Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

The Amazon case render had a pin slot on top and under the power button and with the exception of the power button area that has yet to show in any other "leak", the other images of the render appear to be correct. I have not seen a card design though that has slots perpendicular to each other and would be an odd design for a chipset. Especially if the N5 has the same chip as the S6. Probably another bunk render. Probably.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
A week from Thursday!

Will we have any concrete information before then?

Can't help feeling a little excited to find out about what I most probably won't now be buying.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung says we don't need no stinkin' sd cards! We'll use the 24GB in the phone and LIKE it! Or, pay even higher exuberant iPhone model like prices for more storage that is more expensive and still less total storage. Samsung ain't Apple and if they did not learn from the S6, they are about to learn the hard way by consumers in force this time. Samsung is about to lose a big chunk of their core install base to the G4 and Moto X Pure/Style. Some will move to the iPhone Plus since frankly, Apple is much better at being Apple than Samsung ever will be. Others will just stay with what they have now.

This will probably get real nasty, but Samsung will lay the usual BS with sell in and inventory load-in retail channel numbers. Those numbers are more fake than autotune and will buy them two months of BS- tops this time if that.

I know a lot of people with Notes, both personal and professional. None have interest in upgrading to the Note 5 without sd slot (a few the battery reason too) and the ones that do no use the pen are considering other options including the iPhone Plus (ironic). Most have either 64GB or 128GB cards and do not want to spend more money when they already have a card to move their media to a new device.

I wonder if Samsung knows it will be bad, but many months too late to make any change and stay in front of the Apple launch? Now they have Moto X stealing some August/September thunder thanks to the media buying in to the Moto X product and concept of delivery.

If the Moto X Pure 64GB really is $500 as reported, I will probably buy that and use my Note 4 as a back up and mainly for Gear VR.

And how can you say samsung will lose a big chunk of their core base to the G4 and Moto X. First of all, combined, those two companies don't even sell half the devices Samsung does. By Samsung scrapping SD cards, that is them trying to be like Apple??? Seriously??? Was LG trying to be like Apple when they produced the G2? Or when HTC launched the M7? What about Android makers today offering devices without SD slots. Are they trying to be like Apple? Your argument is senseless in that regard. No mention from you about Apple now making larger display devices. Who are they copying?

Samsung will offer a selection of devices with different storage capacities like they do today. Pick the size that works for you. Common logic says if you go for 64GB over 32gb then you will pay more. So again I don't see your point of that being Iphone like.

Lastly samsung isn't forcing anyone to switch to the N5 from a previous note device. If you own a Note with an SD slot and find it to be functional then keep it. Who says you have to switch. So the folks you speak with that aren't going for a Note5, that's ok. Guess what, there are many folks who didn't go for the N2, N3 & N4 either, so why expect anything different with the N5???

Unlike Apple and their IOS devices, android/Google offers its users a selection of devices from many different manufacturers. If you don't like Samsung then try something else like LG,HTC, MOTO, Sony or whomever. With IOS you only have the iphone.

Regardless of what people think of the changes Samsung is making, the fact is they will still sell millions and stay at the top of the Android market. For how long is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Latest from the rumor mill on phonearena, the note 5 screen is 5.66"
It's like everything I was expecting is gone. The stylus pops out like a government issue ballpoint pen.
I hope we're pleasantly surprised. But, I'm feeling the Motorola x pure edition calling my name at half the price.
I skipped the note 4, since it wasn't sufficient to replace my note 3. I bought the notes 1,2 & 3 the first day. Looked at the note 4, it was new but not much in the way of advancement.
I've never had a non-samsung android, that'll be new.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And how can you say samsung will lose a big chunk of their core base to the G4 and Moto X. First of all, combined, those two companies don't even sell half the devices Samsung does. By Samsung scrapping SD cards, that is them trying to be like Apple??? Seriously??? Was LG trying to be like Apple when they produced the G2? Or when HTC launched the M7? What about Android makers today offering devices without SD slots. Are they trying to be like Apple? Your argument is senseless in that regard. No mention from you about Apple now making larger display devices. Who are they copying?

Samsung will offer a selection of devices with different storage capacities like they do today. Pick the size that works for you. Common logic says if you go for 64GB over 32gb then you will pay more. So again I don't see your point of that being Iphone like.

Lastly samsung isn't forcing anyone to switch to the N5 from a previous note device. If you own a Note with an SD slot and find it to be functional then keep it. Who says you have to switch. So the folks you speak with that aren't going for a Note5, that's ok. Guess what, there are many folks who didn't go for the N2, N3 & N4 either, so why expect anything different with the N5???

Unlike Apple and their IOS devices, android/Google offers its users a selection of devices from many different manufacturers. If you don't like Samsung then try something else like LG,HTC, MOTO, Sony or whomever. With IOS you only have the iphone.

Regardless of what people think of the changes Samsung is making, the fact is they will still sell millions and stay at the top of the Android market. For how long is anyone's guess.

We shall see if your incredulity is supported by results. I think Samsung will lose at least 15% of their sales due to the lack of sd slot, but probably a wait until after Samsung smokescreens with sell-in numbers. The loss with the Note would be worse than the S6. Key word is "would" since not for sure yet if there is not one.

If you think OEs that have half the marketshare can not impact a product segment in the future, that would be incorrect and not accounting for margin of share loss in the market. Very easy for a combined 15% loss of the segment which is millions of units and over a billion in lost revenue.

Just a few-ish months to see.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Everything I'm hearing about the Note 5 is making it sound less and less attractive. The good thing though is that the wonderful Note 4 should be available for a couple more years.

Sent from the Elegance

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Everything I'm hearing about the Note 5 is making it sound less and less attractive. The good thing though is that the wonderful Note 4 should be available for a couple more years.

Sent from the Elegance

The Note 4 could release today and still seem new. The device truly rocks :) One of the reasons the Note 5 would see sales impact since a lot of the folks that change each year rather than contract terms could very likely just stick with the Note 4. Seems the most practical option if the battery and sd slot are priorities to the user.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

Not looking good but until we see an actual device, or Samsung official info, the card faithful can hold onto hope :) For now anyway.

svtalex

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Just 2 more weeks and we will see the official specs. Me coming out of note 3, 100% sure I'll get it either way

Posted via Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Someone over at Reddit not known for false posts stated they got to hold one this weekend, mess with it a few minutes and said the Note 5 is a giant S6. No sd slot confirmed.

Note 5: You are dead to me. Meh. Now let's see how the Moto X Pure pans out.... Note 4 equals great consolation whatever the case :)

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I don't know. I want to not buy it out of protest, even though I rarely switch batteries and haven't used a micro-SD card in years now. I like the option to use both, though. My goal was to own every Note phone, but this will make me rethink this goal.

My distaste for this choice is that you can't make your products like Apple's if you don't make your support like Apple's. If your battery goes dead in your iPhone, you can go to one of over 200 stores in the US for repair or replacement. If you want a Samsung Customer Service Location, there are a whopping seven locations in the US. The Samsung Experience areas in Best Buy do not perform technical/product support as far as I know.

I'm not an Apple fan in the slightest, but I would have to be blind not to see the difference here and classify this as a negative for Samsung.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Personally, I don't know. I want to not buy it out of protest, even though I rarely switch batteries and haven't used a micro-SD card in years now. I like the option to use both, though. My goal was to own every Note phone, but this will make me rethink this goal.

My distaste for this choice is that you can't make your products like Apple's if you don't make your support like Apple's. If your battery goes dead in your iPhone, you can go to one of over 200 stores in the US for repair or replacement. If you want a Samsung Customer Service Location, there are a whopping seven locations in the US. The Samsung Experience areas in Best Buy do not perform technical/product support as far as I know.

I'm not an Apple fan in the slightest, but I would have to be blind not to see the difference here and classify this as a negative for Samsung.

Watch out! The Incredulity Police will post and refute with ever encompassing incredulity as far as your views of sd slots and Samsung's intent ;)

tomus_jerry

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

No
And tats th reason y didnt bought s6
Want removable battery nd sd card
Cant go without it
Hope in note 5 atleast sd carf option is there

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Look at how the Moto X Style/Pure Edition implements the the use of the sd card slot. By putting it in the same tray as the SIM card. Is there really any good reason as to why the Note 5 couldn't use that same tech? So, theoretically, there is still a glimmer of hope that it could or will have it. There are a couple of rumors circulating that it will have one still. We won't know for sure until the 12th or 13th.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
One key reason: Samsung would then not be able to use the Apple model for storage sizes at higher margins ;) Anybody that thinks that is not the main reason respectfully does not appreciate how pretty those products make a net present value calculation look. Sure, Samsung probably will not sell as much as they think they will, but it looks nice seeing all that extra profit on a Powerpoint slide :)

Both Moto and LG have a shot here and should use their own marketing to leverage differentiation. Moto's new distribution model though is inherently constrained... Not sure if they can optimize sales. Should be interesting how much LG and Moto cut into Samsung with the now very clear differentiation. Sticking to my combined 15% marketshare gain. It could be higher, but LG and Moto do not have the same level of marketing resources as Samsung.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Nope, Nada, The Note 5 is Not Gonna Join My Other Notes, if these RUMORS are correct. Even if it comes with SD support and a removable battery, if it has a glass back, I'll skip it. I don't want anything that looks like an iPhone or an S6 for that matter.

Oldoobie

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

No, not me, never ever, not anytime.

Bye bye Samsung Cellphone Division

It was nice playing with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11