Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This has always been the case. They're a company out to make money any way they can.

Well yeah, but before they tendered more to the customers...not its becoming less about the customers and more about themselves...they could gave a damn about the customers now

The only carrier that tenders more to the customers is T-Mobile. I have considered switiching to T-Mobile, but AT&T gets more exclusives

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been watching the discussion about the loss of the SD card storage and removable battery from a fairly neutral position. I've been watching the Samsung Note line for a while and wanting to get one. I admit I was disappointed when I started reading reports that the removable battery and SD card would not be included with the Note 5---but not as unhappy as those who have been using both features for some time and have come to rely on having them.

Depending on what we learn tomorrow, I'm willing to give the Note 5 a chance. However, I can understand the disappointment for those who have come to rely on the SD card and extra battery. I'll try my hand at a real-life analogy.

For many years I was happy with my cable TV's modest level service with analog technology. Then came the big changeover to digital. As the date for the changeover approached, I read a lot of information about what to expect. I really did not want to have to add a cable box---because I didn't want those extra monthly charges, but also due to the extra clutter around the TV and because I didn't want yet another remote to deal with. So when I read that if I got a cable ready TV with QAM no box would be needed for my level of service, I was delighted. Since my TV at that time was quite old, I didn't mind buying another TV with the QAM tuner. That worked fine for a few months until the cable company announced that they would now be scrambling all the channels, even those on the lower tier offerings (which I used happily). Did I understand why the cable company was doing this? Yes! Did I like it? Absolutely not!! Now we have to have a box for each TV and have to pay a monthly fee for those boxes to use on our various TVs. Not having to deal with or pay for the boxes used to be an advantage of cable TV over satellite TV, but no more. To me, that corresponds with how people who have been happily using the Note series phones for a while must feel about the Note 5.

I know some of you are thinking, "But you have so much better signal with digital, not to mention the advantage of HDTV!!! First, my signal is not better, IMHO---if there is the slightest problem, you lose the signal all together and we also have problems when the weather gets very hot. Second, I'm not a big TV watcher---although I do like to see sports---so I've never cared about HDTV.

At the same time, I don't rant about the cable company and what it should have done. As negatively as many people view the company (Comcast), they still use their services and Comcast continues to profit. I accept (even if I don't like it) that companies exist to make a profit and listen to customer input only to the extent that they HAVE to---otherwise decisions are made based on what will increase their bottom line.

So, while I sympathize and even agree somewhat with those who are upset to see the SD card and removable battery disappear, I don't expect Samsung to really care or be affected by the negative reactions.
But what if you had more than one provider? would you give up, say The Disney channels, to get otherwise more of a service you are wanting?
that's kind of where I'm at. I'll keep the big screen, lose the stylus, get a faster processor.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah, but before they tendered more to the customers...not its becoming less about the customers and more about themselves...they could gave a damn about the customers now

The only carrier that tenders more to the customers is T-Mobile. I have considered switiching to T-Mobile, but AT&T gets more exclusives

They only used to act like that since Landlines were a thing and cell companies weren't as "needed" as today. Now that everyone needs it they are like any other ISP .. $$.

Just have to weigh out what works. I use T-Mobile mainly due to them working in my area, they're cheap ($50 a month.. got the 2 line / $100 deal), and of course unlimited data so I can stream whatever. The day I don't need unlimited I will probably go to Verizon.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

Still, it looks like a bright shinny slippery toy. I don't understand the concept of making a phone of glass just to have to cover it a case.

When OEMs don't use more premium materials the press notes and whines that they're not using more premium materials. That doesn't mean you have to make the back of the phone out of Gorilla glass though (but I have no problem with that). I still don't understand what was wrong with the Note 4's design language and materials. If the S6 had the S6 Active's battery I may have been inclined to consider it, it's glass back isn't that bad.

Sent from the Elegance

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Forgive the digression, but I really like TMO these days. And with VOIP providers you can also get a real cheap landline.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been watching the discussion about the loss of the SD card storage and removable battery from a fairly neutral position. I've been watching the Samsung Note line for a while and wanting to get one. I admit I was disappointed when I started reading reports that the removable battery and SD card would not be included with the Note 5---but not as unhappy as those who have been using both features for some time and have come to rely on having them.

Depending on what we learn tomorrow, I'm willing to give the Note 5 a chance. However, I can understand the disappointment for those who have come to rely on the SD card and extra battery. I'll try my hand at a real-life analogy.

For many years I was happy with my cable TV's modest level service with analog technology. Then came the big changeover to digital. As the date for the changeover approached, I read a lot of information about what to expect. I really did not want to have to add a cable box---because I didn't want those extra monthly charges, but also due to the extra clutter around the TV and because I didn't want yet another remote to deal with. So when I read that if I got a cable ready TV with QAM no box would be needed for my level of service, I was delighted. Since my TV at that time was quite old, I didn't mind buying another TV with the QAM tuner. That worked fine for a few months until the cable company announced that they would now be scrambling all the channels, even those on the lower tier offerings (which I used happily). Did I understand why the cable company was doing this? Yes! Did I like it? Absolutely not!! Now we have to have a box for each TV and have to pay a monthly fee for those boxes to use on our various TVs. Not having to deal with or pay for the boxes used to be an advantage of cable TV over satellite TV, but no more. To me, that corresponds with how people who have been happily using the Note series phones for a while must feel about the Note 5.

I know some of you are thinking, "But you have so much better signal with digital, not to mention the advantage of HDTV!!! First, my signal is not better, IMHO---if there is the slightest problem, you lose the signal all together and we also have problems when the weather gets very hot. Second, I'm not a big TV watcher---although I do like to see sports---so I've never cared about HDTV.

At the same time, I don't rant about the cable company and what it should have done. As negatively as many people view the company (Comcast), they still use their services and Comcast continues to profit. I accept (even if I don't like it) that companies exist to make a profit and listen to customer input only to the extent that they HAVE to---otherwise decisions are made based on what will increase their bottom line.

So, while I sympathize and even agree somewhat with those who are upset to see the SD card and removable battery disappear, I don't expect Samsung to really care or be affected by the negative reactions.
Bad analogy buddy. SD card you can do without and isn't going to make you go "that's awesome!". HD on a 60+" screen will

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll never understand how Verizon is #1
- Slow customer service
- Slow updates
- Limits extra features on their phones even more than other carriers
- Hardly gets any exclusive phones

Easy - Network Coverage. Also their phones are usually the cheapest full price whereas AT&T usually has the most expensive.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Syspry,
Like everything else, that's subjective. As noted, I'm not a big TV watcher. I was also using this to illustrate that I disliked the onset of digital TV because I had been accustomed to better reception, the limited repertoire of channels in the package I'd chosen, and especially no boxes and no extra fees. I have seen 60" HDTV and it's just too big for me and my needs. Mostly the analogy was to commiserate with those who have enjoyed the SD card and removable battery and had it taken away---much like analog cable for me. Whether one is better or worse than the other depends on your point of view and what you want to get out of your TV watching/smartphone.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll never understand how Verizon is #1
- Slow customer service
- Slow updates
- Limits extra features on their phones even more than other carriers
- Hardly gets any exclusive phones

Like Almeuit says, it about the Network. Best coverage, and for me the best data access. YMMV ...

