Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Those thinking of moving to the Note 5...

I don't really see the issue. With the Note 2,3, and 4 I have never swapped the battery out as it is a pain- remove case, pry back off, shut down phone, replace battery, power up, replace back, replace case. .

Power down: less than 15 seconds
Case off, back off, battery replaced, and case and back put back on--about 15 seconds (actually, may've been 14--just timed it)
Boot up is the slowest--takes me about 30 seconds to get to lock screen

Total: just a bit over 1 minute. I would agree some cases are particularly cumbersome. Don't know what you're using. But 1 minute. Sure is faster than sitting with a charger waiting for a reasonable amount of juice to accrue, especially if you need to be on the move.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

LG makes good phones with removable batteries and SD cards.

Hi mate,

I understand that, and I probably would try LG if I was in the market for an upgrade. I have a Note 4 though so I won't be for a while. I'm just talking about doomsday when there's no removable batteries available.

Posted via the Android Central App

jdobson@t-d-w.com

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
You need to look first at the Galaxy Note Edge. It is the Edge version of the Note 4. It is still the finest phone ever! The screen is everything you saw in the note 4 plus the "working" edge that does a lot of things the 6 Edge only wishes it could do. It also has removable battery and memory!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Hi mate,

I understand that, and I probably would try LG if I was in the market for an upgrade. I have a Note 4 though so I won't be for a while. I'm just talking about doomsday when there's no removable batteries available.

OK. Makes more sense

Jared Walker

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Deal breaker! I use my Galaxy Note 4 heavily through out the day. After 6 hours of solid use (games, Spotify, Web browsing, and bluetooth) , I have to either charge the phone (50% in 30 minutes) or swap out the battery with a spare (100% in < 2 minutes). I also bought an extended battery with twice the capacity for GPS based gaming such as Ingress and Geocaching. It would be a huge let down if Samsung sealed the backs of their devices. I would very likely switch to the LG known for it's camera despite their dim screens.

SmogHog

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Samsung can call any phone they want a Note 5 but to everyone else on the planet a Note is a phone with special features and hardware that was present in the Note line since the first Note release.

Without the special Note features it's just another over priced Samsung phone.

It doesn't matter which features YOU use or don't use;they all need to be present to make it a Note.

Is the S6 worthy of being in the S class or not?

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Deal breaker! I use my Galaxy Note 4 heavily through out the day. After 6 hours of solid use (games, Spotify, Web browsing, and bluetooth) , I have to either charge the phone (50% in 30 minutes) or swap out the battery with a spare (100% in < 2 minutes). I also bought an extended battery with twice the capacity for GPS based gaming such as Ingress and Geocaching. It would be a huge let down if Samsung sealed the backs of their devices. I would very likely switch to the LG known for it's camera despite their dim screens.

If LG keeps up with the removable battery on their upcoming flagships, we always said that Sammy would never remove the removable battery on the Note line and here we are.

Anyhow, nothing has been confirmed but rumors/supposed leak so let's play the waiting game and see fi it's true. After all Samsung knows their Note line fans.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think in the minds of Samsung a Note series is a large hi res screen device with a unique wacom Pen and innovative note creating and merging software features, that they will improve on in their eyes every year.

The fact that removable batteries and sd card expansion were flavour of the month since the Note 2, (how many bought the original Note), but now not so much, doesn't mean the Note 5 is not a further advance in the Note line - in their eyes.

The fact that you and I may turn away from it because of the lack of those features this year, but may accept it on the Note 6 as inevitable, with further new local storage options emerging possibly by then, doesn't mean Samsung haven't fulfilled their commitment to the Note series in their eyes.

When has anyone heard from a Samsung spokesperson?

pinetreehater

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thing that gets me is that if a phone has a sealed battery, it is useless after a period of time. I like to use my old phones as GPS units in my car (Tasker and WiFi hotspot). It'd really suck if Samsung ditches the removable battery.

The SD card is another matter. While I would prefer one, I could live without it.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No SD card might be a deal breaker with me, I think I can live with a sealed in battery - especially with a speedy recharge. But I keep a lot of stuff, on mulitple SD cards. Hmmm... I don't forsee myself switching to another phone because I use the S-Pen a lot. However, I would wait to see if the Note 6 brought the SD card feature back, assuming that it won't be in the Note V.

Dcolon13

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I consider myself a power user in the sense that I use the Note 4 as a phone, browser, media player, calendar,a, camera, sketchbook, and notebook on a daily basis. A battery rarely lasts me a day through all that and even though the Quick charger is amazing, it wasn't until I first tried a removable battery that I decided I'd never go back to an iPhone. If Samsung removes that feature in the next version, I'll either stick with the 4 or try the Edge.
I'll add that I sometimes work on marketing for Samsung andand have grown increasingly frustrated at how stubbornly they continue to copy Apple instead of differentiating themselves. Who knows, maybe I'll try a Xaomi next.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I only keep my phone for up to a year. A sealed battery I can live with. Lack of a SD card will sadden me.

Sent from Elegance

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I only keep my phone for up to a year. A sealed battery I can live with. Lack of a SD card will sadden me.

Sent from Elegance
I generally keep my phone for 6-8 months before I sell it. I may keep my current Note 4 though, and still buy the Note 5. Lack of a sd card I can live with when I can get a 128gb. As a power user, a sealed battery will sadden me.

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
All the nice rumored specs that, it appears, will not exist (USB-C, 5.94" screen) are just very disappointing.
It does open up a world of alternative phones. Op2, etc.
I'm not married to samsung, I dumped apple after one iPhone. There are a few features only available on android. So android is where I'm staying.

Breeze7c

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
The removable storage feature is important me so as to take videos of family or working equipment. Both get stored on the home computer and later burned onto a blu ray. That all takes time so cheep storage like a couple of 128g micro SD cards I carry with me.
As far as battery life is the discussion about how long it last per charge or the durability of said battery after a year of heavy usage. Battery are cheep and small charge up 4 and go hit the road. Don't have to stand around a charging station at an airport or while you are packed in away from civilization for days at a time taking pictures away from camp. Last but not least useful feature is when the software crashes all and the buttons don't respond and you computer is not available just do a hard boot, pull the battery.
Saw a picture today of the new Note5 with its curved back and noticed that the rear cover was not glass , possible removable back? One can only hope. We shall see soon enough

Paravoz

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
The removable storage feature is important me so as to take videos of family or working equipment. Both get stored on the home computer and later burned onto a blu ray. That all takes time so cheep storage like a couple of 128g micro SD cards I carry with me.
As far as battery life is the discussion about how long it last per charge or the durability of said battery after a year of heavy usage. Battery are cheep and small charge up 4 and go hit the road. Don't have to stand around a charging station at an airport or while you are packed in away from civilization for days at a time taking pictures away from camp. Last but not least useful feature is when the software crashes all and the buttons don't respond and you computer is not available just do a hard boot, pull the battery.
Saw a picture today of the new Note5 with its curved back and noticed that the rear cover was not glass , possible removable back? One can only hope. We shall see soon enough

Can you post the picture here or the link to it?

Breeze7c

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Chris Burns wrote the artical. Can't find the other article that showed a textured back

Attachments

• backside.jpg
    backside.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt