The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've read folks saying that their local shop CAN replace a degraded battery. I'm trying not to be bummed about it but since my Note 4 is in almost-new condition it doesn't really matter.

from my old nexus 5
I think I remember something from the S6 user manual showing that the battery was fairly easy to replace (for it being a sealed battery). iFixit's tear down should show how easy it is to replace a battery. Either way, a battery doesn't degrade TOO much. Mine has been getting pretty much the same battery life after 6 months of heavy use from me (and I bought it refurbished)

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Of all the different devices I've owned over the years, the only one that had a battery go bad was the BlackBerry 9000, which had a removable battery. I got it in May 2009, and the battery died in July 2010.

I haven't had battery issues with the Nokia Lumia 900 (from 2012), Nokia Lumia 920 (from 2012) or Moto X (from 2013). The batteries on those devices are sealed, but they all lasted longer than that of the removable BlackBerry 9000 battery.

edfranco1

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Better screen and better processor = poor battery life plus who has the time to be plugged in to a wall outlet? So much for Samsung mocking iPhone wall-huggers airport ad campaign.

Who wants there phone opened up especially when its not being done by actual Samsung? Not me.

Yes thats right. I just purchased the Note Edge instead of the new note 5 or edge+ and am really loving it. I think the edge screen beats the s6 and note edge plus hands down. I chose the note edge because of the most two important feature for me, the replaceable battery and SD card. I have several SD cards that i switch out because I have a real huge music collection. I help a friend DJ and bring my music files from my phone to the raves.

YES absolutely, I am with Verizon and they charge an arm and a leg If i go over plus there data plans suck. So I do need my SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 3 to Note 5?

Do you guys think it will be worth going from the Note 3 to the 5? I see a lot want to stay with the 4. I think my N3 is getting on it's final legs here soon (having trouble receiving text messages among other things)

Not having a removable battery and no SD slot makes no difference to me as I never used the extra storage and I never use more than the 1 battery

Also If I make the move this weekend, I would have to go on Verizon's device payment plan (or whatever the heck it's called now)..or I can wait until February when my contract is up. Is this phone worth going on that plan you think?

The note 5 in my view feels better, looks better (subjective), and is faster than the Note 4. Did I forget lighter? The 5 certainly feels like an upgrade over the 4, as it will coming from the Note 3 which I also use. I have in my possession Note 3, Note 4 and note 5. Hands down my favorite of the trio is, the Note 5.

There are many detractors who will tell you to go with the Note 4. They don't own a note 5 nor have any intentions of purchasing one, but feel compelled to offer advice trying to steer people away from the Note 5 based on personal assumptions with zero facts. This is mostly because they can't get passed the fact Samsung removed the SD slot and sealed the battery. Their goal now is to try and lure as many people from purchasing the Note 5 to hurt sales as much as possible, hoping this will send some kind of message to Samsung. Just read the different threads and you will see.

End of the day the choice is yours regardless of the differing opinions. It's your money spend it on what YOU want and not on what someone else tells you. That includes me :D

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Perspective

We will learn to accept the limitations of the device, or we will learn to use another brand device. .

I don't think there are really only 2 groups =-love everything or hate everything. Life and computers are far more complicated than that.

But in any event, when you say "we will learn to accept the limitations of the device, or will learn to use another brand device," that I fully agree with. Indirectly, that last half there is what some of are trying to explain to Samsung. Whether being vocal helps or it's voting with dollars on next upgrade.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Perspective

Whether being vocal helps or it's voting with dollars on next upgrade.

I have had an SD card in my phones for many many years. I use it as a GPS, so I have a lot of offline maps, plus music, and photos. I travel often and having EVERYTHING offline is very useful. My Note 4 does so much, and carries so much on board, it is almost boring. No struggles or hassles, it is just all there.
And no, an OTG cable with a memory card will NOT work. You can't CHARGE the phone running the GPS, while using the OTG cable.
When I am ready for a switch, my dollars will have to go to a device with an internal SD card slot. (or a cheap 128GB unit, which isn't going to happen)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Better screen and better processor = poor battery life plus who has the time to be plugged in to a wall outlet? So much for Samsung mocking iPhone wall-huggers airport ad campaign.

Who wants there phone opened up especially when its not being done by actual Samsung? Not me.

Yes thats right. I just purchased the Note Edge instead of the new note 5 or edge+ and am really loving it. I think the edge screen beats the s6 and note edge plus hands down. I chose the note edge because of the most two important feature for me, the replaceable battery and SD card. I have several SD cards that i switch out because I have a real huge music collection. I help a friend DJ and bring my music files from my phone to the raves.

YES absolutely, I am with Verizon and they charge an arm and a leg If i go over plus there data plans suck. So I do need my SD card.

Can you please quote who you're talking to when responding? I can tell you mean someone but it gets confusing when you just post replying to them and do not quote them.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
All SD card arguments for either side of the debate in this thread are henceforth rendered moot by how much the 64GB model of this phone is going to cost. Dang! I could almost buy the new Moto X outright for what my carrier is going to charge on a subsidy :eek:
Joking aside, I just don't see any value here for an S Pen and OIS camera.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Smaller battery, but better. I'm averaging about 2 hours more of on screen time than I get with my note 4. On pace for 20 hours and 7-1/2 hours screen time. For me the battery is a non-issue now. I normally on have about 4-5 hours screen on so it should last 30 hours or more.[/url]

What about in a year when one of the cells go bad and the bloated battery cracks your case back, and your phone doesn't work, and you can't change the battery out? Options are new phone at full price, refurb phone, or no phone.

I use my Note 3 for business and I'm waiting for my Note 4 to arrive. These were some of my considerations before deciding to pass on the Note 5. After seeing the the drop test results for the glass back, I am glad I passed on it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What about in a year when one of the cells go bad and the bloated battery cracks your case back, and your phone doesn't work, and you can't change the battery out? Options are new phone at full price, refurb phone, or no phone.

You make this sound like it is a guarantee to happen when it definitely isn't.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I guess you don't own a charger that actually plug into the phone?
If you are at your house or in a car, it would make sense to just plug it in.
This is the same argument that Note 3 wireless charging users got from non-wireless charging users. Doesn't fly any further now than then.

You're away from all electrical connections of any kind and your battery tanks because something happened and you suddenly had to super use it. Now what? Life happens and these phones (that's why we pay the big bucks for smart phones) are supposed help pull you out of the dookie. If your battery is dead and you can't charge it how are you going to use the phone to get out of the situation?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Finally had a chance today to see a Note 5 in person at my local Best Buy and completely agree! My black Note 4 (naked) looks better! And that glass back is a freakin' fingerprint magnet! I use my phones naked so that would be a huge issue. Yuck! :( Granted most will put it in a case anyway making it all moot (also covering those so-called "premium materials". So what's the point?).
I did the same thing and had the same reaction. Went home and started looking for the Note 4.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 3 to Note 5?

Do you guys think it will be worth going from the Note 3 to the 5? I see a lot want to stay with the 4. I think my N3 is getting on it's final legs here soon (having trouble receiving text messages among other things)

Not having a removable battery and no SD slot makes no difference to me as I never used the extra storage and I never use more than the 1 battery

Also If I make the move this weekend, I would have to go on Verizon's device payment plan (or whatever the heck it's called now)..or I can wait until February when my contract is up. Is this phone worth going on that plan you think?
Sounds doable for you. I would check out the drop test results before buying, if I were you. Looks like one good drop and your shiny new N5 isn't anymore.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
You make this sound like it is a guarantee to happen when it definitely isn't.
It has happened - first time ever on any phone - my OEM battery shipped with my Note 3 blew a cell and bloated. You have no way to say it can't happen when it can. I never would have imagined that my battery would develop a bad cell and bloat so bad it wouldn't keep the back cover on. But it did and I had the "luxury" of buying a new OEM battery and swapping it out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It has happened - first time ever on any phone - my OEM battery shipped with my Note 3 blew a cell and bloated. You have no way to say it can't happen when it can.

Where did I say it can't happen? I never said that -- at all. I said you act like this is a guarantee to happen.

Can these type of things happen? Sure -- but they definitely do not happen often enough to be a huge problem. I know many people who use phones till they're dead and they haven't had this issue.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
This is the same argument that Note 3 wireless charging users got from non-wireless charging users. Doesn't fly any further now than then.

You're away from all electrical connections of any kind and your battery tanks because something happened and you suddenly had to super use it. Now what? Life happens and these phones (that's why we pay the big bucks for smart phones) are supposed help pull you out of the dookie. If your battery is dead and you can't charge it how are you going to use the phone to get out of the situation?
Not everyone who has a device with a removable battery has an extra battery. I never bought second batteries for my BlackBerry devices. Even when the original battery for the BlackBerry 9000 died, I just bought a single new battery, not two batteries.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Where did I say it can't happen? I never said that -- at all. I said you act like this is a guarantee to happen.

Can these type of things happen? Sure -- but they definitely do not happen often enough to be a huge problem. I know many people who use phones till they're dead and they haven't had this issue.

I actually have a bloated Galaxy S3 battery next to me.

It's getting bigger every day.....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I actually have a bloated Galaxy S3 battery next to me.

It's getting bigger every day.....

And I get that it can happen (again I never said it couldn't) but he said it in a tone that make it sound like 1 year = instant bloated battery. That isn't the case.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
And I get that it can happen (again I never said it couldn't) but he said it in a tone that make it sound like 1 year = instant bloated battery. That isn't the case.

I know. Just saying that I have one. It's pretty scary because the back cover wouldn't close and I only found out about the bloated battery 2 days after.

Isn't the first time, though. We also have a bloated Galaxy S2 battery.

Kinda scary when you keep thinking about it, but thankfully, they're rare. My LG G4 and other phones haven't experienced anything like that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey