iPhone 6+ user switching to Note 5

fruit2droid

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi bigjunior45,

Another iPhone 6 Plus user here. I have been a loyal fan of Apple for all of my life now, having NEVER tried an Android device until last Friday. I find the the iOS system was much simpler to use on an everyday basis, but there were so many restrictions to what I could do on it. Customization was very minimal on the iOS platform, and I felt that the software on the Plus was lacking the capabilities that other phablets had, such as split-screen multitasking and a 4k display.

Personally, I chose the Note 5 due to the S-pen stylus capabilities and the flat screen. The Edge never really made sense to me, and I was always paranoid that it might distort the viewing experience while watching tv shows. Transferring contacts from my iPhone to the Note 5 was a surprisingly simple experience, made easy by the SmartSwitch application. Most often, I use my Note for mobile entertainment and social networking. The incredible multitasking features are extremely useful, as I can watch "Game of Thrones" on the top half of the screen while messaging my friends in the bottom. The S-Pen capabilities are also impressive, and I have already used the Smart Select and Screen Write (full capture) multiple times. With the stylus, I am able to scrapbook images or sections by selecting an area with Smart Select, saving them for later reference. The full page capture is INCREDIBLY useful for capturing long lists, I've recently use it to capture the list of university courses I am registered in.

Ergonomics wise, Samsung did a great job with slimming down the exterior design. By reducing the size of the bezels, but maintaining the same ultra high definition large-screen experience, you have a device that feels much more comfortable in the hand versus the iPhone 6 Plus. Over time, holding the iPhone 6 Plus actually made my hands sore and numb, due the immense size of the surrounding bezels. Obviously, with Apple's "S" release, there won't be a more comfortable exterior change until 2016. As a beta tester of iOS 9, I was disappointed with its "improved" capabilities. Apple has begun to offer split-screen multitasking, but only on the tablet iOS for its iPad line. The only thing distinguishing the Plus from its smaller sibling is the ability to turn into landscape mode on the home screens. By leaving Apple, you will lose some of their beloved key features such as iMessage, FaceTime, and Siri. But, if you are open to a new experience, you should give the Note 5 a chance.

I did, and I don't regret it at all. I hope this helped you! :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I've read quite a few responses here; not all. On Tuesday, 25th Aug, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 5, and traded in my iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T Next program).

But, the question I have, which I don't think was covered here, was how to move music from iOS (iTunes) to my new fancy Android device?

Most of my tracks are .mp3 (a few are DRM, and I understand how that works, and that it wouldn't play on my Android). But, is there a music app or something that can import the tracks (Playlists) from iTunes to Android?

Thanks in advance
Ivan

Doubletwist is probably the best for that. It has a Android app and a Windows Desktop app. Works pretty well. Keeps any playlists too ..

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm literally sitting here with a Note 5 in my Best Buy cart right now. I keep looking at my 6 Plus and thinking about how much I'm going to miss iMessage. That's really the only thing holding me back at this point. I want to say that the features gained on he Note will outweigh the ones lost on the iPhone but the minute I get an error message when trying to text a large pic/gif or video I'm going to be upset. Damn you Apple and your wonderful iMessage!

iMessage is one of the few reasons I'm not switching back to Android. I loved the Note series, but as soon as I received low quality videos and pictures of my kids from my ex wife, I was extremely upset. IMessage and FaceTime just work too well.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I was an iPhone user as well til the galaxy s6 and I haven't looked back. I now have the note 5 which is awesome. Imessage wasn't hard to give up. Since everyone I know has Facebook messenger I send videos through that and honestly my pictures never send to iPhones as blurry or poor quality. You can transfer your music from iTunes to your galaxy by downloading android file transfer from the Google website. It works great, drag and drop. Literally transferred 1500 songs from iTunes to my phone in 5 minutes time. Display is hands down the best feature of this phone, after reading news, watching videos and just browsing you will like it. You will also learn many ways to customize and tailor things to ur liking, instead of apple telling you what they like and that you have to like it as well. I've customized the whole experience from the browser to my messaging app. Some features that i liked about iPhone I've made to operate like that and the new features I've found on android I've kept that way. But definantly give it a chance and don't get anxious to dump the phone because you miss imessage. Read the forums and ask questions about things and you will honestly look back and think why in the heck did I waste so much time with apple. Haha my 2 cents..

Posted via the Android Central App

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got the tmo version of the note 5. I've owned the note2 , 3 and 4. I have the iPhone 6 + through Verizon ... so far the battery on my 6+ is doing way better that the note 5. I'm giving it able a week to settle. The other thing I've noticed is it gets hot. I'm hoping that too will not be an issue once the phone settles in. I decided to come back to the note because of the s pen and I really like this form factor. It's slightly more narrow than the 6+ and it doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket like the 6 + does. I will likely carry 2 phones but I might end up selling the 6+ and get the new 6s once it comes out. Best of both worlds!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I just got the tmo version of the note 5. I've owned the note2 , 3 and 4. I have the iPhone 6 + through Verizon ... so far the battery on my 6+ is doing way better that the note 5. I'm giving it able a week to settle. The other thing I've noticed is it gets hot. I'm hoping that too will not be an issue once the phone settles in. I decided to come back to the note because of the s pen and I really like this form factor. It's slightly more narrow than the 6+ and it doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket like the 6 + does. I will likely carry 2 phones but I might end up selling the 6+ and get the new 6s once it comes out. Best of both worlds!

I have been using the Note 5 you a day now and it feels like I'm getting back into my old Note habits again. The Note 4 was one of my favorite devices of all time but I went back to the iPhone. Starting to have the same feelings about the Note 5. Been using the s-pen constantly and learning some of the new features.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
How are you coping without the likes of iMessage?
I remember you posting that, iMessage was partly a reason you delayed trying the Note 5...

I have been using the Note 5 you a day now and it feels like I'm getting back into my old Note habits again. The Note 4 was one of my favorite devices of all time but I went back to the iPhone. Starting to have the same feelings about the Note 5. Been using the s-pen constantly and learning some of the new features.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
How are you coping without the likes of iMessage?
I remember you posting that, iMessage was partly a reason you delayed trying the Note 5...
I'm on T-Mobile and they are now allowing full quality picture messages so that's been good. I haven't tried video messages. So far it hasn't been a big annoyance.

Infinite Owl

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I was finally able to break free of Apple. I'm a smart phone geek - I've used Android, iOS, WP, and BB. But I always found myself back on the iPhone for one reason. My main purpose for phone use is communication with people - lots of people, all day and night. So the ease of the that communication is paramount for me personally. Let's face it, SMS is a dying art (70+% of the world uses messaging apps as their primary means of communication now). iMessage is a godsend. It's integrated beautifully into the SMS function. Texting is such a breeze. Sending your location, gifs, a complete history of all the pictures ever sent in each conversation, etc. The issue is that there is no one universal messaging app (Facebook Messenger is turning into that, in my circles at least). And when over half your contact list is using iMessage, it makes communication so much easier.

So in the last year, I tried jumping ship. I did the Note 4 and LG4. This is where my nightmare began. And I took this issue all the way up to Apple's senior engineering department. I was involved in many, many group chats. Most of which were all iPhone users. And here's the issue. Once you deregister your number from the iMessage server, you are able to send and receive texts to iPhone users individually, but all those group iMessage chats you were in? Say goodbye. You can send messages and the group will receive them, but any responses you will not get. The senior engineering department did some conference calls and got back to me and their response was "Yeah, we have no idea. The only way to fix it is to ask every single person in the group to delete the chat from their phone and start fresh." Which means every single person has to agree to it, do it, and then lose potentially years of history from the chat (dialogue, photos, vocal messages, etc). I told them this is an extremely unreasonable solution and they had nothing for me. So eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and jump to the Note 5. I still have my old 6 Plus and I keep it if I need to go back and find information, picture, and such from chats.

I've been on the Note 5 for over a month now and I'm in love. This is the first Android I've had that I didn't want to throw against the wall. The battery life is superb, and the quick charging is a dream (I have a Quick Charge wall and car unit). It's quick and it performs beautifully.

I put my sim back the 6 Plus the other night to try and go a few days on iOS 9 to check out the alleged bump in battery life, and after an hour, I was like "Screw this! I need my Note!" lol

There are still some things I miss about iOS. Little nuisances baked in that made life easier. But I'm slowly letting go of them. And the attributes of the Note 5 are making up for it.

I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in the S6 Edge+ though. The curved back and flat screen is an ergonomic dream. The Edge+ felt awkward in hand. And no stylus? For an added $100 on top? No thank you, sir, lol.

My only mechanical issue thus far has been the S Pen getting accidentally bumped, unlocking, and then sliding out. That S Pen detection feature is amazing. One night as I was getting out of my car, something bumped the clicker and the stylus fell on to the ground. Didn't even realize it until I was inside and my phone kept making this weird occasional beeping that I could not figure out. Finally noticed the stylus was missing and the detection feature logged the time it had disconnected from the phone and I was able to retrace my steps, due to that, and find it. Hallelujah!

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm literally sitting here with a Note 5 in my Best Buy cart right now. I keep looking at my 6 Plus and thinking about how much I'm going to miss iMessage. That's really the only thing holding me back at this point. I want to say that the features gained on he Note will outweigh the ones lost on the iPhone but the minute I get an error message when trying to text a large pic/gif or video I'm going to be upset. Damn you Apple and your wonderful iMessage!

If you've been using smart phones long enough you probably felt a similar way about BBM at some point, but look, we're all getting along without that just fine. Sure imessage is good, but it's just a messenger app, you'll be just fine without it

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and they are now allowing full quality picture messages so that's been good. I haven't tried video messages. So far it hasn't been a big annoyance.

Does the other person have to be on T-Mo too for the full quality picture messages to work? That's part of my dilemma and a big part of what keeps my using my iPhone for iMessage.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Does the other person have to be on T-Mo too for the full quality picture messages to work? That's part of my dilemma and a big part of what keeps my using my iPhone for iMessage.
edeb3e35ae5bac0494e1413cf848cbee.jpg

shreff86

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I was finally able to break free of Apple. I'm a smart phone geek - I've used Android, iOS, WP, and BB. But I always found myself back on the iPhone for one reason. My main purpose for phone use is communication with people - lots of people, all day and night. So the ease of the that communication is paramount for me personally. Let's face it, SMS is a dying art (70+% of the world uses messaging apps as their primary means of communication now). iMessage is a godsend. It's integrated beautifully into the SMS function. Texting is such a breeze. Sending your location, gifs, a complete history of all the pictures ever sent in each conversation, etc. The issue is that there is no one universal messaging app (Facebook Messenger is turning into that, in my circles at least). And when over half your contact list is using iMessage, it makes communication so much easier.

So in the last year, I tried jumping ship. I did the Note 4 and LG4. This is where my nightmare began. And I took this issue all the way up to Apple's senior engineering department. I was involved in many, many group chats. Most of which were all iPhone users. And here's the issue. Once you deregister your number from the iMessage server, you are able to send and receive texts to iPhone users individually, but all those group iMessage chats you were in? Say goodbye. You can send messages and the group will receive them, but any responses you will not get. The senior engineering department did some conference calls and got back to me and their response was "Yeah, we have no idea. The only way to fix it is to ask every single person in the group to delete the chat from their phone and start fresh." Which means every single person has to agree to it, do it, and then lose potentially years of history from the chat (dialogue, photos, vocal messages, etc). I told them this is an extremely unreasonable solution and they had nothing for me. So eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and jump to the Note 5. I still have my old 6 Plus and I keep it if I need to go back and find information, picture, and such from chats.

I've been on the Note 5 for over a month now and I'm in love. This is the first Android I've had that I didn't want to throw against the wall. The battery life is superb, and the quick charging is a dream (I have a Quick Charge wall and car unit). It's quick and it performs beautifully.

I put my sim back the 6 Plus the other night to try and go a few days on iOS 9 to check out the alleged bump in battery life, and after an hour, I was like "Screw this! I need my Note!" lol

There are still some things I miss about iOS. Little nuisances baked in that made life easier. But I'm slowly letting go of them. And the attributes of the Note 5 are making up for it.

I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in the S6 Edge+ though. The curved back and flat screen is an ergonomic dream. The Edge+ felt awkward in hand. And no stylus? For an added $100 on top? No thank you, sir, lol.

My only mechanical issue thus far has been the S Pen getting accidentally bumped, unlocking, and then sliding out. That S Pen detection feature is amazing. One night as I was getting out of my car, something bumped the clicker and the stylus fell on to the ground. Didn't even realize it until I was inside and my phone kept making this weird occasional beeping that I could not figure out. Finally noticed the stylus was missing and the detection feature logged the time it had disconnected from the phone and I was able to retrace my steps, due to that, and find it. Hallelujah!

What features do you miss from iOS?