07-22-2015 02:17 AM
100 ... 234
tools
    Although I personally won't buy note 5 due to sealed battery and lack of SD, I am not going to question Sammi's market research. They must have enough confidence to believe, based on s6 sales, that these changes are necessary sacrifices and will not significantly affect sales negatively.

If you are a removable battery and/or SD loyalist, AND you are a yearly upgrade enthusiastic, I can feel your pain.
    Yes, good point, although as a customer I'm more concerned with my needs than the metrics that Samsung will use to decide whether a handset is successful or not. There's a gulf emerging between what Samsung are trying to achieve in sales and what the customer actually wants.

Just because a Samsung customer purchases a Note 5 doesn't necessarily mean that they're happy with the removal of these two sought after features. It just means that they don't have a choice in buying a Note 5 with these features.

Anyway, it's all speculation at the moment.

Just to add, a lot of people won't be aware of the problem with a sealed in battery for a year or two when they try and go to sell their phone with the knackered battery. I'm fully aware that Apple have a procedure for getting your battery replaced in your iPhone. It's a pity that Samsung couldn't have been up front about this before selling this glass glued together which is never intended to be reopened.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    07-14-2015 07:51 PM
    Well said! The more info I'm seeing about the Note 5 the more I'm going to just hold on to my Note 4 indefinitely and hope Samsung comes back to their senses! If not, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next phone. Your loss Samsung!!!!!
    There are many more Note owners out there just like us. I really love my Note 4, but I won't "upgrade" to the Note 5. In fact, I consider it a "downgrade." In addition to not having replaceable battery and microSD option, the glass back is just plain stupid, especially since you can't just buy a new back cover. I'll probably hold onto my N4 to see what the LG G5 (G4 Pro) has in store for us. I could rant on, but I won't. I've ranted enough in other posts. It's just hard to believe that Samsung is not listening to its customers.
    07-15-2015 11:40 AM
    Yes, good point, although as a customer I'm more concerned with my needs than the metrics that Samsung will use to decide whether a handset is successful or not. There's a gulf emerging between what Samsung are trying to achieve in sales and what the customer actually wants.

Just because a Samsung customer purchases a Note 5 doesn't necessarily mean that they're happy with the removal of these two sought after features. It just means that they don't have a choice in buying a Note 5 with these features.

Anyway, it's all speculation at the moment.

Just to add, a lot of people won't be aware of the problem with a sealed in battery for a year or two when they try and go to sell their phone with the knackered battery. I'm fully aware that Apple have a procedure for getting your battery replaced in your iPhone. It's a pity that Samsung couldn't have been up front about this before selling this glass glued together which is never intended to be reopened.

LG is happy to have all the old Samsung customers, I'm sure. All they have to do now to keep us is to listen to what we want and comply.
    07-15-2015 11:42 AM
    Completely agree! Since I use my phone naked (only use a leather pouch for transport) was really hoping for a softer more rubbery type back that would "stick" in hand better than glass and which also would have a better feel to it. Otherwise, considering the size of a Note device a glass back will be slippery and could also add unnecessary weight. I'm also very disappointed that the Note 5 screen size is reportedly staying the same 5.7". Really wanted to see it bumped to 5.9" which would've been a compelling upgrade. Very frustrating to see Samsung moving in this direction with the Note series. To be frank I hope the Note 5 doesn't sell well and Samsung is forced to re-evaluate this path they're on and listen again to what we want and have grown to expect from a Note device!
    Exactly my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    07-15-2015 01:53 PM
    Mod Note - Some posts have been cleaned. Please keep the discussion civil. I like reading everyone's thoughts but no need to get personal. If you see something out of line -- slam that report button.

Thanks! .
    07-15-2015 02:23 PM
    I wonder if the rumors are true about the Note 5 coming out some time in August? I would expect us to see an event invite soon for the reviewers / bloggers if so. Very curious to see if Samsung stays on the "Power User" side of things (removable battery / SD card) since they like to advertise the Note series that way or if they will go more the S6 way.
    07-15-2015 02:25 PM
    LG is happy to have all the old Samsung customers, I'm sure. All they have to do now to keep us is to listen to what we want and comply.
    I bet they would. When my Note 3 dies, it would be a battle between Note 4 and whatever LG's offer would be. I personally likes AMOLED screen and pen function very much, but we will have to wait and see.
    07-15-2015 05:37 PM
    Although I personally won't buy note 5 due to sealed battery and lack of SD, I am not going to question Sammi's market research. They must have enough confidence to believe, based on s6 sales, that these changes are necessary sacrifices and will not significantly affect sales negatively.

If you are a removable battery and/or SD loyalist, AND you are a yearly upgrade enthusiastic, I can feel your pain.
    Agreed!
    07-16-2015 01:53 AM
    Well, not always. Samsung got rid of the waterproof/water resistant feature in the S6/S6E, along with some other features. IMO, they really need to market their strengths (sd card & removable battery) than to agree with Apple's marketing that plastic is inferior. Instead of their wall-hugger commercial, they should have highlighted the benefit of a removable battery.
    07-16-2015 08:17 AM
    Still doesn't show USB type C .

Source: Galaxy Note 5 3D renders show what the device might look like - SamMobile
    Attached Thumbnails Leaked photos reveal that Note 5 is going for S6 design-galaxy-note-5-3d-5.jpg  
    07-16-2015 09:04 AM
    It's not going to have usb-c. One Plus 2 will be the first, and I doubt we'll see another with it until the new Nexus.
    07-16-2015 11:05 AM
    What about the rumored lg g pro will it have it?
    07-16-2015 11:07 AM
    You don't really believe LG, or any company for that matter, is going to cave in to the demands of a few hundred forum users do you? They'll do whatever is best or the bottom line. If that means sealed batteries and no SD card slot, so be it.

Innovative is a good thing. Is it always the innovation you want? No. To give an example, I was a very heavy Samsung user until the HTC One M7 came out. I didn't like the Galaxy S3's physical home button but I decided to try it anyway. I hated it! So, I moved to the M7 and the to the LG G3 when it came out. Now, however, Samsung has added a good fingerprint scanner in said home button and I'm interested again.

My big question is what you will do once the remaining manufacturers go to no removable battery or SD card slot? Most are already going that way. Apple, Samsung, HTC (which still has an SD slot), Sony, etc.

07-16-2015 12:39 PM
    You don't really believe LG, or any company for that matter, is going to cave in to the demands of a few hundred forum users do you? They'll do whatever is best or the bottom line. If that means sealed batteries and no SD card slot, so be it.

Innovative is a good thing. Is it always the innovation you want? No. To give an example, I was a very heavy Samsung user until the HTC One M7 came out. I didn't like the Galaxy S3's physical home button but I decided to try it anyway. I hated it! So, I moved to the M7 and the to the LG G3 when it came out. Now, however, Samsung has added a good fingerprint scanner in said home button and I'm interested again.

My big question is what you will do once the remaining manufacturers go to no removable battery or SD card slot? Most are already going that way. Apple, Samsung, HTC (which still has an SD slot), Sony, etc.

It's not so much that I can't remove the battery, but more that Samsung can't remove it either! At least, as far as I'm aware, they're not advertising a set cost for replacing it. This translates to me that they have glued their glass panels together without the intention of it ever being opened again. At least Apple have a set charge to replace their batteries, and before you say it, I have a Note 4, and never owned an iPhone. But who keeps their phone for longer than the life of the battery anyway, I hear you ask? This is not the point. Instead of a disposable phone I dump in the bin at the end of its life, I like to be able to sell on the phone to fund the cost of my new one. Samsung don't want this. They would prefer that my secondhand phone buyer would have to buy a new Samsung from them. This is what annoys me. Yes, I don't want to lose the ability of being able to swap in/out a battery, but if these companies attempt to force me to dump my existing phone when an obviously disposable item wears out, then I will go to a manufacturer that gives me the option of paying a set charge to replace the battery.

Why do people always say "why change to a another manufacturer that does a sealed in battery anyway?". The point here is, Samsung are doing away with their only differentiating characteristics so with a level playing field, would I choose Samsung over another manufacturer? I'm not so sure. Does Samsung do software so much better than other manufacturers? I don't think so. I don't mean to be crude but I've said it before and i'll say it again. Putting a luxurious body on a Samsung phone, with its clunky Touchwiz software is like putting lipstick on a pig. It just doesn't work, and I'm a long time Samsung buyer from the S2 to my current phone, the Note 4. I find Touchwiz functional and it does the job, but it's not slick or optimised so doesn't warrant a glass body which cancels out two of its best differentiating features.

Ntchwaidumela and D Android like this.
    07-16-2015 01:31 PM

If all manufacturers do away with removable backs, etc., I'll deal with it then. I just don't see myself paying $1,000 for a device just to get the memory I need, and that I have to take to the shop to replace a battery (or have to send it back to the manufacturer).

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    07-16-2015 01:37 PM
    Why do people always say "why change to a another manufacturer that does a sealed in battery anyway?". The point here is, Samsung are doing away with their only differentiating characteristics so with a level playing field, would I choose Samsung over another manufacturer? I'm not so sure. Does Samsung do software so much better than other manufacturers? I don't think so. I don't mean to be crude but I've said it before and i'll say it again. Putting a luxurious body on a Samsung phone, with its clunky Touchwiz software is like putting lipstick on a pig. It just doesn't work, and I'm a long time Samsung buyer from the S2 to my current phone, the Note 4. I find Touchwiz functional and it does the job, but it's not slick or optimised so doesn't warrant a glass body which cancels out two of its best differentiating features.
    To be fair here ... many phones had SD cards / removable batteries before Samsung phones and people still left these phones to go to Samsung so saying "them taking away these features" will instantly lose the only thing Samsung had as a draw doesn't add up for me.
    07-16-2015 02:19 PM
    To be fair here ... many phones had SD cards / removable batteries before Samsung phones and people still left these phones to go to Samsung so saying "them taking away these features" will instantly lose the only thing Samsung had as a draw doesn't add up for me.
    Yes, others did the SD card/removable battery before Samsung, but Samsung usually had the Android best in class camera.

As far as flagship phones, Android is in a poor position right now. While android may be the most used phone OS in the world, a large percentage of that is low-end tier phones in lower income countries. The number of people leaving Android for iPhone should be alarming to the manufacturers, but I think most are too blind to see the writing on the wall.

There's a similar parallel between the rise and steady decline of digital cameras, and what we're seeing in the smart phone age. Granted, we're still on the rise for smartphone use, but the amount of new customers is shrinking, and companies are starting to feel the heat. Who would have thought Samsung would have a decline in phone profits just a few years ago?

I can tell you I personally know multiple people who have or are talking of a switch to Apple because of Samsung's ditching of removable batteries. They don't trust LG, and would rather go with another big name they know.
    07-16-2015 02:45 PM
    Yes, others did the SD card/removable battery before Samsung, but Samsung usually had the Android best in class camera.

As far as flagship phones, Android is in a poor position right now. While android may be the most used phone OS in the world, a large percentage of that is low-end tier phones in lower income countries. The number of people leaving Android for iPhone should be alarming to the manufacturers, but I think most are too blind to see the writing on the wall.

There's a similar parallel between the rise and steady decline of digital cameras, and what we're seeing in the smart phone age. Granted, we're still on the rise for smartphone use, but the amount of new customers is shrinking, and companies are starting to feel the heat. Who would have thought Samsung would have a decline in phone profits just a few years ago?

I can tell you I personally know multiple people who have or are talking of a switch to Apple because of Samsung's ditching of removable batteries. They don't trust LG, and would rather go with another big name they know.
    There will always be people leaving and coming back. To base it on a few people you know is such a small number. I would have to see a major impact on a large scale to agree. I personally even went to iPhone for awhile to try it out and see how it has changed over the years but it doesn't mean I stayed there. People like to sound alarms if one company has a few bad numbers here and there. If they pull an HTC .. Yes sound the alarms .. But other than that it is business as usual.

I also wasn't getting into semantics on the rise and fall of this and that. I simply was stating many phones had these features before Samsung yet Samsung got popular .. How? By what they did. So for him to say that this (the SD Card / battery) were the ONLY thing keeping people on a Samsung? I find that hard to believe.
    07-16-2015 02:55 PM
    I honestly don't like Samsung phones at all. But the phone looks ok. I guess.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    07-16-2015 02:59 PM

To me, it's not logical and doesn't make sense to switch to Apple just because Samsung is taking away removable battery and expandable storage. Apple has never had either one and iPhones are more expensive.

I took a break for the last year and tried iOS and have to say, it's not all that and a bag of chips. There's really nothing that I can say that I would miss when I return to Android. iOS, to me is very boring. Some of the reasons, like iMessage and FaceTime, aren't things I care that much about. Siri is cool, but isn't something I use as often as Google Now.

iOS is much simpler to use but certainly isn't a perfect os.

I'm due for an upgrade at the end of August and am really in a pickle. I really like all of the features of the Note 4 but really don't want to finance a phone that is a year old. The newer phones that have expandable storage don't compel me enough to buy them over the Note 5 when it comes out. If more phone manufacturers had an S-pen equivalent, then it would be a no brainier.

I really think Samsung is just trying to make money off of extra storage in the same way that Apple does.
    07-16-2015 03:14 PM
    Just read on article which shows leaked photos from a French site of the Note 5 showing sealed in battery and glass front and back.

Me and Samsung are soon to be finished.

Philip

Just read on article which shows leaked photos from a French site of the Note 5 showing sealed in battery and glass front and back.

Me and Samsung are soon to be finished.

Philip

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 utilizzando Tapatalk
    07-18-2015 12:44 AM
    It's been fun Samsung, looks like the note 4 will be the end of our relationship.

D Android and Preach2k like this.
    07-18-2015 08:47 AM
    It's been fun Samsung, looks like the note 4 will be the end of our relationship.

Without the MicroSD The GNote4 will be my last Samsung phone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    07-18-2015 09:13 AM
    Same here. LG for my android pick or back to apple.

07-22-2015 02:17 AM
100 ... 234