03-27-2017 03:21 AM
719 ... 45678 ...
tools
    That's the thing with some Samsung users, they are not loyal enough. Look at the Apple users clamoring to get the next iPhone when they don't have SD slots, removable batteries, wireless charging, IR blaster, S-pen, have lower resolution screens, a closed OS and have to use iTunes (yuck!). What we have are choices and I agree if this phone is not for you, there are plenty of phones that will suit your needs. I see people spite Samsung by getting another phone that may not even have the same functionalities of what the new Note 5 can do.
    You are so right.
    That's why I use a Note 4.

Galaxy Note 4 {Sprint 5.1.1}
    Galaxy S III {FreedomPop 4.3}
    LG G2 {Sprint 4.4.2}
    Frenzytom, dcstuntman and spagman like this.
    08-14-2015 04:17 PM
    That's the thing with some Samsung users, they are not loyal enough. Look at the Apple users clamoring to get the next iPhone when they don't have SD slots, removable batteries, wireless charging, IR blaster, S-pen, have lower resolution screens, a closed OS and have to use iTunes (yuck!). What we have are choices and I agree if this phone is not for you, there are plenty of phones that will suit your needs. I see people spite Samsung by getting another phone that may not even have the same functionalities of what the new Note 5 can do.
    Hard to build loyalty when your old devices never see the new features they roll out.

You have to build loyalty. As soon as someone builds a better "note" or I don't need the unique functions any more, it's see ya later.

Posted via the Android Central App
    dcstuntman likes this.
    08-14-2015 04:18 PM
    The expandable memory was actually solved with Google photos.
    If you set your phone to automatically upload photos to Google Photos, do they also get deleted from the phone at the same time? I currently use auto upload with Dropbox, but I have to then manually delete those photos from my phone. If Google Photos works as you say, that would eliminate my no-sd concern I have moving from the S4 to the Note 5.
    08-14-2015 04:40 PM
    i cant take it anymore with samsung, cant they make the perfect note and be done with, why this none sense of we have to beat apple on every possible way, come on guys be you, make a note that has a huge battery, an amazing screen and a s pen that can make doddles on the air and capture them, thats what the note line was about, adventure, see what stick, they seem afraid, they want to be conservative but for conservatives you buy an iphone, what if the phone its thicker, what if the phone gets a little hot, what if is bigger than life, people with a note wants bigger than life, im just so frustrated im really thinking on switching to the iphone i might as well get use to it because most phones are gonna look like that and operate like that, boring!!!!!!!! i really hope that the next nexus saves this year because why you have to compromise more for a fashionable phone its not gonna work for me, yes both of them are beautiful to look at but you'll only gonna see it for 5 hours at the most (screen on time) and most of the looks are gonna go away a soon as i slap a big bulky case on it in order for my to no have a heart atack when cumplsy hands drop it into the concrete floor, and when they make that perfect phone i wont even look at the price because is ridiculous that they want more money for more compromise.
    08-14-2015 04:44 PM
    It's really not hard for me to plug my phone in each night before bed. Doing that twice in two days would be less effort that changing the battery once IMO.
    and as far as i know, charging spare batteries takes just as much effort, if not more, than just plugging something into your phone instead to charge lol
    Not really, for me at least. Not when my wife or son "borrow" thecharging cable and don't put it back. And 5 days out of 7 I can do my battery charging at my desk at work.... and when I have to get up for a meeting not be dealing with unplugging/plugging back in. 1/2 the time I don't plug it in while its in the dashboard mount... because I don't need to.

I've had previous usb ports on devices go bad, one of them I'm sure was due to external power-pack connected while jostling around in my pocket,backpack, or car. Another the port just went out... but I could still use the device for some time due to being able to swap them. And my spare batteries are thin enough that I almost forget they are in my pocket... can't say that for 2 of my 3 external chargers. And the one that is small can't even full power my phone even if I leave my phone off during the charge.

Oh... and if I want to use an external charger because I forgot my spare, or just because its the cool thing to do... I CAN!!!

Funny how the trend the past couple years is lack of options = convenience. I thought the fact that I could do it this way OR that OR both depending on situation was convenient.
    08-14-2015 05:07 PM
    Maximum of 64GB is why I'll avoid the Note 5.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-14-2015 05:44 PM
    I don't know why this phone doesn't have a 5k mAh battery in it.
    08-14-2015 05:49 PM
    Note 1,2,3,4 but NO NOTE 5 for me.. Im happy with my N4 and would not downgrade to N5..

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk
    08-14-2015 06:05 PM
    Thank you!
    Battery Life and SD card sure can be legit reasons. If you use them. For me, I'm never ever away from someplace I can plug in a charger. I always insisted on an SD card...and after 3 years I've found I've never used it. Sure, some people use the phone in such a way that an SD card is a must have. My son is that way. I'm not. Plus, bottom line, this is the way its gonna be. Soon no phone will have removable batteries or SD cards. I'm tired of worrying about it. Mine will be here on Tuesday without an SD card
    dcstuntman and dsignori like this.
    08-14-2015 06:06 PM
    I bought two Note 4's taking advantage of Samsung's $200 rebate after I read initial reports said the Note 5 wouldn't be coming with SD micro card or removable battery. Now that those reports came true I'm very happy about purchasing the Note 4 for my wife and myself. Put 128Gb cards in both phones. What a great phone.
    08-14-2015 06:22 PM
    I am sticking with my Note 4. I need a removable battery. I purchase additional batteries for my phones because I hate to be plugged up when I am not in the bed. I know Samsung will change their minds, and give us back what we want when they make the Note 6.
    08-14-2015 06:32 PM
    If I am not mistaken they have announced 128g models. But I don't see myself using much more than 32-64g.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It was a mistake on Samsung's part. They confirmed they set up the Web page Incorrectly with the option for 128 GB. We're not getting it. Even AC homepage has the confirmation.

I'm very saddened by this news.
    08-14-2015 06:38 PM
    Thank you!
    Battery Life and SD card sure can be legit reasons. If you use them. For me, I'm never ever away from someplace I can plug in a charger. I always insisted on an SD card...and after 3 years I've found I've never used it. Sure, some people use the phone in such a way that an SD card is a must have. My son is that way. I'm not. Plus, bottom line, this is the way its gonna be. Soon no phone will have removable batteries or SD cards. I'm tired of worrying about it. Mine will be here on Tuesday without an SD card
    Since it IS important to me... until that day comes there still are other choices out there, and I'll do the voting with my wallet.

I can see how the 5 might be attractive to those who don't have the same wants or desires I do in a phone. And I appreciate your seeing that even people in same household have different use cases. My wife used to have an Android and has used iPhone for several generations now... it fits her needs. (And as such I actually see some benefits - and plenty of drawbacks - to that choice as well... but for her the pros outweigh the cons.)

Just tired of some others who seem to think those like me need lessons on battery packs and cloud storage or universal remote controls when I'm pretty sure I could teach most of them a thing or two about each of these subjects... we simply use our devices differently - and I'll continue doing so until viable solutions (that fit my needs/wants/money) are exhausted.

Nor do I think the Note5 isn't a perfectly capable device... barring bizarre manufacturing defect (antenna gate, etc) it should hold up pretty well. It's just (rather surprisingly and suddenly) become a bit of a 'meh' device to some longtime fans - and hard for me personally to justify such a high price tag anymore for just the pen alone; for me, the pen becomes a $300 option compared to some other phones out there... that's hard to swallow considering I generally don't care for TouchWiz, Samsung bloat and other things I've put up from over the previous years.

My personal balance sheet of pros and cons has tipped heavily into the cons territory for the Note5; others may have stayed the same or even tipped into more towards pro if they like the styling. Understood.
    08-14-2015 06:42 PM
    Exactly! You buy based on your criteria, as long as there are other choices. No choices = epic fail.
    dcstuntman likes this.
    08-14-2015 07:25 PM
    The Note 4 seemed custom-built for doctors working in busy hospitals: fast phone with a replaceable battery for those 32 hour on-call days. Sticking a phone into a wall outlet to charge while running around a 1.5km diameter hospital is out of the question.

The memory card helps to store all those images of x-rays, MRIs etc that need to be kept or sent to colleagues. Huge medical point-of-care databases get stored on the SD card as well. SD cards can be removed for safekeeping.

And the S-pen? A huge God-send.

And now with the loss of both removeable battery and SD card more than a few doctors are concerned about where to turn when the time comes to get a new phone, at least where I work.

08-14-2015 07:50 PM
    Folks are buy the gs6 like myself cause most don't give a damn about extra batteries that's just crazy to think about carrying a pocket full of battery. And most don't use a SD card just the few on AC so they claim haha

08-14-2015 08:15 PM
    I agree that's over used, but to spend $1000 bucks on something that only offers a few upgrades is ubsurd.. same screen quality... smaller battery... easy to scratch.. 64 gig max... almost same camera... sure you can write on a black screen but is that really worth 1000 bucks to you??

tadpoles likes this.
    08-14-2015 08:45 PM
    We tend to forget that we are not the majority consumer of phones like these. We are the outliers. I would wager that most common users don't deal with SD cards or removable batteries. And I'm sure Samsung's focus groups have seen the same thing. Not to mention if you want extra storage, you're forced to buy the bigger phone. All of these moves are meant to help them sell phones and boost their profit. Not to appease us geeks in phone forums.

At least with Android there are now about a bajillion really nice phones to choose from (well at least once this fall crop of phones hit shelves).
    ThrottleJohnny likes this.
    08-14-2015 09:30 PM
    We tend to forget that we are not the majority consumer of phones like these. We are the outliers. I would wager that most common users don't deal with SD cards or removable batteries. And I'm sure Samsung's focus groups have seen the same thing. Not to mention if you want extra storage, you're forced to buy the bigger phone. All of these moves are meant to help them sell phones and boost their profit. Not to appease us geeks in phone forums.

At least with Android there are now about a bajillion really nice phones to choose from (well at least once this fall crop of phones hit shelves).
    I would agree on pretty much all devices but the Note series. The pushback is far too consistent and prolific across many news and media sources. The main media praising are the usual suspects that tend to heart Apple.

This looks to be bad nasty. S6 pushback was a fraction of this and the audience is bigger for that device.
    08-14-2015 09:43 PM
    Extremely disappointed with lack of removable battery. So not gonna buy it. I will go for LG G4 for its removable battery. I hope Android OEMs all bring back removable battery. It's such a killer feature over the iPhone. It was one of my reasons I switched to Android. Fast charging is way inferior to removable battery. You can swap in a battery in less than a minute. In many occasions, e.g. traveling, removable battery is such a life safer.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    D Android likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:06 PM
    Extremely disappointed with lack of removable battery. So not gonna buy it. I will go for LG G4 for its removable battery. I hope Android OEMs all bring back removable battery. It's such a killer feature over the iPhone. It was one of my reasons I switched to Android. Fast charging is way inferior to removable battery. You can swap in a battery in less than a minute. In many occasions, e.g. traveling, removable battery is such a life safer.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    I strongly agree with you! Far too many OEMs are way too focused on thinness and overly flashy looks.
    monsieurms and 21stNow like this.
    08-14-2015 10:21 PM
    Had the opportunity to play with a Note 5 working demo model today at Costco......while I was checking into upgrading my husband`s phone from a Note 2 to a Note 4 for $99! I wasn't Impressed and will definitely be holding onto my Note 4 with removable battery/SD card slot.
    08-14-2015 10:34 PM
    I still haven't found any information on this: how long the battery actually lasts? My Nexus 5 doesn't last that long, if the Note 5 lasts longer than my Nexus 5, I might still consider it.
    Edit: Ohhh, a thread just came up.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:57 PM
    Loved the Note 3. Contract completed I may, so I waited for the note 5. Thinking that Samsung would keep the robust versatility of the note line while making improvements on the hardware , faster cpu,ram, great camera. A true Flagship worthy of is high cost. Sadly I was wrong. Instead the note users get an S6 with a pin. So I saved a bundle and bought a G4. Keeping my note pro and note S 10.5
    Prehahaps they will learn that to beat Apple you don't clone apple, you make a better device

08-14-2015 11:12 PM
    $200+? More like $300+, possibly more depending on your carrier.

I think the Note 5 may have a screen that wows people a little more, I'm sure it will have a camera that is slightly better, especially in low light, wireless charging, and of course the S-pen and fingerprint reader, but do those things really justify a $300+ price difference? It depends on the person I think and where their priorities and preferences lie. And let's not forget that the Moto X Pure will have a few things that the Note 5 doesn't have... a SD card slot, customizability, easier to grip back materials, and more optimized and better designed software. To me, the software experience is worth more than anything else, so I am willing to sacrifice a little display and camera quality for an end user experience that I ultimately enjoy more.

If the Moto X Pure and Note 5 were both $800, I don't think I would buy either. I would just stick with my Nexus 6. If the Moto X Pure and Note 5 were both $400, it would be a very tough decision for me and I would probably have to read a lot of reviews and list out pros and cons of each. But as it stands, with the Moto X Pure at $400 and the Note 5 at $800, it's a simple choice for me.
    I used to tolerate TW cause the removable battery and SD slot were a fair tradeoff. without them, I'd rather have a UX more to my liking (I don't root) so even if they were the same price, I'd still opt for the Pure.

Samsung's displays are ridiculous though, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Edge+ in person, plus the camera is second to none. wireless charging isn't important to me, and I'd rather see better RAM management from Samsung than just increasing it. so if I add it up, it comes down to the pen, camera and display vs UX. I also like the front facing speakers.

these days UX, no bloatware, unlocked, unbranded phones with decent battery life, front facing speakers and quick charge, at a reasonable price are the features that are important to me. using that criteria, Samsung just isn't competitive at the moment.

I'd actually prefer the Note 4 over the 5. I'm replacing my Nexus 4 and S4 in the next few months. planning on getting the Pure and one, if not both, of the Nexus phones. if I only get one of those 3, is definitely consider the Note 4.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-14-2015 11:24 PM
719 ... 45678 ...