08-13-2015 10:14 AM
36 12
tools
    There's more to battery life than just battery size.

The nexus 6 and Note 4 have the same cpu, gpu, and baseband processor, with very similar battery size , yet the note 4 gets substantially better battery life for most people
    yeah I've heard that line all year from Samsung, them touting how "energy efficient" their S6 is ... truth is, if it's more efficient great, then instead of making it thinner and using the same or smaller battery, increase its capacity and take advantage of that efficiency. if people are satisfied with 3 hours SOT, or 4-5 but having to disable half the features they pay for, that's certainly an opinion they're entitled to. personally, I'm not satisfied, nor am I happy with the supposed downsize. the point in a next gen flagship is to improve on its features, and for me battery life is at the top of the list.

also, they sealed it this year, so we don't have the option to replace it on the fly and not everyone can get to a charger, so the quick charge feature, albeit a welcome addition, just doesn't cut it. if you're gonna seal the battery, fine, but at least go 3800+ ... I just hate this energy efficiency BS we've had shoved down our throats in 2015, it's extremely disappointing to say the least.
    08-12-2015 11:47 PM
    More on point though, is that for a 5.7 inch phone BOTH are too small really. They should easily be able to fit a larger battery than those capacities in this large of a phone. So many phones of equal or smaller size have larger batteries. Even if Samsung had to sacrifice 1 mm of thickness (which they really shouldn't have to) to put in a 3700 or 4000 mah battery, it would be a tremendous benefit with almost no negative. The Galaxy Notes are so thin anyway, no one is gonna turn down buying one because it is 1 mm thicker.

Bigger phones should have larger batteries, period. Feel free to disagree. (yes, in this case larger than 3200 mah) ..
    Yeah I agree 3000mah is kinda small. I really dont know why they sacrifice size for battery life. Samsung has somewhat the benfit of the doubt by using the Exynos 7420 which is more energy efficient, but still not much of an excuse
    08-12-2015 11:55 PM
    They may say it will last longer but we all know that wasn't the case with the S5 and the S6. They shrunk the battery on the S6 but said it would still last longer with the better ram and processor. Well, I have an S6 and battery and ram is horrible. Out of the box almost all 3gb of ram is used up and nothing can fix this. The battery is absolutely horrible. I'm lucky to get 12hrs and 2-3 hours of screen time on a full charge. The only savior is how fast it charges. The lag on my S6 now that 95%of my 32gb is full and the constant ram usage makes me want to throw this phone up against a wall. I only got the S6 to get me through until the Note 5 came out. Now Idk what to do since the note 5 is basically just a bigger S6 with an s pen. I fear I will have the same problems I'm having with the S6. I may just have to get a Note 4 like I should of in the first place. Very sad but true

Posted via the Android Central App
    I think your experience is different than others. Some people have gotten over 6hrs of screen time on their S6. Personally, the battery on ym S6 lasts longer than the one on my S5...I would wake up at around 7AM and my phone would die around 5:30PM with my S5...however with my S6, I would still have about 30% at 5:30PM. Still not the best but was certainly better
    At one point I got 6hrs of screen time but now I cant even get passed 4hrs of screen time anymore

The Note 5 has 4GB of ram...I really believe this will help with lagging A LOT
    08-12-2015 11:58 PM

The nexus 6 and Note 4 have the same cpu, gpu, and baseband processor, with very similar battery size , yet the note 4 gets substantially better battery life for most people
    Well yes this is true, but the Note 4 and Note 5 is a better comparison since they are both Samsung and Touchwiz
    The Nexus 6 uses stock android and the Note 4 uses Touchwiz, both uses different processors too
    08-13-2015 12:05 AM
    7.6 mm thickness is why the battery is so small. Samsung drank the apple koolaid that thin is beautiful the same with sealed glass backs. Functionality be damned it's gotta be pretty and skinny!

They turned the most productive phone in the world into a toy.

I hope they go bankrupt for this.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    08-13-2015 01:29 AM
    I also have a Note 3 and am so torn between Note 5 and LG G4, I'm really torn between these 2 phones with each having good and bad issues

Posted via Android Central App
    You might want to wait for the LG G4+ (or whatever they're going to name it) before making a decision. It'll be out in another couple of months. If it's an improvement over the current G4, it'll be worth the wait.
    08-13-2015 01:56 AM
    I think your experience is different than others. Some people have gotten over 6hrs of screen time on their S6. Personally, the battery on ym S6 lasts longer than the one on my S5...I would wake up at around 7AM and my phone would die around 5:30PM with my S5...however with my S6, I would still have about 30% at 5:30PM. Still not the best but was certainly better
    At one point I got 6hrs of screen time but now I cant even get passed 4hrs of screen time anymore

The Note 5 has 4GB of ram...I really believe this will help with lagging A LOT
    My Gf and I both have S6's and both of our batteries last about what you said your S5's did. I have also heard from leaks that 3.5gb of the 4gb of ram is in use straight out of the box. Not a good sign.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-13-2015 04:07 AM
    The GPU is the wild card with the 7420. CPU power consumption is less than the 805 and similar to the 808, but the GPU uses more power than either chip and a key reason it benches so much better. The less you use apps that leverage the GPU, the better the battery life with the 7420. Not just games BTW leverage the GPU, especially since the update to Lollipop. The intent is to unburden the CPU and let the GPU help with the workload.

Obviously the more that apps use "3D" in the (z axis) geometry in the graphics the more it will be a factor.
    08-13-2015 08:23 AM
    Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings (including screen brightness), and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

All true. The point is that whatever battery life the Note 5 gets based on those factors, would be increased greatly with those same factors and a larger battery. There just isn't any answer for putting a 3000 mah battery in a 5.7" phone in 2015.

Those same points/factors above that you mention also apply if the battery was 3700 or 4000 mah. Other manufacturers get larger batteries into the same or smaller size phones. There is no reason that Samsung can't, given it's massive manufacturing prowess and resources.
    08-13-2015 08:32 AM
    yeah I've heard that line all year from Samsung, them touting how "energy efficient" their S6 is ... truth is, if it's more efficient great, then instead of making it thinner and using the same or smaller battery, increase its capacity and take advantage of that efficiency.
    An excerpt from AnandTech. The link is to a very detailed analysis of the efficiency of 7420 vs. the slightly reduced capacity battery.

In web browsing, the Galaxy S6 manages to keep battery life while on WiFi at approximately the same level as the Galaxy S5. It’s likely that a combination of the newer Broadcom BCM4358, upgraded AMOLED display, and the Exynos 7420 helped to keep battery consumption relatively constant here, which represents a 10-15% overall power efficiency increase in this test. It’s likely that we’re mostly looking at differences in display efficiency when comparing the 1440p panel of the S6 to the 1080p panel of the S5. It’s definitely impressive that Samsung has pulled this off, but I do wonder what the result would be if Samsung stayed at 1080p.

Battery Life and Charge Time - The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge Review

if people are satisfied
    Who are "people?" Bigger batteries mean bigger thicker phones. Perhaps "people" prefer their phones thinner and lighter. No one here knows or is in a position to speak for "people." There's a ton of people in this thread that think their individual needs represent the masses. We here on technical forums represent advanced and more technical users so we don't represent the thinking of the masses . The masses don't obsess over what we do and most likely don't care about the things we do.

More on point though, is that for a 5.7 inch phone BOTH are too small really.
    For who? I don't want a phone any larger than the Note 4 I have or Note 5 I'll be getting. If the rumors are true the next Nexus phablet is dropping from 6" to 5.7". I'm guessing because the 6" display on the Nexus 6 makes it friggin huge.

08-13-2015 08:57 AM
    Does it have multicolor led notifications?
    Does it have ir blaster?
    08-13-2015 10:14 AM
36 12