03-27-2017 03:21 AM
719 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    nevermind -
    Edit: quoted below... only deleted because I'm tired of the useless debate.
    But good comment below on what I said, thanks.
    08-19-2015 01:40 PM
    I think threads like this are starting to prove that most people don't care what any of our opinions are one way or the other. Unwilling to see a situation from someone else's point of view. Otherwise we'd stop seeing posts like 'get over it' or 'just use a power pack, lol, ha ha ha' right after a detailed explanation of how the two are useful yet different.
    Some of that is a tacit admission that we are powerless to change the specs of the CURRENT Note 5 - so as much as we may agree or disagree with Samsung, we have to figure out a way to deal with the reality of the situation. That said, if people want to get all over Sammy to bring back these features in the next iteration - DO EET! There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting a company know what they can do to earn your business.
    08-19-2015 01:43 PM
    Since I'll be keeping my Note 4 for the foreseeable future, It's time to stock up on some cheap accessories.
    08-19-2015 02:48 PM
    I know. Just saying that I have one. It's pretty scary because the back cover wouldn't close and I only found out about the bloated battery 2 days after.

Isn't the first time, though. We also have a bloated Galaxy S2 battery.

Kinda scary when you keep thinking about it, but thankfully, they're rare. My LG G4 and other phones haven't experienced anything like that.
    That's exactly what happened with my DROID4. And there wasn't an OEM battery available anywhere that wouldn't take weeks to replace at the time.

I'm guessing whatever Samsung does after this generation has gotta address this.
    08-19-2015 03:13 PM
    I think it is a perfectly legitimate of a reason for you, and many other users. I do not believe that most people care - however for those that do, it is CLEARLY important. Only you can say if a purchase is worth your money or not.
    Some of my co-workers call me the crazy phone guy
    when commenting about the 200GB MicroSD cards
    in all three of my smartphones(S5, Note 3 and Note 4).

I guess Samsung feels the same way, which is why
    they are helping me by not having MicroSD cards in
    their flagship phones anymore. Thanks, Samsung!
    08-19-2015 03:13 PM
    Some of my co-workers call me the crazy phone guy
    when commenting about the 200GB MicroSD cards
    in all three of my smartphones(S5, Note 3 and Note 4).

I guess Samsung feels the same way, which is why
    they are helping me by not having MicroSD cards in
    their flagship phones anymore. Thanks, Samsung!
    lol, OEM sparked intervention?
    08-19-2015 03:34 PM
    Nearly everyone needs to get over SD card slot and removable battery. I went from the S4 to the OnePlus One. Once you have a phone with plenty of storage and good battery life you will never look back.

If you like to try out ROMs regularly then a SD card comes in real handy. As for the battery, this is Samsung's fault. They keep making phones with terrible battery life. We need to stop buying them to get them to change.
    08-19-2015 04:03 PM
    That said, if people want to get all over Sammy to bring back these features in the next iteration - DO EET! There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting a company know what they can do to earn your business.
    That's a really good point... Honestly, what kind of input (emails, forums like this, phone calls, ?) do you think they listen to most? I would like to contact them directly, but I am not sure what the most effective way would be...

What do you think, Assassin Droid? or anyone out there?

Thanks!
    08-19-2015 04:30 PM
    That's a really good point... Honestly, what kind of input (emails, forums like this, phone calls, ?) do you think they listen to most? I would like to contact them directly, but I am not sure what the most effective way would be...

Thanks!
    My guesses are the carrier forums, reddit, sammobile, twitter. Direct contact probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't know what the most effective way to get through to them would be.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-19-2015 04:31 PM
    I was dead set on getting the Note 5 till I found out about the non-removable battery. I'm an IT Manager and a heavy user and kill regular batteries. I currently have an LG Optimus G Pro and the 3140 mAh stock battery would last about 3/4 of a day. I got a zerolemon 9300mAh battery and it extended it from anywhere between 1.5 and 2 days for me.

I'm now leaning towards the LG G4. I was hoping for a phone with a more powerful CPU like the Note 5 but the G4 isn't too bad. The stock 3000 mAh battery is smaller than my Optimus, but zerolemon offers an 8500 mAh battery for it.

My other option is to just go with a Note 4, probably used or refurbed. ZL has a 10k mAh battery for that one.

The downside of course is that my phone is frickin huge and heavy. The first day I had the 9300 mAh battery in my Optimus, I was laying in bed holding the phone above my face when I dropped it. Even though it was only about a 12 inch drop, that sucker hurt for 3 days and left a bruise. I'd never use these batteries if I wasn't a power user, but I unfortunately do need them. I've tried external batteries but it's just one more thing to carry around and I carry enough as it is.
    08-19-2015 04:50 PM
    Nearly everyone needs to get over SD card slot and removable battery. I went from the S4 to the OnePlus One. Once you have a phone with plenty of storage and good battery life you will never look back.

If you like to try out ROMs regularly then a SD card comes in real handy. As for the battery, this is Samsung's fault. They keep making phones with terrible battery life. We need to stop buying them to get them to change.
    The problem is what qualifies as plenty of storage. I guarantee you if the max storage was 256GB instead of 64GB almost no one would complain.

Posted via the Android Central App
    rushmore likes this.
    08-19-2015 04:50 PM
    Us folks that value the sd or battery need to look elsewhere now, though the battery options for a larger display device is the G4 or Note 4. Let's see how the Moto X Pure pans out. Might be a great device, but the battery seems a concern, since not the same kind of display as the Note 5 and it's 3000mah.
    08-19-2015 05:00 PM
    The only problem I have with the Note 5 is the lack of SD card. People keep saying Google Drive or some sort of cloud storage but the problem with doing that is placing my videos on there and wanting to watch them, which means streaming, which means burning through my data. I usually have 2-3 movies on my SD card for when I get stuck somewhere, fly or just have some down time. If you're going to remove the SD card why not at least compensate by offering a 128GB storage option? I really hope a 128GB version comes out in the next few months, my contract is up around January and if one isn't out by then I'll either keep the Note 4 or go with another manufacturer... seriously alienated potential customers by doing this.
    knighthawk321 likes this.
    08-19-2015 05:42 PM
    The only problem I have with the Note 5 is the lack of SD card. People keep saying Google Drive or some sort of cloud storage but the problem with doing that is placing my videos on there and wanting to watch them, which means streaming, which means burning through my data. I usually have 2-3 movies on my SD card for when I get stuck somewhere, fly or just have some down time. If you're going to remove the SD card why not at least compensate by offering a 128GB storage option? I really hope a 128GB version comes out in the next few months, my contract is up around January and if one isn't out by then I'll either keep the Note 4 or go with another manufacturer... seriously alienated potential customers by doing this.

The same group of people are the ones being incredulous and wanting their standards used as reference on others (most people are not doing this). That will not change and such types are the same with more serious things than phones. This is one situation where you have a choice, so use it I am just not too warm & fuzzy feeling about the Moto X P/S 3000 mah battery. That to me is just as important as the sd. Good battery life and sd slot are mutually inclusive IMO.

Added: 128GB for almost $1,000 seems too high IMO and probably not going to be an option. If Apple did not have people so heavily invested in their ecosystem they would probably not get away with their 128GB model either. Android users can move to other devices and get to keep using their apps and media.

If Samsung thought 128gb would sell, they would offer them like they did with the S6. I think some posters are right when saying Samsung is willing to lose the heavy media users and gain some iPhone users. Samsung seems to miss the point they do not have millions of users invested in an ecosystem like Apple does.
    Wildo6882, monsieurms and BrockS. like this.
    08-19-2015 06:08 PM

Thanks!
    I contacted Samsung through the Feedback section of their website. I doubt that it will do any good, but I wanted my voice to be heard in more than one way. The other way that it will be heard is when I don't register a Note 5 on their website. I've always registered my devices in the past and called in to ask about accessories. I'm sure that my ~$800 is less than a drop in the bucket with Samsung, but it has meaning to me.
    08-19-2015 06:38 PM
    One thing that many people don't realize is that you can pin your movies, songs, etc to your device. That eliminates the streaming portion and makes it a one time download.
    08-19-2015 07:07 PM
    One problem with the SD card concern is that so many people don't think ahead. Good example and the biggest reason for my concern is 4k video. If I use my phone to record a few events for my daughter in 4k it wouldn't take much at all to even fill the 64GB phone. With 160GB in my note 3 it at least takes longer. I created at 4k 5 min video on my note 3 it was 1.68GB for 5 min. If the note 5 creates 4k video at the same rate then even the note 5 will only get a combined amount of about 2 hours. 2 hours of total record time could go quick. That is also if nothing else is on the phone. Then pics as the phone continue to get higher megapixel cameras also get bigger the pics on my Note one were less the 1mb. My Note 3 pics appear to average around 2.5MB.

Fortunately I use the camera upload functionality in plex to create my own kind of cloud. So I don't have to worry about google screwing with the quality of my videos or pictures.

08-19-2015 07:10 PM
    A little confused. How does pinning content support not needing a SD card. The effect is the same thing.

08-19-2015 07:33 PM
    A little confused. How does pinning content support not needing a SD card. The effect is the same thing.

Pinning content means that you don't have to rely on streaming, it doesn't comment at all on SD cards - as you can pin content to internal or external storage.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-19-2015 07:54 PM
    Pinning content means that you don't have to rely on streaming, it doesn't comment at all on SD cards - as you can pin content to internal or external storage.
    Mav's point is with sd you already have it all stored rather than preloading specific items you might want to use. I prefer calling pinning, media juggling. Folks that like the storage have their reason and folks that like the cloud have their reason. User preference Samsung killed that though as far as the Note 5

The Note 4 is a crowd pleaser'. You want the storage? Great, get a card! You want to use the cloud and the heck with card storage? Great, don't get a card! The Note 4 as a device was more about choice than the Note 5.
    dcstuntman, BrockS. and 21stNow like this.
    08-19-2015 09:46 PM
    The battery access is a dilemma in that now I cant:
    - remove the battery when I want to assure the phone is off. (Ive turned multiple cell phones 'off' at 100% battery then turned them back on a few hours later to find the battery at 90%-ish...only a slightly higher charge than if the phone was 'on.' What was the phone doing? I have a samsung-something smartphone from before the Note model came out that would burn as much, if not more, battery life when shut down as compared to when it was on.
    - I find myself in situations with zero electrical grid access, AC or DC, and the ability to swap a previously charged battery for a low/dead battery is critical to having any functionality. No, solar chargers arent acceptable due to size limitations
    - Ive had several phones whos batteries died yet the phone itself was fully serviceable. Once the battery was replaced the phone was completely functional. The lack of ability to replace a battery dooms a functioning phone to the e-trash heap before its time. So much for concern for the environment....but that isnt unusual in todays environment of engineered-obsolescence

The lack of removable storage is a deal killer no matter what other features the phone has and I will never own another device that lacks the ability. I miss some of my older phones (treo) that had a card that was removable from the top with no other rituals needing to take place. Whomever invented the idea of removable storage being buried within a device to such an extent that virtually a complete disassembly is required needs to have their mouth sewn shut and every time theyre hungry their food needs to be directly inserted into their stomach via having their abdomen surgically opened, underlying tissue pulled out of the way, then their stomach itself accessed via scalpel. Yea...stupid idea.
    - I store all photos and videos on the card. When there are large-quantities, going to multiple other destinations, it is easier to remove the card and off-load the images than to connect a USB cord. Along the same lines, transferring large PDF or other large documents from multiple other devices onto a smartphone is made easier with a removable card
    - I do not use the cloud for anything, at all, under any circumstances, nor will I ever.
    - I have too much experience with smart phones arbitrarily and randomly 'dying' to trust important info to on-board storage. Ive had a smart phone (some model by HTC) 'lock' itself when no lock password had ever been selected then no way to access the phone without a factory-reset. Ive had several phones freeze to the point they were unrecoverable with any solution other than factory reset.
    - Most importantly, when retiring an old phone and bringing a new one into service, having all necessary info on a removable card makes the transition more functional

Samsung: considering the price youre charging for these things, and their physical sizes, there is no reason a removable battery and SD card cant be engineered into the device. Ive been using samsung phone/smart phones since the late 90s. Eliminate the features I find most useful and you will be eliminating the usefulness of your devices to me.
    08-19-2015 09:50 PM
    The good news though for the Note 5 is Samsung did a good job making the display even more efficient- impressive,considering how good the Note 4 already is. Moto X Pure will be real interesting. I will buy the 64GB version- that is unless reviews come out before launch stating the battery life is bad.

Would turn off rapid charging though.
    nimos likes this.
    08-19-2015 10:02 PM
    Mav's point is with sd you already have it all stored rather than preloading specific items you might want to use. I prefer calling pinning, media juggling. Folks that like the storage have their reason and folks that like the cloud have their reason. User preference Samsung killed that though as far as the Note 5

The Note 4 is a crowd pleaser'. You want the storage? Great, get a card! You want to use the cloud and the heck with card storage? Great, don't get a card! The Note 4 as a device was more about choice than the Note 5.
    Actually beyond that it was also about how in my case I can choose the quality I want to sync from my plex server as well. I am willing to put money that it is of higher quality then what we get from google and such.

Ultimately what this is going to do is just drive me(and probably others) away from using my phone or android devices as my primary media devices. I guess my Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet with windows 10 will inherit the 128GB card and i will just ditch android as a media device.
    08-19-2015 10:33 PM
    The problem is what qualifies as plenty of storage. I guarantee you if the max storage was 256GB instead of 64GB almost no one would complain.

You underestimate our ability to complain.

But seriously--these points have been made, but at current prices, how much would a Note 5 with 256gb of storage cost? $1100? $1200? I'm out at those price ranges. If it existed it would not be realistic, which is likely why it doesn't exist. And when we change phones, we incur the extra cost each time and buy that space over and again. So, you're not just getting slaughtered once. They keep making you buy the same storage over and again. And, finally, how much time will it take to set up that much storage (versus flipping a card in)? Even mere copying will take some effort at that size.

(Latest AC poll--11% put removable storage as most important feature; 8% removable batteries. No one cares? 676 votes for removable storage as the most important feature. A minority, as conceded, but a large enough slice of a market intensely wanting a feature to be the difference between success and failure in a tough market, perhaps.)

There is really nothing more efficient and cost-effective than an SD card solution. Someone should invent the concept and explain it to Samsung. In fact, based on another poster's comment, I just sent these comments direct to Samsung, for whatever use it may have. Venting here is nice, but these threads have long since started to repeat themselves. Everyone should send feedback to Samsung and then vote with their dollars when the next upgrade time comes.
    dcstuntman and 21stNow like this.
    08-20-2015 07:08 AM
    I'm not a Note user. I never have been and probably never will be. But here is the thing that really pisses me off about this whole situation....

Identity.

Samsung used to be THE go to manufacturer for a killer Android device. They had some things about their devices that some didn't like (TouchWiz anyone?), but they made really good devices that had great marketing and a great fan base. Now they took that away and they are changing to something that has already been done (ala Apple). If I want an iPhone, I'll buy an iPhone.

I used a Galaxy S Epic 4G and had a Galaxy S4. I dropped my S4 by accident a few times (without a case) and it never shattered the screen. The body is dinged up, but that's ok. Now I use an S6. I love the device, it's awesome, but FFS Samsung, don't decrease the battery size and make the device so slim that it is uncomfortable to use. Also, slippery glass on the back? WTF were you thinking? Quick charging is awesome, but it doesn't beat all day battery life with heavy usage.

I don't want to rant too much. Samsung is doing a lot of things well, but also screwing up a ton of stuff that I really liked about them. The Note5 is not an upgrade, I don't care what you think. A less durable build, same screen and camera quality, no option for removable storage or battery (which doesn't bother me but they are subtracted features), and added software features. That's what Apple does on their S iterations for their devices. That isn't you, Samsung.

The point of my comment: I will not be buying anymore Samsung devices. As a matter of fact, and I mean this, I would rather use a Moto G 2015 (2/16, of course) than use my S6. The build quality, the feel in hand, UX, and the battery life are worth it to me. Unfortunately, I cannot do that because I am on VZW. I will not stand up to paying out the wazoo anymore for a device that upsets me. I hope others feel the same and hop off of the bandwagon of buying the latest device so it can be a fashion accessory.
    BrockS., monsieurms and dcstuntman like this.
    08-20-2015 07:48 AM
719 ... 1617181920 ...