08-20-2015 01:51 AM
82 ... 234
    There really wasn't much different between the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy S5 except for the Pen and S5 being water resistant, so difference between the two is still not too much distinctive, both were made from the same material, and looked the same from the front
    I'd say that a 32GB GN4 vs a 16GB GS5 is a huge difference. I'm a pretty light user, but my 32GB GS4 has under 15GB free on internal storage and I keep all my data (no apps) on my SD card. OTOH, IP67 specs trump no weather proofing specs.

The killer N5 specs to me would have included IP68 certification plus keeping the IR blaster and removable SD card and battery. I'll take that plastic construction with those specs any day. Shucks, I'll take that plastic construction over glass regardless of the specs. It's all covered with a case anyway.
    08-14-2015 09:56 AM
    RAW image capable for you photogs out there! This will be a top feature for some (me!)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Hoped they would have added this for the Lollipop builds of prev gens like the Note3, but it didn't happen. Raw image size would be a good use for an SD card too... even if you capture to internal, you could off load to a nice big card.....

I was hoping they would do the RAW capture, but with what they took away its not worth it.
    08-14-2015 11:30 AM
    Here are my full-on first thoughts.

Honestly, I think it's another device from Samsung that will polarize users. Like the Galaxy S6 that it is based on, the Note 5 does away with the microSD expansion slot and removable battery and in their place is ultrafast UFS 2.0 storage that's available in 32GB base and 64GB max and a sealed 3000mAh battery. Many Note users I know are users of the replaceable battery and SD card slot, so the removal of those 2 did disappoint them.

As for what I think, I think Samsung might be in for a bit of a challenge here. I am a relatively heavy media consumer, so large amounts of storage and battery life matter to me. The Galaxy Note 4 was one device that met my criteria as it had easily expandable storage that didn't cost so much and also had a large battery that can be swapped for another one if it goes bad or if I just want a quick top-up of power. The Note 5, unfortunately, doesn't have both. That might not be so bad for you, depending on your usage, but to me, the biggest pet-peeve for me is how the Note 5's maximum storage option is 64GB. For me, that's a bit too small, so I was surprised that there was no 128GB option. The battery is also one that will confuse some consumers as it's 220mAh smaller than the one on the Note 4, but from early tests, it seems to last as long as the Note 4, which is no bad thing, but I'm just a little disappointed that they went with the "thinner phone" route. Removal of the IR blaster is also pretty shocking to me, but Samsung probably thought that very few people used it.

Cons aside, the phone seems to be a beast, packing the same E7420 from the S6 that delivers quite a punch and 4GB of LPDDR4 should make it a multitasking champ, once Samsung sorts out the RAM management. The QHD SAMOLED display should deliver a great viewing experience and that S Pen just keeps getting better. Funny, though, that my favorite feature on the entire phone is actually the clicking-mechanism on the S Pen itself. :P
    It also looks good, though I think glass isn't suitable for phones due to its fragility but I guess they needed it for wireless charging.

Final thoughts. I think it really boils down to your usage. For me, I'm not going with the Note 5 because I'm a heavy media consumer and thus, I'll need large amounts of storage. The cloud doesn't count because I travel often and my data is capped at 4GB/month. That's not enough for what I do on my phone. Many long-time Note users may be upset over the loss of the 2 features that has been in every Note until the Note 4, but if SD cards and removable batteries (and IR blasters) don't mean anything to you, but you really want the latest that Samsung has to offer and the S Pen, then the Galaxy Note 5 is for you.

For me, I'm perfectly contempt with my LG G4 but I'll also be looking at the Galaxy Note 4 as a work phone.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-15-2015 06:55 AM
    One possible solution for heavy media consumption users would be to offload the media to a wireless drive. I have a. Seagate wireless drive that is great for streaming video from.

Downside is it doesn't integrate to the phone. Basically instead of syncing content from plex now right to my phone I would have to use my desktop to move content right from my server to the Seagate drive. I actually would prefer to use sync in plex though. Plex is the center for all of my video stuff. It is foolish to make this more complicated then it needs to be. I stream were I can but have also synced content on occasion when I have run into bandwidth issues so I could stream right from my phone.

I don't think I would care about the SD card if they gave me at least the same capacity I could get with it as I can without. Maybe it is a tech problem but I think the capacities should have been 64GB, 128GB, 256Gb.

It is hard to believe my old note 3 can have 160 GB of storage, but I can't get more then 64 GB in the newest phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-15-2015 07:28 AM
    RAW image capable for you photogs out there! This will be a top feature for some (me!)

RAW image files also mean bigger image files. Bigger image files plus no expandable storage? They are going the wrong way. 64 GB should have been the base model. By just making this one change, Samsung would have a few more people interested. That, and having a bigger battery than the Note 4.

08-15-2015 07:46 AM
    Exactly. I wonder if the battery capacity has something to do with reliability for a sealed battery with fast charging. I would have prefered a larger capacity with more charge cycles over slightly faster wireless charging. On a device like the Note were productivity is important you can't be worried about the battery dieing at the end of the day. I am a firm believer in maintenance charging with wireless/qi charging, but that won't do anything if I have 5 hours of back to back meetings and all of them I need to take notes in.

I have been on both side of the storage debate. I have a 32GB nexus 10 tablet that has worked great for years. For the most part the storage is sufficient. At the same time the main reason I have my wireless drive is because of my nexus 10 and my daughters galaxy tab 2 7" with limited capacity that can't store the 100+videos i have at high quality.

No one has brought up the impact of 4k video on storage either. Recording in 4k will tear through some storage.

Posted via the Android Central App
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-15-2015 09:15 AM
    As someone who owns a phone from every OS, I'm really disappointed. I have always liked Samsung with their removable batteries and SD cards.

I have an iPhone, what set my Android apart is no longer doing so.

I'll get the 4 once my 3 dies but unless they give back my most beloved features, me and Samsung are parting ways.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-20-2015 01:51 AM
82 ... 234