The Note 5 leaks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madscotsman

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 5 in its full glory (BIG LEAKS)

Your missing out on the other Note 5 advantages too

Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt
Note 5 has 4GB of ram/Moto X has 3GB - Advantage Samsung
Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear
Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores)
Note 5 will have Samsung Pay/ Moto X doesn't obviously
Note 5 has a fingerprint scanner/Moto X doesnt

Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt - Never understood the appeal of this, is it really that much more effort to plug in a cable vs set on a wireless charging station
Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear - f1.9 vs f2.0 will be negligable most likely, the real difference will be whether or not Moto has gotten their post processing software up to par
Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores) - Should be faster, not necessarily indicative of real world performance
Note 5 will have Samsung Pay/ Moto X doesn't obviously - Meh
Note 5 has a fingerprint scanner/Moto X doesnt - Meh again

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt - Never understood the appeal of this, is it really that much more effort to plug in a cable vs set on a wireless charging station
Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear - f1.9 vs f2.0 will be negligable most likely, the real difference will be whether or not Moto has gotten their post processing software up to par
Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores) - Should be faster, not necessarily indicative of real world performance

Still if those listed features are more important than storage, front speakers and price (as example) to the user- that is what really matters :)
The 808 is faster than the 805 that is in the Note 4. I keep my Note 4 in power save mode and most games play smooth and all play smooth with power saving off. Not seeing the losses worthy for a faster chipset I will not notice. Also, the 7420 is no more battery friendly than the 805 or 808 (per Anandtech). The 7422 though is apparently different, but not in the Note 5.

Also not seeing much advantage to 4GB over 3GB, since Android file management is not like a PC that would take advantage.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Your missing out on the other Note 5 advantages too

Note 5 has wireless charging (both standards)Moto X doesnt
Note 5 has 4GB of ram/Moto X has 3GB
Note 5 has a f.19 camera on both sides/Moto X has f2.0 on the rear
Note 5 runs much faster than the Moto X (according to benchmark scores)
Note 5 will have Samsung Pay/ Moto X doesn't obviously
Note 5 has a fingerprint scanner/Moto X doesnt

I had the 2014 Moto X prior to getting the Note 4, which has less RAM and an older processor than the Note 4. The Note 4 may score higher on benchmarks, but in actual use - opening / closing apps, transitioning between screens, scrolling, etc., the Moto X is way faster than the Note 4, and I don't see any reason why that would change now. Touchwiz really slows down the Note 4 relative to a near-pure Android experience like the Moto X. I love my Note 4 for the screen and removable battery, and since the Note 5 won't have a removable battery, I'm not upgrading. Based on experience between the two phones (2014 X and Note 4) I'd get the new Moto X over the Note 5 now, but that's just me.

Madscotsman

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Still if those listed features are more important than storage, front speakers and price (as example) to the user- that is what really matters :)
The 808 is faster than the 805 that is in the Note 4. I keep my Note 4 in power save mode and most games play smooth and all play smooth with power saving off. Not seeing the losses worthy for a faster chipset I will not notice. Also, the 7420 is no more battery friendly than the 805 or 808 (per Anandtech). The 7422 though is apparently different, but not in the Note 5.

Also not seeing much advantage to 4GB over 3GB, since Android file management is not like a PC that would take advantage.

At the end of the day, any "flagship" device will perform well enough for the general consumer without much difference in the day to day performance, we really should feel lucky that all of the different OEMs are putting such great efforts into their devices across the board, really presents us with many suitable options

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Well we will just have to wait for the reviews to see how it performs in the real world. I wouldn't be surprised if the Note 5 battery lasts longer than the Note 4 because of the Exynos processor

The Galaxy S6 only has 2300mah battery, and the phone can last a full day with that. The Note 5 (if it has a 3000mah) should last almost twice as long if I were to guess using the same processor

As for front facing speakers, yeah it has its benefits, but doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. I had the Xperia Z3 (which has front facing speakers) and the speakers were really not that amazing. The Galaxy S6 speakers are better and louder too

As for the ram, I currently have the Asus Zenfone 2 (4GB of ram) and the Galaxy S6 (3GB of ram). I can tell you there is a noticeable difference when using both devices. I run multiple games on my Asus and no slowdowns whatsoever. I cannot say the same for my S6

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't see how it should last twice as long with a much bigger screen and perhaps a battery 40% larger.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I don't see how it should last twice as long with a much bigger screen and perhaps a battery 40% larger.

Look at it like this

The Note 4 comes with 3200mah battery, and has the Qualcomm 805 processor. The battery lasts pretty good

The Note 5 supposedly has a 3000mah battery (only 200 less than the Note 4) and uses the Exynos 7420 processor, which has shown to be much more energy efficient than Qualcomm...I really don't see the Note 5 battery lasting less than the Note 4 because of the 200mah difference. If anything, it should last longer than the Note 4 and the Galaxy S6.

The Note 4 has a bigger screen than the Note 5; Note 4 has 5.7 inch; the Note 5 has 5.66 inch

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't think a .04 inch difference is that significant. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I have seen no data that supports the 7420 is any better for power than the 808 or the 805. Especially when using the GPU heavily they are all power hogs.

The main weight though is the display and that is where the Note 5 can leverage.

Reviews will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I have seen no data that supports the 7420 is any better for power than the 808 or the 805. Especially when using the GPU heavily they are all power hogs.

The main weight though is the display and that is where the Note 5 can leverage.

Reviews will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Benchmarks show this... Although it doesn't replicate daily use of an average user, the high scores show it can handle power much better

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Note 5 with:

A presumably still superior Super Amoled screen
(localised dimming, more efficient)

some wow factor /
maybe some pen features I will use that I didn't on a Note 3

A lot of Touchwiz UI features that I do actually like over my Motorola / vanilla Android (sue me)

a much larger whole in my wallet (so would sell the wallet)

------ versus - - - - -

Moto X Style (maybe Play):

to be proven full backlit/edge lit display
(should have some clever graphics processing)

Cute casing. love it.
Top especially, and deeply curved back - I would opt for a nice rubberised contrasting coloured back

Far less bloatware has it's merits too

The others mentioned - QI, fingerprint and other stuff I don't need.

Predicted difficulty catching one in the wild. It was already hard or impossible to catch a Moto X 2014 or 2013 in a UK store.

Now in the US where are you going to see one before you buy? A Moto Store?
-------
ON Edit: Never mind, I see Best Buy will display them.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Benchmarks show this... Although it doesn't replicate daily use of an average user, the high scores show it can handle power much better

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

Referring to battery life difference (overall they are equal) and not gpu ;) CPU of the 808 actually beats the 7420 in some tests, but the GPU on the 7420 wins by far. Catch is the 7420 actually uses more power with gpu heavy loads than the 808- that is why some report bad battery life with the S6. Depends on how much the GPU is leveraged in use.

Nothing comes for free: More GPU power, less battery life. The A8 chip in the iPhone 6 Plus is also a battery sucker. Heck, they all are to some degree and that is why gaming tests have much tighter battery life results for most higher tier devices.

The two equalizers are GPU use and weak signal areas with data. Both drain batteries. And of course having a display real bright, but that is obvious :)

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Note 5 with:

A presumably still superior Super Amoled screen
(localised dimming, more efficient)

some wow factor /
maybe some pen features I will use that I didn't on a Note 3

A lot of Touchwiz UI features that I do actually like over my Motorola / vanilla Android (sue me)

a much larger whole in my wallet (so would sell the wallet)

------ versus - - - - -

Moto X Style (maybe Play):

to be proven full backlit/edge lit display
(should have some clever graphics processing)

Cute casing. love it.
Top especially, and deeply curved back - I would opt for a nice rubberised contrasting coloured back

Far less bloatware has it's merits too

The others mentioned - QI, fingerprint and other stuff I don't need.

Predicted difficulty catching one in the wild. It was already hard or impossible to catch a Moto X 2014 or 2013 in a UK store.

Now in the US where are you going to see one before you buy? A Moto Store?
-------
ON Edit: Never mind, I see Best Buy will display them.

The SD slot and front facing stereo speakers are also key lures. Best Buy will have them in stock, but that is the only physical store that apparently will. Good points about their supply chain having stock, but Lenovo is driving that now, so SHOULD not be as much an issue.

Catch is battery life for both. Reviews should be interesting.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This sums up how I feel as well on those points :).

Although I do get the convenience of wireless charging (I loved it on my S6) -- the drop and charge is nice but I can live without it. It is not a make or break feature for me.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

This sums up how I feel as well on those points :).

Although I do get the convenience of wireless charging (I loved it on my S6) -- the drop and charge is nice but I can live without it. It is not a make or break feature for me.

My LG G3 did come with wireless charging (and the store even bundled a wireless charger with the phone, which was super-awesone), but I keep finding myself plugging it in more often than using a wireless charger.

Probably because it's not very efficient right now since a lot of that energy is wasted as heat.

My G4 doesn't have wireless charging and frankly, I didn't mind that, hence why I never really thought that the lack of wireless charging on the OPT was a con.

rudeguy

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Speaking as someone who repairs phones for a living, I am not happy about this at all. It looks like the repair will probably include removing the screen, which adds risk of damage. Speaking as someone who has soft bricks more phones than I can count, this makes me even more unhappy. If Odin hangs and I need to do a battery pull, this makes things a lot more challenging.

I understand why Samsung is doing this but it does not make me like it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Speaking as someone who repairs phones for a living, I am not happy about this at all. It looks like the repair will probably include removing the screen, which adds risk of damage. Speaking as someone who has soft bricks more phones than I can count, this makes me even more unhappy. If Odin hangs and I need to do a battery pull, this makes things a lot more challenging.

I understand why Samsung is doing this but it does not make me like it.

Its actually not hard to take the pieces apart if you know what you are doing. If its anything like the Galaxy S6, all you really need is a heat gun to melt the glue and remove the glass, and some small screws to remove other pieces. I saw a video on it from YouTube.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

If Odin hangs and I need to do a battery pull, this makes things a lot more challenging.

It's as easy has holding down the power button and either volume up or down. I haven't had any issues doing that on my last two HTC devices.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Its actually not hard to take the pieces apart if you know what you are doing. If its anything like the Galaxy S6, all you really need is a heat gun to melt the glue and remove the glass, and some small screws to remove other pieces. I saw a video on it from YouTube.

Getting to the sealed/embedded battery in the S6/S6 Edge isn't so easy due to heavy use of adhesives under the glass back and battery. As such iFixit gave it a difficult repairability index: Samsung Galaxy S6 teardown reveals difficult repairability. Note 5 will probably be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12