08-13-2015 11:03 AM
224 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I don't know about better battery. Didn't the S5 battery last longer than the S6?
    Well the S5 did have a bigger battery than the S6, and even so, the S5 lasted not much longer than the S6
    08-03-2015 11:12 AM
    Well the S5 did have a bigger battery than the S6, and even so, the S5 lasted not much longer than the S6
    Ah, ok. I haven't used either. Just remember reading posts with users saying that their S5 lasted longer.
    08-03-2015 11:15 AM
    I do not really use the pen much at all, but DO have my music collection and other media on the sd card and have no intention of having to OTG connect whenever I want to play tunes. Samsung can go jump off a Cloud before I depend on THAT over local content that needs no coverage area to access. Not to mention the cloud uses a lot more battery than accessing local content.

Paying around $1,000 for a 128gb Note 5 (whenever it ships) when I can get a Moto X 64GB for over $400 less and have 64GB more storage seems nuts IMO.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-03-2015 12:39 PM
    I don't think the cloud uses that much more battery that you'd notice, I'm sure it has to use a little extra. I'm a runner and I use Google Music to stream my music to bluetooth head phones and on runs over an hour doesn't use more than 5% battery on my HTC M8. Whenever I need to listen to something off line it only takes a few minutes to add playlist to my device storage. I also understand my methods won't work for all but I'm assuming it will work for the majority of people.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-03-2015 01:23 PM
    Agree, the powerbank in that image is rather thick. But unless you have a Qi wireless powerbank, you've got a brick or lipstick tube hanging off your micro-usb port. Doesn't work too well in a running armband or even jeans pocket (plus higher risk of damaging Micro-usb connector .)

Powerbanks are NOT the same as swapping out a battery.

And as for SD card... I get it, some of you don't use them and are happy streaming. Are you so opposed to options that just because you don't use something that it becomes the deFacto standard? I know people who don't use the camera on their iPhones - obviously should be removed from all future versions. Because, hey, you can just plug in an external camera (like the DXO one) into the lightning port and get better pictures.
    08-04-2015 07:18 AM
    Simple point is Note 5 does not have the slot, so consumers that want the feature can "speak up" about it through not buying the Note 5. Moto X is looking like a very good option and the Note 4 still is as well.

The Moto X's problem is the distribution model being used. This will impact sales by not using carriers as well, but got to admire the desire to try something different. Motorola is banking on consumers "getting" the new model and using it, but most are conditioned (at least in US) to buy at the carrier.

Added: Best Buy will help, but still a fraction of the total carrier channels. Update: Amazon is a supplier too. That helps!
    08-04-2015 08:01 AM
    Agree, the powerbank in that image is rather thick. But unless you have a Qi wireless powerbank, you've got a brick or lipstick tube hanging off your micro-usb port. Doesn't work too well in a running armband or even jeans pocket (plus higher risk of damaging Micro-usb connector .)

Powerbanks are NOT the same as swapping out a battery.

And as for SD card... I get it, some of you don't use them and are happy streaming. Are you so opposed to options that just because you don't use something that it becomes the deFacto standard? I know people who don't use the camera on their iPhones - obviously should be removed from all future versions. Because, hey, you can just plug in an external camera (like the DXO one) into the lightning port and get better pictures.
    I think many of us who don't have a need for large sd card storage (and, like me don't rely on cloud storage) are not disparaging those who do.

We are just trying to say that possibly that temporary option of a few years is now no longer viable for manufacturers technically, with new internal storage chips - or very possibly it's simply Samsung mistakenly decided to go this route this year with the S and Note and thjngs may revert next year (though I doubt existing cards would work).

It obviously hurts when some people say the cloud is the way to go and sd card uaers are weird, but that's just being silly.

If people want to pull up the drawbridge and put sd card diehards on one side and non-users on other to sling shots at each other, that may be amusing in another thread until it descends into abusive anarchy, but I won't be taking part.

Let's not be sensitive.
    Let's put the pros and cons of sd cards out into the open:
    why some people stupidly think heavy users are crazy, why heavy users think non users are crazy

- and the rest of us can accept different needs and different views on alternative storage, cloud use, and which way technology and the market MIGHT be going.
    mclarryjr likes this.
    08-04-2015 08:09 AM
    Pics of fully operational device have leaked:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/04...te-5-pictures/
    08-04-2015 10:21 AM
    Pics of fully operational device have leaked:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/04...te-5-pictures/
    This phone looks so beautiful
    3000mah is not the best thing in then world, but as long as its bigger than the S6, I am game
    anon8380037 and mclarryjr like this.
    08-04-2015 10:42 AM
    Looks like I'll be waiting for some rigorous battery life tests, and probably some subjective user reviews as well. I think a 3,000 mAh battery is going to be a mistake on this device unless they've figured out a way to tighten up the software even further (not holding my breath). An unlocked off contract Moto X Pure for half the price is looking more and more appealing heading into the official Note 5 reveal.

We shall see.
    08-04-2015 11:25 AM
    I want to be excited, but I'm not.
    I was determined to get one on launch this time, but work has changed again.

There's absolutely nothing there that excites. The only reason I would buy one over a Moto X Play or Style is the Amoled screen - but not at twice the price (I don't need much storage).

Right now it seems like a Note 4 on a cost cutting diet. It may seem nicer in the flesh.

I wish I had put money aside, not read any forums and speculation, and treated the Note 5 as an early Christmas present to myself, not knowing what I would find in the box - lol.

Ho Hum, 9 days to find out what we will probably already know.
    Preach2k likes this.
    08-04-2015 11:25 AM
    Looks like I'll be waiting for some rigorous battery life tests, and probably some subjective user reviews as well. I think a 3,000 mAh battery is going to be a mistake on this device unless they've figured out a way to tighten up the software even further (not holding my breath). An unlocked off contract Moto X Pure for half the price is looking more and more appealing heading into the official Note 5 reveal.

We shall see.
    Same size battery as the Moto X. The Moto X has none of the bloat, but the Note 5 seems a definite shoe-in for better display efficiency. 220mah less than the Note 4 battery.... Looking at Anandtech numbers, the power efficiency of the 7420 is no better than the 805 in the Note 4. Interesting, but does appear that the Note series shifted from function as priority and over to style.

The Moto X Pure is looking better as more is revealed of both. I would not have expected this AT ALL just a week ago, since at the time thought the Note 5 would have the sd slot, 7422 and a 4100mah battery. If paying for the device, not seeing how the Note 5 can be seen as the better overall option.

Note 5 is locked down / Moto X is unlocked
    Note 5 will be bloated / Virtually zero on the Moto X and straight Android 5.1.1
    Note 5 has rear speaker / Moto X front stereo that apparently sounds good
    Note 5 has no sd slot / Moto X has sd slot and can be purchased with 64GB internal.
    Note 5 has same design as S6, so same crack magnet / Moto X series is not glass cased
    Note 5 32GB = $750 (that was avg price of Note 4) / Moto X 32GB = $450
    Note 5 does have the pen though, for pen users

Seems a clear win for the Moto X from an overall standpoint at the same price, yet alone a $300 difference. The cameras (front and back) are apparently very good on this Moto X- another unexpected item.

Not seeing the Note 5 as a compelling offer and my last three devices were the S3, S4 and Note 4. Ironic, considering an admitted fanboy of those devices. Easily IMO the Note 4 is the best phone device created to date.

For folks that prefer style over function, I do not even think the Note 5 looks any better than the Moto X Pure, but look or style is not a priority for my devices anyway. Respect those that do though
    monsieurms and JawjaBill like this.
    08-04-2015 11:55 AM
    The Note 5 will also presumably include a fingerprint scanner and wireless charging, neither of which is on the Moto X. It's not ground breaking for me but these two additions will be part of my evaluation between the two devices.
    08-04-2015 12:21 PM

We shall see.
    Agreed.
    Remember though, the Exynos processor is much more energy efficient than the Qualcomm processor, so even if the battery is smaller than the Note 4's battery, it can possible last longer
    08-04-2015 01:01 PM
    Note 5 is locked down / Moto X is unlocked
    Note 5 will be bloated / Virtually zero on the Moto X and straight Android 5.1.1
    Note 5 has rear speaker / Moto X front stereo that apparently sounds good
    Note 5 has no sd slot / Moto X has sd slot and can be purchased with 64GB internal.
    Note 5 has same design as S6, so same crack magnet / Moto X series is not glass cased
    Note 5 32GB = $750 (that was avg price of Note 4) / Moto X 32GB = $450
    Note 5 does have the pen though, for pen users
    Your missing out on the other Note 5 advantages too

Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt
    Note 5 has 4GB of ram/Moto X has 3GB
    Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear
    Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores)
    Note 5 will have Samsung Pay/ Moto X doesn't obviously
    Note 5 has a fingerprint scanner/Moto X doesnt
    08-04-2015 01:05 PM

