iPhone 6+ user switching to Note 5

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I've owned an iPhone 4, 4s, 5s and now the 6+ and this has been by far the worst iPhone I've owned. It has lagged and locked up on me on more than a handful of times among other issues plus I'm getting tired of dealing with iTunes. Anyways enough of the iPhone, I've been looking at androids for almost a year and should've got the Note 4 instead of the 6+ but I'm not a fan of Samsung's plastic look and feel.

I will be the first to say that I love the Note 5 look, that premium look and I'm a huge supporter of the glass back. My favorite iPhone design was the 4/4s because of the glass. It has that premium feel and while holding it, it just feels good in the hands. I would've gotten the S6 but after owning this 6+ anything under 5.5" just won't cut it. I could care less about the SD card and removable battery because hey I was used to that with the iPhone. My main gripe with the Note 5 picture releases is no IR Blaster lol of all things its that. I own a Samsung TV so being able to control my TV after my remote broke would've been awesome.

So is there anything I should know about the Note 5. Any cool features, tips, etc. Thanks

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've owned an iPhone 4, 4s, 5s and now the 6+ and this has been by far the worst iPhone I've owned. It has lagged and locked up on me on more than a handful of times among other issues plus I'm getting tired of dealing with iTunes. Anyways enough of the iPhone, I've been looking at androids for almost a year and should've got the Note 4 instead of the 6+ but I'm not a fan of Samsung's plastic look and feel.

I will be the first to say that I love the Note 5 look, that premium look and I'm a huge supporter of the glass back. My favorite iPhone design was the 4/4s because of the glass. It has that premium feel and while holding it, it just feels good in the hands. I would've gotten the S6 but after owning this 6+ anything under 5.5" just won't cut it. I could care less about the SD card and removable battery because hey I was used to that with the iPhone. My main gripe with the Note 5 picture releases is no IR Blaster lol of all things its that. I own a Samsung TV so being able to control my TV after my remote broke would've been awesome.

So is there anything I should know about the Note 5. Any cool features, tips, etc. Thanks

Just a few things:

1. No need to use iTunes anymore.
2. Have you gone to Apple and explained your issues?
3. The Note 4 doesn't feel a whole lot like plastic, but I get that it's a subjective thing.

I wouldn't get hung up on the IR blaster either, since you're ok not having it on the iPhone. I would be curious what Apple is going to do with the next iPhone before deciding on the Note 5.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
No I haven't gone to Apple about my issues. I don't have an Apple Store near me except going to Verizon and that's always pointless.

I've read some rumors of the 6s but the force touch isn't that big of a feature to keep me with Apple. I see there's finally talk of shooting 4k but they're 2 years too late. Ever since I got the 6+ last year I've been constantly looking at android phone notably the Galaxy series.

I got married about 3 weeks ago and some of my wife's friends had an S5 or Note and they took better pictures than my iPhone 6+ in a lot of situations.

Why should I get the Note 5 over the S6 edge?

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
No I haven't gone to Apple about my issues. I don't have an Apple Store near me except going to Verizon and that's always pointless.

I've read some rumors of the 6s but the force touch isn't that big of a feature to keep me with Apple. I see there's finally talk of shooting 4k but they're 2 years too late. Ever since I got the 6+ last year I've been constantly looking at android phone notably the Galaxy series.

I got married about 3 weeks ago and some of my wife's friends had an S5 or Note and they took better pictures than my iPhone 6+ in a lot of situations.

Why should I get the Note 5 over the S6 edge?

I think really the only difference between the is the S-Pen they're both going to be just as big and mainly of you've played around with the regular S6 Edge that's available now the plus will just be the super-sized version of it. The Note 5 on the other hand I think will be the better choice for someone who always has to have paper and pen in hand. I'm sure the camera will also be much better, battery life probably too.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Also when I plug my 6+ into my laptop to transfer pictures over, I have about 15+ folders to go through just to find the pictures I want to transfer over. Gets to be a pain cause there are several photos in different folders with the same number set so a message will pop up if I want to replace this photo with this photo cause they have the same description. Does the Note have this same issue or is it just one folder?

Also these iPhone features I will miss that hopefully the Note will have.
- iMessage....does the note have something where after I send a message I'll be able to see that it was delivered and they've read it?
- Visual voicemail....it's great just clicking on this icon to hear the voicemail without calling a number

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
The stock android messaging app has an option that will let you know when something has been delivered and read and textra also does.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
OP respectfully appears to have a bad device. Though I prefer Android, the iPhone 6 and 6+ are both smooth running devices, as per media reviews and my family that have iPhones. I wish Android was as smooth as iOS, but keep the Android feature stuff too :)

Still do not get the metal/plastic issue. Plastic absorbs drops better and more friendly to radio signals. The Note 4 is built well and looks nice- as per almost every review of the device. Catch is most folks put a case on a phone, so do not get the "look" concern if folks put cases on them.

