03-27-2017 03:21 AM
719 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I'm not a Note user. I never have been and probably never will be. But here is the thing that really pisses me off about this whole situation....

Identity.

Samsung used to be THE go to manufacturer for a killer Android device. They had some things about their devices that some didn't like (TouchWiz anyone?), but they made really good devices that had great marketing and a great fan base. Now they took that away and they are changing to something that has already been done (ala Apple). If I want an iPhone, I'll buy an iPhone.

I used a Galaxy S Epic 4G and had a Galaxy S4. I dropped my S4 by accident a few times (without a case) and it never shattered the screen. The body is dinged up, but that's ok. Now I use an S6. I love the device, it's awesome, but FFS Samsung, don't decrease the battery size and make the device so slim that it is uncomfortable to use. Also, slippery glass on the back? WTF were you thinking? Quick charging is awesome, but it doesn't beat all day battery life with heavy usage.

I don't want to rant too much. Samsung is doing a lot of things well, but also screwing up a ton of stuff that I really liked about them. The Note5 is not an upgrade, I don't care what you think. A less durable build, same screen and camera quality, no option for removable storage or battery (which doesn't bother me but they are subtracted features), and added software features. That's what Apple does on their S iterations for their devices. That isn't you, Samsung.

The point of my comment: I will not be buying anymore Samsung devices. As a matter of fact, and I mean this, I would rather use a Moto G 2015 (2/16, of course) than use my S6. The build quality, the feel in hand, UX, and the battery life are worth it to me. Unfortunately, I cannot do that because I am on VZW. I will not stand up to paying out the wazoo anymore for a device that upsets me. I hope others feel the same and hop off of the bandwagon of buying the latest device so it can be a fashion accessory.
    I am in a different siutation but I feel the same way. The Note series was always about being the biggest and best and having every feature you could want. I have never bought a Note, but even I am disspoointed in Samsung in getting rid of removable storage and battery in their Note 5. That was like one of the biggest positives for having a Note. It WAS the phone for any power user. If anything it gave people the choice. Taking choice away is silly. I mean for petes sake, MOTOROLA went back to removable storage for their flagships and the last time they had a flagship with removable storage was back in 2012. Outside of Apple, everyone has removable storage in their phones, but now Samsung is literally being like Apple in this aspect. Seriously bad move.

Currently I am rocking an LG Lancet Windows Phone and I have very little complaints I still want to use my upgrade in December. But so far not one manufacturer has shown me something good (good performance, battery life and a nonphablet). The only thing that comes close is the freaking Moto G 2015 and that is a low end phone. I am sitting this year out it seems. Unless the iPhone 6S is really compelling. I may get that.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-20-2015 09:47 AM
    You underestimate our ability to complain.

But seriously--these points have been made, but at current prices, how much would a Note 5 with 256gb of storage cost? $1100? $1200? I'm out at those price ranges. If it existed it would not be realistic, which is likely why it doesn't exist. And when we change phones, we incur the extra cost each time and buy that space over and again. So, you're not just getting slaughtered once. They keep making you buy the same storage over and again. And, finally, how much time will it take to set up that much storage (versus flipping a card in)? Even mere copying will take some effort at that size.

(Latest AC poll--11% put removable storage as most important feature; 8% removable batteries. No one cares? 676 votes for removable storage as the most important feature. A minority, as conceded, but a large enough slice of a market intensely wanting a feature to be the difference between success and failure in a tough market, perhaps.)

There is really nothing more efficient and cost-effective than an SD card solution. Someone should invent the concept and explain it to Samsung. In fact, based on another poster's comment, I just sent these comments direct to Samsung, for whatever use it may have. Venting here is nice, but these threads have long since started to repeat themselves. Everyone should send feedback to Samsung and then vote with their dollars when the next upgrade time comes.
    Actually I do know that some would still complain. I believe I said most.

The prices you mentioned would be a problem but I would contend that it shouldn't reach those levels. Think of it like this. A 120MB nand SSD for a computer is less the $100. A 256 GB SSD is less then $200. The capacities should be 64, 128, 256. None of the phones with those sizes should be should be above $900. I would probably say between 64 and 128 should be $50 and another $100 to go to 256.

They probably would only need to make about 5-10% of all the phones with the max capacity. 15-20% at 128 and the rest 64 GB base.

What is foolish about all this is the least complicated and cost impacting solution is simply allow an SD Card.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-20-2015 10:28 AM
    Samsung's own M-Sata drive for laptops and such at 250GB is only $185 on Newegg currently.

