Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

I'm wondering if their gonna push the S6 edge+ a little more than the Note 5. Just a thought.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

No.
Dr. Sheldon Cooper has been revealed in our midst.
I thought he would be here somewhere.

Glad to have you Dr Cooper.
A fan of your work.

er... I mean Rushmore.

(especially on paranomals and that other stuff.)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I'm happy I can finally buy a Samsung phone that doesn't look like a toy phone. I'm loving the new glass build on their new phone. I don't care whether they beat Apple or not, I'm not buying a phone for bragging rights.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I hate these "doom and gloom" posts. Every time a new phone or new anything comes out owners of the older models say how it sucks and how the new model is going to be the end of the world for whatever company is making it. Let the damn phone come out and lets see how it is. It won't be the end of Samsung for sure.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm happy I can finally buy a Samsung phone that doesn't look like a toy phone. I'm loving the new glass build on their new phone. I don't care whether they beat Apple or not, I'm not buying a phone for bragging rights.

If you are implying that Note 4 is a toy phone, well it's far from it. It's a perfect combination of style, functionality and options, the best Samsung ever produced IMO. Note 5 on the other hand looks more like a fashion accessory to me rather than a proper phone. And it might as well have a bitten apple logo on the back of it.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

I think Samsung is taking a calculated risk. They know they are going to alienate some of the power users, but they are hoping to get some of the market share the apple iphone 6+ captured. Samsung is hoping to capture more of the apple people than they lose from their power user base.

Considering that even with the dropped features, its still going to be one of the top phones on the market, I think their strategy might work, even though I'm pissed to be losing some of these features!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I think Samsung is taking a calculated risk. They know they are going to alienate some of the power users, but they are hoping to get some of the market share the apple iphone 6+ captured. Samsung is hoping to capture more of the apple people than they lose from their power user base.

Considering that even with the dropped features, its still going to be one of the top phones on the market, I think their strategy might work, even though I'm pissed to be losing some of these features!

I agree with the analysts that point out the Apple ecosystem is actually more important than the device for Apple users, so they stick with Apple. The issue that helped Samsung with the Note and S series was some users got tired of smaller displays, but Apple answered that. All Samsung appears to be doing now is reducing differentiation and alienating a much bigger segment of current Samsung users than Samsung might appreciate. They should have caught this with the weaker S6 sales, but probably would have been too late to change the Note 5 anyway.

Seems near certain would be minimal migration from iPhone to Note 5, but in comparison a lot more current Note owners not upgrading to the Note 5.

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I was considering switching out my S6 active for the Note 5, but after reading that the Note 5's battery will only be 3000 mAh, I am not going to do that. Why would Samsung put in a smaller battery in a phone after all the complaints from the S6's battery life? Stupid! I like the look of the phone and I love the Note series of phones, but I'm not getting this one. Seems like a downgrade from the Note 4: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/04/samsung-galaxy-note-5-pictures/

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I was considering switching out my S6 active for the Note 5, but after reading that the Note 5's battery will only be 3000 mAh, I am not going to do that. Why would Samsung put in a smaller battery in a phone after all the complaints from the S6's battery life? Stupid! I like the look of the phone and I love the Note series of phones, but I'm not getting this one. Seems like a downgrade from the Note 4: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/04/samsung-galaxy-note-5-pictures/

Well the Note 5 battery size is bigger than the S6 battery
The S6 Active has a 3500mah battery. How is that doing for you? Are you a heavy user?
I could make an estimated guess on battery life of the Note 5 with this information

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

I couldn't resist. Picture CrackBerry, January 2013:

I think BlackBerry is taking a calculated risk. They know they are going to alienate some of the power users, but they are hoping to get some of the market share the Apple iPhone 5 captured. BlackBerry is hoping to capture more of the Apple people than they lose from their power user base.

The BlackBerry phone was the Z10, which didn't have the physical keyboard or the toolbelt, two features that BlackBerry fans valued. BlackBerry definitely didn't beat other OEMs in the touchscreen phone game and the company took almost a $1 billion write-off on Z10 inventory.

Due to the Android system and Samsung's more recent better performance, I don't think that the Note 5 would hurt Samsung nearly as much as the Z10 hurt BlackBerry. However, downward trends start somewhere. I hope that Samsung hears its user base and understands why their customers have been repeat customers in the past. A business that doesn't listen to its customers will soon not have any.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I hate these "doom and gloom" posts. Every time a new phone or new anything comes out owners of the older models say how it sucks and how the new model is going to be the end of the world for whatever company is making it. Let the damn phone come out and lets see how it is. It won't be the end of Samsung for sure.

Dude, I didn't write this thread because I enjoy bashing Samsung. I absolutely love Samsung phones and I put in my two cents so that I can contribute with like minded people and hopefully be a voice that perhaps some smart Samsung executive will notice and take heed.

Apple are murdering Samsung at the moment. With phones that have only 1GB RAM, HD display only, small batteries, no wireless charging, no IR blasters and cameras with only half the megapixels. This is not the end of Samsung phones? Are you absolutely sure? God forbid if the next generation of Apple phones lift their hardware game if this is what they are doing with their current crop of phones. Just remember how big Blackberry was once. Just remember that Nokia was once the biggest phone seller. And look what happened. So don't be so sure. The combination of Apples's dominance, current Samsung slump, (already the S6 is being discounted and Samsung has posted its 5th consecutive quarterly profit decline) and the emergence of Chinese value for money phone manufacturers is quite dire for Samsung at the moment.

I for one would love for Samsung to get back on top. You say "let's see" and wait what happens for the Note 5. What is there to see? It looks exactly like the S6 just bigger. So if the S6 has floundered, so will the new Note. I wrote some posts long ago before the S6 came out casting "doom and gloom" as you say and unfortunately I was correct. If perhaps Samsung looks at a few of us predicting doom and gloom, they will come to their senses and change their marketing strategy and give their loyal users what they want and succeed again. I don't want an Apple phone. And sorry to say, most Samsung users couldn't give a toss about the "premium" finish. I am more than happy for eg, with the plastic back of my Galaxy S5. As I said before, it was time for the plastic regardless to go. But the main marketing strategy shouldn't have been the premium finish. The main marketing strategy should have been items Apple couldn't compete with, such as bucking the trend and making the phones a bit thicker and putting in really large batteries, giving 128GB storage as standard etc.

How much money do you think it cost Apple to develop the iphone 6? A phone with overall much lower grade specs than flagship Androids. And how much do you think it cost Samsung to develop the fancy 8 core processor which no one appreciates or notices, the quad HD display which definately no one notices and the Edge? The Edge being the only really noticeable innovative feature. An absolute fortune. Samsung could have plopped in the Snapdragon 805 and it would not have sold less.

The doomers and gloomers are who Samsung should be listening to. If Samsung read a wish list of people what they wanted for the S6, it would have been different and it would have sold wildly. Market people don't understand that a lot of people are heavily invested in Apple and would never change. Market people should have attempted to please and even surpass the wishes of their loyal base rather than try to swing the Apple people.

In the end, they are losing both.

Last edited:

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Is the battery the deciding factor for you?
What if it was found that the phone lasted 2 days with that battery?
I'm sure Samsung has done tests to atleast have the phone last 1 full day
For me, it was the latest in a list of disappointments.
rumors are rumors, but gee-whiz. A month or so ago we were getting a real flagship. now, it appears, I'm out. I'll buy the moto X pure for half the price and see what comes next year.
I want the big screen. it's why I bought the first three note generations. The lack of a micro SD card and replaceable battery are why I didn't go for the nexus 6.
no real reason to upgrade. maybe if I were in the market for samsung I might think about a note 4. but as it is, I think we're going to go for the moto X pure.
it's not just one or two things. It's a list of missed marks, to get my $1000

Soriea Storm

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

I agree.
I loved the screen on my husbands Nexus 6. I thought for sure Samsung would bump the screen size. 5.9 would be nicer for writing notes on. But there is nothing compelling in Note 5 and I am thinking of picking up Note 4 instead and save a few bucks.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Dude, I didn't write this thread because I enjoy bashing Samsung. I absolutely love Samsung phones and I put in my two cents so that I can contribute with like minded people and hopefully be a voice that perhaps some smart Samsung executive will notice and take heed.

Apple are murdering Samsung at the moment. With phones that have only 1GB RAM, HD display only, small batteries, no wireless charging, no IR blasters and cameras with only half the megapixels. This is not the end of Samsung phones? Are you absolutely sure? God forbid if the next generation of Apple phones lift their hardware game if this is what they are doing with their current crop of phones. Just remember how big Blackberry was once. Just remember that Nokia was once the biggest phone seller. And look what happened. So don't be so sure. The combination of Apples's dominance, current Samsung slump, (already the S6 is being discounted and Samsung has posted its 5th consecutive quarterly profit decline) and the emergence of Chinese value for money phone manufacturers is quite dire for Samsung at the moment.

I for one would love for Samsung to get back on top. You say "let's see" and wait what happens for the Note 5. What is there to see? It looks exactly like the S6 just bigger. So if the S6 has floundered, so will the new Note. I wrote some posts long ago before the S6 came out casting "doom and gloom" as you say and unfortunately I was correct. If perhaps Samsung looks at a few of us predicting doom and gloom, they will come to their senses and change their marketing strategy and give their loyal users what they want and succeed again. I don't want an Apple phone. And sorry to say, most Samsung users couldn't give a toss about the "premium" finish. I am more than happy for eg, with the plastic back of my Galaxy S5. As I said before, it was time for the plastic regardless to go. But the main marketing strategy shouldn't have been the premium finish. The main marketing strategy should have been items Apple couldn't compete with, such as bucking the trend and making the phones a bit thicker and putting in really large batteries, giving 128GB storage as standard etc.

How much money do you think it cost Apple to develop the iphone 6? A phone with overall much lower grade specs than flagship Androids. And how much do you think it cost Samsung to develop the fancy 8 core processor which no one appreciates or notices, the quad HD display which definately no one notices and the Edge? The Edge being the only really noticeable innovative feature. An absolute fortune. Samsung could have plopped in the Snapdragon 805 and it would not have sold less.

The doomers and gloomers are who Samsung should be listening to. If Samsung read a wish list of people what they wanted for the S6, it would have been different and it would have sold wildly. Market people don't understand that a lot of people are heavily invested in Apple and would never change. Market people should have attempted to please and even surpass the wishes of their loyal base rather than try to swing the Apple people.

In the end, they are losing both.

I did a "I wish people weren't so negative" thing on a G4 thread. But I also said I understand that people need to vent. So on so forth.

That being said, your points regarding Samsung and the industry are spot on. I especially liked the bit about the processor. Sure, it's the best processor out currently, but how much money did they spend in research and development then manufacturing the chip. Owning the G4, I have to say I'm surprised more company's didn't go with the 808. Sure, it's not as sexy as the higher end chips but in everyday use I can tell you it fly's. And people gripe about the plastic build but the phone feels solid to me. Though I don't think LG is gonna creep up in Samsung anytime soon, your points about Nokia and BlackBerry made me think about that a little more. Good post man.

Last edited:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
That being said, I would have loved some shares in Apple stock before the IPhone 6 came out. With the bigger screen, you knew people where gonna flip out. They finally made a phone with a bigger screen. Something Android had been progressing in for years now.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

OK, there are many of us unhappy about design direction samsung is taking now, but how well they are actually doing in market is different matter. I did some digging into market analysis news and I don't see any sign of doom and gloom for Samsung yet. Yes, they lost some momentum this year compared to their peak days with S4, Note 3. But S6 appears to be doing very decently for what I'm hearing on forum like this. Samsung seems to believe they could have done better if they didn't underestimate demand for S6 edge so couldn't make enough in time.

In fact, Android overall increased smart-phone share in US this year and iPhone6's momentum has slowed down it seems. I read somewhere iPhone's share has decreased in US this year. And Samsung, LG combined control 78% of all androids in US this year. So though I see LG's rising, I don't see any evidence that Apple is killing Samsung anytime soon in market analysis.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Sales Boost Android U.S. Market Share | Business Smartphone and Tablet Technology Solutions content from The VAR Guy

Samsung continues to rule over Apple in smartphone market - CNET

Samsung keeps top spot as smartphone market grows

Samsung And LG Account For 78% Of U.S. Android Sales | Androidheadlines.com

Last edited:

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
For me, it was the latest in a list of disappointments.
rumors are rumors, but gee-whiz. A month or so ago we were getting a real flagship. now, it appears, I'm out. I'll buy the moto X pure for half the price and see what comes next year.
I want the big screen. it's why I bought the first three note generations. The lack of a micro SD card and replaceable battery are why I didn't go for the nexus 6.
no real reason to upgrade. maybe if I were in the market for samsung I might think about a note 4. but as it is, I think we're going to go for the moto X pure.
it's not just one or two things. It's a list of missed marks, to get my $1000

Why don't you think the Note 5 will be a flagship device? It's specs will be tops on the market, if that's your thing. I don't see Sammie missing the mark on a lot.

The lack of SD slot and sealed battery didn't make the nexus 6 any less worthy of being a Nexus device. The same will hold true for the Note 5 IF that's the direction it's moving towards.

The new Moto will have a sealed battery and balanced pricing which, is nothing new for them. The Note has always been a pricey device and with more premium build materials used it's only natural to expect a cost increase.

I wouldn't discredit the Note 5 before an official announcement although, I do realize it won't appeal to everyone.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to replace my Note 3 with the newest iteration after all. I have devices from each OS. I've always loved Android phones with removable batteries and expandable storage. That's what I desire from them.

I've got an iPhone 6, I don't want a sealed in battery and no SD card slot. I know that the Note 5 will be a good device, I'm sure it'll perform like a flagship. It's just not where I'd like to go at this time. Thankfully there are still other Android devices with the features I need. =)

Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 5 will not have SD card slot and removable battery... so what other 2015 phone can I get?

It just occurred to me that the *ONLY* reason that I've been
buying Samsung phones for the last several years is the fact
they ALWAYS have SD card slots and removable batteries
in their flagship phones. Without those two features, I don't
see any reason to buy Samsung. If I want to buy a big 2015
smartphone, I might as well jump ship to iPhone and wait for
the iPhone 6S Plus.

That logic is flawed. If you're only after phones that have an SD Card slot and removable battery, then it makes no sense as to why you would go to an Apple device.

While I understand the convenience those features offer to some, I am not one of them. My G3 supports it, but I don't use those two. For me, I have the vast majority of what I need in my phone and what's not on internal storage is the cloud. As 75% of the time I'm around fast WiFi, it works out for me.

As for which phones support both features, I think the only flagship that does is the LG G4. The HTC One M9 has an SD card slot but no removable battery. I'm not completely sure about the Asus ZenPhone 2.

Posted via the Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis