Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
At Raddichio, those of us Note owners that are genuinely heartbroken (I'm not quite in that crowd) over the loss of takeoutable (smile) battery and card will learn to live and be just fine. It'll take some getting used and Samsung knows this. In a couple of years (if not sooner) we'll have adjusted and be back to loving what the Note can do again. It may save me some money this year as I might not want to abandon my Note 4 just yet. Perhaps, though, perhaps, the Note 5 will have some niftiness that my Note 4 lacks. We'll see tomorrow.

Sent from the Elegance

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
For those of us that use our Notes for business the MicroSD card removed is a problem for some of us. We can not use the Cloud for Business and High Risk information. Must use MicroSD. Those that use it for just a phone ,and social networking. Then they would not have an issue with MicroSD missing. Like I said earlier I have an 128GB card full off movies and another 128GB for work information. All Encrypted.

Sent from my GNOTE4 using Tapatalk

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
For those of us that use our Notes for business the MicroSD card removed is a problem for some of us. We can not use the Cloud for Business and High Risk information. Must use MicroSD. Those that use it for just a phone ,and social networking. Then they would not have an issue with MicroSD missing. Like I said earlier I have an 128GB card full off movies and another 128GB for work information. All Encrypted.

Unless you are using KNOX, I can understand this
But I don't know why people are so scared of using the cloud. People think that anyone will be able to access your information.
We use Dropbox business in our law firm and it has worked flawlessly for us. Makes everything so much easier, and nothing has happened to the information.

I wouldn't suggest keeping 128GB full of work information on a MicroSD card because it can easily be stolen, lost, or damaged. I think thats worst than saving it on the cloud.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm a small business owner and have been storing all my files on Onedrive, Drop Box, and Google Drive for the last 10+ years. After losing all my files when my work desktop died I decided to go to the cloud. I do have a server at my office where I store payroll, personnel, and Quicken files for a little added security. I've never had any issues with any of my cloud services and rather enjoy being able to access those files from any location I happen to be at.

jefmoody

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't see the big problem about the Note losing the SD function and removable battery. Before I went to the iPhone 4, I had the Motorola Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate and I always lost or misplaced my SD cards. I have the iPhone 6+ now with the 128GB feature. I have over 3,700+ photos, 140+ videos, 4 movies and 350+ songs and I'm like 30%-35% from reaching the maximum capacity.

Also with the in closed battery not only is Samsung going in this direction but other companies are too such as HTC, Motorola, Apple, and Windows. LG will soon follow suit and I think a lot of people should just accept that.

I'll not accept it nor will I stand down...What a loser mentality that is! It doesn't matter to me if some don't understand why. I will have what I want and will not be forced to lose features important to me. I don't need to pay extra for 128 Gigs on the phone when my Class 10 Micro SD moves from phone to phone (or even a tablet, laptop or PC - my choice). You can spend your money on whatever you want and I will exercise my right to do the same!

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm a small business owner and have been storing all my files on Onedrive, Drop Box, and Google Drive for the last 10+ years. After losing all my files when my work desktop died I decided to go to the cloud. I do have a server at my office where I store payroll, personnel, and Quicken files for a little added security. I've never had any issues with any of my cloud services and rather enjoy being able to access those files from any location I happen to be at.

And, the interesting bit is that if you practice good security for your cloud storage solutions they are going to be much more secure than even a well managed local computer. And vastly more reliable.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

Most, if not all, businesses that deal in "high risk" information prohibit it from being stored on any consumer grade removable media. Having it on your SD card in a phone you carry around (even if encrypted) is not, as they say, a best practice :) And, at many firms, it will get you fired.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'll not accept it nor will I stand down...What a loser mentality that is! It doesn't matter to me if some don't understand why. I will have what I want and will not be forced to lose features important to me. I don't need to pay extra for 128 Gigs on the phone when my Class 10 Micro SD moves from phone to phone (or even a tablet, laptop or PC - my choice). You can spend your money on whatever you want and I will exercise my right to do the same!

You can only fight it for so long. If all OEMs stop producing phones with removable batteries and storage you can either adapt or never get a new phone.

Sent from the Elegance

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
At Raddichio, those of us Note owners that are genuinely heartbroken (I'm not quite in that crowd) over the loss of takeoutable (smile) battery and card will learn to live and be just fine. It'll take some getting used and Samsung knows this. In a couple of years (if not sooner) we'll have adjusted and be back to loving what the Note can do again. It may save me some money this year as I might not want to abandon my Note 4 just yet. Perhaps, though, perhaps, the Note 5 will have some niftiness that my Note 4 lacks. We'll see tomorrow.

Sent from the Elegance
The storage seems the main issue. There should be 256gb options for people that does not require a second mortgage :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The storage seems the main issue. There should be 256gb options for people that does not require a second mortgage :)

There just may be a 256GB option one day just like Apple has a $10,000 Apple watch for those that want it. I can't imagine paying, what, $1,100+ for a 256GB phone but some might be fine with that. TBH, 64-128GB would be more than adequate for my uses.

Sent from the Elegance

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And, the interesting bit is that if you practice good security for your cloud storage solutions they are going to be much more secure than even a well managed local computer. And vastly more reliable.
No comparison to local storage availability. Cloud requires a data connection and uses more battery. Nice as an option, but not as practical. Have carriers offer unlimited data again so people are not relying on public WiFi or burning their criminally overpriced data caps :)

I wonder if folks appreciate those caps and their presenting to the FCC is years old and based on 2G, 2.5G and some amount of 3G aggregate usage history?

Well before the commonality of the cloud, LTE and hidef content the carriers and content providers push now.

clasi86

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I agree with you. I didn`t understand the complain about the SD card, as I didn`t understand why some people are saying they will not buy the Note 5 because of the non removable battery. I own a phone with non removable battery and I can say I like the design of such phones more then I like the old ones. We are in a continue development, so we must understand why phones and technology are changing that much. Instead of wasting time asking why, we could find solutions how to get used with the new apps and devices.

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Agreed... I find it kind of disturbing how many people are just in the camp of 'shut up and take it.' Especially those who don't want or see the need for removable sd/battery/ir/fingerprint/forward facing camera <insert name of technology you don't personally use here>. There are plenty of technologies included in devices I own that I never use... but I'll grant that others deem important. That's fine with me.

I also see how others want a "nice" looking device. Though we all have our different definitions of nice. To me a nice looking engine in a car is one that is laid out well and relatively easy to access to components to be modified, tweaked or upgraded; but to each their own.

Plus, I can see how sealed battery and no SD might be actually be useful if we're talking about a waterproof device or actually had some real world tangible benefit, but I've yet to see it being worth the tradeoff. Much of the SD slowdown stuff, I believe, is FUD... especially since most aren't talking about needing to run apps from SD card... most simply want external storage. So are we saying usb-otg will no longer work with these devices? How about the wi-fi tethering usb sticks? I'm not saying I have all the answers here, but the engineering geniuses at these companies shouldn't have to search too hard to find a way to get on board removable/upgradable storage to work.

In short, I'm not seeing why so many people are so bent on shooting down anyone who uses the device differently than they do. And the concessions they would make for HAVING those features (basically you don't want SD card = don't use one; you don't want to swap battery = don't) are so minor as to be laughable. Most of us using SD and removable battery aren't tech neophytes... instead, may actually be ones that HEAVILY use tech (even cloud services and external battery packs and the s-pen which many Note users are apparently surprised exists.) Yet many of us also clearly see the other side doesn't have all the answers either. We don't need tutorials on how to use cloud services... cause guess what, I've got 25gb with Google (+ multiple accounts), 25gb dropbox, similar storage across BOX, OneDrive and other accounts. All of which I use regularly and rely on... I still like the option of having an SD card.

Will my voice shape the future of Samsung's decisions? Perhaps (and quite likely) not. But I can guarantee that that it won't if I say nothing or blindly keep buying it because its the new Android 'hotness.' (And yes, I have politely but firmly contacted Samsung through various support channels... I'm not just spouting in the forums.) Again, I don't expect anything, but I have told them directly why I will not be purchasing the Note5 and am actively investigating other options outside of Samsung's line. Companies also have the tendency to think 'if nobody's complaining everything must be fine'.

I left this discussion awhile ago because its like talking to a wall. But wanted to let you know others do feel the same way... I've just already stated my case several times now (and don't feel the need to keep seeing post after post from the same people saying 'Use the cloud moron'; maybe not quite so harshly - but that's the way it feels sometimes.)

I've stated what I want... I already use the cloud. I'm willing to walk away from Samsung should they continue down this course.... I'm even considering giving them another year to get it right (in my eyes.) To where? Anywhere... yes even others that have sealed battery and no SD card - Even Apple if I feel they fill a niche in some regard that I prefer... point is Samsung had my money all set aside ready to go - now they've lost it... I will abandon them if I feel they've abandoned me as a user. Argue all you want that this is where the market's going... .

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No comparison to local storage availability. Cloud requires a data connection and uses more battery. Nice as an option, but not as practical. Have carriers offer unlimited data again so people are not relying on public WiFi or burning their criminally overpriced data caps :)

I wonder if folks appreciate those caps and their presenting to the FCC is years old and based on 2G, 2.5G and some amount of 3G aggregate usage history?

Well before the commonality of the cloud, LTE and hidef content the carriers and content providers push now.

I am really upset that carriers removed unlimited data. Shows all they care about is money.
I would rather carriers throttle my unlimited data than giving me 10GB of shared data and charging me again if I go over.

As for local storage, I think that Samsung's EMMC flash storage is faster and probably better than MicroSD card, but me personally, I prefer not to save anything on the phone's local storage because I think it makes the phone run slower. I think manufacturers will want to start implementing MicroSD cards back into their phones once they make MicroSD cards that are much more faster and crash less...my guess

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You can only fight it for so long. If all OEMs stop producing phones with removable batteries and storage you can either adapt or never get a new phone.

Sent from the Elegance

That's a BIG "If"! As such, I'll consider how (and whether) to cross that bridge when I come to it, assuming it ever happens. In the meantime it's like my Verizon grandfathered unlimited data; I'll hang on to it as long as possible until it's no longer an option and my only recourse is to choose something else. In other words, we each need to decide what's worth fighting for and push back regardless of the perceived inevitably. :)

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

Then I humbly suggest you participate in the forums for devices that meets your requirements. Repeat posting here isn't going to change the cold hard fact that the Note 5 won't have expandable storage (or a removable battery, or an IR blaster, and will come with a smaller battery). For some those things aren't deal breakers. I'd guess that's what Samsung's counting on. But lamenting to people here with no power to change anything and saying without any evidence that Samsung's h/w changes will "be the end of the Note-series" seems a bit useless. The discussion forum masses rose up when VZW and AT&T first started locking bootloaders. How'd all those petitions, social, and e-mail campaigns work out? Sometimes you've just got to let go. ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

To save me the trouble, I have 2 phones
One with a MicroSD card for my music (Asus Zenfone 2)
And another without the MicroSD card as my regular phone (Galaxy S6....soon to be Note 5)
...you should get the best of both worlds!

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

Still, it looks like a bright shinny slippery toy. I don't understand the concept of making a phone of glass just to have to cover it a case.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Most, if not all, businesses that deal in "high risk" information prohibit it from being stored on any consumer grade removable media. Having it on your SD card in a phone you carry around (even if encrypted) is not, as they say, a best practice :) And, at many firms, it will get you fired.
Not for where I work. I work for the state. We use it for electronic signatures among other things. My whole office uses Galaxy Notes 3 and 4. We the people in my office with 3 will be updating to 4. I will just have to stick with my 4 longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781