Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is playing right into Apple's hands. Who cares what the media thinks? According to them especially Iverge Apple can't do anything wrong. Would be funny to see what would happen if Apple introduces sd cards wIth the ip 7, it will n never happen but none the less an interesting thought.
Samsung is sacrificing their own customer base in hopes of getting the iPhone customers although they won't switch cause they're happy with Apple, which is a dangerous gamble for Samsung. Right now there are lots of other competitors such as LG, Huawei and Sony.

All Samsung should care about is keeping their customer base happy and in return themselves by making a lot of money.

Removing key features such as SD and removable battery from a productivity device is such a stupid decision, it's not even funny. So what's the difference between an IPhone and the galaxy line ? Only the operating system if the leaks are to be believed.

What Samsung should have done instead is simple: ditch tw and offer the best services as apps, improve the stylus, go 4 gig ram and 4k display.

Right now the note 5 looks like a downgrade lol

Last edited:

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

Hi all. I am the ( very happy ) owner of the Samsung Galaxy S5. I've been following the latest news and leaks for the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 but I have a real gut feeling that it's not going to do well. Here are my reasons:

Going back a bit, the last couple of Galaxy S series were criticised for not being different enough from the previous series and for sporting a plastic back. When I say criticised, I mean by online commentators which unfortunately for Samsung were the wrong people to listen to in entirety. But that's another matter. So comes the Galaxy S6 and Samsung change the look of the phone dramatically with a premium finish glass back. They also wrongly ditch the removable battery and the SD card (although leaving an SD card but ditching the removable battery would have been acceptable to the vast majority of Samsung fans I believe).

When I Google sales of the S6, it is not going well for a variety or reasons. In fact, the S5 sold better in its first month than the S6. The reasons are reactions to the loss of the SD card especially, the price, the preference of the Edge version over the regular version and the supply difficulties of the Edge version which caught Samsung by surprise. Plus of course the slaughter in the market place of the iphone 6 models. All these have combined to make the S6 less profitable than initially forecast.

Now, this is with the S6 being dramatically different to the S5. Now compare the Note 5 to Note 4. No major upgrade to front and rear cameras and the battery very disappointingly is now rumoured to be less than the Note 4 ( considering the initial rumours of a 4100mAh battery). The device will look just like a big S6 and now comes with non removable battery and no SD card. The initial rumoured usb C port will not be appearing either.

Who will want to "upgrade" from Note 4 to Note 5? The note 4 still has a very capable Snapdragon 805 processor and I doubt the average person will notice any difference from that to an 8 core processor. Similar cameras, the battery in the 4 is a little larger, same screen resolution and now you do without removing the battery or an SD card. My argument is this: if the radical changes from the S5 to the S6 failed to make a big dent in the market place, I think the Note 5 will be even less. I think the Note 5 is going to be the S5 of the Note line series in terms of sales.

Also, the stunning LG G4 Pro is coming. Massive specs, camera specs that have not been seen since the Nokia Lumia 1020 and a massive battery. Plus keeping the SD card. Seriously, I love my Galaxy S5 and I love Samsung phones in general. Not that I am looking to update anytime soon, but honestly, I would go for the upcoming LG over the "new" Note 5 as it seems to be the far better equipped phone.

And to top all that off, the iphone 6s will soon hit the stores after the Note 5. With the Note 5 being in some ways a downgrade from the Note 4, the arrival of what undoubtedly being a huge seller from Apple and then this alternative massive specs Android, I don't see the Note 5 succeeding at all. Basically, if the S6 hasn't succeeded particularly well and the Note 5 looks just like a big S6.....well you do the math.

Oh, and what a marketing disaster the S6 plus will be! OH my goodness that is going to severely tank. Why would you choose that when you can get the almost identical Note series with a stylus. That will fail miserably.

Anyone with similar or disagreeing comments?

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung is playing right into Apple's hands. Who cares what the media thinks? According to them especially Iverge Apple can't do anything wrong. Would be funny to see what would happen if Apple introduces sd cards wIth the ip 7, it will n never grain but none the less an interesting thought.
Samsung is sacrificing their own customer base in hopes of getting the iPhone customers although they won't switch cause they're happy with Apple, which is a dangerous gamble for Samsung. Right now there are lots of other competitors such as LG, Huawei and Sony.

All Samsung should care about is keeping their customer base happy and in return themselves by making a lot off money.

Removing key features such as SD and removable battery from a productivity device is such a stupid decision, it's bit even funny. So what's the Duchenne I difference better an iPhone send I and the galaxy line ? Only the operating system if the leaks are to be believed.

What Samsung should have done instead is simple: ditch tw and offer the best services as apps, improve the stylus, go 4 gig ram and 4k display.

Right now the note 5 looks like a downgrade lol
I was able to figure out what you meant but you should reread your post.

from the Elegance

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

I agree. As a Note 4 owner I just don't see any compelling reason to justify even considering the Note 5. Same size screen (wanted to see it bumped up to 5.9"), more memory doesn't matter (don't fully use the 3GB on the Note 4 now) and not a fan of glass backs (prefer a rubbery soft touch instead as I use my phone naked). In fact the Note 5 feels like a downgrade to me with the loss of the SD card, but especially due to the sealed/embedded battery (absolute deal breaker even if it were the rumored 4100mAh). I refuse to accept the built-in obsolescence of it, not to mention the restriction of not being able to get back to a full charge in one minute by just swapping out a battery (invaluable)!

Personally, I hope the Note 5 tanks so Samsung is forced to re-evaluate their design strategy for the Note series. A Note device has always been considered a power user's device with its large user-replaceable battery, SD card, large screen and S-Pen. Now with the Note 5 it's lost two of those defining features in a chase of form over function. That may gain them a few new users, but at the same time will lose just as many if not more existing users as is very evident by the comments made here and across the Internet. Some will say that's just a small percentage of vocal users, but that's misleading as there are always more who feel the same way but never vocalize it for anyone to hear.

Last edited:

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Also, the stunning LG G4 Pro is coming. Massive specs, camera specs that have not been seen since the Nokia Lumia 1020 and a massive battery. Plus keeping the SD card. Seriously, I love my Galaxy S5 and I love Samsung phones in general. Not that I am looking to update anytime soon, but honestly, I would go for the upcoming LG over the "new" Note 5 as it seems to be the far better equipped phone.

I am in the same boat as you are completely agree with everything you said. I am due for an upgrade and am hoping the LG G4 Pro is released. I was certain I would be getting the Note 5 but after reading some recent leaks am not so sure.

I guess everyone will have to wait and see until the 13th when the official announcement is made.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. One thing I see about the S6 and the upcoming Note 5 is that Samsung is emulating Apple. And it's failing badly. Samsung have listened to the wrong people. I have spoken to lots of people and only one person ever commented on the plastic back. Don't get me wrong. I think Samsung did right in getting rid of the plastic back, it was definitely time. But unfortunately Samsung seemed to have gone for too much style over substance and think that making a premium finish would hail in a comeback of sorts.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Samsung cannot emulate Apple and cannot beat Apple at its own game. It needs to offer new style but with a different game. I have seen countless iphone fans and a lot of them are iphone fans forever. Samsung needs to do things differently in order to beat Apple

I don't believe Samsung can now go back to an SD card. After releasing 2 models without it, Samsung will look foolish to return to it. I would call Apple out and make their phones seem like a bit of a money grabbing extravagance by releasing future premium flagship phones all with standard 128 GB hard drives. That is the sort of thing a potential Apple buyer might take a long hard look at.

I would reintroduce the water and dust proofing, but doing further research to do so without the fiddly flaps. I would offer some features that Apple will not have. Like introducing xenon flashes for the rear camera that an iphone could not possibly compete with.

And I would dare to buck the trend and start making the phones a bit thicker to give truly large batteries. I can guarantee you that no one would ever lament for eg, a Galaxy S7 being thicker than the current S6 if it had something like a 3500 to 4000mah battery.

For sure, make the phones more premium but do some things and give some features that outclasses Apple. For swinging mobile phone buyers, (those that could go either way Apple or Android), having standard 128 GB hard drive, water and dustproofing, a xenon flash etc would be enough for them to consider Samsung over Apple. But Samsung cannot afford to play at the Apple game. The S6 shows that it's a no win.

I also need to clarify something I wrote. When I said style over substance, I didn't mean there was no new innovation for eg in the new S6 series. Obviously the Exynos processor, the quad HD display, built in wireless charging, the super sophisticated Edge variant etc are great substance. Apart from the Edge variant, the rest of the substance aren't what people really aspired to. I honestly believe that if Samsung just kept the SD card and made the battery significantly larger capacity, the sales figures would have been turned around. Not all substance has to be the latest and greatest ground breaking technology. But as I say, a better strategy I believe than put in a SD card is just make 128 GB standard. It would have made the S6 not look like the Apple format and would have made the iphones look like a bit of a rip off having to pay significantly extra for each tier up in storage.

But seriously, I am already cringing at the total write off the Galaxy S6 plus is going to be.

Madscotsman

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

If I apply a mathematical trend to your post and extrapolate out with regression using a polynomial, your answer is "Not likely" ;)

A quadratic equation would not be a viable option for an answer, since appears linear in trend :)

The best derivation would be a composite result by using regression, polynomial and a flip of a coin ;)

Dear god, the middle school algebra comes flooding back......

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The media is not how Samsung chooses to make phones. They have much more data centric ways of making those decisions than reading reviews after the fact. :)

Not long to find out how that opaque marketing bubble is with that data ;) Probably two months worth of channel fill inventory numbers that will be touted as "sales" (like they did with S6) and then finally an idea of what sales really are. I think they are going to take a hit since isolating a current segment of Note users and an iPhone refresh about to release. The less differentiation, the less marketshare. We shall see how pans out.