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Whatever happens tomorrow, I'll be prepared to read the AC Blog describing the event. I'm on the fence about the Note 5. I have taken out my 32GB SD Card out of my 32GB phone, and it would be Nice to have the Option of a SD Card slot. Most of my movies are on the card, others are synced to DropBox. I use Google Photos to backup my pictures, but it's good to keep them backed up on the card too. I don't know how much longer I can take with the huge lag and multiple freezes on this phone. I have less than than 70 apps installed, but I use all of them one point or another. I use Nova Launcher because it has the lowest lag. I clear out my RAM in the settings, and deleted apps I hardly use or believe are rogue apps. MY device is still lagging and freezing up. I am starting to think, that I need a 64 GB phone. I love the Stylus, I can't live without it. I bought a month ago, a 6800 Mah Anker Removable battery and it would be a waste if I bought a new Non Removable phone and couldn't use it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Whatever happens tomorrow, I'll be prepared to read the AC Blog describing the event. I'm on the fence about the Note 5. I have taken out my 32GB SD Card out of my 32GB phone, and it would be Nice to have the Option of a SD Card slot. Most of my movies are on the card, others are synced to DropBox. I use Google Photos to backup my pictures, but it's good to keep them backed up on the card too. I don't know how much longer I can take with the huge lag and multiple freezes on this phone. I have less than than 70 apps installed, but I use all of them one point or another. I use Nova Launcher because it has the lowest lag. I clear out my RAM in the settings, and deleted apps I hardly use or believe are rogue apps. MY device is still lagging and freezing up. I am starting to think, that I need a 64 GB phone. I love the Stylus, I can't live without it. I bought a month ago, a 6800 Mah Anker Removable battery and it would be a waste if I bought a new Non Removable phone and couldn't use it.

Based on your storage use, seems a 128GB Note 5 would fit great. Catch is what the price might be and availability with your carrier.

Moto X Pure also seems interesting, since the 64GB model will be $500 and has the sd slot. If price is not an issue for you, the Note 5 with 128GB though appears the one to get. Note 4 rocks and no reason to expect the Note 5 not to.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Based on your storage use, seems a 128GB Note 5 would fit great. Catch is what the price might be and availability with your carrier.

Moto X Pure also seems interesting, since the 64GB model will be $500 and has the sd slot. If price is not an issue for you, the Note 5 with 128GB though appears the one to get. Note 4 rocks and no reason to expect the Note 5 not to.

Yea, I checked out the Motorola X Pure Style blog. Small battery it has, but maybe my Anker battery could work with it. There's no finger print scanner or stylus on that phone. I like that it is water resistant. I just don't think I can deal without the stylus. When I had a S4, I craved wanting the Note 3 because it had the S-pen. That came first on my list, screen size was second. I knew the phone was 5.7", but I wanted the S-pen even more. 128 GB is a lot, but in the end, I would have a lot of storage. I have AT&T.

I wish more phones came with a S-pen. That wouldn't be such a hard choice to make.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
i was too on the samsung bash camp for years and thought the death of the sd and removable battery would kill the brand. i was wrong, picked up my white s6 5 weeks ago and its easily the best devices ive had in awhile. i sure don't see people ******** about the nexus line which doesn't have removable storage or battery. people need to get over this.

the only downside i see for the note 5 is the 3000mah.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I checked out the Motorola X Pure Style blog. Small battery it has, but maybe my Anker battery could work with it. There's no finger print scanner or stylus on that phone. I like that it is water resistant. I just don't think I can deal without the stylus. When I had a S4, I craved wanting the Note 3 because it had the S-pen. That came first on my list, screen size was second. I knew the phone was 5.7", but I wanted the S-pen even more. 128 GB is a lot, but in the end, I would have a lot of storage. I have AT&T.

I wish more phones came with a S-pen. That wouldn't be such a hard choice to make.

That is a good point for reference. How many people use the pen verses using the sd storage more? Thinking it is not as heavy with pen-centric users as expected. I use the media on my 128gb card far more than the pen. For pen-centric users, the choice though seems obvious.

Most people are more attracted to the big pretty display and the pen is a bonus. All of the 5.5" devices sold like the iPhone do not have pens and sell millions as well. Wondering if Samsung hyping the pen as they apparently will today might not have the bang they expected and there might be dwelling on the card miss and the premium price for 64GB and 128GB models.

Status
Not open for further replies.