Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

If it weren't for the s-pen on the Note series, it would be an easier decision as to which phone I'm going to get. I'm kind of leaning toward the 2015 Moto X or 2015 Nexus if the Note doesn't have 64gb as the base.

I've never had this year's phone. I'm tried of getting last year's phone. So those are my three choices.

Proverbs‬ *16‬:*20‬

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Those thinking of moving to the Note 5...

I'll be waiting unitl both the Note 5 and the iPhone 6s Plus to come out before deciding what i'll move to from my Note 4.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm still curious how people can just buy new phones every time they come out.

With the rumor of a non replaceable battery for the Note 5, I may just keep using my Note 3 until I can't get OTA updates anymore. My Note is 1 1/2 years old and still looks like new. No need for replacement, they cost too damn much!!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

To those saying "NO WAY!!!!" I'll ask you this: What are you going to go to as an alternative? Yes, you can stay on your Note 3/4 for longer, but after that? [...] you have two options here; rage against the dying of the light, or adapt your usage and move ahead.

If and when I feel my Note 4 is past its prime (or I just feel like upgrading, which is far more likely), I'll be shopping for a phablet that has what I want. The removable battery was one of many features that attracted me as a first-time Samsung customer to the Note 4. To get that removable battery, I accepted compromises like TouchWiz and slow OS updates. These were uncomfortable compromises. But I accepted them because the Note 4 solved a serious problem I had with my Motorola phones - I got sick of carrying around a stupid battery pack to get a day of usage out of the darned things.

If the Note 5 battery ends up being sealed, it significantly lowers the chances that I will buy one. If I have to carry around a battery pack within 6 months anyway, I'd rather have a phone with a more recent and less bloated Android version.

If enough people rage against the dying of the light, then the light might be rekindled eventually. Maybe not by Samsung, but by someone.

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I've had my Note 4 since January. I've never changed the SD card. I've never swapped the battery, but I know batteries don't last forever. As long as it's not too expensive to have a battery replaced at a shop, I don't care if it's a sealed battery.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Well I landed this AM from a long redeye flight. My Note 4 was at 6%. As we taxied, I swapped the battery for a fresh one, 100% in a matter of seconds.

I do have a charging pack in my bag, but it was in the overhead. Didn't feel like fishing it out and tethering during the flight. Cumbersome at best.

Putting the new fresh charged battery in and going about my day is so nice.

So, SD card gone? Ok. 128gig model I guess. Removable battery gone? Gives me serious pause.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

To those saying "NO WAY!!!!" I'll ask you this: What are you going to go to as an alternative? Yes, you can stay on your Note 3/4 for longer, but after that?

The industry is starting to move away from both SD cards and easily swappable batteries. There are several reasons why both are going extinct, but the fact remains that OEMs are still dropping them. Phones that have either (nevermind both) will get fewer and far between.

The Note 5 will most likely have 128G internal options. Yes, not quite the same as having a potentially unlimited supply of sd cards to swap in and out, but with... maybe something in the range of 115G available. Need more, USB OTG is available if needed. As for the battery thing. Yes, the battery might be fixed, but from everything I've read, we should expect a sizable bump in the battery's size, and between improvements in hardware efficiency, that could lead to a considerable improvement in performance. If you still need more... the market is now filled with Quick Charge capable external battery packs...

I understand that these might not be an ideal solution for many of you. But you have two options here; rage against the dying of the light, or adapt your usage and move ahead.

You are wrong!
The LG G4 still have both.
HTC took them away with the M7 but they returned the SD slot on M8 and M9
samsung want to cut price and make slimmer phones which is a huge error because not only specs are lost but some faults are appearing like the board traces under the screen (S6).
They want to make a copy/paste of iphone too which is NOT a good example, in this logic they will ask: why not take away the BT module as it takes place in the phone?
Closed shell phones a la S6 and M9 are not a good choice as if you have to fix any hardware problem and your warranty is finished you will pay half the price of a new phone!!

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Have the Note 4, love it. With the new devic es coming out with 128+ gb of built in storage and the ability to still use sd cards with plug in options, along with tons of cloud storage available the ext sd card won't break the deal for me. The battery issue is something they need to address. Put a beast of a battery in the damn phone and quit playing games, then the Note 5 will be another beast of a phone with the most powerful tool built in, The S-Pen. I have additional batteries and charger with my Note 4, love that feature, I would easily forget about that with a beast of a built in battery.
PS, Will always keep my Note 4. Have the SGS6 with 128gb of storage and love it. As I said, will always keep my Note 4.

cderrick14

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Can't say I am bothered by proposed lack of SD card and user replaceable battery. I do understand everyones concerns, but I feel the other features this phone is rumoured to have will still make it a compelling offering.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Having used Nexus phones for the past 5 years I haven't cared about replaceable batteries or SD cards in a long time. Which is why the S6 was a fine replacement for me.

I'm also on Sprint, so backing up to the cloud doesn't cost me a cent more. Unlimited that is, ya know, unlimited

I would also point out that forum users are a very specialized and very tiny minority of the overall smartphone user space. Most people may buy an extra battery and never take the time to figure out how to swap them out. I've seen that myself with my friends.

The trend might circle back around, but I would not bet on it. I'm betting Google and Apple will push the carriers to unlimited plans before either started making or recommending SD cards in their phones.

Okeagle

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

Your post is the best one on this subject. The thing I might add is really a question to you guys that know so much more than me about this stuff. The question I have is whether it is important to be able to pull the battery out to truly shut down the phone? I sometimes take the battery out of my Note 4 to clear out the memory. Does a simple restart without taking out the battery accomplish the same thing?

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

It's not just the sealed battery, but the fact that it's so small. It should be 3500, if not 4500 mAh, imho.

Manoy

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site

If they added things like a camera that was as good or better than the S6 and maybe brought back waterproofing, that may sway me to accept the memory card and battery. I would have to buy a battery extender case or charger, but I already have storage with google and keep my pics and vids synced up, so not too big a deal there.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

The note will be my first and last Samsung of that's the case. I'll end up checking out the Nexus line of phones. Why would I want to deal with touchwiz if we lose the 2 things that made it worth dealing with.

I suggest you check out the LG G4 (and successors). The Nexus line also has sealed battery and no SD option.

Posted via the Android Central App

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

A lack of expandable storage and removable battery would definitely be a turn off for me. As some wise man said around here not too long ago, people like choices; whether we're going to be pulling our batteries or using the memory slot or not, it's important for users to at least have the option exist.

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

No SD Card is a deal breaker for me, it's the main reason I did not like the S6 and going forward I'm going to assume major flagship phones from Samsung are going to not include an SD card slot... I was a big Samsung supporter... up til the S6..

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I've had my Note 4 since January. I've never changed the SD card. I've never swapped the battery, but I know batteries don't last forever. As long as it's not too expensive to have a battery replaced at a shop, I don't care if it's a sealed battery.

What's easier, taking your phone to a shop to have a battery replaced (if you can find a capable shop) or simply popping in a new battery yourself?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Well I landed this AM from a long redeye flight. My Note 4 was at 6%. As we taxied, I swapped the battery for a fresh one, 100% in a matter of seconds.

I do have a charging pack in my bag, but it was in the overhead. Didn't feel like fishing it out and tethering during the flight. Cumbersome at best.

Putting the new fresh charged battery in and going about my day is so nice.

So, SD card gone? Ok. 128gig model I guess. Removable battery gone? Gives me serious pause.

But how much are you willing to fork over for the extra storage that you can't take with you when you swap out to the next phone?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

For all of the things people complain about the Note 5, remember that there are "issues" with every phone out there. For issues, I mean what owners do not like about their phone. Their own peeves.
I would check the other threads first before jumping ship to see what issues others are complaining about. The grass isn't always greener.
Personally, I don't see how a battery in 2015 will not hold a charge over the lifespan of the device. I have a bigger problem with Samsung not increasing the size of the screen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Not having a replacement battery or SD options are not just issues. These are main features.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Having used Nexus phones for the past 5 years I haven't cared about replaceable batteries or SD cards in a long time. Which is why the S6 was a fine replacement for me.

I'm also on Sprint, so backing up to the cloud doesn't cost me a cent more. Unlimited that is, ya know, unlimited

I would also point out that forum users are a very specialized and very tiny minority of the overall smartphone user space. Most people may buy an extra battery and never take the time to figure out how to swap them out. I've seen that myself with my friends.

The trend might circle back around, but I would not bet on it. I'm betting Google and Apple will push the carriers to unlimited plans before either started making or recommending SD cards in their phones.

If someone truly doesn't know how to swap out a battery, they're dumber than a pile of rocks and shouldn't be allowed to own a smartphone in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon