Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there a forum or thread where people are discussing note 5 alternatives? That moto x pure thing is 5.7" I've read it does and doesn't have microSD, AND it's half the price of the note 5... even cheaper than the note 4.
You get what you pay for, but it appears it's a bump up from my note 3. Op2 has no microSD, but has the USB-C and is a better cpu than the moto.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

Many leak photos show a phone that looks like a bigger GS6.
So it might not have a removable battery or SD card.
Will you still get it?
No.

Reasons here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-removable-battery-storage-5.html#post4579579

The Note 5 will likely be a fine device for folks that do not care about additional storage, or the likely near four digit price point of the 128gb model. Doing the math in that regard, the Note 4 with 128gb micro sd would be closer to $200 cheaper. Factor that with 32gb more storage and swappable battery, the Note 4 appears a more compelling and practical case for a lot of folks..... .

Exactly so. If anything, your post understates the situation, because you do get to keep the card forever and use it on your next upgrade, and again, and again. If you're going to buy a $1k phone, you're also going to keep buying that extra space every time you upgrade.

I'm sure everyone who said I'm not getting it because..... will.

via the Android Central App With S6 Edge

You should read that thread I hyperlinked above. Take a look at the details cited by "no way" posters. This isn't posturing. For one thing, a Note 5 is a pretty hard sell for a Note 4 user anyway. The "4" is a great phone and easily has lots of life left. I needed a really good reason to get a "5." Instead, it appears I'm getting a really good reason to leave Samsung and start looking at other vendors when next I upgrade.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

I wonder what will most of yall do if in the future all phones from this point on removed the SD card and removable battery... Would yall never upgrade?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there a forum or thread where people are discussing note 5 alternatives? That moto x pure thing is 5.7" I've read it does and doesn't have microSD, AND it's half the price of the note 5... even cheaper than the note 4.
You get what you pay for, but it appears it's a bump up from my note 3. Op2 has no microSD, but has the USB-C and is a better cpu than the moto.

The Moto X does have an SD card, is 5.7, and starts at 400 dollars with a price bump of 50 per storage bump. The storage is 16/32/64.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I wonder what will most of yall do if in the future all phones from this point on removed the SD card and removable battery... Would yall never upgrade?

Everyone would adapt and forget about SD cards except in their fond memories. At least that's what I think.

from the Elegance

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I would be holding on to my GNOTE4 like some people hold on to the flip phone!

Sent from my GNOTE4 using Tapatalk

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

I would buy the Note 5 if I wasn't looking at the new Moto X Pure Edition, I can get 64GB and microSD which is fine. But I like the Note and the fingerprint sensor. But, I don't want to drop $1k out of pocket on a phone when I can spend a lot less.

I'm in the same boat, I was seriously considering the Note 5 even with flaws like a lack of removable battery and lack of sd card support. BUT the moto X pure announcement really has me thinking. The processor looks just a tad weaker than what we will get with the note 5, 3gb ram on near-stock android is probably similar to 4gb ram running touchwiz.

My only hang up about the pure is the lack of wireless charging and the small battery. If the note battery is big enough or if there is another surprise I may still get the note 5, but if the note 5 battery is closer to 3000 mah than 4000 mah, the pure is going to be very tempting at its price point.

If they were just a few hundred different I might not be thinking like I am but I think its safe to say that the Note 5 will cost almost double the price of the Pure.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Like I once said, if they wanted to go this route, they should compensate by having more storage and a larger battery.

The S6 got the former right by going with 32GB base instead of 16GB, but they made a pretty stupid decision to make the battery smaller at 2550/2600mAh while pairing it with a 1440p display for the sake of a thinner design.

If the Note 5 has 64GB base and a battery that's 3600mAh (or even 4100mAh) in size, then I'm fine, but that said, SD card support would be a nice bonus, since you can never have too much storage. 128GB on my G4 and counting. ^_^

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

This was asked in another thread. At this point, there are about 4 very similar threads going on and I forget which is which. ;) First, I completely disagree with the concept that no one will satisfy my needs. There are alternatives at the moment. Competition dictates that there will be more in the future. Someone will do it for the same reasons Samsung did: to differentiate themselves in a crowded market. These things run in cycles. I don't believe it's a lost cause.

Second, for stopgaps, in case it gets bad for a year or two--I can just keep my "4." It's not exactly obsolete. In fact, there are fewer and fewer reasons to do a quick upgrade these days. I will be able to buy a new one off of Ebay for years, too, if it becomes defective. I could adjust to the battery issue if I had to, but it's going to take an awful lot to make me give up SD cards. I will go down kicking and screaming. If that means not upgrading for some years or switching to LG or whatever, so be it.

Maybe one day data won't be an issue, streaming will work perfectly everywhere, internal HDDs on phones will be 256gb and cost $10, and I won't care. That day is not today.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

My original thoughts were, "no replaceable battery AND no microSD option...no deal." But, with the revelation that there will be a microSD option and the sealed battery should be enough to get a moderately heavy user through the day, I'll probably do the upgrade. However, I'm still not buying into the glass back. It'll add weight to any already large phone. The current back of the Note 4 is thin plastic, yet it's durable and doesn't add weight. That would have been fine with me for the Note 5. That said, looks like I'll do the upgrade...especially since my Gear S will only work with Samsung devices. And I do love my Gear S.

Madscotsman

May 20, 2010
Visit site

My original thoughts were, "no replaceable battery AND no microSD option...no deal." But, with the revelation that there will be a microSD option and the sealed battery should be enough to get a moderately heavy user through the day, I'll probably do the upgrade. However, I'm still not buying into the glass back. It'll add weight to any already large phone. The current back of the Note 4 is thin plastic, yet it's durable and doesn't add weight. That would have been fine with me for the Note 5. That said, looks like I'll do the upgrade...especially since my Gear S will only work with Samsung devices. And I do love my Gear S.

Not sure where you heard there will be a SD option, but there won't be.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Not sure where you heard there will be a SD option, but there won't be.

The latest leaks seem to point out that there will be. It will be on the slide out tray for the SIM at the top of the phone. The latest photos seem to back that up. We'll just have to wait and see for sure.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

The latest leaks seem to point out that there will be. It will be on the slide out tray for the SIM at the top of the phone. The latest photos seem to back that up. We'll just have to wait and see for sure.

The S6 Edge also has a slide out tray on the top of the phone, and it does not have an SD Card slot
Unless you are saying there are 2 trays (one on the side AND one at the top), I will need the pics of the renders showing that

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Cool if correct, but usually the tray is wider/thicker if also fitting the sd slot. Looks like no room for both.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X does have an SD card, is 5.7, and starts at 400 dollars with a price bump of 50 per storage bump. The storage is 16/32/64.

If the display is power efficient (not very likely since Moto farms out for their displays) like the Note 4, I would buy the 64GB version. The 3,000 mah fixed battery though is likely going to be a problem. 5.7" 1440p LCD and a 808 chip that is no more power efficient than the 805 in the Note 4. My guess is at least 2.5 hours less screen time than the Note 4- presuming not too much white screen in the background of course on the Note 4.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The S6 Edge also has a slide out tray on the top of the phone, and it does not have an SD Card slot
Unless you are saying there are 2 trays (one on the side AND one at the top), I will need the pics of the renders showing that

He may be saying it will be like the Moto X Style (or Pure Edition in the US) where the SIM tray is also an SD card tray.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

He may be saying it will be like the Moto X Style (or Pure Edition in the US) where the SIM tray is also an SD card tray.

Hmmm, I have not seen any leak that even points to the possibility of that. Did I miss something?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm, I have not seen any leak that even points to the possibility of that. Did I miss something?

No -- he is just saying the SIM slot for the Note 5 looks bigger so he is hoping for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22