08-13-2015 11:03 AM
224 ... 56789
tools
    Note 5 with:

A presumably still superior Super Amoled screen
    (localised dimming, more efficient)

some wow factor /
    maybe some pen features I will use that I didn't on a Note 3

A lot of Touchwiz UI features that I do actually like over my Motorola / vanilla Android (sue me)

a much larger whole in my wallet (so would sell the wallet)

------ versus - - - - -

Moto X Style (maybe Play):

to be proven full backlit/edge lit display
    (should have some clever graphics processing)

Cute casing. love it.
    Top especially, and deeply curved back - I would opt for a nice rubberised contrasting coloured back

Far less bloatware has it's merits too

The others mentioned - QI, fingerprint and other stuff I don't need.

Predicted difficulty catching one in the wild. It was already hard or impossible to catch a Moto X 2014 or 2013 in a UK store.

Now in the US where are you going to see one before you buy? A Moto Store?
    -------
    ON Edit: Never mind, I see Best Buy will display them.
    08-04-2015 03:27 PM
    Benchmarks show this... Although it doesn't replicate daily use of an average user, the high scores show it can handle power much better

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    Referring to battery life difference (overall they are equal) and not gpu CPU of the 808 actually beats the 7420 in some tests, but the GPU on the 7420 wins by far. Catch is the 7420 actually uses more power with gpu heavy loads than the 808- that is why some report bad battery life with the S6. Depends on how much the GPU is leveraged in use.

Nothing comes for free: More GPU power, less battery life. The A8 chip in the iPhone 6 Plus is also a battery sucker. Heck, they all are to some degree and that is why gaming tests have much tighter battery life results for most higher tier devices.

The two equalizers are GPU use and weak signal areas with data. Both drain batteries. And of course having a display real bright, but that is obvious
    08-04-2015 08:50 PM
    Note 5 with:

A presumably still superior Super Amoled screen
    (localised dimming, more efficient)

some wow factor /
    maybe some pen features I will use that I didn't on a Note 3

A lot of Touchwiz UI features that I do actually like over my Motorola / vanilla Android (sue me)

a much larger whole in my wallet (so would sell the wallet)

------ versus - - - - -

Moto X Style (maybe Play):

to be proven full backlit/edge lit display
    (should have some clever graphics processing)

Cute casing. love it.
    Top especially, and deeply curved back - I would opt for a nice rubberised contrasting coloured back

Far less bloatware has it's merits too

The others mentioned - QI, fingerprint and other stuff I don't need.

Predicted difficulty catching one in the wild. It was already hard or impossible to catch a Moto X 2014 or 2013 in a UK store.

Now in the US where are you going to see one before you buy? A Moto Store?
    -------
    ON Edit: Never mind, I see Best Buy will display them.

The SD slot and front facing stereo speakers are also key lures. Best Buy will have them in stock, but that is the only physical store that apparently will. Good points about their supply chain having stock, but Lenovo is driving that now, so SHOULD not be as much an issue.

Catch is battery life for both. Reviews should be interesting.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-04-2015 08:53 PM
    Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt - Never understood the appeal of this, is it really that much more effort to plug in a cable vs set on a wireless charging station
    Note 5 has 4GB of ram/Moto X has 3GB - Advantage Samsung
    Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear - f1.9 vs f2.0 will be negligable most likely, the real difference will be whether or not Moto has gotten their post processing software up to par
    Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores) - Should be faster, not necessarily indicative of real world performance
    Note 5 will have Samsung Pay/ Moto X doesn't obviously - Meh
    Note 5 has a fingerprint scanner/Moto X doesnt - Meh again
    This sums up how I feel as well on those points .

Although I do get the convenience of wireless charging (I loved it on my S6) -- the drop and charge is nice but I can live without it. It is not a make or break feature for me.
    08-05-2015 12:07 AM
    This sums up how I feel as well on those points .

Although I do get the convenience of wireless charging (I loved it on my S6) -- the drop and charge is nice but I can live without it. It is not a make or break feature for me.
    My LG G3 did come with wireless charging (and the store even bundled a wireless charger with the phone, which was super-awesone), but I keep finding myself plugging it in more often than using a wireless charger.

Probably because it's not very efficient right now since a lot of that energy is wasted as heat.

My G4 doesn't have wireless charging and frankly, I didn't mind that, hence why I never really thought that the lack of wireless charging on the OPT was a con.
    Almeuit likes this.
    08-05-2015 01:45 AM
    Speaking as someone who repairs phones for a living, I am not happy about this at all. It looks like the repair will probably include removing the screen, which adds risk of damage. Speaking as someone who has soft bricks more phones than I can count, this makes me even more unhappy. If Odin hangs and I need to do a battery pull, this makes things a lot more challenging.

I understand why Samsung is doing this but it does not make me like it.
    08-05-2015 12:08 PM
    Speaking as someone who repairs phones for a living, I am not happy about this at all. It looks like the repair will probably include removing the screen, which adds risk of damage. Speaking as someone who has soft bricks more phones than I can count, this makes me even more unhappy. If Odin hangs and I need to do a battery pull, this makes things a lot more challenging.

I understand why Samsung is doing this but it does not make me like it.
    Its actually not hard to take the pieces apart if you know what you are doing. If its anything like the Galaxy S6, all you really need is a heat gun to melt the glue and remove the glass, and some small screws to remove other pieces. I saw a video on it from YouTube.
    08-05-2015 12:25 PM
    Do you like this icons on the leaked Note 5 images?
    Attached Thumbnails The Note 5 leaks again!-1438796263275.jpg  
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-05-2015 12:37 PM
    If Odin hangs and I need to do a battery pull, this makes things a lot more challenging.
    It's as easy has holding down the power button and either volume up or down. I haven't had any issues doing that on my last two HTC devices.
    smooth4lyfe and dragneelpc like this.
    08-05-2015 12:43 PM
    Its actually not hard to take the pieces apart if you know what you are doing. If its anything like the Galaxy S6, all you really need is a heat gun to melt the glue and remove the glass, and some small screws to remove other pieces. I saw a video on it from YouTube.
    Getting to the sealed/embedded battery in the S6/S6 Edge isn't so easy due to heavy use of adhesives under the glass back and battery. As such iFixit gave it a difficult repairability index: Samsung Galaxy S6 teardown reveals difficult repairability. Note 5 will probably be similar.
    08-05-2015 01:02 PM
    Getting to the sealed/embedded battery in the S6/S6 Edge isn't so easy due to heavy use of adhesives under the glass back and battery. As such iFixit gave it a difficult repairability index: Samsung Galaxy S6 teardown reveals difficult repairability. Note 5 will probably be similar.
    Yeah, I've seen that iFixit review. I'm sure its more difficult now that the battery is sealed in, but from the videos I have seen, its not too bad. You can reach teh battery in under 5 minutes. Though I wouldn't try it myself

anon8380037 likes this.
    08-05-2015 01:15 PM
    I read that at the time. Apparently the S6 Edge is more of a SOB, if I remember.

They can't have officially stated the charge for replacing a Note 5 battery will only be $30 as someone posted.
    Presuming the battery itself is extra, that would be alright, but 12 - 18 months down the line I wouldn't hold my breath.
    08-05-2015 01:38 PM
    Yeah, I've seen that iFixit review. I'm sure its more difficult now that the battery is sealed in, but from the videos I have seen, its not too bad. You can reach teh battery in under 5 minutes. Though I wouldn't try it myself
    In under 5 minutes if you're one of the iFixit guys who does that for a living sure -- Someone who doesn't do that may take a little longer and has a higher chance of damaging something haha.
    08-05-2015 03:07 PM
    In under 5 minutes if you're one of the iFixit guys who does that for a living sure -- Someone who doesn't do that may take a little longer and has a higher chance of damaging something haha.
    Lol yeah thats likely true

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    08-05-2015 03:58 PM
    Do you like this icons on the leaked Note 5 images?
    No, I don't. Reminds me of the old Lenovo VibeUX, which I sorely hate.

But there are themes, so I really don't mind.
    08-05-2015 09:46 PM
    08-06-2015 05:20 PM
    Just something in that picture, or it's the case, the phone itself will have a smooth glass back just like the GS6
    08-07-2015 07:24 AM
    Guess we'll find out in 6 days in this is true or not. Sorry can't post link cause I'm not up to 10 post

According to the listing for the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, the device will feature a Gorilla Glass 4 protected 5.7-inch Super AMOLED screen with a 1440 x 2560 resolution. Under the hood is the Exynos 7422 SoC, which includes an octa-core CPU. 4GB of RAM is inside along with 32GB/64GB of native storage. Yes Virginia, there is a 128GB capacity microSD slot on the Note 5 for those requiring additional memory. A rear-facing 16MP camera is on board, along with a 5MP front-facing shooter. A 4100mAh battery powers the phablet, which has Android 5.1 pre-installed. The Galaxy Note 5 will be available in black or gold. Weighing in at 169 grams, the device measures 7.6mm thick.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    08-07-2015 12:29 PM
    This changes everything for me if it's true.

We shall soon see.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-07-2015 12:30 PM
    Is it true or just a place holder like the Sprint leak was
    08-07-2015 01:06 PM
    Here's the link to this retailer page: Samsung Galaxy Note 5, 4G LTE, 32 GB, Gold

Believe what you will, but I would recommend not letting it get your hopes up.
    08-07-2015 01:22 PM
    How is that that there is so many conflicting information!!
    I'd take this with a grain of salt
    08-07-2015 01:59 PM
    Um no, that is all
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    08-07-2015 02:06 PM
    If this is true that is refreshing. I'll be in line early to get one. That being said I don't think these specs are accurate. I'm eyeing up the rumoured g4pro from LG. Battery life is huge to me and the rumoured 3000mah battery for the note is inadequate
    08-07-2015 03:02 PM
    Take this for what it is worth. I know I would, since I am always skeptical of the "my friend works for BLANK" and this is what the phone is post....but my little brother works for Best Buy mobile.

He claims (I live six hours away) to have held and played with both the s6 edge + and note 5.

His claims match the rumors. Curved back, glass and metal, etc. No ext. sd slot, and in his words "it's so fast!"

Sounds like a nice device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-07-2015 03:08 PM
224 ... 56789