08-20-2015 10:41 AM
    Except for the people that wouldn't want to pay for a 256GB version...

What qualifies as plenty of storage? This is directly comparable to the amount of mobile data you use each month. If I have a 10GB data bucket and never go over 5GB, then I essentially have unlimited data. If you use 32GB of storage on your phone, then 64GB is virtually unlimited. For those of us that know what a gigabyte is and how much storage we already use, we likely won't keep the phone more than a year. It isn't hard to predict how much storage you will need on your device for a period of 12 or less months.

If you shoot 4K video, sure you might need lots of space. But who shoots 4K video occasionally? Not many, if you shoot 4K video you are doing it frequently. At that point you are already moving video files off your phone regularly. Isn't having excessive storage on a phone all about future proofing yourself anyway? Sure some people have huge music collections. Upload it to Amazon Music or Google Play Music and be done with it. It is really convenient to ask my Amazon Echo to play a song rather than getting my phone out. Sometimes I want to stream music to my PC and Google Play Music makes that easy and free. Carrying my entire library of music just isn't needed anymore!

What we want and what we need are different. We are losing the ability to tell the difference.

Sure, someone will probably read this and say "I need 256 gigabytes of storage on my phone." Lets imagine you do, you are part of a group that is less than .01%. Manufacturers that sell millions of phones aren't making phones for you.
    L_E_O likes this.
    08-20-2015 10:47 AM
    The card business is far too huge and correlates directly with the growth of Android devices to be just .01 of a percent. The card business would be stagnant and there would not be hundreds of millions in investments with fitting more storage in micro sd and faster sd releasing early next year.

The mix is at least 15% to fit the marginal growth of micro sd storage. The Note 5 will be a good litmus for this estimate. I think people that want the storage will move on and Samsung's changes are not going to lure hardly any iPhone users- that is unless they can still use all their apps media and iTunes. Most Apple users actually like iTunes and only Android ex-patriots tout the freedom of drag and drop.

Notice please I do not speak in absolutes or impose my standard on others, not unlike some folks posting here in the name of the Incredulity Police
    monsieurms, GrooveRite and A895 like this.
    08-20-2015 11:03 AM
    Samsung will probably come out with a Note 5 + or other variation soon. But remember this video. Samsung forgot why people liked their phones.

monsieurms and Smoochie McBoo like this.
    08-20-2015 11:40 AM
    The prices you mentioned would be a problem but I would contend that it shouldn't reach those levels. Think of it like this. A 120MB nand SSD for a computer is less the $100. A 256 GB SSD is less then $200. The capacities should be 64, 128, 256. None of the phones with those sizes should be should be above $900. I would probably say between 64 and 128 should be $50 and another $100 to go to 256. They probably would only need to make about 5-10% of all the phones with the max capacity. 15-20% at 128 and the rest 64 GB base.
    I'm not that optimistic considering what prices are right now ($700, T-Mobile, 32gb and $779 for 64gb). That's an $80 uptick for the easiest part, for just 32gb to 64gb. It would seem to make your numbers look very optimistic for 64 to 128. If you're talking about what it SHOULD be, I understand. What it's likely to be... That's another issue.

For one thing, miniaturization always seems to cost extra when you get into rarified air...and when, as you indicate, there will not be many devices made at the higher level, there is less ability to amortize costs with quantity of sales. (The old Henry Ford dictum that if you can sell a lot, you can sell them for less money and make your money off of volume rather than profit margin.) Then, too, is the theory some have that Samsung quite deliberately sees this as a great way to ramp up profits, but that's another story.

Anyone have an actual number right now on the actual difference between 64 and 128 on the 5 at a USA carrier?

Even so and in any event, we're talking about adding a significant sum to an already pricey phone. Add accesories, etc. There are suddenly lots of choices.

What is foolish about all this is the least complicated and cost impacting solution is simply allow an SD Card.
    Exactly. Of course, as noted, that assumes they want to give a cost effective solution.
    rushmore likes this.
    08-20-2015 11:47 AM
    And in spite of the poor battery life Apple held on to their customer base and grew even more. More to the point the device is not as important as the Apple ecosystem to those consumers. Samsung is not going to lure people away from the iPhone by being more like the iPhone.
    dcstuntman, A895 and monsieurms like this.
    08-20-2015 01:12 PM
    Samsung will probably come out with a Note 5 + or other variation soon. But remember this video. Samsung forgot why people liked their phones.

Yes, when people ask why we're excited about this, we point out that it was Samsung that taught us to be excited about it. They can't have it both ways.
    tadpoles and A895 like this.
    08-20-2015 01:28 PM
    Same reasons why i skipped the S6. Hello LG.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-20-2015 01:43 PM
    Devil's advocate question for all:
    If Incipio makes a case for the Note5 with battery and micro SD card slot that supports 128GB would you come back?
    The S6 edge version is $90

Here's the link:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=1LxX5Ncu
    08-20-2015 03:49 PM
    If Incipio makes a case for the Note5 with battery and micro SD card slot that supports 128GB would you come back?

Here's the link:
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Battery Case | Galaxy S6 Cases | Incipio
    Never heard of that. It is still an unnecessary cost, although a far smaller one now, and it locks me into incipio. (Spigen fan here..) I'd rather keep my choices open, but that is intriguing. I'd like to see how thick it feels, how well the switch from charge to storage works, how reliable it is...how reliable encryption with it is.

It's interesting enough to interest me. It has some obvious limits.
    08-20-2015 04:23 PM

Here's the link:
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Battery Case | Galaxy S6 Cases | Incipio
    No, why should someone spend an extra almost hundred dollars on something that should be part of the device? I can see a case, I can a little see extended battery cases for phones with terrible battery life. But that plus storage too? Seems like I may as well got another phone instead of spending hundreds on a phone and another hundred for extra features. Manufacturers like Samsung need to cut the crap and go back to what made the s2 and s3 the most popular Android phones ever.
    21stNow and dcstuntman like this.
    08-20-2015 04:25 PM
    "The Note 4 is a crowd pleaser'. You want the storage? Great, get a card! You want to use the cloud and the heck with card storage? Great, don't get a card! The Note 4 as a device was more about choice than the Note 5."

You nailed it with this statement... The previous Note's gave people a lot of choices, but now not so much.

I'm sure a lot of people will be happy with their pretty Note 5... but I never seen this much complaining on the forms about any of the previous Note's, whether it was looks or functionality. Will these choices pay off for Samsung? I personally hope the Note 5 sales are **** compared the the Note 4, so hopefully the Note 6 will be something that I'll buy again.

What I want to know is why anyone would want a phone with a glass back, especially one this big? Is the looks of the phone really worth having a glass back? And how many people who buy the SG6's and Note 5's actually are brave enough to go without a case... if the vast majority use a case, then what is the point of having a pretty glass back when you have a case on the phone? I always have a case on my phones, and there's no F' way I would even consider using a glass backed phone without a case... so again what's the F' is the point of a pretty glass back.

Everyone who thinks the Garilla Glass 4 on the back is so tough... have you watched any drop test like this one below? With a glass back you've got almost 100% chance of breaking your phone from dropping more than a couple feet high on a hard surface.

08-20-2015 04:47 PM
    Yup, ironic how much the S6 and Note 5 are now like the iPhones they were poking fun at in that commercial! My favorite was in this extended version where a guy swaps out the battery while a nearby iPhone user (who saw him do it) looks at the back of his phone with a "Why don't I have that option?" look on his face.

Shared back to Samsung!
    08-20-2015 04:55 PM

Here's the link:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=uw3vz92-
    No. That isn't ant better then using a wireless external drive like a Seagate satellite wireless drive.

It effectively mounts like a drive using a OTG cable. From what I can tell it won't integrate with apps in the phone. It would allow you to store the files with the phone but you may have to move them back and forth.

My biggest reason for it would be for plex syncing. So if plex can't set it as a storage location it won't work.

monsieurms likes this.
    08-20-2015 05:22 PM
    Wow, that's an impressive list.
    I'm taking Note of it.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-20-2015 05:25 PM
    The lack of a battery was a big problem for me, but then I picked up an external battery from Amazon for like 9$ and that works fine for me.

But the lack of an SD slot kills the deal for me.,

My Note 4 is the best smart phone I've ever had, and I started back in the day with the Blackberry Storm.

I simply cannot see any advantage to bumping up, and may even look for a Note 4 Edge on craigslist.

But for my purposes, the 4 is fine.
    08-20-2015 05:34 PM
    "The Note 4 is a crowd pleaser'. You want the storage? Great, get a card! You want to use the cloud and the heck with card storage? Great, don't get a card! The Note 4 as a device was more about choice than the Note 5."

You nailed it with this statement... The previous Note's gave people a lot of choices, but now not so much.

I'm sure a lot of people will be happy with their pretty Note 5... but I never seen this much complaining on the forms about any of the previous Note's, whether it was looks or functionality. Will these choices pay off for Samsung? I personally hope the Note 5 sales are **** compared the the Note 4, so hopefully the Note 6 will be something that I'll buy again.

What I want to know is why anyone would want a phone with a glass back, especially one this big? Is the looks of the phone really worth having a glass back? And how many people who buy the SG6's and Note 5's actually are brave enough to go without a case... if the vast majority use a case, then what is the point of having a pretty glass back when you have a case on the phone? I always have a case on my phones, and there's no F' way I would even consider using a glass backed phone without a case... so again what's the F' is the point of a pretty glass back.

Everyone who thinks the Garilla Glass 4 on the back is so tough... have you watched any drop test like this one below? With a glass back you've got almost 100% chance of breaking your phone from dropping more than a couple feet high on a hard surface.

Well people have been complaining about the polycarbonate for so long, Samsung listened and now people are complaining.

I warned people, the polycarbonate is durable, it is light, it is everything people want in a phone, but it didn't feel premium to many and they complained until the cows came home.

Sometimes people need to be careful what they ask for, they just might get it.
    Aquila, Adawg1203 and 21stNow like this.
    08-20-2015 06:52 PM
    Well people have been complaining about the polycarbonate for so long, Samsung listened and now people are complaining.

I warned people, the polycarbonate is durable, it is light, it is everything people want in a phone, but it didn't feel premium to many and they complained until the cows came home.

Sometimes people need to be careful what they ask for, they just might get it.
    I've been happy with my metal framed leather & plastic phones from Moto.
    Adawg1203, A895 and Kelly Kearns like this.
    08-20-2015 06:54 PM
    I've been happy with my metal framed leather & plastic phones from Moto.
    You know how people complained about "plastic Samsungs" and Samsung listened and changed it and now people are complaining that it is different material.

I was fine with the polycarbonate Samsung phones.
    Aquila, 21stNow and Adawg1203 like this.
    08-20-2015 06:59 PM
    You know how people complained about "plastic Samsungs" and Samsung listened and changed it and now people are complaining that it is different material.

I was fine with the polycarbonate Samsung phones.
    Didn't the Note 4 also have a metal frame?
    08-20-2015 07:10 PM
    Didn't the Note 4 also have a metal frame?
    Yup it did and it was the heaviest of all. Heavy enough after a long day of using the phone, it was uncomfortable for me.
    08-20-2015 07:26 PM
    I am a Note II user. While not a slave to Samsung, I've liked Samsung for the simple reason that they always brought their A-game when it came to the Note series devices. When it was announced that the Note 5 would ship without SD card support and a removable battery, I was just as surprised as anyone else. The Note series smartphones are targeted at power users, and it made absolutely no sense for Samsung to just ignore what their hitherto loyal customers wanted. The use of a smaller battery, and lack of even a 128GB version was shocking, to say the least. I was disappointed, and had pretty much resolved to look at alternate options for an upgrade.

And then I saw the reviews and the pictures, and I couldn't help but marvel at how awesome the phone looked. The screen is apparently the best on any handheld device available today. And I absolutely love the truly professional design aesthetics of the phone. But my reservations remained; I can't imagine not having access to my music and movies/TV shows/videos for the daily commute.

I looked at dual USB-port thumb drives as an OTG workaround. And then I came across the Kingston MobileLite Wireless. This promised to be a great option to ensure I never ran out of storage. It could remain in my bag, connected to the phone via wifi, and ensure all content on my 64Gig micro-SD card remains accessible. Even better, I could connect any USB storage device to it and have access to content on that as well. And when traveling with friends, they too could connect and access any content on it! Storage concern solved!

Removable battery.. Well, I doubt this phone would die out on me within a day, so my regular nightly charging scheduled should suffice in most cases. It also helps that the Kingston device packs a 4600mAH battery as well, so I would have access to some extra juice if required.

And so I've decided to go ahead and get myself a Note 5 a couple months down the line, maybe even convince the missus to do the same. Its the best Android smartphone available yet; why settle for less?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-20-2015 07:42 PM

Here's the link:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=W6mUBpL7
    Reading the reviews on Amazon and other sites shows most have problems with it due mainly to OTG not being designed for app integration with Android. The OTG also vanishes and not as stable as sd. Can't charge while using either.

The S6 version makes the S6 Note sized, so shudder to think of a Note version.
    21stNow and monsieurms like this.
    08-20-2015 10:18 PM
719 ... 1718192021 ...