The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
How much stuff do you store on your phone that you need every day?

That misses the point. Perhaps that point makes sense if your usage patterns are different. Some have other usage patterns. For me...Having 20 albums, for instance, in internal memory and changing them every three weeks and always looking for the one that's not there would not be an acceptable alternative. I like most of my library with me because it provides choices. Not constantly reloading things. Not relying on streaming. Not missing what I want because I forgot it.

To be sure, all these things are 1st world problems. :) We don't need any of this stuff. That, too, misses the point. When we buy pricey high-end phones, though, we expect to get some frills and things, things that make life easy and better and more interesting, not harder, duller and more complicated. More choices--good. Less choices--bad. $700+ on a phone--I should have choices. ;)

Also as far as charging issues, there are cases that charge that are made. Solves the charging issue.

Yes, there are a zillion workarounds. Which doesn't always mean they are good ones, fast ones, cheap ones or simple one. This one "solves" it by eliminating most choices for cases, for just one instance. Really, no solution is more elegant, faster or easier to apply than a new battery. That's why it's a preferred solution by many.

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I was there before. I owned a Moto X (2013) no external storage or removable battery. While fine, it had several drawbacks that bummed me out. With no external storage, using the cloud storage became more important than ever before and that was annoying. Wanted to do a reset? Sure great, but I missed out on some important pics and other things that weren't backed up correctly or were lost.

And storage, done get me started, because everything is internal storage, all your vids, pics, movies, apps etc. All occupied the same space. Having internet storage literally made me not want to have any of my stuff on it in fear of losing it or using up too much space.

Removable battery is debatable, I see the benefits of having it. But the option to have it is better than not to. I did see a benefit today where my Lancet froze and doing a soft reset wasn't working, so I was able to pull the battery. Otherwise I have no idea what would have happened.

That's the thing though. It sucks choice is being taken away nowadays. That has been and always will be Androids strength of which is choice. But when it comes to hardware with Android there is so many compromises nowadays. If I'm going to go no external storage or removable battery, I'm going iPhone. At least I get guaranteed updates and less hardware related headaches.

There was an article I read today on /r/Android about how the way manufacturers are acting lately moving to iOS seems more reasonable especially since the feature gap between the two is shrinking every year.

But this is my opinion. I don't know if I'll come back to Android. The update situation still worries me, as you have to choose the right phone or else your phone is outdated in a year. Blackberry s ems promising if they get something on Verizon and I am interested where W10 goes. The iPhone 6S seems like a good bet too.

But Samsung is definitely dropping the ball lately. Hope they don't alienate too much of their fanbase.

Posted via the Android Central App
I really do respect everyone's opinion here, but stuff like Samsung is "alienating their core audience" and "dropping the ball" is simply just not true. They may have removed a few features that you and others (including me) have used in the past, but the evolution here is net positive for most folks, including lots of power users. I bought spare batteries for every Note up until the Note 4. Fast charging and the evolution of portable external chargers made a spare irrelevant to me. I'd rather spend that $20-40 on a portable charger than can do more than just pop in my specific phone... it can charge all my crap. Same with photos and cloud/offline storage. There are several apps that will automatically offload pics/videos to personal offline or cloud storage the second you're on your WiFi network and charging. I just don't have a need to have 10s of GBs of pics or vids in my pocket, and if I need one in particular that badly, you can stream it on the spot.

It's just really dramatic to somehow say these two things have "ruined" a device this great. To each their own, but if you haven't already, I'd really encourage you to go pick one up, behold this beast, and then think about the alternatives to doing things the way you were. You might find that you can compromise after all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, yes, it solves it if you want to keep downgrading the choices. You just eliminated most choices for cases, for instance. Really, no solution is more elegant, faster or easier to apply than a new battery.

😐

No it doesn't downgrade choices. I know people that have charging cases and only put them on when their battery is low and/or they know they are away from being able to charge.

As far as having everything on your phone that you might think about listening to or watching..it is beyond first world problems.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I really do respect everyone's opinion here, but stuff like Samsung is "alienating their core audience" and "dropping the ball" is simply just not true. They may have removed a few features that you and others (including me) have used in the past, but the evolution here is net positive for most folks, including lots of power users. I bought spare batteries for every Note up until the Note 4. Fast charging and the evolution of portable external chargers made a spare irrelevant to me. I'd rather spend that $20-40 on a portable charger than can do more than just pop in my specific phone... it can charge all my crap. Same with photos and cloud/offline storage. There are several apps that will automatically offload pics/videos to personal offline or cloud storage the second you're on your WiFi network and charging. I just don't have a need to have 10s of GBs of pics or vids in my pocket, and if I need one in particular that badly, you can stream it on the spot.

It's just really dramatic to somehow say these two things have "ruined" a device this great. To each their own, but if you haven't already, I'd really encourage you to go pick one up, behold this beast, and then think about the alternatives to doing things the way you were. You might find that you can compromise after all.

BINGO!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
������

No it doesn't downgrade choices. I know people that have charging cases and only out them on when their battery is low and/or they know they are away from being able to charge.

As far as having everything on your phone that you might think about listening to or watching. It is beyond first world problems.

The first comment here is the equivalent of the external battery pack argument we've seen made many times. As many of us have pointed out, it's hardly the same solution as a tiny little battery replacement that gets you to 100% in 75 seconds. The second references one example of many that have appeared in these threads from dozens of posters.

Clearly, neither resonates with you in the context of your usage patterns, which is fine and hardly unusual. But that's not the same as saying it is trivial to everyone. The flexibility is valuable to me and these will remain deal-breaker issues for as long as I have a choice. I at no time pledged to honor, obey and love Samsung until death do us part.

P.s. The speculation on whether Samsung is alienating its core is hardly just limited to a handful of posters in this forum. It includes professional commentators and comments sections there, too.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
For those that had been on the fence for getting a new Note because of these two missing features Have changed their mind after trying one. They have been posting in the Note 5 thread about how wrong they were to judge this phone. I remember I was on the fence about it because I didn't think I could deal without an SD card. 8 days later, I'm pretty happy. I have a wireless flash drive that I can turn on to get my music, videos and documents instantly transferred to my phone.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Yawn..... Are we still discussing this? I think it's time to move on and find another phone to complain about people.

As new people enter the debate and say the same thing someone said 3 threads and 500 posts ago, and I find myself repeating the same rebuttal points, this thought occurred to me as well. (Several times) I just can't resist.....

Help me. :) Is there a 12 step program?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The first comment here is the equivalent of the external battery pack argument we've seen made many times. As many of us have pointed out, it's hardly the same solution as a tiny little battery replacement that gets you to 100% in 75 seconds. The second references one example of many that have appeared in these threads from dozens of posters.

Clearly, neither resonates with you in the context of your usage patterns, which is fine and hardly unusual. But that's not the same as saying it is trivial to everyone. The flexibility is valuable to me and these will remain deal-breaker issues for as long as I have a choice. I at no time pledged to honor, obey and love Samsung until death do us part.

P.s. The speculation on whether Samsung is alienating its core is hardly just limited to a handful of posters in this forum. It includes professional commentators and comments sections there, too.

Yeah it does resonate with me. I have actually been in the worst tornadoes in history and without power for 3 weeks.

I have never, even during pulling bodies and victims out from rubble, not been able to plug my phone into an external battery or my car.

I just can't even with these threads anymore. I don't know anyone, even people that save lives, that can't stick their phone on an external charger of some kind, for a few minutes.

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
As new people enter the debate and say the same thing someone said 3 threads and 500 posts ago, and I find myself repeating the same rebuttal points, this thought occurred to me as well. (Several times) I just can't resist.....

Lol. On this, we agree

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

We need a mod to just close the thread.

AlanInAdamsTN

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Note 5 a whole 6 hours later

Pretty much every phone ever to Note 4 to LG G4 to Note 5 - I had two G4's and both had issues..screen problems their updates didn't correct.. Full disclosure: My wife has a G4 and it's not missing a beat, works great and its awesome to see a 2015 beast with a SD card and removable battery, but my patience ran out. So far all I can say as someone who loudly proclaimed the Note 4 as the baddest phone available is this - The Note 5 is the Note 4 on meth. This thing is quick. So far no complaints.

DanielJ_Film

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Here is Why you should but a phone with internal battery and storage.

I work as a Technician for Sprint and I work on 25-30 phones a day and have done this for about 10 years. I can't even begin to tell you how many customers I have had come in mad that we can't replace there defective battery after the first year. I have done some research and according to all the major companies the battery is covered for the first year and then your required to purchase a new one. Now with a phone with a built in battery we replace the phone if they are having battery issues. I preferrer having a built in battery for this reason and the majority of Samsung battery's I would find to be defective and swollen. So your someone who likes to carry around a bunch of battery's will the battery technology is getting better to where you don't need too. The solution to someone who needs a extra battery is to buy one of those external battery chargers and carry that around, they range in size so you can pick up a credit card sized on to a huge brick.

On to the memory card, I understand the need to expand storage as you movie along in life but the major issue I find with the memory cards is they have a huge habit of failing and even causing a phone to freeze and slow down. Now all my comments are from me working on again 25-30 phones a day for a long time and I have seen all these issues and a lot. I had more situations then I can count where the memory card failed and now the customer lost everything these were everything from generic memory cards to the big brand names so no one is excluded here. I have also seen where a phone kept freezing up and then when I took the memory card out it was now smooth as butter. I have also seen the memory card to be the cause of some phones overheating the phone and I have actually been burned by trying to take a memory card out that melted the plastic behind it. With internal memory it operates faster and has a lower failure rate. My suggestion here is to buy a bigger size phone if you can afford it and if you can't then upload everything to online storage and keep on moving.

It is my opinion but working on so many phones a day for so long I have gained an extensive knowledge of the issues with phones and I think the removable battery and storage are overrated and this is just my opinion.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Will Samsung bring back the SD Card slot for the Note 6 ?

You think Samsung will bring back the SD card slot with the Note 6 or future phones?

I think they will in the form of a tray like on the new Tab S2. :p

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will Samsung bring back the SD Card slot for the Note 6 ?

I would definitely bet that Samsung brings back the memory card access back in their 2016 line of phones.

Samsung took a big dive in stock value and just regular reputation this year, and they'd be smart to take it seriously. Motorola took away memory card access a few years ago, now they're bringing them back to their on their new phones. So if Motorola can do it, you know Samsung will have to bring it back.

LG still listens to what people what, they still have the removable battery and SD card support.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will Samsung bring back the SD Card slot for the Note 6 ?

it's up to them but whoever decided against a removable battery and sd card slot needs to be held accountable. Samsung tried to be something they aren't this year it thankfully cost them big time.

They have to correct a lot of stuff with the upcoming phones next year and hopefully use a SD 820.

I hope LG finally adds a physical home, back and recent apps button plus a stronger cpu.

But we will see I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung doesn't go back and introduces some more useless health and smartphone pay stuff :(