03-27-2017 03:21 AM
719 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    Haha I feel you -- I went from the S6 to the G4 and now the Moto X Style (or Pure Edition in the US) once it is out .
    Mine has been S6, S6 Active, Nexus 6, iPhone 6+, Nexus 6, now I'm struggling to decide between the Note 5, S6 Active again, Moto X, or wait on the next Nexus phone(s). It's a hard knock life for me and my phone addiction.
    Almeuit and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-18-2015 03:22 PM
    It's just overused.

I just like to see a different reason
    Well the problem with this particular device, is that the internal storage only goes to 64gb and the non removable battery is smaller than the Note 4's. So while I agree with you that those two reasons ARE in fact beaten to death on this website, it's almost a renewed, valid reason with this particular Note. If it had 128gb Internal storage with 4300 mAh battery, then I would agree completely with you that it's tired and overused.
    GregMargie and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    08-18-2015 03:32 PM
    That's also partly why I prefer a removable battery, but I've heard that a store can swap out the battery in an S6 in about 20 minutes.
    I'd like to know if the replacement battery that these repair stores are using for an S6 (or any sealed battery for that matter) are OEM or 3rd party?? Do manufacturers even make batteries for their sealed devices and if so, are they available to the general public?
    bigglyguy likes this.
    08-18-2015 03:55 PM
    It's just overused.

I just like to see a different reason
    Although the two obvious reasons are dealbreakers for me, a more reasonable answer for me is simply because I have no reason to. I'm locked in on a 2 year contract with my Note 4 since March (oh how I wish I waited a few weeks longer after I was upgrade eligible so the up front price for the 2 year contract would have just been $199.99 vs. $299.99). The specs on the Note 4 is more than enough to last me through 2016. It's not even a year old as of this post. And I've simply had so much fun with the snapdragon variant with rooting and custom ROMs the Exynos chip actually scares me.

I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority who actually waits about 2-2.5 years for that phone upgrade. The phone market seems so saturated the last few years if you ask me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    bigglyguy likes this.
    08-18-2015 04:22 PM
    I'll wait a couple of months until the 128GB is out then purchase. If no 128GB I stick with the ole Galaxy s6.
    08-18-2015 05:13 PM
    (I'm still a bit bitter that my wife's iPhone can do NFC tap to pay... and I've had NFC on my phones for 4 years now and haven't been able to do it.)
    Why haven't you been able to use tap-to-pay?
    08-18-2015 05:45 PM
    I'm in it for the long haul! 2 years minimum!
    I rock two phones at a time (dual wield, what?) and so I'm doing semi-annual upgrades but keeping each device for about a year.
    08-18-2015 05:57 PM
    I was waiting for the 128GB version... Having the iPhone 6+ got me accustomed to no SD/removable battery (after having the Note2/3/etc)... guess I'll keep waiting...
    08-18-2015 05:58 PM
    I can't believe they did it?
    Samsung, really???
    Wow, I hope your sales suffer enough to get your attention... You take away 2 of the most important things that make the phone great, and then wonder how that's going to go over?
    There should be public shaming, firing, or worse for those who made those decisions.
    Right now, you seem to think that since no one else has a phone that will currently compete, you can do what you want and the populace will adjust.
    To a certain degree, you're probably right...
    However, Samsung...
    Nature abhors a vacuum... and so does technology.
    My Note 4 will last long enough for someone to give me an alternative... a real alternative.
    Maybe that someone will be Samsung, bringing back removable batteries and microsd card slots in the Note 6.
    Maybe it will be someone else...
    So disappointed...
    dcstuntman likes this.
    08-18-2015 06:15 PM
    I can't believe they did it?
    Samsung, really???
    Wow, I hope your sales suffer enough to get your attention... You take away 2 of the most important things that make the phone great, and then wonder how that's going to go over?
    There should be public shaming, firing, or worse for those who made those decisions.
    Right now, you seem to think that since no one else has a phone that will currently compete, you can do what you want and the populace will adjust.
    To a certain degree, you're probably right...
    However, Samsung...
    Nature abhors a vacuum... and so does technology.
    My Note 4 will last long enough for someone to give me an alternative... a real alternative.
    Maybe that someone will be Samsung, bringing back removable batteries and microsd card slots in the Note 6.
    Maybe it will be someone else...
    So disappointed...
    Those were two of the most important features? More important than the screen, camera, all day battery life, spen, processor, materials, etc? That's not good. That means someone could make the worst phone ever, stick these two features in and that automatically would trump better phones that have one or zero of those features? Not hardly?
    08-18-2015 06:19 PM
    Those were two of the most important features? More important than the screen, camera, all day battery life, spen, processor, materials, etc? That's not good. That means someone could make the worst phone ever, stick these two features in and that automatically would trump better phones that have one or zero of those features? Not hardly?
    No, that means that these along with the others are the most important things about the phone that people loved ,not the only 2 things. Nice try though. ..

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    pmjj, bigglyguy and dcstuntman like this.
    08-18-2015 07:02 PM
    No, that means that these along with the others are the most important things about the phone that people loved ,not the only 2 things. Nice try though. ..

Actually he did say 2 most important things verbatim, and he was the one the response was directed at (as indicated by the quote tags)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-18-2015 07:08 PM

I'd argue that these two are among the least important in the US market, even behind UI "skins" and accessory availability. And it seems like Samsung agrees?

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-18-2015 07:26 PM
    The battery will be replaceable. You don't have to throw the phone away if anything ever does go wrong with it. Any repair shop will be able to swap it out for you in probably 20 minutes. Drop it off. Get some lunch and bam...a new battery. No. Not quite as fast as user replaceable. But not the end of the phone
    I dropped a phone off for a simple screen replacement for a friend. I read online where house wives who never touched a screwdriver were saying they had no problem doing it, so I thought a tech should be able to do it no problem. I didn't back anything up for her, because "anyone should be able to do it". They damaged it disassembling it and it never came on again. The data on the removable chip was ok, but I did not back up other things that were on the on board memory because I thought it was a simple process. The only reason I didn't do it myself was because I felt someone who did them daily would be less likely to mess it up, and I could not be blamed by the owner. If you do drop one off for a simple procedure, back things up somewhere, just in case.
    08-18-2015 07:54 PM
    Sometimes the animals run the zoo. It usually takes a long painful time before order gets restored. If Ever.
    - Signed; Palm, BB, Nokia
    08-18-2015 08:16 PM
    Haha I feel you -- I went from the S6 to the G4 and now the Moto X Style (or Pure Edition in the US) once it is out .
    Why don't you like the G4?
    08-18-2015 08:20 PM
    What about in a year when one of the cells go bad and the bloated battery cracks your case back, and your phone doesn't work, and you can't change the battery out? Options are new phone at full price, refurb phone, or no phone.

I use my Note 3 for business and I'm waiting for my Note 4 to arrive. These were some of my considerations before deciding to pass on the Note 5. After seeing the the drop test results for the glass back, I am glad I passed on it.
    And the back of the note 4 could pop off, hit you in the eye and make you blind. Then what are you going to do?

I've honestly never worried about that with a phone ever. If that happens then it's just really crap luck. And really rare. Yes it can happen I suppose. Maybe my luck with go the other way and I'll win the lottery. Then I won't give a damn.
    Sometimes the animals run the zoo. It usually takes a long painful time before order gets restored. If Ever.
    - Signed; Palm, BB, Nokia
    08-18-2015 08:35 PM
    Better screen and better processor = poor battery life
    Definitely not the case here. The resolution stayed the same but Samsung improved the power consumption on the panels. And the processor has more cores, but is a lot more efficient than the 805 it had before, since it not only has low power cores now, but is also on a smaller process. The battery will definitely be as good or better than the Note 4
    Aquila likes this.
    08-18-2015 08:37 PM
    So far according to the AC poll (OF ANDROID FANATICAL NERDS THAT READ ANDROID CENTRAL) Camera, Premium Build & Materials, Battery Life and Screen are by far and away the most important factors (in that order). Removable stuff fell in behind the screen. This seems to indicate that most android nerds, even the most diehard of googlites, would prefer an iphone over a giant piece of junk with an sd card slot.
    08-18-2015 08:56 PM
    Why don't you like the G4?
    I actually do like my G4 but I have always wanted to try stock android so .. I figure why not go for it? .
    Wildo6882, Aquila and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    08-18-2015 09:04 PM
    I actually do like my G4 but I have always wanted to try stock android so .. I figure why not go for it? .
    I hear ya. I love some of the additions of skins, but man its tough to beat a stock phone. Android looks so good these days. I have a G4 I haven't even tried yet. Debating on selling it or using it until I see the Nexus phones. Those are going to make up my mind on what to use until spring.
    08-18-2015 09:09 PM
    Wow, that's an impressive list.
    Just off the top of my head, here's a partial list of smartphone I've purchased over the years. I still have all of them in my home right now. (please don't call me a phone hoarder... then again, maybe I am one? )

Verizon Samsung Fascinate
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3
    Verizon Samsung Droid Charge
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Rezound
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5
    Verizon Apple iPhone 5C (yes, I know, I know... it's a bloody iPhone)
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Verizon Moto G Prepaid (4 of them, only because they were all free after rebate)
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.4

As far as Samsung phones are concerned, the Note 4 is my very last one. Until they put SD card slot and removable battery back...(which is highly unlikely) I bought and returned the S6 and S6 Edge. Could not live without SD cards or removable batteries, no matter how hard I tried.
    08-18-2015 09:33 PM
    Hah! I used the "ultimate" entertainment device: The NGage. Taco calling was cool. Still have it to marvel at the advancements since then, plus I am sentimental. Kept G1 too
    08-18-2015 10:05 PM
    Just off the top of my head, here's a partial list of smartphone I've purchased over the years. I still have all of them in my home right now. (please don't call me a phone hoarder... then again, maybe I am one? )

Verizon Samsung Fascinate
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3
    Verizon Samsung Droid Charge
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Rezound
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5
    Verizon Apple iPhone 5C (yes, I know, I know... it's a bloody iPhone)
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Verizon Moto G Prepaid (4 of them, only because they were all free after rebate)
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.4

As far as Samsung phones are concerned, the Note 4 is my very last one. Until they put SD card slot and removable battery back...(which is highly unlikely) I bought and returned the S6 and S6 Edge. Could not live without SD cards or removable batteries, no matter how hard I tried.
    Wow. You really were a loyal Samsung customer.

I actually have a phone with no removable battery and no SD card slot (HTC One M7). This was pretty much my experience.
    Attached Thumbnails The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)-1439953965743.jpg  
    bigglyguy likes this.
    08-18-2015 10:12 PM
    This isn't the first Note I won't buy, so maybe my opinion doesn't count as much as some of yours. But I have been an "every 2 years" upgrade since my first crappy cell phone I college 15 or so years ago. But this year my 2 years was up right as the galaxy s6 was coming out. And I hated the fact I was losing my removable battery, it's literally my favorite feature on my old s4. So I almost just got the note 4, I liked the larger size anyways. But upgrading every 2 years, I like to get the absolute state of the art, not a 6 month old phone. With the rate of improvements in phones these days, it does make a difference.

So I decided to wait for the Note 5, even if they changed this to take away removable battery at least I would have the newer better phone. So I waited, and now here I am. The new phone is basically the same specs as the s6 anyways. There isn't much improved over the note 4 anyways, they made the case smaller but same size screen. Except there isn't a removable battery, and the one they did shove in there and seal shut behind it is actually smaller.

I know they're not making phones for me, but it seems like they are 100% focusing on the customers they're never gonna get away from apple anyways and completely ignoring the people who would actually be buying their phones.
    dcstuntman and ScorpionMish like this.
    08-18-2015 10:28 PM
719 ... 1415161718 ...