BTW, if not putting a case on the glass covered Note 5, good luck!

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
OP respectfully appears to have a bad device. Though I prefer Android, the iPhone 6 and 6+ are both smooth running devices, as per media reviews and my family that have iPhones. I wish Android was as smooth as iOS, but keep the Android feature stuff too :)

Still do not get the metal/plastic issue. Plastic absorbs drops better and more friendly to radio signals. The Note 4 is built well and looks nice- as per almost every review of the device. Catch is most folks put a case on a phone, so do not get the "look" concern if folks put cases on them.

BTW, if not putting a case on the glass covered Note 5, good luck!

That is easily solved by putting a skin though. And still keep the same ergonomics of the phone. That's what I had to do with my Note 3 when I had it since every case that I put on the phone would make bigger than what it already was.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Visual Voicemail is available for the Note 4 on Verizon. If you like and need to use iMessage, there really is no true equivalent. Hangouts is a good alternative in my experience. As others have suggested above, I'd hang on to the 6+ and see how it works for you with iOS 9. The Note 5 may not be available for a hands on evaluation in stores until this fall, and reviews should start showing up around then.

I'm considering the Note 5 primarily for the improved fingerprint scanner and camera (compared to Note 4). But am concerned about a smaller battery. With the iPhone 6+, I have zero concerns about making it through a long day with moderate to heavy use.

Thanks for the reply back but both my wife and I are basically over Apple. Yes their phones just work but yet looking at their competition, they lack a lot of cool features like wireless charging, 4k recording, higher megapixels, better screen resolutions etc. Yes the 6s+ is rumored to have a 12mp camera shooting 4k but IMO that's 2 years two late. Why stick with the 6+ to jump up to the 6s+ when that phone just like the previous iPhones will lack further back with its competition with the lack of core features.

My wife has a Note 4 as her work phone and likes it a lot more than her 5s and my 6+. Like I said before I almost got the Note 4 and to this day I wish I had but it's a mistake that I won't make a second time.

Sure iOS 9 is right around the corner but if I remember correctly iOS 8 wasn't that much of a splash iOS update. Besides I don't know how much longer I can deal with iTunes and how they've integrated Apple Music into the music app was a huge fail.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I understand OP issues. I recently switched from an iPhone 6+ to the Note 4. Unfortunately no phone or ios is perfect. I've been switching back and forth between apple and Android here's my brief pros and cons for each

Note 4 and Android pros:
- Customization. Enough said
- easier to download songs or other media
-expandable storage. Seems like we'll lose it on note 5
- better integration with Google apps
-more choices of phones. Don't like samsung. Look at Motorola or Nexus, etc
-note 4 screen way better than iPhone.

Pros for Apple :
- runs smoother. If you thought the 6+ lags, I actually think my note 4 lags more. Just press the recent apps button on note 4 and you'll see what I'm talking about...
- better ecosystem. And apps generally crash less
- facetime and MMS better. My wife on iPhone 6 and me note 4, I miss facetime when I'm out of town and it was way easier sending pics and videos thru Imessage when everyone is on ios. We use Skype but Skype is a distant second from facetime
-faster updates of ios
-more developer support for ios. Especially games.
-more accessories available. Like note 4, hardly any good battery cases, iPhone 6 and 6+ there's a ton.

I'm the opposite of you. Love my Note 4 but tired of getting low quality pictures thru texts or videos with low quality and horrible video quality of Skype. Since my wife will never leave apple I may have to go back soon...

Posted via the Android Central App with Note 4

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply back but both my wife and I are basically over Apple. Yes their phones just work but yet looking at their competition, they lack a lot of cool features like wireless charging, 4k recording, higher megapixels, better screen resolutions etc. Yes the 6s+ is rumored to have a 12mp camera shooting 4k but IMO that's 2 years two late. Why stick with the 6+ to jump up to the 6s+ when that phone just like the previous iPhones will lack further back with its competition with the lack of core features.

My wife has a Note 4 as her work phone and likes it a lot more than her 5s and my 6+. Like I said before I almost got the Note 4 and to this day I wish I had but it's a mistake that I won't make a second time.

Sure iOS 9 is right around the corner but if I remember correctly iOS 8 wasn't that much of a splash iOS update. Besides I don't know how much longer I can deal with iTunes and how they've integrated Apple Music into the music app was a huge fail.

Not that anybody is going to change your mind (you sound like you have it made up), but Apple doesn't add features as quickly as other OEM's. This has always been the case.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the current iPhone. It has great battery life, a well calibrated display, a camera that was top of the line until the S6 and G4 (and now Note 5), and has zero performance issues. Why would Apple want to change that? They will do what they normally do with the S update, which is increase the performance, battery life, and maybe reword a few things as well (camera is rumored to be one), while adding a feature or two to compel people to upgrade.

If they add 4K support at this point great. I hope they do it better than everyone else though. The silly five minute limit stops me from using it on my devices that can do it. If Apple somehow manages to erase this limit it will actually be useful.

Again, you don't need to mess with iTunes at all. Everything will sync over WiFi and iCloud. I do agree that the Apple Music app could be much better. It's a rare miss for Apple, they usually do better even with version 1.

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I always felt something was missing from the iPhone 6+. It never felt as polished as previous versions, but regardless it is a great phone- without question.

I got rid of mine for a Note 5. I had a Note 2 and loved it. The only thing I truly love about the iPhone is iMessage. As with all phones it's a give and take- the best thing about the iPhone (to me) did not outweigh the numerous best things about the Note 5.

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I got rid of mine for a Note 5. I had a Note 2 and loved it. The only thing I truly love about the iPhone is iMessage. As with all phones it's a give and take- the best thing about the iPhone (to me) did not outweigh the numerous best things about the Note 5.

Totally did the same thing. And feel the same. Imessage is what kept me coming back to the 6 plus. It really does not work that smoothly and isn't the best device that people make it out to be. Stutters and lags more than any ios device I used before it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I always felt something was missing from the iPhone 6+. It never felt as polished as previous versions, but regardless it is a great phone- without question.

I'm literally sitting here with a Note 5 in my Best Buy cart right now. I keep looking at my 6 Plus and thinking about how much I'm going to miss iMessage. That's really the only thing holding me back at this point. I want to say that the features gained on he Note will outweigh the ones lost on the iPhone but the minute I get an error message when trying to text a large pic/gif or video I'm going to be upset. Damn you Apple and your wonderful iMessage!

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I came from the 6 plus. I would check out apps from your cable provider. I have uverse and can change channels through the app. I also picked up the gear 2 neo for 149 at best buy and it has the ir blaster. I'm impressed with the battery thus far. That was my biggest concern. The phone has been as smooth as the iPhone. I think the iPhone speaker is a little better and some apps look better one the iPhone. I'm extremely impressed so far.

Posted via the Android Central App

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm literally sitting here with a Note 5 in my Best Buy cart right now. I keep looking at my 6 Plus and thinking about how much I'm going to miss iMessage. That's really the only thing holding me back at this point. I want to say that the features gained on he Note will outweigh the ones lost on the iPhone but the minute I get an error message when trying to text a large pic/gif or video I'm going to be upset. Damn you Apple and your wonderful iMessage!

Jump! Jump! Jump!

I missed iMessage for about two days and then away I went. I had tried to break free from iMessage a couple of times and always ran back to my iPhone from Android. Now I've been on Android solidly for over 6 months with no go-back. What endeared me to leaving iMessage was the huge variety of messaging apps you can download and customize. I'm a paid Textra SMS user and I couldn't ask for better.

I hope your Note 5 goes home with you! 😊

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've read quite a few responses here; not all. On Tuesday, 25th Aug, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 5, and traded in my iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T Next program).

But, the question I have, which I don't think was covered here, was how to move music from iOS (iTunes) to my new fancy Android device?

Most of my tracks are .mp3 (a few are DRM, and I understand how that works, and that it wouldn't play on my Android). But, is there a music app or something that can import the tracks (Playlists) from iTunes to Android?

Thanks in advance
Ivan

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had an iPhone in the past and about a month ago decided to give it a try again. I bought the 6 plus and it is a really nice phone. I didn't experience any of the lag spoken about by the OP, it was incredibly smooth and fast. My two biggest problems with it was the way the iPhone handles notifications. I've become so used to the Samsung notification light that I depend on it because I don't carry my phone around every minute. If I leave for a few minutes or even leave it on a table to step outside or whatever, if there has been a call or text or whatever I always see that blinking notification light and, for me, that has become a critical feature. The other huge issue for me is that nightmare that Apple calls iTunes. It has to be the worst app that Apple ever created and there are really no useful work arounds to having to use it for music storage. I love that Android lets me store my music wherever I want, to add and remove music by just using a file manager etc.

As for the physical dimensions, I found that the phone 6 plus was just too big for me to handle comfortably but the Note 5 fits well in my hand is much more comfortable to hold and to work with it.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I've read quite a few responses here; not all. On Tuesday, 25th Aug, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 5, and traded in my iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T Next program).

But, the question I have, which I don't think was covered here, was how to move music from iOS (iTunes) to my new fancy Android device?

Most of my tracks are .mp3 (a few are DRM, and I understand how that works, and that it wouldn't play on my Android). But, is there a music app or something that can import the tracks (Playlists) from iTunes to Android?

Thanks in advance
Ivan

The google music app did it for me, my entire library copied over just install it onto your computer and it syncs with iTunes to pull that music into the google music app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49