Note 5 has 4GB of ram/Moto X has 3GB - Advantage Samsung
    Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt - Never understood the appeal of this, is it really that much more effort to plug in a cable vs set on a wireless charging station
    Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear - f1.9 vs f2.0 will be negligable most likely, the real difference will be whether or not Moto has gotten their post processing software up to par
    Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores) - Should be faster, not necessarily indicative of real world performance
    Note 5 will have Samsung Pay/ Moto X doesn't obviously - Meh
    Note 5 has a fingerprint scanner/Moto X doesnt - Meh again
    Almeuit and MRS DIVA like this.
    08-04-2015 01:12 PM
    Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt - Never understood the appeal of this, is it really that much more effort to plug in a cable vs set on a wireless charging station
    Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear - f1.9 vs f2.0 will be negligable most likely, the real difference will be whether or not Moto has gotten their post processing software up to par
    Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores) - Should be faster, not necessarily indicative of real world performance
    Note 5 will have Samsung Pay/ Moto X doesn't obviously - Meh
    Note 5 has a fingerprint scanner/Moto X doesnt - Meh again
    Still if those listed features are more important than storage, front speakers and price (as example) to the user- that is what really matters
    The 808 is faster than the 805 that is in the Note 4. I keep my Note 4 in power save mode and most games play smooth and all play smooth with power saving off. Not seeing the losses worthy for a faster chipset I will not notice. Also, the 7420 is no more battery friendly than the 805 or 808 (per Anandtech). The 7422 though is apparently different, but not in the Note 5.

Also not seeing much advantage to 4GB over 3GB, since Android file management is not like a PC that would take advantage.
    08-04-2015 01:51 PM

Note 5 has 4GB of ram/Moto X has 3GB
    I had the 2014 Moto X prior to getting the Note 4, which has less RAM and an older processor than the Note 4. The Note 4 may score higher on benchmarks, but in actual use - opening / closing apps, transitioning between screens, scrolling, etc., the Moto X is way faster than the Note 4, and I don't see any reason why that would change now. Touchwiz really slows down the Note 4 relative to a near-pure Android experience like the Moto X. I love my Note 4 for the screen and removable battery, and since the Note 5 won't have a removable battery, I'm not upgrading. Based on experience between the two phones (2014 X and Note 4) I'd get the new Moto X over the Note 5 now, but that's just me.
    08-04-2015 01:57 PM
    Still if those listed features are more important than storage, front speakers and price (as example) to the user- that is what really matters
    The 808 is faster than the 805 that is in the Note 4. I keep my Note 4 in power save mode and most games play smooth and all play smooth with power saving off. Not seeing the losses worthy for a faster chipset I will not notice. Also, the 7420 is no more battery friendly than the 805 or 808 (per Anandtech). The 7422 though is apparently different, but not in the Note 5.

Also not seeing much advantage to 4GB over 3GB, since Android file management is not like a PC that would take advantage.
    At the end of the day, any "flagship" device will perform well enough for the general consumer without much difference in the day to day performance, we really should feel lucky that all of the different OEMs are putting such great efforts into their devices across the board, really presents us with many suitable options
    monsieurms, mclarryjr and rushmore like this.
    08-04-2015 01:58 PM

Well we will just have to wait for the reviews to see how it performs in the real world. I wouldn't be surprised if the Note 5 battery lasts longer than the Note 4 because of the Exynos processor

The Galaxy S6 only has 2300mah battery, and the phone can last a full day with that. The Note 5 (if it has a 3000mah) should last almost twice as long if I were to guess using the same processor

As for front facing speakers, yeah it has its benefits, but doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. I had the Xperia Z3 (which has front facing speakers) and the speakers were really not that amazing. The Galaxy S6 speakers are better and louder too

As for the ram, I currently have the Asus Zenfone 2 (4GB of ram) and the Galaxy S6 (3GB of ram). I can tell you there is a noticeable difference when using both devices. I run multiple games on my Asus and no slowdowns whatsoever. I cannot say the same for my S6
    08-04-2015 02:07 PM
    I don't see how it should last twice as long with a much bigger screen and perhaps a battery 40% larger.
    08-04-2015 02:21 PM
    I don't see how it should last twice as long with a much bigger screen and perhaps a battery 40% larger.
    Look at it like this

The Note 4 comes with 3200mah battery, and has the Qualcomm 805 processor. The battery lasts pretty good

The Note 5 supposedly has a 3000mah battery (only 200 less than the Note 4) and uses the Exynos 7420 processor, which has shown to be much more energy efficient than Qualcomm...I really don't see the Note 5 battery lasting less than the Note 4 because of the 200mah difference. If anything, it should last longer than the Note 4 and the Galaxy S6.

The Note 4 has a bigger screen than the Note 5; Note 4 has 5.7 inch; the Note 5 has 5.66 inch
    08-04-2015 02:43 PM
    I don't think a .04 inch difference is that significant. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see.
    tadpoles likes this.
    08-04-2015 03:00 PM
    I have seen no data that supports the 7420 is any better for power than the 808 or the 805. Especially when using the GPU heavily they are all power hogs.

The main weight though is the display and that is where the Note 5 can leverage.

Reviews will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-04-2015 03:23 PM
    I have seen no data that supports the 7420 is any better for power than the 808 or the 805. Especially when using the GPU heavily they are all power hogs.

The main weight though is the display and that is where the Note 5 can leverage.

Reviews will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Benchmarks show this... Although it doesn't replicate daily use of an average user, the high scores show it can handle power much better

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-04-2015 03:27 PM
224 ... 45678 ...