Guessing though that they do look at data and feedback and know now the lack of sd slot hurt their S6 sales, but way too late to do anything about it with the Note 5. They did make the greatest device evah' with the Note 4, so have to have to give benefit of doubt :)

Seems though Samsung's desire to replicate Apple's storage tier pricing model is not fairing very well.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The Note 5 should sell millions, but millions less than they expect and need. Samsung's design decisions cater mainly to people that already have and will continue to buy iPhones. Consumers vested in that ecosystem are not going to change.

Samsung will lose a segment of current Note users due to the design changes and also continue to lose to iPhone 6+. Samsung has less differentiation now with their product and that almost never helps to grow sales. The consumer sell though (real sales) impact will probably be a worse margin than the S6/Edge loss.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

The consumer sell though (real sales) impact will probably be a worse margin than the S6/Edge loss.

Agreed-unfortunately. Hopefully Samsung will learn the lessons of the S6 and the Note 5 and listen to its customers and make better decisions for future products. That rules out the S7 as its development is already underway. But for the Note 6 and S8 and other models, hopefully Samsung might peruse forums like these rather than listen to wrong marketing executives and make better decisions.

And get on top again and beat Apple. As I say, Samsung cannot afford to be an Apple wannabe. People see right through that and unfortunately offering models with 3 tiers of hardware capacity seems to almost everyone like emulating Apple. Samsung needs to be premium and cutting edge but go its own, bold and daring route. My suggestion is daring to offer features that Apple will not. As I say, daring to make a 128 GB hard drive as standard for its flagship phones, xenon flashes, bucking the trend and making the phones slightly thicker with really large battery capacities.

Things like that would scream and cry out "premium" without looking like Apple.

I would love to see the day if Samsung ever make a foldable wallet style phone. However I read that LG has invested over a billion dollars in that sort of technology so if it ever happens, I don't think it will be exclusive to Samsung. Either way, that is the sort of innovation that will bring iphone down.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The smaller size is enough for me to buy the cheaper S6. Unless the battery life is double that of the S6.

It's disappointing because we first heard rumors of 4100mah. If I'm gonna pay that much for that phone, it's gonna have to be worth it. Not just barely above average or just a small step up from the S6.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is too subjective, but fun to read feedback :)

The S6 has the 7420 and battery life is good if you do not use apps much that leverage the GPU. The GPU on the 7420 is more powerful than (as example) the 808, but the GPU consumes more power than the 808's. That is a main reason why battery life tests or user feedback has a diverse difference. Also what content for the display. If lots of darker colors or black, the S6 has great battery life, but with brighter colors and whites the OLED display drains more power than a typical IPS LCD panel. Especially the closer you get to white.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Is the battery the deciding factor for you?
What if it was found that the phone lasted 2 days with that battery?
I'm sure Samsung has done tests to atleast have the phone last 1 full day

For me it is as a sealed/embedded battery limits my options and forces me to have to plug the phone into a charging source. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery I maintain the option to swap it out on the fly to get back to a full charge within minutes (something not even fast charging is able to do). Personally I find that option invaluable as it not only keeps my phone untethered at all times, but allows me the freedom to use it as hard as I like knowing that spare will be back to a full charge faster than I can drain the one in the phone. Rinse and repeat that cycle as much as wanted/needed.

Also unlike a sealed/embedded battery, no worries about ever managing the charge level hoping to maintain its longevity, or having to deal with one that may be losing its capacity, or worse one that just goes bad. Instead I can have multiple batteries (as many as I want) to spread out the wear and tear or just use and abuse them without worry as they can be easily replaced (at minimal cost). :)

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
For me it is as a sealed/embedded battery limits my options and forces me to have to plug the phone into a charging source. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery I maintain the option to swap it out on the fly to get back to a full charge within minutes (something not even fast charging is able to do). Personally I find that option invaluable as it not only keeps my phone untethered at all times, but allows me the freedom to use it as hard as I like knowing that spare will be back to a full charge faster than I can drain the one in the phone. Rinse and repeat that cycle as much as wanted/needed.

Also unlike a sealed/embedded battery, no worries about ever managing the charge level hoping to maintain its longevity, or having to deal with one that may be losing its capacity, or worse one that just goes bad. Instead I can have multiple batteries (as many as I want) to spread out the wear and tear or just use and abuse them without worry as they can be easily replaced (at minimal cost). :)

I agree with you on both of your points. I've had two previous phones where the original batteries went bad and I just had to buy a new one and pop it in.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Sweet. Hopefully Verizon will slash their prices to match. I just can't switch to T-Mobile. My wife just signed up with edge with her new phone and I've checked their prices. It's cheaper for us to stay with VZW.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

If I apply a mathematical trend to your post and extrapolate out with regression using a polynomial, your answer is "Not likely" ;)

A quadratic equation would not be a viable option for an answer, since appears linear in trend :)

The best derivation would be a composite result by using regression, polynomial and a flip of a coin ;)

All right, now, they PROMISED me there would be NO MATH on message boards. This is making my head hurt. :-[

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12