Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will you upgrade to Note 5 if it doesn't have SD slot?

I think he meant more on the lines of why go to Apple if you want those things when there are other Android manufactures (other than just Samsung) who have those things (SD card / removable battery).

I also disagree with it being a "much slicker, smoother" experience. I used an iPhone 6+ for a few months and now I am using an LG G4 .. I never once have said "I wish my G4 was as fast as my iPhone 6+". Both are smooth / great phones.

Ok, valid point. I'll take that on board. I'm going on hearsay as I haven't directly used an iPhone before.

My point is, I would previously have ruled out the likes of HTC because they don't have removable batteries but now that Samsung have levelled the playing field I would be inclined to look at these other phones now. I know the G4 still has removables but I'm talking about a "doomsday" scenario where none of the manufacturers have removable batteries. I'm not going to stay loyal to Samsung just because I have for years when they remove their differentiating features. I'll regard them all equal then on a hardware level and it's up to the software experience and other features to woo me. I don't think Touchwiz was ever regarded as a cutting edge software experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Those thinking of moving to the Note 5...

I have unlimited data so the SD card does not bother me. But I usually have to change my battery ain the 6 month to 9 month range because it stops holding a good charge. I could live without the SD and could probably go without the s pen, tho that would be tough at times but I think I would go nexus if there was no removable battery. I don't think the s pen would be enough to make me stay with Samsung.

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me the real benefit of an SD card?

I used to have the largest and best in all of my phones. Currently I have one in my s5. However I am feeling the need for it to be vanishing.

I currently have all my pictures, music, and business files in the cloud and no longer need SD card storage space.

Honest question. For those angry if they do remove SD card storage what is the main reason?

Thanks.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone commented on or seen the specs of the HTC M9+ blogged (?) by Alex yesterday. I just browsed it on my pc.

"Expandable : micro SD TM expansion supports additional memory cards up to 2TB (optional cards not included) "

Did I wake up today and skip a year or go back a year? I thought sd cards were on the way out, and the current maximum is - what? 200 or 512 gig.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m9-plus-specs

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Sd cards aren't in their way out it's just that Samsung has decided for whatever reason that planned insoles obsolesence would be a good thing,, which it obviously isn't at all. If all things are equal between samsung and apple i would buy the IPhone because of the better service and just jailbreak it.

For me a removable battery is a must it extends my battery life to almost 3 days and an sd card gives me the freedom to have a very clean setup apps on the internal storage and movies, pictures and music on the sd card(s).

The Note line should be a productivity first device, not a toy I mean samsung already has a form function phone with the S line, don't downgrade the Note line up.. Anyhow it is their decision LG could be the bug winner in all of this.

So glad that my Note 4 is still in great condition going to keep it for at least 3 years and hopefully samsung has come to their senses by then. Btw if Samsung really wants to change something why not go the Active route and implement 3 physical buttons would be so much better than having a only the home button as a physical one.

Last edited:

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

I don't really see the issue. With the Note 2,3, and 4 I have never swapped the battery out as it is a pain- remove case, pry back off, shut down phone, replace battery, power up, replace back, replace case. In the event I needed more power for the day (not often for me) I would top up with the Quick Charge 2.0 charger - 10 min of charge would get me well into the night/next day. If the Note 5 comes in at 4000+mAh then even topping up is a non-issue.

Now, for people who keep their phones for longer than 2-2.5 years I can see that not being able to REPLACE a battery that is nearing the end of its life could be a pain. I am not sure if there will be an Apple like option to send your phone it and have a new battery installed or not.

For the SD card, this could be more of a challenge if a reasonably priced 64GB option is not available. But, if they release the base phone at 64GB then, again, all is well. Combined with the MUCH faster storage access of internal memory this could come out to be a net gain for the phone.

Will the removable battery and no micro sd card kill it for you? It will for me. Guess we will find out a month from now..

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

With the Note 2,3, and 4 I have never swapped the battery out as it is a pain- remove case, pry back off, shut down phone, replace battery, power up, replace back, replace case.
Swapping the battery is not like lifting weights, easy breezy in all of 30 seconds vs 10+ minutes.
In the event I needed more power for the day (not often for me) I would top up with the Quick Charge 2.0 charger - 10 min of charge would get me well into the night/next day.
Quick Charge still requires you to be tethered, plus batteries tend to wear out overtime. Until we drastically improve battery technology, swapple battery is still the most efficient way to go. Quick Charge, Ultra Saving Power, and battery pack are just temporary band aid solutions for the Note series and power users like me.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I actually thought a an SD "TM" card might be a newer, faster development of the micro sd card to be compatible with the newer wotsit internal memory, but it was just the way the article was typed, Trade Marking every thing.

Wishful thinking, lol.

Still they must either know of 2Tb cards in the works, or they are just saying the device could manage that size if they ever became available.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Change is hard for humans. But change is also inevitable. Adapt or perish. Got love Darwinism :p

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

No SD Card means I'll be moving back to the iPhone. Guess I'll try the iPhone 6+.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I was "informed" about 4 months ago on a tv gadget show that new and next generation battery technology exists in the form of graphene, which can be bendable and used for motherboard's and screens also to make a foldable / rollable device.

It may be just a question of (this is my own guesswork) the possible enormous cost of re-tooling, re-training, change of suppliers, material manufacture in enormous quantities etc.
Apparently graphene is ideal to replace portable batteries.

Watch this space. (for some years)

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I was "informed" about 4 months ago on a tv gadget show that new and next generation battery technology exists in the form of graphene, which can be bendable and used for motherboard's and screens also to make a foldable / rollable device.

It may be just a question of (this is my own guesswork) the possible enormous cost of re-tooling, re-training, change of suppliers, material manufacture in enormous quantities etc.
Apparently graphene is ideal to replace portable batteries.

Watch this space. (for some years)
I have been following this breakthrough of graphene from Samsung since last year, and it seems we won't see it in their smarphones for another 5 years, so for the time being I will still opt for replaceable batteries.

Beh. I don't mind change, just that not all changes are good. Samsung added the waterproof/water resistant feature in the S5, but did most consumers care for it?

As for the replaceable battery vs quick charge, how is that change good?

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Honestly why cant we really have both?.

Space. Without a removable back, they would have to stuff an SD card slot somewhere on the frame. With the presence of the S-Pen, that cuts out one side as an option. So you need a headphone jack, USB/charge port, volume and power button, SIM slot, ir blaster, one or two mics...

You start to run out of real estate really fast. And another hole on the frame leads to strength issues.

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Yes. I bought the Note 2,3 and currently 4 because it's always had removable battery and ExtSD card. Now I'm not so sure I'll get a Note 5 if they remove this. I don't think it's going to be an "upgrade" as much as a downgrade. Yes, it might be faster and have a better screen and more ram so it could be my next device but I REALLY wish they'd leave these two features on their flagship device. I definitely won't rush out and get one like I did with my Note 4 because I'm going to wait and see what else happens in the market. I REALLY wish HTC M (10?) would maybe take note and adhere some of these things. Ive always like HTC One and at the time the M7 was awesome with kick *** screen and audio quality (stereo speakers) but the screen size I'm used to would have to be intact. The failes with the "Max" so maybe they'll bring it back with some of these notes taken from Sammy HTC "Max 2" (?)

I dunno, it just sucks for me, I use the ExtSD all the time for backing up and feel it's crucial for people who store tons of movie, music and rom backups

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Space. Without a removable back, they would have to stuff an SD card slot somewhere on the frame. With the presence of the S-Pen, that cuts out one side as an option. So you need a headphone jack, USB/charge port, volume and power button, SIM slot, ir blaster, one or two mics...

You start to run out of real estate really fast. And another hole on the frame leads to strength issues.
As I said in another post, the Note 4 is still smaller overall, if not the same size as the IPhone 6+, with the Spen, sd card, removable back, and bigger display.

For me, Samsung's strategy is misguided. There was nothing wrong with the S5 and Note 4, it's just that Apple finally became less stubborn and see the benefit of making larger display phones. At the end of the day, it wasn't about Samsung's plastic phones (they have along made plastic phones that were mega hits), it was about Apple's bigger screen display of the IPhone 6 and IPhone 6+. If Samsung was smart, they should make 2 variants of the S6 and Note 5: one plastic, the other metal/glass. Of all the makers, they have the clout and resources. This is just my observation of course.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

After just having lost 7 years of memories on my SD card to a water damaged note edge, I've come to the realization that cloud storage is definitely the way to go. Just downloaded dropbox on my new note 4 and don't even think I'll buy another sd card. For those of you who feel I should've backed up all my pictures and videos you're absolutely right; I just never thought the damn thing could get ruined after so long. LESSON LEARNED!

Well, SD cards are not perfect, but water damage can ruin the phone itself, too. All important stuff should just be backed up, whether kept on an SD card or the phone. Phones (and SD cards) can die for other reasons besides water, too. Or, be stolen. This is hardly the SD card's fault. It's real easy to do "automatic" cloud backups these days. You can do it with programs like Lookout, or Facebook and G+ will do it for you, too. Just turn settings for auto upload to "ON" and that's about all you have to do.

For me, Samsung's strategy is misguided. There was nothing wrong with the S5 and Note 4, it's just that Apple finally became less stubborn and see the benefit of making larger display phones.

Somewhere in this thread, someone asked what we were going to do if no one had SD cards and removable batteries any more. While I continue to believe that won't actually happen, that someone will choose to swim upstream, if it in fact happens it's worth pointing out to Samsung that they just made Apple a viable choice for those of us who wouldn't consider Apple before. Now, there's an unintended consequence. ;)

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

No SD Card means I'll be moving back to the iPhone. Guess I'll try the iPhone 6+.

Why?
I'm curious as to what is better about an iPhone than any android phone? The note 5 is going to be beautiful and work so well. I just don't understand why so many people are saying I am going to go to the iPhone if the note 5 doesn't have a removable battery or SD card. If they both don't then stay with the note 5. I

Status
Not open for further replies.