The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy?

See I've been a stock guy for as long as I can remember and the buttons do take some getting used to, but I think I'd get used to it. And I actually prefer the back button on the right. Makes more sense to me. I also think that the big additions of M will already be on the Note - being the fingerprint scanner and Android Pay. And it sounds like the Samsung version is going to be nice.

Yes, you'd probably get used to it if you were using only one device, but in my case all my other devices are bottom left for Back, iPhone excepted. I don't think I could do that. But I don't see why anyone should have to, unless for some reason Samsung CANNOT make their screen nav buttons customisable.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you'd probably get used to it if you were using only one device, but in my case all my other devices are bottom left for Back, iPhone excepted. I don't think I could do that. But I don't see why anyone should have to, unless for some reason Samsung CANNOT make their screen nav buttons customisable.

Posted via the Android Central App
There is a newer device that has dashes in place of the buttons and they are customizable. I can't think of the device offhand, but it was in the blog not long ago.

I don't quite agree with what Samsung did either, but I wasn't going to buy any of the three device they launched this year, anyway.

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

cvaria

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

There is a newer device that has dashes in place of the buttons and they are customizable. I can't think of the device offhand, but it was in the blog not long ago.

I don't quite agree with what Samsung did either, but I wasn't going to buy any of the three device they launched this year, anyway.

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

one plus two

the keys are customization on all phones if you know what you are doing

search:
"mod-remap-your-hardware-keys" on this site

still works

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Who uses an SD card? Pretty much every one on this forum that's unhappy about the lack of SD card support. Those of us who spend 8 - 10 hours a week in airplanes without access to 'the cloud'. Those of us on 6gb/month shared data limits that would be chewed up by streaming just a couple of movies. Those of us that don't have Netflix/Hulu/Prime accounts but still want to watch movies on our phones that we've ripped from our DVD collection.

Congratulations if SD card support isn't important for you, but please stop telling everyone else what should be important to them.
Odd isn't it? Incredulity towards people that would like the choice if using one, that does not impact those that don't. Still, those same people impose their standard on others and think there should not be a choice. Grass roots tyranny! ;) :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

some people kill me. Just because they get rid of two features ( i wouldnt even call them main features, because its just how they were making their phone in 2014 just like the s5 had the removable bat and storage) everyone neglects the other improvements, the MAJOR improvements. literally EVERYTHING is done better, besides the removable things. sure screen size and res is the same, but who cares, it was top notch so why change it?

Remember that feeling of a new snappy phone when you picked up the note 4 for the first time? Go pick up a Note 5 and tell me you dont get that same feeling. If you need a removable battery and more storage, fine, more power to you. But please stop bashing the phone for not having two things that you view as the most important.
Another one of the incredulity police! The micro sd market is a multi billion business that correlates with the growth of Android phones and tablets. You apparently don't value them, but others do. Consumers drive demand, so they will speak :) Note 5 is not the preferred choice for some portion of Note users. We will know in the next several months the general size.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Another thing to keep in mind is that external storage might be useless in some corporate environments. Plugging in external devices is disabled in many cases for security purposes. Use of a corporate cloud service might be the only option available.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
True, but a tiny segment of Samsung's business, since Apple owns that. If Samsung is making decisions for all consumers based on that, they have other fundamental issues ;)

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: No removable battery, no SD card slot

this is the more logical argument and one i can agree upon. But if your like me, you hardly have the same phone for a year, let alone 2.

I'm a business user of a Note 3 halfway through my second year. After one year my battery went TU and had to be replaced. If I had a closed device, not only would I have had a lot of issues replacing the phone, not to mention cost, but I would have been without my phone for much longer than it took me to get a new battery from Amazon with one-day shipping. It was frustrating enough as it was. Add a glass back and no mSD to that and there is zero to motivate me to upgrade. My N3 is rooted and perfect atm. Why would I want fewer "features" that are important to me and a highly breakable glass back? I was about to get onboard, trade my current 32GB internal and 64GG external (was going to get a 128 mSD) when I realized that the back was indeed glass. Big mistake on the part of Samsung IMO.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

If I am not mistaken they have announced 128g models. But I don't see myself using much more than 32-64g.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not in the US. The Verge asked Sammy and they replied that it was a mistake on their site and would be removed.

cvaria

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

display brighter, more vibrant..(i'm sure theres a better term for this)- camera is the s6 cam with newfangled ois. party stops there. ram and soc bump.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

If you're that worried about "business critical data" you sure better not be storing it on an SD card either.

I also have business critical data that I will never upload to the cloud. I also have redundant backups up the wazoo. I backup to at least five different places hourly. The mSD is an important part of the equation, but not the only part. Still, I can't do without it.

I just bought a Note 4 while reading here. I'm on a Note 3 that has been stellar and my understanding from everyone I spoke with is that the Note 4 is even better. It arrives Tuesday - can't wait!

IF Samsung pulls their head out of the hole they have it in and comes up with some real upgrades in the Note 6 then we can talk. If not, that's okay, too. They aren't the only game in town.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I also have business critical data that I will never upload to the cloud. I also have redundant backups up the wazoo. I backup to at least five different places hourly. The mSD is an important part of the equation, but not the only part. Still, I can't do without it.

I just bought a Note 4 while reading here. I'm on a Note 3 that has been stellar and my understanding from everyone I spoke with is that the Note 4 is even better. It arrives Tuesday - can't wait!

IF Samsung pulls their head out of the hole they have it in and comes up with some real upgrades in the Note 6 then we can talk. If not, that's okay, too. They aren't the only game in town.
But that's my point. If it's that critical, are you honestly that worried about your phone failing over an SD card failing? If it's that critical, don't upload it to the cloud. Don't store it on an SD card. Get it to a local drive ASAP. If you're running with that critical of data, then it shouldn't be in either.

I like SD cards, and would have preferred that they had it just for choice. But it's not the end all for me. I just don't understand it. I think those that HAVE to have one are far more of the minority than they think they are.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

But that's my point. If it's that critical, are you honestly that worried about your phone failing over an SD card failing? If it's that critical, don't upload it to the cloud. Don't store it on an SD card. Get it to a local drive ASAP. If you're running with that critical of data, then it shouldn't be in either.

I like SD cards, and would have preferred that they had it just for choice. But it's not the end all for me. I just don't understand it. I think those that HAVE to have one are far more of the minority than they think they are.

Not sure you read my reply completely. I do hourly backups to multiple locations. I use the cloud for inconsequential things, and even those are backed up to several other non-cloud locations. I have backups up the wazoo of all critical data, including my mSD.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

And this knowledge is founded in? Faith only? Or can you come up with some kind of proof?

So go into a mall, or a DMV or something, and ask 10 people if they use SD card in their phones. How many "normal" users will even know what you mean, never mind have them and use them?

These forums are an echo chamber for this. I bet 70% or more here like them and use them. I do. I like them , and I wish the Note 5 had it. But if you think normal users care (including every iOS user, by the way), you might want to think again.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

And this knowledge is founded in? Faith only? Or can you come up with some kind of proof?
Samsung isn't stupid. They most likely did studies showing how many people would not buy a note 5 because of the sd card, and found it was acceptably low

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

This whole issue of the SD card could have easily been resolved if Samsung gave a generous amount of hard drive storage. If for example there were two versions only 64 and 128 GB hard drive. Also rather than investing copious amounts of money in their own processor and Edge version they instead researched into the world's first mobile 256 GB hard drive storage. That would have been an impressive technological achievement and could have commanded the same price as a top tier Apple phone.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Samsung isn't stupid. They most likely did studies showing how many people would not buy a note 5 because of the sd card, and found it was acceptably low
And I want to thank them for saving me a ton of money AND saving me from a glass-backed device that will likely break in the first fall and pssssss all that money away. Thank you, Samsung. Love the Note, not the Note 5. Hoping for a better Note 6 (more storage, no glass back).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I have none. Times and sales figures will tell! However I never made any claim to represent an overwhelming majority, the logical complement to a "tiny minority". It is upon those to make otherwise unfounded claims, to offer some proof for it!
Well, if you require proof that users don't need these features, it is not unreasonable to require proof that users need these features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome