Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Who is actually looking forward to (or has hope for) the Note 5?

Samsung will have to come up with something truly remarkable in Note 5 because I can't think of anything it offers over Note 4 (apart from an extra GB of ram which I don't think will make a huge difference). Also Note 4.1 would have been a more appropriate name for it. But we shall see next week.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

I concur with most of your wishlist, but I'd change the following.

1) Even if the display is at full HD, it won't consume less power because you're still driving all those 2560x1440 pixels, just at a lower resolution. It can be done to improve performance in games, though.

2) I'd say keep it at 16MP but improve the lens quality and maybe improve OIS with more stabilization and more software features. I personally think we've hit a sweet spot in phone cameras and frankly, anything more is considered overkill to me.

I agree. It's raw screen resolution and size that matters for power consumption. I hope they keep it at 2K and not bump up to 4K screen. I prefer camera sensor at 16MP too. Bumping it to 20MP at the same sensor size would hurt low light performance with noise. Sensor size needs to grow to offset that, but that would require bigger camera module.

As for returning to Qualcomm, I'm not sure if that would save any money for samsung unless they stop their own AP development altogether. They always had Exynos in development even when S4, S5 were powered by snapdragons. Also news has that snapdragon 820 would be produced at Samsung fab, so it wouldn't make much difference either way.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

My excitement level has fallen since the latest leaks, but I'll still be giving the Note 5 serious consideration. I've gone from "possibly pre-ordering" to "wait for reviews" mode, and for me, it will boil down to battery life. The Note line has been known for above average battery life, and if it comes in closer to average or lower it will be hard to justify the price tag. The S6 isn't exactly topping the charts on battery life so it's a definite concern given the 3,000 mAh battery.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

True, there will still be many existing or prior Note owners looking forward to the Note 5 yet. Although probably a lot less than normal if all the Internet chatter lamenting the loss of user-replaceable battery and/or SD card holds true. But aren't you (and may be smooth4lyfe) phone jumpers though? Those that tend to pick up numerous phones a year or typically get each release regardless? :)
I do like to try out new stuff but I don't use new stuff just because it is new. I did use the s6 and g4 for a while but they didn't work out for me and am back on the note 4.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT WANT to see in the Note 5?

Okay, it seems that we have threads asking guys what they want from the Note 5.

However, it's time for something different. What do you NOT WANT to see?

The following is mine
  • 64GB not being the base storage
  • A smaller battery for the sake of a thinner profile
  • The same overly-horrendous RAM management from the S6
  • No expandable storage and removable battery without compensation
That's about it.

I agree with you but at the same time the pros of the Note 5 outweigh the cons for me

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 5 will not have SD card slot and removable battery... so what other 2015 phone can I get?

That logic is flawed. If you're only after phones that have an SD Card slot and removable battery, then it makes no sense as to why you would go to an Apple device.

While I understand the convenience those features offer to some, I am not one of them. My G3 supports it, but I don't use those two. For me, I have the vast majority of what I need in my phone and what's not on internal storage is the cloud. As 75% of the time I'm around fast WiFi, it works out for me.

As for which phones support both features, I think the only flagship that does is the LG G4. The HTC One M9 has an SD card slot but no removable battery. I'm not completely sure about the Asus ZenPhone 2.

Posted via the Android Central App

Not flawed IF the key reason having the Note over other options was the ability to carry more local media in the device. Standard principle of competitive products and when features are reduced to limit differentiation that may be valued highly by a consumer.

I think Apple is much better at being Apple than Samsung will ever be. Point seems very logical since a lot of people could care less if Android or iOS, they just want something that works and they can consume media with. Apple has a better ecosystem from the general consumer mind, so Samsung reducing their differentiation will probably not help.

Samsung needs to appreciate they mainly lost some marketshare because Apple offered bigger phones. My guess is Apple applaud's Samsung's decisions and so do their OE competitors like LG and Moto. Samsung would lose the apparent Apple wannabe game to Apple.

Added: The LG Pro (if comes to market) would be interesting, but seems the Moto X Pure ticks a lot of checkpoints. Open issues are the display and battery life. Also hoping the turbo charge can be turned off since not much better than fast charge as far as battery capacitance impact after about six months. Neither are good for optimizing the battery over time.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT WANT to see in the Note 5?

I agree with you but at the same time the pros of the Note 5 outweigh the cons for me

THAT is what truly matters :) I just wish Samsung offered the sd slot so BOTH sides of perspective would be happy ;) Then: If you want one great! If not, still great! Seems that is a key point. Samsung got rid of the choice so a chunk of folks that wanted the option will move on.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if I had the Note 4, my outlook would have been pretty different. The Note 4 is already a great device, and wouldn't seem like much of an upgrade to move to the Note 5. Since its my first Note, I want the latest one.

You still might be better off with the Note 4 ;) The looks are kind of moot, since not practical to not have a case on a glass covered device like this. That said, I see people with cracked iPhones at work all the time and no case.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

My excitement level has fallen since the latest leaks, but I'll still be giving the Note 5 serious consideration. I've gone from "possibly pre-ordering" to "wait for reviews" mode, and for me, it will boil down to battery life. The Note line has been known for above average battery life, and if it comes in closer to average or lower it will be hard to justify the price tag. The S6 isn't exactly topping the charts on battery life so it's a definite concern given the 3,000 mAh battery.

Just depends on what apps you like to use since the GPU and bright colors on the display will likely be the battery killers- using the S6 for comparison. Same really for any newer device with OLED.

If could care less about SD and not concerned about storage, the Note 5 should rock.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

I am excited for the note five, but all the missing features have me contemplating the Note 4, or even waiting for the upcoming LG G4 Note device that will appear later this fall.

I am upgrading from a galaxy S4, so I am far from a phone jumper. I got this phone in the spring of 2013. However it has many features which I am very much used to having, which Samsung has neglected to include in the note 5. Primarily, my SD card, replaceable battery, and IR blaster are all going away. On top of that, I am not unhappy with the performance of the snapdragon 600 series chip in my S4, which hasn't had any significant lag problems.

I got very excited about the note 5 when rumors included a 4100 MAH battery and the 7422 Xynos chip. Now that we are getting a 3000 MAH battery (smaller than my wife's S6 active) and the same chip is the S6, I'm a lot less excited, and I find myself flirted with the idea of holding out for a different device rather than buying the note 5 when it arrives.

I am looking forward to the big reveal, because I think Samsung will have something to set the phone apart from its competitors and drive sales. Not sure what, maybe new S-pen features, maybe promises of a quick upgrade to android M ( with android doze to help battery life) or maybe some hardware item different from what was already leaked. I am looking forward to the reveal, and probably looking for to the phone to, just not as much as I was a month ago when rumors were different

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Me too. If the N5 had the rumored features and SD slot, my Note 4 would be backup. Seems overall the Note 5 is more a backup compared to the Note 4.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I wish the Note 4 was coming out this year, and hi res screens were a completely new phoemononwmemenon.
That was a treat when it arrived I'm sure.

I had the Note 3 soon after it came out and loved the screen.
Late 2014 came too quickly for me, so I also feel I missed out.

The thing the Note series has to contend with more this year ( like Mercedes, BMW's etc), is that the competition is lower down the price scale, offering almost as much spec and ability as today's expensive flagship phones - and now other flagship phones like Motorola's are close to half the expected price.

Still, I will try to be thrilled in anticipation.
In two or three weeks time, I may know my new job is going to last, and I will want to get excited to buy a great new Samsung device that has just launched.

Then I can tell everyone how brilliant, gorgeous and clever I think I am. * < < sorry, IT is. :)

You can't beat a large Super Amoled screen and great Touchwiz UI features (forget about lag) at the end of the day.
We wanted it to have ALL the features we love, but some of the core elements that make Notes great could still be enough to win us over.

Money no object, I would probably still get a 128gb Note 5 and all the bells and whistles accessories and be very happy with my choice.

Proudnerd

May 26, 2015
Visit site

The Note 5 will deservedly fail. Samsung are selling out and totally ignoring why their fanbase like their phones. all they are doing is completely trying to copy Apple and removing any and all vestiges of their own identity from the phone.

I adore the Note 4. I love that I can do anything I like with it and how well it works with my Gear S and Gear Circle. I couldn't give a [language removed] what it is made of. Why does anyone care about this? Are you that insecure? I loved the Note 3 I had before that and the s4 i had as well. I like them because they cater to the power user types like me. No SD card slot no removable battery and a pathetic, trendy completely apple centric design ethos ensure i will never ever buy this phone and I will have to look elsewhere when my 4 gets too long in the tooth.

Really pathetic showing from Samsung and they should be embarrassed at how hard they are trying to copy Apple, i.e. a tech company made for idiots who don't know anything about technology.

People buy iPhones for the "cool" factor.

They are great phones, but they aren't special in any way. It's just a phone, and yet, some people treat it like it's some sort of religious God or something.

No they buy them because they're idiots who don't know how things work. Even Woz back in 2012 said that at CES.

I'm happy I can finally buy a Samsung phone that doesn't look like a toy phone. I'm loving the new glass build on their new phone. I don't care whether they beat Apple or not, I'm not buying a phone for bragging rights.

This is seriousy [language removed] hilarious. You call Samsung phones toys and yet you'd rather have a light years behind far less capable device. do you listen to yourself talk because you sure don't make any sense. Please go back to Apple or a Startac, its more your speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

My wife and I are both ditching our iPhones for the Note 5.

I know a lot of Note fans are upset with the lack of a SD card and removable battery but I think that's the future of smartphones. How many phones still allow both of these features if not maybe just one of those features? Not too many.

I think this phone is going to shock a lot of people

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

My wife and I are both ditching our iPhones for the Note 5.

I know a lot of Note fans are upset with the lack of a SD card and removable battery but I think that's the future of smartphones. How many phones still allow both of these features if not maybe just one of those features? Not too many.

I think this phone is going to shock a lot of people
They offer 256gb at a tolerant price, I'm fine with no slot :)

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm very happy to be one of the "rare ones". I'm a doctor but I like android phones. I love the Note series and the functionality the S pen offers. I agree most of my colleagues are not " tech -savvy" but in my country most of them still use Android phones. I'm unhappy about what Samsung has done with the Note 5 but I'll still buy it. AS BACKUP FOR MY NOTE 4 😀(hopefully we'll get the 128 GB version here. I have a 128 GB UHS-1 San Disk card in my Note 4). Lots of people here use two phones. I'll be hoping that Samsung will repent of their "sins" and correct their errors with the Note 6. Samsung hopefully will learn it doesn't pay (literally and figuratively) to alienate its core fan base.

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

For those that are concerned about the SD Card, you could get an SD Card USB adapter and connect it to your phone and use it like that... I think that's even safer than leaving it in ur phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

For those that are concerned about the SD Card, you could get an SD Card USB adapter and connect it to your phone and use it like that... I think that's even safer than leaving it in ur phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

I have always seen some merit in that, or that dual usb Sandisk thumb drive - but I would leave that one alone. :)

Serious SD card users are not buying it.

Yet.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I'll be hoping that Samsung will repent of their "sins" and correct their errors with the Note 6. Samsung hopefully will learn it doesn't pay (literally and figuratively) to alienate its core fan base.

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.

Exactly. If the Note 5 goes the way of the S6 it will not be a bad thing. If if happens, hopefully Samsung will re-evaluate their strategy and change direction. It wouldn't hurt for their executives to peruse these forums and listen to their fan base and find out what they actually want. Samsung will realise they don't have to actually spend as much as they do on research and all the latest technical innovations. Heck, like Apple, they wouldn't even have to spend as much on advertising if they are giving people what they want.

If you think my thread is "doom and gloom", check this article out:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2015/08/06/samsung-losing-android-war/2/

This is scary stuff. This is why I suggested go all out NOT on more of the latest cutting edge technologies, but all out on features and usability of current technologies that other manufacturers cannot match, such as Apple and the increasing threats of OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei etc.

This is why I suggested putting things like 128GB hard drives as standard, xenon flash and the like. Because Samsung is a huge volume seller compared to OnePlus, it is in a position to negotiate prices for components that the upcoming rival Androids cannot. OnePlus could not afford to put in a xenon flash, front led flash and 128GB hard drive etc and still undercut Samsung flagships by hundreds of dollars. The article I posted is typical of the doom forecast of major manufacturers such as Samsung saying that components have become good enough across the board to undercut the big manufacturers. The argument is why spend many hundreds of dollars on a Samsung flagship to get its camera when a OnePlus or Huawei phone can give you an almost as good as one but that much cheaper.

However, I for one, and I'm sure plenty of others too, would spend hundreds of dollars extra over a OnePlus, Xiaomi etc if not only I am getting a Samsung ISOCELL camera with all its imaging capability, but the 128 GB hard drive, xenon flash, waterproofing etc. I see this as the only way for Samsung to succeed against both Apple and cheaper rival Androids.

As I say, the S5 and S6 are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum and both have fared the same. I see my suggestion as the only way. Use the massive volume discounts that you can negotiate as opposed to a far smaller manufacturer like OnePlus and dare to put in all these features so that you stand out.

And the features have to be seen or heard of generally. It's no use increasing the screen resolution again when the average person is not aware of it. And if they are told by a salesperson, it's like "Meh".

But when the sales person says "It comes standard with 128GB hard drive plus SD card", that is understood by all. When the sales person says it has a front flash, it has a much more powerful xenon flash, that is understood by all. When the sales person says it has a certain large capacity battery that you can use heavily and not run out for one day, that is understood by all. Unfortunately, the whoopee 8 core processor is not understood by most and cannot really be even demonstrated.

So, lots and lots of usable well known and understood features outclassing all others, and the biggest battery life. Features that as a complete package dare not be put in a single phone by any other manufacturer. That is my suggestion to stave off Apple and the emerging successful cheaper rival Androids. But I guarantee that if Samsung continues its present course, it will go down like Nokia and Blackberry like this article suggests. As I say, Samsung can negotiate components cheaper than other manufacturers because of its high volume sales. So they need to exploit that one advantage they have.

The market leading iphones aren't brimming with all the highest specs in their phones. Their specs are actually backwards in many ways and don't have some common features such as wireless charging and IR blasters. So Samsung, take a leaf out of Apples book. Do a modest only amount of further technical innovations in each new phone. Concentrate on giving as much as possible for the best price out of existing excellent features. Your next phone does not need a 4K display, 5 GB RAM, 12 core processor etc.

OH and P.S. I have thought about this often but have been afraid to say it for fear of sounding like a crazy person. You know how the Note series has s retractable S pen. What about bring back a feature of old but modified. A neatly concealed retractable antenna? One that you can push neatly back in when not needed. How many times do people have poor reception when they travel out and about? I think this would be a boon for a lot of poeple.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: leaked Note 5 rugged case diagram suggest that the Note 5 will NOT have removable battery. :(

Who cares if it doesn't have a removable battery if it's bigger than the current one and lasts longer? Unless there's a power outage or you are just not around an outlet all day, what's the big deal? If people complain about 8 hours of screen on time not being enough, you will never please everyone.

I've honestly never heard anyone complain about 8 hours SOT ... that said, I agree that not having removable battery isn't the worst thing in the world IF we saw this energy efficient, small battery, thin phone bull**** trend come to an end. IF doze lives up to the hype and we started seeing a minimum of 4000 mAh I'd be satisfied, but a 3000 mAh or less sealed battery with a 1440p display just isn't cutting it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2