Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

Wait, didn't I mention that the memory controller for UFS 2.0 doesn't work with SD cards?

Respectfully another point pushed by some on forums and Samsung marketing- taking the relatively minor point of "slowing down", to "does not work" and what controller is used for it. There is a small technical bottleneck for sd cards and flash storage with 2.0, but works and only a tiny itty bitty fraction of a second slower bottleneck (for slower cards) for content on the card to initiate access (catch is cores of apps are not on the card anyway). All moot, since there are other cache, wait state and Android related issues that negate and override any perceived slow down due to just that. Quick summary: It is an excuse not to add micro sd and test out an Apple wannabe storage model that failed miserably to the point of earlier than normal planned price drops on the S6 and Edge. Samsung sales were bad and will be even worse once the bogus sell-in to retail numbers are netted out of actual sell-though to consumer numbers.

Samsung wanted the usual attach rates of micro sd sales built in to the S6 and Edge. Why let consumers buy lower cost card options from other companies when they could try out the Apple model? It has not worked as they expected and played even further into Apple's hands.

Samsung might be full of BS, but they did make a great device with the Note 4 :)

Last edited:

robnelle

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

Without MicroSD support and removable battery, I will not be buying the Galaxy Nope 5 ™. I will wait for it to launch and then buy a newly discounted Note 4 to replace my Note 3. I'll then take my Note 3 and re-purpose it for some other pet project after I buy a new battery for it.

WDZ

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

To be honest. I will never ever buy a Samsung phone again.
I bought a Note2 in december 2012. After 3 months the phone died because of the SDS.
I sent it for repair and when i got it back the touchscreen starts acting weird.
Again i sent it to the Samsung repair shop and till date i have been going back and forth with Samsung CCC.

Spend more than a $1,000 bucks on that crap.
I just gave up last week and promise myself; never ever a Samsung product.

A2theC

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Yes, no sd card slot means they are using the new UFS 2.0 memory, so the phone will be way faster just like the S6 is! You people who cling to your cheapo sd cards are crazy, I've lost so much data on 64gb sd cards because of those cheap things, sandisk ultra btw. I'm on board for these better memory chips, I only use the extra space for storing app backups/ROMs and music/recordings and pictures/video...but since google has upped their unlimited photo backup I'm just deleting everything after its backed up (local backup with seagate app also).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

Yes, no sd card slot means they are using the new UFS 2.0 memory, so the phone will be way faster just like the S6 is! You people who cling to your cheapo sd cards are crazy, I've lost so much data on 64gb sd cards because of those cheap things, sandisk ultra btw. I'm on board for these better memory chips, I only use the extra space for storing app backups/ROMs and music/recordings and pictures/video...but since google has upped their unlimited photo backup I'm just deleting everything after its backed up (local backup with seagate app also).

Can't help but notice comments like this, but people that want sd cards are not saying people that don't want them are crazy. It is like the folks that could care less about them are imposing their standard on others. Tyranny! ;)

Added: I have owned the N-Gage (don't laugh), Tmo Dash, G1, Incredible, Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid 3, Razr, S3, S4 and now the Note 4 and have never lost data due to card corruption and fill them suckers up! I though HAVE had a corrupted internal error that hosed my data on the S4- where I had my photos and lost them. My experience so far has been the antithesis of your perspective and will not keep my media in the internal data- especially photos.

Sd cards rock, since all you do is take it from one device to another and no 116GB transfer BS using sucky MTP transfer protocol. Oh, wait- there will not be enough storage to transfer all of the 128GB card since less total storage. Ruh roh!

I do not find people crazy not liking cards, so would expect similar on the other side of it. If anything, the practicality of sd cards, the extra storage and less cost puts card fans on the higher ground of total cost analysis. Real winning :) ;)

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

eMMC 5.1 seems pretty quick on my G4...

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Alt phones with REMOVABLE batteries (LIST) current and <2 months away please . . .

I'm on AT&T. As far as I can tell, coming from a Note 3, the only phone's I'd consider are:

• LG G4
  • Galaxy Note 4

Did I miss any worthy of consideration (coming from this Note 3 snob?)

Any phones likely to appear in the next few months which would likely have have removable batteries?

Do you think Samsung will release a Note 5 Nuclear (for power-users who insist on removable batteries)?

I'll be shocked and devastated if Samsung discards me as a long-term/loyal customer on the alter of iphone design envy.

BTW: don't batteries generally last 2 years? Who wants a dying battery stuck in a phone? This is such a dumb trend!

-Mike

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Alt phones with REMOVABLE batteries (LIST) current and <2 months away please . . .

Most 2015 flagship phones have non-removable batteries I think. Might be the new trend because all companies care about is money
Just get a Note 4 and be happy...I can guarantee you the Note 5 will not have a removable battery
Its also not expensive to replace the battery of the Galaxy S6 or Note 5, about $30-$45

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Alt phones with REMOVABLE batteries (LIST) current and <2 months away please . . .

Thanks, but I refuse to be a wall-hugger (especially after samsung made them look like idiots just last year!)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Well updates depend on when the carriers release them, not Samsung

You know, I said the same thing in a recent thread, but in hunting around on the Stagefright hack issue on T-Mobile forums, it appears at least a bit more complicated (at least at times). The first fix has to come from Google of course. Then, however, the manufacturers like Samsung have to vet it for their own hardware--especially, I would think, Samsung which tends not to have a "plain vanilla" Android experience. THEN and only then, said T-mobile, will they get the patch to apply and push. At least according to TMO and in this instance, they are simply the last in the chain, waiting on everyone else.

It's no wonder that patches are so slow.

AqLynch75

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
You are incorrect. You can simply move the apps to SD after you install them. At least I know you can do this with the new Lolipop update. And if you look at Android M coming out. They said that you will be able to install directly to your micro sd card. Its in the official Android M developers builds..

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
You are incorrect. You can simply move the apps to SD after you install them. At least I know you can do this with the new Lolipop update. And if you look at Android M coming out. They said that you will be able to install directly to your micro sd card. Its in the official Android M developers builds..

Samsung says we don't need no stinkin' sd cards! We'll use the 24GB in the phone and LIKE it! Or, pay even higher exuberant iPhone model like prices for more storage that is more expensive and still less total storage. Samsung ain't Apple and if they did not learn from the S6, they are about to learn the hard way by consumers in force this time. Samsung is about to lose a big chunk of their core install base to the G4 and Moto X Pure/Style. Some will move to the iPhone Plus since frankly, Apple is much better at being Apple than Samsung ever will be. Others will just stay with what they have now.

This will probably get real nasty, but Samsung will lay the usual BS with sell in and inventory load-in retail channel numbers. Those numbers are more fake than autotune and will buy them two months of BS- tops this time if that.

I know a lot of people with Notes, both personal and professional. None have interest in upgrading to the Note 5 without sd slot (a few the battery reason too) and the ones that do no use the pen are considering other options including the iPhone Plus (ironic). Most have either 64GB or 128GB cards and do not want to spend more money when they already have a card to move their media to a new device.

I wonder if Samsung knows it will be bad, but many months too late to make any change and stay in front of the Apple launch? Now they have Moto X stealing some August/September thunder thanks to the media buying in to the Moto X product and concept of delivery.

If the Moto X Pure 64GB really is $500 as reported, I will probably buy that and use my Note 4 as a back up and mainly for Gear VR.

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

IF that is true, then I bet a few users will NOT be happy. I've read posts where people want to install APPS ON their SD card. BUT, if they are doing away with NO SD Card slot on the next phone then bye bye .

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Looks like there is a MicroSD card on the Volume side in this picture. It is clear. Look at it Blown up.

64f5e187c2611e931a999836c4c2db55.jpg

ff983994e96ca52e3b8bbc56bcd4d1d2.jpg

Sent from my GNOTE4 using Tapatalk

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You know, I said the same thing in a recent thread, but in hunting around on the Stagefright hack issue on T-Mobile forums, it appears at least a bit more complicated (at least at times). The first fix has to come from Google of course. Then, however, the manufacturers like Samsung have to vet it for their own hardware--especially, I would think, Samsung which tends not to have a "plain vanilla" Android experience. THEN and only then, said T-mobile, will they get the patch to apply and push. At least according to TMO and in this instance, they are simply the last in the chain, waiting on everyone else.

It's no wonder that patches are so slow.

Well, I would think Samsung, once done with their tweaks, would release it to all carriers at the same time, since they only tweak it for Touchwiz. Its the carriers that then do all the bloatware and other stuff. If the other carriers have released theirs already, you know one carrier is being slower than the others *cough* AT&T *cough*

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Semi-Offical specs leaked today from EVLEAKS...no MicroSD slot
I am going from the picture above. Sim card is on the top. Why would you need one on the side also. Post the link for Evleaks from today.

Sent from my GNOTE4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams