored of it. Then I'll go with an LG G Pro 3 if all the rumors are true. F Samsung, I buy what I want/like, not what they try to force on us.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

For all of the things people complain about the Note 5, remember that there are "issues" with every phone out there. For issues, I mean what owners do not like about their phone. Their own peeves.
I would check the other threads first before jumping ship to see what issues others are complaining about. The grass isn't always greener.
Personally, I don't see how a battery in 2015 will not hold a charge over the lifespan of the device. I have a bigger problem with Samsung not increasing the size of the screen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci