02-06-2016 07:46 AM
76 1234
tools
    I just got the tmo version of the note 5. I've owned the note2 , 3 and 4. I have the iPhone 6 + through Verizon ... so far the battery on my 6+ is doing way better that the note 5. I'm giving it able a week to settle. The other thing I've noticed is it gets hot. I'm hoping that too will not be an issue once the phone settles in. I decided to come back to the note because of the s pen and I really like this form factor. It's slightly more narrow than the 6+ and it doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket like the 6 + does. I will likely carry 2 phones but I might end up selling the 6+ and get the new 6s once it comes out. Best of both worlds!

Posted via the Android Central App
    I have been using the Note 5 you a day now and it feels like I'm getting back into my old Note habits again. The Note 4 was one of my favorite devices of all time but I went back to the iPhone. Starting to have the same feelings about the Note 5. Been using the s-pen constantly and learning some of the new features.
    10-09-2015 08:25 PM
    How are you coping without the likes of iMessage?
    I remember you posting that, iMessage was partly a reason you delayed trying the Note 5...

I have been using the Note 5 you a day now and it feels like I'm getting back into my old Note habits again. The Note 4 was one of my favorite devices of all time but I went back to the iPhone. Starting to have the same feelings about the Note 5. Been using the s-pen constantly and learning some of the new features.
    10-09-2015 08:55 PM
    How are you coping without the likes of iMessage?
    I remember you posting that, iMessage was partly a reason you delayed trying the Note 5...
    I'm on T-Mobile and they are now allowing full quality picture messages so that's been good. I haven't tried video messages. So far it hasn't been a big annoyance.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    10-09-2015 10:12 PM
    I was finally able to break free of Apple. I'm a smart phone geek - I've used Android, iOS, WP, and BB. But I always found myself back on the iPhone for one reason. My main purpose for phone use is communication with people - lots of people, all day and night. So the ease of the that communication is paramount for me personally. Let's face it, SMS is a dying art (70+% of the world uses messaging apps as their primary means of communication now). iMessage is a godsend. It's integrated beautifully into the SMS function. Texting is such a breeze. Sending your location, gifs, a complete history of all the pictures ever sent in each conversation, etc. The issue is that there is no one universal messaging app (Facebook Messenger is turning into that, in my circles at least). And when over half your contact list is using iMessage, it makes communication so much easier.

So in the last year, I tried jumping ship. I did the Note 4 and LG4. This is where my nightmare began. And I took this issue all the way up to Apple's senior engineering department. I was involved in many, many group chats. Most of which were all iPhone users. And here's the issue. Once you deregister your number from the iMessage server, you are able to send and receive texts to iPhone users individually, but all those group iMessage chats you were in? Say goodbye. You can send messages and the group will receive them, but any responses you will not get. The senior engineering department did some conference calls and got back to me and their response was "Yeah, we have no idea. The only way to fix it is to ask every single person in the group to delete the chat from their phone and start fresh." Which means every single person has to agree to it, do it, and then lose potentially years of history from the chat (dialogue, photos, vocal messages, etc). I told them this is an extremely unreasonable solution and they had nothing for me. So eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and jump to the Note 5. I still have my old 6 Plus and I keep it if I need to go back and find information, picture, and such from chats.

I've been on the Note 5 for over a month now and I'm in love. This is the first Android I've had that I didn't want to throw against the wall. The battery life is superb, and the quick charging is a dream (I have a Quick Charge wall and car unit). It's quick and it performs beautifully.

I put my sim back the 6 Plus the other night to try and go a few days on iOS 9 to check out the alleged bump in battery life, and after an hour, I was like "Screw this! I need my Note!" lol

There are still some things I miss about iOS. Little nuisances baked in that made life easier. But I'm slowly letting go of them. And the attributes of the Note 5 are making up for it.

I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in the S6 Edge+ though. The curved back and flat screen is an ergonomic dream. The Edge+ felt awkward in hand. And no stylus? For an added $100 on top? No thank you, sir, lol.

My only mechanical issue thus far has been the S Pen getting accidentally bumped, unlocking, and then sliding out. That S Pen detection feature is amazing. One night as I was getting out of my car, something bumped the clicker and the stylus fell on to the ground. Didn't even realize it until I was inside and my phone kept making this weird occasional beeping that I could not figure out. Finally noticed the stylus was missing and the detection feature logged the time it had disconnected from the phone and I was able to retrace my steps, due to that, and find it. Hallelujah!

jdfry15 likes this.
    10-10-2015 02:19 AM
    The stock android messaging app has an option that will let you know when something has been delivered and read and textra also does.
    Where is this setting?

10-10-2015 03:15 AM
    I'm literally sitting here with a Note 5 in my Best Buy cart right now. I keep looking at my 6 Plus and thinking about how much I'm going to miss iMessage. That's really the only thing holding me back at this point. I want to say that the features gained on he Note will outweigh the ones lost on the iPhone but the minute I get an error message when trying to text a large pic/gif or video I'm going to be upset. Damn you Apple and your wonderful iMessage!
    If you've been using smart phones long enough you probably felt a similar way about BBM at some point, but look, we're all getting along without that just fine. Sure imessage is good, but it's just a messenger app, you'll be just fine without it
    10-10-2015 03:58 AM
    Where is this setting?

Yeah...where is this setting at?

10-10-2015 07:57 AM
    I suggest not letting any feature or app hold one hostage to a carrier or smartphone, or even a device. Period!
    Prince_Poppycock and cwbcpa like this.
    10-10-2015 08:31 AM
    I'm on T-Mobile and they are now allowing full quality picture messages so that's been good. I haven't tried video messages. So far it hasn't been a big annoyance.
    Does the other person have to be on T-Mo too for the full quality picture messages to work? That's part of my dilemma and a big part of what keeps my using my iPhone for iMessage.
    10-10-2015 08:30 PM
    Yeah...where is this setting at?

In textra settings all the way at the bottom

Attached Thumbnails iPhone 6+ user switching to Note 5-1183.jpg  
    10-10-2015 10:31 PM
    Does the other person have to be on T-Mo too for the full quality picture messages to work? That's part of my dilemma and a big part of what keeps my using my iPhone for iMessage.
    Eddster likes this.
    10-10-2015 11:06 PM
    Thanks. That's pretty sweet.
    10-10-2015 11:24 PM
    In textra settings all the way at the bottom

Note that this only shows you that the message was delivered, not read by the recipient
    10-11-2015 12:46 AM
    What features do you miss from iOS?
    10-11-2015 09:51 AM
    I was finally able to break free of Apple. I'm a smart phone geek - I've used Android, iOS, WP, and BB. But I always found myself back on the iPhone for one reason. My main purpose for phone use is communication with people - lots of people, all day and night. So the ease of the that communication is paramount for me personally. Let's face it, SMS is a dying art (70+% of the world uses messaging apps as their primary means of communication now). iMessage is a godsend. It's integrated beautifully into the SMS function. Texting is such a breeze. Sending your location, gifs, a complete history of all the pictures ever sent in each conversation, etc. The issue is that there is no one universal messaging app (Facebook Messenger is turning into that, in my circles at least). And when over half your contact list is using iMessage, it makes communication so much easier.

So in the last year, I tried jumping ship. I did the Note 4 and LG4. This is where my nightmare began. And I took this issue all the way up to Apple's senior engineering department. I was involved in many, many group chats. Most of which were all iPhone users. And here's the issue. Once you deregister your number from the iMessage server, you are able to send and receive texts to iPhone users individually, but all those group iMessage chats you were in? Say goodbye. You can send messages and the group will receive them, but any responses you will not get. The senior engineering department did some conference calls and got back to me and their response was "Yeah, we have no idea. The only way to fix it is to ask every single person in the group to delete the chat from their phone and start fresh." Which means every single person has to agree to it, do it, and then lose potentially years of history from the chat (dialogue, photos, vocal messages, etc). I told them this is an extremely unreasonable solution and they had nothing for me. So eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and jump to the Note 5. I still have my old 6 Plus and I keep it if I need to go back and find information, picture, and such from chats.

I've been on the Note 5 for over a month now and I'm in love. This is the first Android I've had that I didn't want to throw against the wall. The battery life is superb, and the quick charging is a dream (I have a Quick Charge wall and car unit). It's quick and it performs beautifully.

I put my sim back the 6 Plus the other night to try and go a few days on iOS 9 to check out the alleged bump in battery life, and after an hour, I was like "Screw this! I need my Note!" lol

There are still some things I miss about iOS. Little nuisances baked in that made life easier. But I'm slowly letting go of them. And the attributes of the Note 5 are making up for it.

I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in the S6 Edge+ though. The curved back and flat screen is an ergonomic dream. The Edge+ felt awkward in hand. And no stylus? For an added $100 on top? No thank you, sir, lol.

My only mechanical issue thus far has been the S Pen getting accidentally bumped, unlocking, and then sliding out. That S Pen detection feature is amazing. One night as I was getting out of my car, something bumped the clicker and the stylus fell on to the ground. Didn't even realize it until I was inside and my phone kept making this weird occasional beeping that I could not figure out. Finally noticed the stylus was missing and the detection feature logged the time it had disconnected from the phone and I was able to retrace my steps, due to that, and find it. Hallelujah!

What features do you miss from iOS?
    10-11-2015 09:58 AM
    @doctordwaynewilliams how's the struggle going? Are you settling into your Note 5 now?
    10-17-2015 03:12 PM
    @doctordwaynewilliams how's the struggle going? Are you settling into your Note 5 now?
    I've been doing OK with it. I haven't touched my iPad since getting the Note 5. I have had it for 9 days. The phone is really fast. I like the wireless charging. I have always liked using the s-pen. So I am back to my old ways with that. Battery life isn't the greatest. But I can't tell if it is just that the battery is worse or if it because I use my phone more now. When I had my iPhone/iPad combo, I never used my phone when I was at work or at home because I was on my iPad. That conserved my battery a lot throughout the day. Now I'm Note 5 all day for everything.

Note in my house!
    10-17-2015 03:38 PM
    So, the real trick will be in the next 5-6 days, once you're up to\past your 14 day return period. Ah, decisions, decisions...

I've been doing OK with it. I haven't touched my iPad since getting the Note 5. I have had it for 9 days. The phone is really fast. I like the wireless charging. I have always liked using the s-pen. So I am back to my old ways with that. Battery life isn't the greatest. But I can't tell if it is just that the battery is worse or if it because I use my phone more now. When I had my iPhone/iPad combo, I never used my phone when I was at work or at home because I was on my iPad. That conserved my battery a lot throughout the day. Now I'm Note 5 all day for everything.

Note in my house!
    10-17-2015 03:44 PM
    So, the real trick will be in the next 5-6 days, once you're up to\past your 14 day return period. Ah, decisions, decisions...
    Exactly. And I know how sensitive I will be. Any hiccup in the next week and I'm going to want to return it.

Note in my house!
    10-17-2015 04:11 PM
    Exactly. And I know how sensitive I will be. Any hiccup in the next week and I'm going to want to return it.

Note in my house!
    I've always said that iPhones are great phones, boring but great, I had the first 3, but once I moved to Android I've never looked back. I still need to work with them as I'm the IT Manager and I need to work with a couple of them but if you want to be sure that you made the correct choice buying the Note 5, just look at this thread and spend around 30 minutes looking at the YouTube video and I assure you you'll stay with your Note 5 even if you find one or two hiccups in the next days, the pros are waaay more than any cons you may find, and you will, no phone is perfect.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4755763
    anon(153966) and cwbcpa like this.
    10-17-2015 04:52 PM
    I'm in the IT field, too. My current position is the Help Desk Manager, and staying abreast with latest technology, as you know, is a must.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly...

I've always said that iPhones are great phones, boring but great, I had the first 3, but once I moved to Android I've never looked back. I still need to work with them as I'm the IT Manager and I need to work with a couple of them but if you want to be sure that you made the correct choice buying the Note 5, just look at this thread and spend around 30 minutes looking at the YouTube video and I assure you you'll stay with your Note 5 even if you find one or two hiccups in the next days, the pros are waaay more than any cons you may find, and you will, no phone is perfect.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4755763
    10-17-2015 05:45 PM
    Note that this only shows you that the message was delivered, not read by the recipient
    01-30-2016 11:14 PM
    Just came to iPhone 6s+ from Note 5. Android guy for years lg to htc nexus but my fave has always been Samsung! New Samsung device every year wo fail. My decision to go iOS was not easy!owned every Note phone but 4 was fave with removable batt & SIM card + Love customization, widgets and s-pen . Although going to miss android, there is a lot to be said about iOS Eco system, imess, smooth flow, FaceTime etc..Note 5 fun for awhile but also so many things that I think you may miss from iPhone too. I can see that Apple needs to get busy in several areas because android is leaving them in the dust! That being said, Apple can and will catchup in these areas a believe they will come to the table with a product that will work flawlessly and be as solid as their devices are known to be. I cannot tell you the number of android phones that I have had to have repaired/replaced in all of my years using them. Apple .. keep doing what you do best but keep an eye on the Samsungs and the rest of the android world. Good luck with Note 5, fun device but my prediction is...you will be back to iOS!
    Best wishes
    01-30-2016 11:37 PM
    Just came to iPhone 6s+ from Note 5. Android guy for years lg to htc nexus but my fave has always been Samsung! New Samsung device every year wo fail. My decision to go iOS was not easy!owned every Note phone but 4 was fave with removable batt & SIM card + Love customization, widgets and s-pen . Although going to miss android, there is a lot to be said about iOS Eco system, imess, smooth flow, FaceTime etc..Note 5 fun for awhile but also so many things that I think you may miss from iPhone too. I can see that Apple needs to get busy in several areas because android is leaving them in the dust! That being said, Apple can and will catchup in these areas a believe they will come to the table with a product that will work flawlessly and be as solid as their devices are known to be. I cannot tell you the number of android phones that I have had to have repaired/replaced in all of my years using them. Apple .. keep doing what you do best but keep an eye on the Samsungs and the rest of the android world. Good luck with Note 5, fun device but my prediction is...you will be back to iOS!
    Best wishes
    It's tricky. I go back and forth between those two devices. I can't seem to make up my mind seeing as though I currently own both devices. I went to the iPhone 6S Plus back in December and have been just fine. Decided to break out the Note 5 for a bit a couple of nights ago and have been playing with it consistently since doing so. There is just something about this device that is intriguing.
    01-31-2016 07:20 AM
    It's tricky. I go back and forth between those two devices. I can't seem to make up my mind seeing as though I currently own both devices. I went to the iPhone 6S Plus back in December and have been just fine. Decided to break out the Note 5 for a bit a couple of nights ago and have been playing with it consistently since doing so. There is just something about this device that is intriguing.
    So how does the note 5 compare to the 6 plus in your eyes I own the 6 plus with t-mobile and I'm currently using the note 5 with Samsung's test drive promotion and not all the way sure what I'm gonna do after this month trial
    01-31-2016 01:13 PM
76 1234