The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

I have owned a note 2, 3, 4, 8.0, 10.1, 10.1 2014, and 12.2.

I upgrade because those jerks never add the new s pen features to the old phone, and I love the s pen.

So now we have a new device, and the only s pen upgrade I see is the ability to draw on a black screen.

I hoped the "click" function would enable the eraser, or be mappable, which it appears it isn't.

So basically it is a faster version of my already good phone, but I have to shell out $100 more to get 64gb of storage.

I'd love to have the black screen write and the long page clip... And that is why those jerks won't bring that to the note 4... And I'm not going to submit anymore to their crap update policies.

I've always loved the note, and hated Samsung. Today is no different.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy?

I was not surprised by any of the specs, these were pretty much known - I was surprised that they don't seem invested in the device this year. Are you planning on switching to another OEM this year or just waiting until next year to see if they bring some heat to the features?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

My lineup is a bit different from yours, but I won't add the Note 5 either. Bring back the removable battery and micro-SD card slot Samsung!

I have the original Note, Note II, Note 3, Note 4, Note Edge, Note 10.1 and Note Pro.

Speaking of the eraser, have you tried the S Pen with Eraser?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I passed on the S6 after waiting very patiently and looks like I'm going to pass on the Note 5. Not only non removable batteries... smaller ones at that.

Nice going marketing team at Samsung... seven straight quarters of declining profits in smartphones.

Looks like you haven't learned your lesson yet. ;)

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope Samsung sales on the Note 5 are horrendous. They do what they want and not what their customers want. I love my Note 4 and will be holding onto it for quite a while now.

Last edited:

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I was not surprised by any of the specs, these were pretty much known - I was surprised that they don't seem invested in the device this year. Are you planning on switching to another OEM this year or just waiting until next year to see if they bring some heat to the features?

If I don't get a note 5 I'll get a note 6 regardless. If I don't have the functionality of the s pen, I'll just get an iPhone and have a better speaker, more polished apps, and no lag.

(unless LG puts out a phone with an amazing stylus with useful functions like the s pen)

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

The rumors about the LG G4 Pro looks promising.

Does it have a Wacom pen? Samsung has a pretty big head start with functionality. Hard to believe they would be able to compete right out of the gate.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Actual leaked documents from Samsung HQ regarding Note 5:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But seriously what a disappointment. I kept hoping the leaks were wrong but they weren't. It's like they didn't care about this phone at all. It's just a blown up s6 with a pen. The Note line used to be so unique from the s line and now they are practically the same. I mean no additional resolution or battery? The camera is even the same. Just more ram?

Really disappointed. I could've lived without the SD card and removable battery. But for the battery to be that small and for everything else to be carried over from the s6 is a total let down. The only thing that's good about the s6 is the ability to just write on the screen. Even the design is easy to forget since it too was carried over from the s6. Don't get me wrong-I love my s6 but the note is supposed to be unique, and better than the s6.

I'll pass on the note 5. I guess I'm holding on to my s6 awhile.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Guess I will not need to upgrade early

Well, this was a big disappointment. No need to use my last early upgrade on this phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

Alright, so the Note 5 (and S6 Edge+) has been revealed. Will you buy one?

Me? No. Two reasons.

1) I'm a very heavy user and as such, I need more battery power and storage. The Note 4 and LG G4 fit my needs perfectly, but the Note 5 doesn't.

2) I don't see any real benefit for me to upgrade from a G4 to a Note 5. I also think that it doesn't do much to justify upgrading from a 4 or even a 3.

I'm also waiting on the Nexus 5 and 6 2015 and the LG G4 Pro.

Alright, now it's time to hear from you.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

Legitimate reasons, please.

Don't just say "Because it doesn't have a removable battery and SD card slot" if you're not buying one, because that's frankly overused and we know that's one reason why you wouldn't buy one over some others.

Last edited:

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

Legitimate reasons, please.

Don't just say "Because it doesn't have a removable battery and SD card slot" because that's frankly overused and we know that's one reason why you wouldn't buy one over some others.

Consensus doesn't equal illegitimacy

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

If the Note 5 had a bigger battery than the Note 4 and didn't drop the IR blaster I would consider it. I understand that SD cards and removable batteries are disappearing from the mobile phone market. What I don't understand is that non removable batteries are supposed to allow for a larger battery. It makes no sense that my Galaxy S5 almost has the same size battery as this larger phone. Or that a phone the same size with a removable battery has a larger battery than one without. Why then have a non removable battery?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

I may buy one or the other. I honestly can't say until I hold each one. I love the 5.1" edge screen size, so if I am going phablet, the Note 5 may win.
Either one would be awesome. I do really love the look of the edge screen.... WHY can't I be rich and have BOTH!

I am a phone junkie. I can't help myself. I will have to get one of them. I will likely keep my S6 Edge and get the Note 5.
Once I get to touch them, maybe it will be easier to choose.....

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I haven't counted it out yet. Yes i dont like the battery size or glass back (im used to no sdcard slot or replacable battery on my motorolas).

Before i count it out though i want some real battery tests and i would also like to know how the speaker sounds. I realize not to expect much but im still curious because i make a lot of speaker calls.

While im somewhat disappointed in some things, i love the note line, and the spen, and i want to see how the new processor handles battery usage.

I havent counted it out, and i know people hate it, and while i dont follow the crowd, i see concerns that are obvious. . My concern is battery.. everyrhing else i can deal with.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I ordered one. I have the Note 4 and I still want the Note 5. While the battery size is quite a let down (along with no SD slot)...
- the design looks great
- the S-pen writing with the screen off is cool
- the YouTube streaming is cool IMO
- 4 GB of RAM
- the quick-access camera access(double tap) and f1.9 lens is also an improvement over the N4.
- fast wireless charging might be a real benefit for me

No it's not perfect, but none of today's "negatives" were a surprise if you saw any leaks over the last few weeks. YMMV .. I wouldn't say it's ALL bad :)

Last edited: