03-27-2017 03:21 AM
719 12345 ...
tools
    I don't know if you know it exists...

...But I've been using that camera shortcut for 3 years on an old S3. :P

The secret is some app called Home2, but it's pretty dang old now.
    Thanks, I didn't know about it. The advantage of the double-tap home button is of course the speed from <phone off> to opening the camera app, so you can quickly get a pic and not miss a shot. If it's slow (and not built in), that would seem to defeat some of the purpose. I can also open it fairly quickly from the lock screen too, so it would have to be faster than that.

Glad to know about the app though. I'm gonna try it on some other phones.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-14-2015 08:49 AM
    I know it seems to be the cool thing right now to hate on the Note 5... but I WILL BE BUYING ONE. I currently have a Note 3 and while I am a bit concerned about the storage space on the Note 5.... I think I will be fine as long as I get the 64 GB model (or 128 if it becomes available).

I want the much improved camera with optical image stabilization and general improved hardware that comes with the Note 5. I will probably get one as soon as it comes out.
    08-14-2015 08:56 AM
    I don't know if you know it exists...

...But I've been using that camera shortcut for 3 years on an old S3. :P

The secret is some app called Home2, but it's pretty dang old now.
    If the camera doesn't open up instantly then it's not the same thing.
    08-14-2015 09:00 AM
    If the camera doesn't open up instantly then it's not the same thing.
    It depends on how quick the phone launches the camera app in the first place.

I installed it on my G4 and it launched the camera in almost exactly the same speed as on the S6.
    08-14-2015 09:02 AM
    Legitimate reasons, please.

Don't just say "Because it doesn't have a removable battery and SD card slot" because that's frankly overused and we know that's one reason why you wouldn't buy one over some others.
    Well, in addition, ignoring that there are deal breaker issues you referenced, I wouldn't upgrade here. I have been planning to try to stop the constant upgrades in general! Now, I will grant that I'm often subject to that dangerous malady known as "upgrade-itis." So, ignoring those deal breaker issues for the moment as you asked, it is always possible something really cool comes down the pike with features I can't live without, and my resolve weakens and then shatters.

But I'd say in looking at the 5 that there just isn't enough to justify buying such a pricey phone when I already have the 4, a pricey phone, that's paid off, up to date and working great.

The concepts of "good enough" phones and/or "bored with the constant upgrades as changes become incremental" is discussed in this very good article:

Why Samsung should be nervous about its premium Galaxy smartphones - CNET

I think it's the coming thing. The market is changing. By analogy, it reminds me of Microsoft WORD. At a certain point, WORD did so many things so well--including about a billion things I never use---that there just wasn't any point to upgrading any more. What could it really give me to justify the often high upgrade price that I wasn't already doing? Not much. Haven't upgraded in a long time. Now, hardware does tend to wear out and/or become obsolete in specs faster than software, but the upgrade process is slowing down. It just doesn't seem as urgent any more. The incremental advances aren't exciting. I have a phone that does everything I want.
    08-14-2015 09:11 AM
    Well, in addition, ignoring that there are deal breaker issues you referenced, I wouldn't upgrade here. I have been planning to try to stop the constant upgrades in general! Now, I will grant that I'm often subject to that dangerous malady known as "upgrade-itis." So, ignoring those deal breaker issues for the moment as you asked, it is always possible something really cool comes down the pike with features I can't live without, and my resolve weakens and then shatters.

But I'd say in looking at the 5 that there just isn't enough to justify buying such a pricey phone when I already have the 4, a pricey phone, that's paid off, up to date and working great.

The concepts of "good enough" phones and/or "bored with the constant upgrades as changes become incremental" is discussed in this very good article:

Why Samsung should be nervous about its premium Galaxy smartphones - CNET

I think it's the coming thing. The market is changing. By analogy, it reminds me of Microsoft WORD. At a certain point, WORD did so many things so well--including about a billion things I never use---that there just wasn't any point to upgrading any more. What could it really give me to justify the often high upgrade price that I wasn't already doing? Not much. Haven't upgraded in a long time. Now, hardware does tend to wear out and/or become obsolete in specs faster than software, but the upgrade process is slowing down. It just doesn't seem as urgent any more. The incremental advances aren't exciting. I have a phone that does everything I want.
    I totally agree with your statement.

My G4 already does so many things so damn well that every other new phone doesn't seem to warrant the upgrade for me.

I mean, sure. Processor upgrades and whatnot make me excited, but my phone is already more than fast enough and frankly, the UX matters more nowadays.

You'll see me hold my G4 even 3 years from now.
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-14-2015 09:16 AM
    I hope Samsung sales on the Note 5 are horrendous. They do what they want and not what their customers want. I love my Note 4 and will be holding onto it for quite a while now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Exactly like a little company I know called APPLE
    SAMSUNG ARE NO DIFFERENT.
    Other than Apple Actually support their Products.

toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-14-2015 09:26 AM
    Legitimate reasons, please.

Don't just say "Because it doesn't have a removable battery and SD card slot" because that's frankly overused and we know that's one reason why you wouldn't buy one over some others.
    They are HIS reasons. Would YOU be happier of they corresponded with yours?

dorrien12 likes this.
    08-14-2015 09:41 AM
    Does not have removable battery blah blah blah. Cannot add more memory blah blah blah. The fact is almost nobody carries around extra batteries. If it is so critical get an external quick charge extended battery. We are also moving away from needing everything local. With things like Google photos, carousel, spotify etc etc who cares.

Those few of you out there that like these features, you were never the primary audience of the note. The press so overlays your importance in the success or failure of this phone.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    So who was the primary audience of the Note?
    08-14-2015 09:47 AM
    So who was the primary audience of the Note?
    Lately I think it's women and girls with large purses. I'm kind of amazed by how many women I see carrying the note when years ago the comment by most women was they wanted a small device and would never use a large phone.

08-14-2015 09:49 AM
    They are HIS reasons. Would YOU be happier of they corresponded with yours?

"Don't just say......"

I put it there because I was expecting a lot of replies that said the same thing, so I wanted some different reasons.
    08-14-2015 09:50 AM
    I have owned a note 2, 3, 4, 8.0, 10.1, 10.1 2014, and 12.2.

I upgrade because those jerks never add the new s pen features to the old phone, and I love the s pen.

So now we have a new device, and the only s pen upgrade I see is the ability to draw on a black screen.

I hoped the "click" function would enable the eraser or be mappable, which it appears it isn't.

So basically it is a faster version of my already good phone, but I have to shell out $100 more to get 64gb of storage.

I'd love to have the black screen write and the long page clip... And that is why those jerks won't bring that to the note 4... And I'm not going to submit anymore to their crap update policies.

I've always loved the note, and hated Samsung. Today is no different.

If your main concern is the s pen then I wouldn't upgrade. But for me, the note 5 is enough of an improvement over the note 4 for me to purchase. The better fingerprint scanner and better camera, plus the double press home to open camera is a enough for me.
    08-14-2015 09:51 AM
    I was not surprised by any of the specs, these were pretty much known - I was surprised that they don't seem invested in the device this year. Are you planning on switching to another OEM this year or just waiting until next year to see if they bring some heat to the features?
    No 128GB model is a surprise (apparently confirmed by Samsung today), but at almost $1,000 they might think no point. Apple gets away with it since the Apple ecosystem is the key driver and not the device itself. All Apple has to do is make it good enough with updates each year.

My guess is sales will be weaker than their Powerpoint slides told them they would be, the Note 5 will have a price drop and 128GB model added in a few months-ish.

Maybe we will see the sd card version leaked for Asia That is probably be real too, since the same source for some of the leaks that panned out came from there too.
    08-14-2015 09:54 AM
    Yes, I will be. I have used the note 2,3,4,s6e,g4,and for me, the s6 was the best, but the screen was too small. The Note 5 is a larger s6,so I think it would be a good fit for me.

I am not waiting for the g4 pro because it would probably have rear mounted power button which annoyed me a lot on the g4. Plus the curved back was annoying when typing with the phone on the desk. It would rock back and forth.
    08-14-2015 09:58 AM
    Lately I think it's women and girls with large purses. I'm kind of amazed by how many women I see carrying the note when years ago the comment by most women was they wanted a small device and would never use a large phone.

OK I disagree with women and girls being the primary audience for the Note, but I don't get how that lines up with your point. I'm a woman that carries a large purse and value the removable battery and micro-SD card slot in the prior Note phones. I would think that I am far from being the only one.
    TenshiNo and dorrien12 like this.
    08-14-2015 09:59 AM
    I will be
    I will wait for some reviews to see how it is, but either way, I still will be replacing my S6 to get the Note 5
    08-14-2015 09:59 AM
    Samsung has been using the note line following pretty closely to the s line in the same year so it is no surprise to me.
    08-14-2015 10:02 AM
    Does not have removable battery blah blah blah. Cannot add more memory blah blah blah. The fact is almost nobody carries around extra batteries. If it is so critical get an external quick charge extended battery. We are also moving away from needing everything local. With things like Google photos, carousel, spotify etc etc who cares.

Those few of you out there that like these features, you were never the primary audience of the note. The press so overlays your importance in the success or failure of this phone.

Really? The whole crux of Samsung's marketing of eighteen months ago was to differentiate itself from Apple, you remember, the wall hugging commercial at the airport? That was about the time that Samsung's smartphone profits began to take a serious nosedive.

Then you look at the S6 rollout. Many S6 fanboys will still NOT admit that the product, which was supposed to elevate Samsung and its profits back towards the heavens, was not the sucess it had hoped.

Now you have the company rolling out the Note 5 in the same design 'error' the way it did the S6. We'll have to wait to see how successful the Note really is, won't we?

BTW, regarding your comment about batteries. I currently have the S4 with FIVE batteries that I use on a regular basis. Yes, I've been looking to update to Samsung/Android but still remain on the sidelines due to Samsung's move to imitate Apple and the IPhone.

People don't like to talk about this but to many, it's a fact that Sammy is imitating Apple! Yes, I really like the engineering and design hardware of Samsung products including the beautiful screens.

But to make the batteries non removable AND smaller... Sammy's got it wrong for the folks who really power use their phone for business and not just to check their FB, Instagram and Twitter accounts nearby a wall outlet... all day long.

Maybe those are the folks Sammy wants to sell their phones to. Form over function! Sammy is becoming all 'plastic' even though they've moved to all metal and glass.
    08-14-2015 10:13 AM
    Yes, I will be getting it as well.

Here are the reasons:

Pros:
    - Tried the S6 and it was one of the best android experience (aside from my Nexus 6).
    - Big S-Pen fan (Being a graphic designer, it is a must to have for sketching and ideas and the immediate on-screen note function is a win).
    - don't care about removable battery and sd card.
    - dont care about IR blaster.
    - premium looks are a plus.
    - addicted to new gadgets.
    - Camera (if like the S6) will be wonderful.
    - Fingerprint scanner is a must
    - The size is perfect for my large hands (Nexus 6 is too wide and iPhone 6 Plus is too top heavy)
    - Had all the Note series from 2-4 and love the functionality.

Wait and See:
    - Battery life
    steflieb and debdroid1a like this.
    08-14-2015 10:14 AM
    The reason why I'm an advocate for the removable battery is because it increases the device's lifespan by having a component that will degrade over time easily replaceable.
    I agree on this. If I have to pick one of two features to keep, it would be removable battery for the reason you mentioned. I'm fine with just internal storage if 64Gb or bigger. Seems I'm in minority as many others here want micro sd slot but ok with non-removable battery.
    steflieb likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:16 AM
    I don't think I'm in the minority of those that carries an extra battery and SD card.

I'm going to wait to see if the rumors about the LG G4 Pro are true. If they are, then this will the first of the Note series that i didn't buy.

dorrien12 likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:22 AM
    Sammy's got it wrong for the folks who really power use their phone
    As more and more people enter the smartphone world, more and more of them are not power users. Samsung is actively failing the top .01% that requires the features that they used to offer - but unfortunately they're playing to a completely different market and it sounds like, for the time being, no one is going to address the remainder.

What I assume happened is that, similarly to OnePlus and NFC, they looked at how people are actually using their devices and realized that a giant number don't have SD cards in them at all, most people are buying the cheapest (lowest storage) option and phones are being charged, rather than hot swapped.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:23 AM
    My Note 5 is on tap. I wish more colors were available through VZ but 64GB black will do.
    steflieb likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:23 AM
    Yes, I will be getting it as well.

Cons:
    - Battery life
    Well we don't know the battery life until the reviews are out...could be good
    08-14-2015 10:24 AM
    Actually my only reason for not buying the Note 5 is no expandable memory and the smaller battery. As overused as that may be to the orginal poster, it's true.

The LG G4 Pro is rumored to have an expandable memory, 5.8 screen, larger battery, and a stylus. Im sure if it comes with a Sanpdragon 820, it'll be comparable to the Exynos all in one (i know, it's an oversimplification ) That's the only reason I'm considering the transition is because of the expandable memory and larger battery. That's it.

monsieurms likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:28 AM
719 12345 ...