Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Those thinking of moving to the Note 5...

Here's what I'm finding/hearing/reading out regarding sealed phones such as the SGS6/SGS6E. That when it gets wet or dropped into water, they're experiencing some problems with the battery/charging/overheating. While that may be limited in number, but that certainly would be an issue if there's no means to remove the battery as soon as it gets wet? Not that I myself be wanting to get my phone wet, but I do live and work in the PNW (The Emerald City).

To seal or not to seal? That remains to be seen. :cool:

DRAZY

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

The debate over whether a device has a removal battery or an microSD slot always amuses me. Before I bought my Note 4 last December I owned a 32GB HTC M8. Although it has an microSD slot I didn't find any gripes with the battery not being removable. For as long as I can remember, I've never seen a large swath of cases where people experienced batteries not operating properly after extended use and battery technology has gotten a lot better since the first mobile devices showed up.

This issue with expandable memory, sure that could be arguably, but why? Why all the fuss all of the time? I hate to state the obvious but Apple hasn't had non-removable batteries or SD expansion since the iPhone dropped in 2007. Their fanbase seems to be doing just fine. The point I'm making is you always have the option of buying a device with ample storage. If 32 isn't enough buy 64. If 64 isn't enough but whatever is next. I have 96GB of storage on my Note 4 (32GB internal + 64 microSD) and I'm no where near filling up the space. As a matter of fact, I'll probably be replacing it with a 64 or 128GB Note 5 here soon. In my opinion it's really not an issue. The phone probably sheds some size by eliminating the need to have a removable battery and microSD slot.

Everyone, just take a breath and calm down. This is probably the going trend for most (if not all) flagship devices in the very near future.

Have a great day!

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm not all that worried about the SD card, but I would really like to have the option of a removable battery, not just to keep my phone powered up, but also for the rare times when I have an issue and need to do a battery pull.

That was one of the only frustrations I had with my previous phone, a Nokia Lumia Windows phone. I really hope they don't do away with that option!

Posted via the Android Central App on my Note 4

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Tbut Apple hasn't had non-removable batteries or SD expansion since the iPhone dropped in 2007.!

That's pretty funny in a way. Apple pretty much had the market locked up, until its intransigence on 3 things: screen size, sd cards, removable batteries--allowed Samsung and Android to differentiate itself. Since then, it's been a dogfight and in many markets Apple is losing.

I'm glad these features are not important to you. Everyone has their own needs on high end devices. It is nice you have more flexibility than I do. Because they are not important to you, however, does not mean they are irrelevant to everyone; not everyone may have the same needs.

BTW, the last time I was traveling with an iPhone user on a business trip, it was pretty funny the way that phone kept dying while I just popped in new batteries and saved the day. The reasons why I like these features are not theoretical fantasies. I use them regularly and I've used them in important situations.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I hate to state the obvious but Apple hasn't had non-removable batteries or SD expansion since the iPhone dropped in 2007. Their fanbase seems to be doing just fine.
Well, one can argue Apple may have lost a lot of their customers to Android because of their non-removable batteries, no sd expansion, small display, lack of customization, and mainly more expensive price. Samsung's Note 4 is a masterpiece, even with a removable back and sd card expansion, and larger display and battery, somehow it is the same size, if not a bit smaller than the IPhone 6+. IMO, Samsung should have marketed the sd card and removable battery option...somehow mainstream consumers have yet to see the benefit. Instead they are brainwashed to think plastic is inferior. Apple's marketing is pure genius.

Last edited:

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

while both are nice to have but none are deal breakers to me based on how I use my phone. Quick charging and battery pack will help on those long day and trip and I am never too far from a power source or without my battery pack. SD card is nice to have but I back everything up multiple cloud storage regardless, so I am fine without it. However if the default battery life is not great, that would be a deal breaker for me.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Well, one can argue Apple may have lost a lot of their customers to Android because of their non-removable batteries, sd expansion, small display, lack of customization, and mainly cheaper price. Samsung's Note 4 is a masterpiece, even with a removable back and sd card expansion, and larger display, somehow it is the same size, if not a bit smaller than the IPhone 6+. IMO, Samsung should have marketed the sd card and removable battery options...somehow mainstream consumers have yet to see the benefit. Instead they are brainwashed to think plastic is inferior. Apple's marketing is pure genius.
mainstream consumer wants a device they can just pick up and use, the SD card, swapping battery, changing launcher, rooting your phone are all just us and we are not mainstream consumer. However most of us are the consumers that only buys flagship devices, but we are still just a small percentage.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

mainstream consumer wants a device they can just pick up and use, the SD card, swapping battery, changing launcher, rooting your phone are all just us and we are not mainstream consumer. However most of us are the consumers that only buys flagship devices, but we are still just a small percentage.
IMO, sd card and removable battery should be marketed as easy features to mainstream consumers, changing launcher and rooting not so much. Samsung dropped the ball on this one.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I thought losing the external SD slot and removable battery would be a deal breaker for me, until I got the S6 edge for work. I love that phone, and if it was 5.7 inches and had an S-pen then I would ditch the note 4 altogether. I can't wait to see what they do to the note 5, I'm sure it will be all around better than the note 4.

work:G.S.6 edge play: G.S. Note 4
Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Galaxy Gear S & Gear 1 (tizen)
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Galaxy Gear Circle & Level speaker box

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

What's easier, taking your phone to a shop to have a battery replaced (if you can find a capable shop) or simply popping in a new battery yourself?

Posted via the Android Central App

Popping in a new one, yourself, of course. But it's not a big deal to me. I consider it a small trade-off if the phone is good enough.

If it was such a big deal, the iPhone wouldn't be as successful as it is. Apparently there are a lot of other people who don't think it's such a big deal.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Popping in a new one, yourself, of course. But it's not a big deal to me. I consider it a small trade-off if the phone is good enough.

If it was such a big deal, the iPhone wouldn't be as successful as it is. Apparently there are a lot of other people who don't think it's such a big deal.
I'll only say that you should compare the number of people switching to Android from IOS.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Maybe because many mainstream consumers don't know any better? An Apple friend of mine is in the market recently for a new phone. When I showed him the ability to renew a 100% fully charged battery within 1 minute with my Note 4, he was shocked.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Personally, for me a non-replaceable battery and no microSD card slot will not be a deterrent. I have a Note 4 now with a 128 Gbyte card that is not even half full with about 50 audiobooks and podcasts, 20-30 Great Courses series (audio-only), a couple of HD films and a smattering of photos (which I always backup to the cloud). Give me a Note 5 with 160 Gbytes of built-in storage and a 4100 mAh battery and I will be more than fine.

However, I asked this question in a thread about a week ago and I must confess that a fair amount of people really were using a second battery. So I can see why it would be a deal-breaker for some.

Me, personally, the possible deal-breaker for me will be a lack of a USB-C port. Although rarely seen and used now (except by new Apple devices), the much greater speed and power capacity of USB-C is definitely a benefit. Without it, the Note 5 will not be much "future-proof" (that is, if you can call any cell phone these days "future-proof). If the Note 5 does not have USB-C, then I think I'll skip it and wait for the Note 6 or whatever else strikes my fancy in a year or so.

Noface

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: If this is 100% accurate, it will have removable battery /storage

I'm becoming more and more concerned the Note 4 may be my last Samsung product. They keep taking great features and making them more complicated/complex to use.

Instead of changing things that work fine let's fix he bugs that have been around for years. Intermittent notifications while in call, camera delay. Let's make the device more customizable out of the box.

If they want to change the S Pen let's add an actual ink pen to it. How many times have you needed a pen didn't have one but had your phone?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Totally agree!

Mark Lipschitz

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

Who really wants to have to transfer their music collection from phone to phone? How does the cloud work for you when you are laying out on the beach or in a foreign country? As a productivity device I also save important documents that I need to work on I would like to pop the SD card out and put it in my computer later. No SD totally castrates the Note.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

The sdcard kills it for me; even with newer "better" options that are not removable. Google cripples sdcards mostly but if it is there at least I can see files. Isn't there a Chinese phone coming out with a stylus? Even if not as good a stylus we are talking damage control here.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

No removable battery and SD card will be a dealkiller for me. I put the blame on all of the tech writers/pundits with a herd mentality of complaining about supposedly poor build quality just because the removable back is plastic. I don't want a fragile and heavier glass back on my phone! The Note 4 has an elegant build, and the plastic used for the highly functional, removable back, is just fine and dandy with me. I'll take function and the Note 4's good looks over an idiotic obsession with glass and metal materials.

MalinoisK9

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I suggest you check out the LG G4 (and successors). The Nexus line also has sealed battery and no SD option.

Posted via the Android Central App

Well aware of both your points but it comes down to touchwiz. Touchwiz is only worth dealing with for the advantages of removable battery an expandable storage. If I loose that why deal with this heavy laggy skin when I can go to andriod as it was meant to be and be on the latest version of Andriod when it's released.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

No removable battery and SD card will be a dealkiller for me. I put the blame on all of the tech writers/pundits with a herd mentality of complaining about supposedly poor build quality just because the removable back is plastic. I don't want a fragile and heavier glass back on my phone! The Note 4 has an elegant build, and the plastic used for the highly functional, removable back, is just fine and dandy with me. I'll take function and the Note 4's good looks over an idiotic obsession with glass and metal materials.

Exactly. How is a glass back premium quality? Most iPhones I see have a cracked glass back.

Talne

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

No sim card and a non removable battery means nothing to me, I'll certainly buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835