To wait for N5 or to move on an N4?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm moving to the Note series form an S4.
I'm impressed with the N4 and the reviews here and elsewhere.
The possibility of it having a removable back and memory isn't a deal breaker with me.
What IS a concern is that the 'kinks' getting worked out of something.
The N4 has had a year and had updates and, apparantly, runs smoothly with a good battery life.
There's a lot to be said for that stability.
That said, the N5 MIGHT bring something new and exciting to move into from the S4.
As of this moment, I'm planning to move to the N4 in the next month or so.
Unless.....I'm convinced otherwise to wait. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would wait. I am not saying the Note 4 is bad -- it definitely isn't. That phone is pretty beast mode... but since it is so close to the Note 5 release (a few months) I would wait to see what they have to offer. If it is nothing crazy .. then nab the Note 4 ... if it is worth it mine as well nab the "latest and greatest". :).

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm running an S4, just bought an extra battery. .. that's five in total. Heavy user and am waiting on the Note 5 as the S6 has little appeal to me.

If the Note 5 is 'improved' with removable battery and SD card, I will most probably buy the Note 5 assuming the reviews are excellent.

If not. .. probably the Note 4 or another highly rated phone with removable battery.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm running an S4, just bought an extra battery. .. that's five in total. Heavy user and am waiting on the Note 5 as the S6 has little appeal to me.

If the Note 5 is 'improved' with removable battery and SD card, I will most probably buy the Note 5 assuming the reviews are excellent.

If not. .. probably the Note 4 or another highly rated phone with removable battery.
Dude, I feel ya.
I myself am a heavy user and it keeps me on my game keeping this bad boy juiced all day. One battery drain, Mophie to drain, external recharge and I"m good. That's insane. And really, my only gripe with this phone. It's amazing otherwise.

I am going to play with a friend's N4 and see if I can make the fingerprint scanner work. If it's botchy, like some say, I'll wait on the N5. The S6 has a new fingerprint scanner that works great. But, like you, I'm not that impressed with the S6 bedsides that new addition.
But, I'm sure the innerds will change some, faster, nicer, etc on the N5. That's ok.
but, what I've seen on the N4 impresses me sufficiently.
I could care less all the goodness is wrapped in a metal case ...It could be a peanut butter casing for all I care. lol. I put a case on mine because...I drop my phone occasionally.
Removeable back or card...meh, either way is fine with me.
I would project that the N5 would be faster, better processor, wrapped in a sexy metal casing like everyone whined about the plastic backs, until Samsung finally got metally with the S6. It'll have the better fingerprint scanner I'd think, again like the S6.
In a nutshell, I'm betting the N5 will be a big S6 with a sexy S-pen. :)
Which is all good.
But, I wouldn't expect they'd make earth shattering changes from the existing, successfull, Note.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
No issue, but I think it will help if we agree that when talking about the Note series, it's probably best to say Note3, Note4, and Note5 and so forth.
In many threads people misread N4 or N5 as Nexus4 and Nexus 5.
Even some who post GN5 have been misread as Google Nexus 5.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
No issue, but I think it will help if we agree that when talking about the Note series, it's probably best to say Note3, Note4, and Note5 and so forth.
In many threads people misread N4 or N5 as Nexus4 and Nexus 5.
Even some who post GN5 have been misread as Google Nexus 5.
Oops. I'm sorry. Lol. I've never owned a nexus , or even read about them. So I wasn't aware of the potential for confusion.
My bad. :cool:

svtalex

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
At 1st I thought he meant nexus 4 also lol!! But I'd wait. At least see what the note 5 is gonna be like. Then made Ur pic on the note 4 or 5. I have the note 3. So I'm getting the note 5 either way

Posted via Android Central App

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
At 1st I thought he meant nexus 4 also lol!! But I'd wait. At least see what the note 5 is gonna be like. Then made Ur pic on the note 4 or 5. I have the note 3. So I'm getting the note 5 either way

Posted via Android Central App

Again, I've never even discussed Nexus with anyone, so that possible abbreviation never entered my mind. :)
If my S4 battery life didn't suck so badly, and if I didn't know the Note 4 (spelled out!) had a much better battery life and many satisfied customers, I would absolutely wait on the Note 5.
So, they're to 'announce' it in September.
Wonder when it would actually be available, on VZW, here in the United States?

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Personally I would wait. I am not saying the Note 4 is bad -- it definitely isn't. That phone is pretty beast mode... but since it is so close to the Note 5 release (a few months) I would wait to see what they have to offer. If it is nothing crazy .. then nab the Note 4 ... if it is worth it mine as well nab the "latest and greatest". :).

I would wait to see what the Note 5 offers then choose between the Note 5 or Note 4.
That's what I'm going to do!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Again, I've never even discussed Nexus with anyone, so that possible abbreviation never entered my mind. :)
If my S4 battery life didn't suck so badly, and if I didn't know the Note 4 (spelled out!) had a much better battery life and many satisfied customers, I would absolutely wait on the Note 5.
So, they're to 'announce' it in September.
Wonder when it would actually be available, on VZW, here in the United States?

Yeah, it's not a big deal at all.
It's just funny how these things get confusing.
I was at work asking about the 5S, then they figured out I meant the S5.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Made the move and got the NOTE 4 today! They gave me an early upgrade when I went by to check on that fingerprint sensor. :)

jpkerr1

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. My S4 is still doing the job. Since it's MDK (yeah, I'm on Verizon...) I've been able to breathe new life into it running a Lollipop GPE ROM. But I still crave a larger screen. Thinking of getting a Note 4 on Edge and if the Note 5 is irresistible selling the '4 on Swappa and getting the '5. Probably keep the S4 as a backup.

slobkabob

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Same for me as well. Currently have the S4 and my contract is over as of a few days ago.

I'd like to move to the Note 5, but another thought occurred to me. I could possibly save a little money and upgrade to the Note 4 once the Note 5 releases. I imagine that the cost of the Note 4 would drop and it would be a major upgrade for me over the S4.

It would have to depend on how much better the Note 5 is over the Note 4, and if the Note 5 had a fixed battery. If it did, then I'd more than likely end up going for the Note 4 at that point and stick with it for the duration of a 2 year contract.

My other thing is that I don't quite trust newly released devices. I hear stories about defects and what not. I prefer to wait a couple of months and hope they iron out those issues as more units are manufactured. From that angle, getting a Note 4 in October (after the release of the Note 5) would be great as it's a tried and tested phone by then (even by now, I imagine). Wonder if anyone else shares the same concern.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Kind of my situation currently.
I sold my Note 3.

Will I buy a Motorola X 2014 32gb direct at a very good price before months end (I currently sport a Moto G LTE 1st gen).

So the Moto X is @ UK 269, new Note 4 from Amazon direct @ 419,
or
now that I am back in full-time work, I could get in early on the Note 5,

though I would hate to pay too much either outright or over 24 months.

I also think the S6, great though it may be, is overpriced.

I want / need a bigger crisper screen than my 4.5" led Moto G, though otherwise I am liking if more and more.

I think there are good midrange or older devices at less than half an S6/Note 5 price and they can be all I personally need.

1080p above 5. 1", 2gb + of ram, half decent camera, easy to type on - I could be good.

(I understand the limitations of the soon to be replaced Moto X but it's fine). Sony Z3+ (Z4v) is also in my sights.

I hardly used the pen on the Note 3, but was looking forward to using the pen on the Note 4 as it was miles better to write with. I could do now do without it tbh, so I am not a true Note - ophile pen wise.

Final point:

To be frank I would like a Note 5 to be in on the Android Central acrion from the start. The Note 3 forums and people were great. I have had little to do on the forums since November, and I only got Lollipop YESTERDAY for my Moto G (5.1), so I really didn't know what people were talking about, LOL.

I have been so loonneleee.

-----
BTW - If I bought a new stock Note 4 now (and upgraded later) it should have Lollipop pre-installed right?
(.. but that's more a European unlocked Amazon thing)

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Kind of my situation currently.
I sold my Note 3.

Will I buy a Motorola X 2014 32gb direct at a very good price before months end (I currently sport a Moto G LTE 1st gen).

So the Moto X is @ UK 269, new Note 4 from Amazon direct @ 419,
or
now that I am back in full-time work, I could get in early on the Note 5,

though I would hate to pay too much either outright or over 24 months.

I also think the S6, great though it may be, is overpriced.

I want / need a bigger crisper screen than my 4.5" led Moto G, though otherwise I am liking if more and more.

I think there are good midrange or older devices at less than half an S6/Note 5 price and they can be all I personally need.

1080p above 5. 1", 2gb + of ram, half decent camera, easy to type on - I could be good.

(I understand the limitations of the soon to be replaced Moto X but it's fine). Sony Z3+ (Z4v) is also in my sights.

I hardly used the pen on the Note 3, but was looking forward to using the pen on the Note 4 as it was miles better to write with. I could do now do without it tbh, so I am not a true Note - ophile pen wise.

Final point:

To be frank I would like a Note 5 to be in on the Android Central acrion from the start. The Note 3 forums and people were great. I have had little to do on the forums since November, and I only got Lollipop YESTERDAY for my Moto G (5.1), so I really didn't know what people were talking about, LOL.

I have been so loonneleee.

-----
BTW - If I bought a new stock Note 4 now (and upgraded later) it should have Lollipop pre-installed right?
(.. but that's more a European unlocked Amazon thing)

I am anxiously awaiting the Note 5 myself! I think it will offer some great features.
And then We can have some fun on the Note 5 Forum!!
👍😉

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
If the official unveiling is for the 1st week of September, the Note 5 will be out in October that makes it 3 months to go, though if you are in a hurry just wait for a couple of weeks, lot lof leaks will pop out confirming or not SD slot,battery removable, screen size,snapdragon...

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
As the original poster to this thread, I'm replying from my most outstanding Note 4.
I'm extremely happy with my decision to go ahead and get it and not waitnfor the possibilities on a 5.
I still think the five will be more like an S6/Edge. And although those are nice, this 4 has had the kinks worked out and runs wonderfully but not outdated.
I was hesitant about the larger size but turns out its just not that big of a leap and is very comfortable to hold, talk on and pocker the same way I handled and kept my S4.
The fingerprint scanner works fine for me. Sure, sometimes I might have to reswipe once or twice but that's not a big deal. It even works, if you set it up correctly, with a one handed side swipe of the thumb while you're walking.
I love the private mode.
I use the spen for cropping pix and writing on them or detailed scrolling if I'm into surfing something specific.
The camera... It still amazing Samsung.
The speakers are much louder.
The multi window is much more usable with more real estate.
Big enough to function as a reader.
Battery life is excellent. If I'm not at work, I can generally get a full day. Work drains my battery looking for a signal.
The ultra power savings mode is awesome as it turns your smart phone into a dumb phone for calls, text only when your battery gets low and extends the battery life for hours or days.
So, again, I'm very happy I went on and got the Note 4, on the Edge program.
Hope this helps someone with their decision.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
As the original poster to this thread, I'm replying from my most outstanding Note 4.
I'm extremely happy with my decision to go ahead and get it and not waitnfor the possibilities on a 5.
I still think the five will be more like an S6/Edge. And although those are nice, this 4 has had the kinks worked out and runs wonderfully but not outdated.
I was hesitant about the larger size but turns out its just not that big of a leap and is very comfortable to hold, talk on and pocker the same way I handled and kept my S4.
The fingerprint scanner works fine for me. Sure, sometimes I might have to reswipe once or twice but that's not a big deal. It even works, if you set it up correctly, with a one handed side swipe of the thumb while you're walking.
I love the private mode.
I use the spen for cropping pix and writing on them or detailed scrolling if I'm into surfing something specific.
The camera... It still amazing Samsung.
The speakers are much louder.
The multi window is much more usable with more real estate.
Big enough to function as a reader.
Battery life is excellent. If I'm not at work, I can generally get a full day. Work drains my battery looking for a signal.
The ultra power savings mode is awesome as it turns your smart phone into a dumb phone for calls, text only when your battery gets low and extends the battery life for hours or days.
So, again, I'm very happy I went on and got the Note 4, on the Edge program.
Hope this helps someone with their decision.
Good pointers, thanks. At this stage I have forgotten all I learned of the Note 4, and stopped reading the Note 4 forum.

Question of the silly variety: did your VZW edition have Lollipop 5.0 point something out of the box?
I wondered, like Jalopiejoe's experience with Lollipop on the Note 3 (Scrapbook and such) - if the Note 4 lost some of its original features with the update.

But it sounds like it's all good.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh please!
S6 was praised for a new design, what new design???
The ugly home button is still here, the ugly samsung logo too, the ugly cheap blue-black color too...
The back has been changed but not the face of the phone so I really hope samsung will really change the face with the Note 5 like they did with the back of the Note 3.
Samoled should be replaced too, the screen burnins are still coming back year after year on amoled

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
as a samsung s6 edge and note 4 user , i really like my note 4 better ?
reason ? no heat problem, larger battery , s pen , much more smooth

but due to the size of the upcoming note 5 , i really do not think note 5 will be a wall hugger

so , let us go for note 5 , or just a Chinese OnePlus ONE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair