03-27-2017 03:21 AM
719 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Who uses an SD card? Pretty much every one on this forum that's unhappy about the lack of SD card support. Those of us who spend 8 - 10 hours a week in airplanes without access to 'the cloud'. Those of us on 6gb/month shared data limits that would be chewed up by streaming just a couple of movies. Those of us that don't have Netflix/Hulu/Prime accounts but still want to watch movies on our phones that we've ripped from our DVD collection.

Congratulations if SD card support isn't important for you, but please stop telling everyone else what should be important to them.
    08-15-2015 12:14 AM
    and as far as i know, charging spare batteries takes just as much effort, if not more, than just plugging something into your phone instead to charge lol
    Not true. I left Apple two years ago for the following.
    Large screen, spen, swappable battery, customization, expandable storage. This was absolutely amazing that I could get all of this in a phone. On my note 3 I never got around to purchasing an extra battery because battery life was just good. When I got the Note 4 I got a 2 for 1 deal on battery charging kits. That gave me 3 batteries altogether. For 6 months I never plugged my phone into the wall other than the first day I had it, not even at night. every morning i just popped that previous days battery in the charging kit and replaced it with a fresh one. That was and still is amazing to me. If you've never done it don't knock it. I like the Note 5, times change so ya gotta roll with it. However, 3 of the 5 things that drew me to android and mainly Samsung hardware are now gone and Everyone has a large screen. So all I'm left with the Note 5 is customization and an spen. Keeping my note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-15-2015 01:19 AM
    It's not a matter of effort of simply plugging in my phone but rather it's a concern of a sense of reliability that I know I don't need to be glued to a charger all the time.

Being able to swap a fully charged battery and going for dead to 100% in 15 seconds is worth the effort of swapping a battery.

Let's say you're at a concert taking lots of pictures and video and then bam, dead battery....you cannot simply plug in but you can, as with the previous Notes, simply swap a fully charged battery and just keep on going. That's a luxury that you lose here and it outrages me.

For these particular cases you can carry an external battery which preferably uses quick charge. Its not the kind of thing you presumably need ever day but it will accomplish more or less the same thing. It will be non intrusive if you realize you will need it and plug it in to the battery before it gets to dead. With quick charge you will get enough charge to keep going for nice long while in a relatively short amount of time.
    08-15-2015 04:37 AM
    For these particular cases you can carry an external battery which preferably uses quick charge. Its not the kind of thing you presumably need ever day but it will accomplish more or less the same thing. It will be non intrusive if you realize you will need it and plug it in to the battery before it gets to dead. With quick charge you will get enough charge to keep going for nice long while in a relatively short amount of time.
    I use my 10,400mAh battery bank to charge my extra battery! xD
    monsieurms and Aquila like this.
    08-15-2015 04:45 AM
    I've also had every Galaxy Note phone (OG, 2, 3 4). I see little reason to break that trend. The way I saw it was that if there was something that needed improving in that year's Galaxy S release, Samsung improved it and added amazing s-pen features. I guess Samsung didn't see enough that "needed improving". From all accounts I've heard, the camera in the s6 was pretty damn good. Perhaps an even more refined OIS module (LG is so far ahead in that respect) would have been nice. I am SORTA bummed about the IR blaster going, it was a lot of fun to mess with people and change the channel on them but at least I still have my g4 for that. However, I'm less bummed about no swappable battery/sd card. I have very portable, high capacity externals that will do more than just fine. That being said, I'd love to see the SD card option (or since Samsung wants to show off that UFS 2.0) return next year...or at least cheaper 128gb (maybe 256 gb?) models.

Not much hope of the LG g4 pro. Rumors are great, but I don't think it's coming to the US (save buying from retailers on eBay). It would have to be an absolute stunner for me to get. Moto X Pure looks nice. I might pick one up because...it is very well priced. However, unless it is a Droid Turbo-esque phone, Moto has awful track records for battery and their cameras are the worst. I hope they can deliver on their promises to improve camera quality because their "always listening" and active display features are great and imo that + speedy updates to their phones definitely stands out. Will reserve judgment on the Nexus/Nexi. LG making a Nexus would be great. Hopefully it's not just a rehashed Nexus 5 and it's a new design!

Overall, there's "enough" new about the Note 5 that interests me. The big thing really is the extra things you can do with the S-Pen. I love the functionality that it brings and every time they expand it, it gets better. The note 4 is the most neglected flagship ever and I can't wait to move on from it .
    08-15-2015 05:07 AM
    I would prefer LG G4 Pro only if they upgrade the build quality. else I really liked there camera and display.
    08-15-2015 05:40 AM
    Thanks E90 Commie! Yea I am not the only one that thought the screen should have been bigger, I have a Note 4 retail edition on Verizon it sucks that it can not be rooted permanently yet! I love the idea of choice in a device and Samsung just took that away. So the only choice I do have is to switch manufactures, I was hoping for a larger screen besides keeping a removable batter and choice of adding an sd card if i chose to. My 128 also is full of stuff I want to carry with me, not to depend on having coverage, and not worrying about data caps...
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-15-2015 06:58 AM
    I won't buy the note 5 either. I have bought every Samsung Note except Note 1,2,3,4,8.0,10.1,10.1 2014 and 12.2 but not this one.
    08-15-2015 07:08 AM
    Data concerns? Everything about your life is already in the cloud, medical records, social security, banking information, driving records, court records, cops are able to run your info when they pull you over. Cable service is now advancing to the cloud so you won't have to run any wires to your house any more, it'll just take an internet connection.

These are just examples, few more years wether u like it or not it's going to keep going in this direction and you guys need to finally realize it instead of complaining.
    This logic is idiotic at best. This cloud you speak of is being hacked on a daily basis. Besides, how can you access the cloud when A) you reached a data cap or B) have no service? Banking? Really? My bank is in many locations to do business with...on a local basis...In person...yada, yada, yada.

Cable won't have to run wires to your house? All you need is an Internet connection? Sorry buddy, broadband still needs local lines like fiber optics to deliver said internet connection. To your home. Period. If you're speaking of cellular Internet connection, please read my first paragraph.

Thank you. Have a great day!

08-15-2015 07:37 AM
    I ordered one. I have the Note 4 and I still want the Note 5. While the battery size is quite a let down (along with no SD slot)...
    - the design looks great
    - the S-pen writing with the screen off is cool
    - the YouTube streaming is cool IMO
    - 4 GB of RAM
    - the quick-access camera access(double tap) and f1.9 lens is also an improvement over the N4.
    - fast wireless charging might be a real benefit for me

No it's not perfect, but none of today's "negatives" were a surprise if you saw any leaks over the last few weeks. YMMV .. I wouldn't say it's ALL bad :-)
    The design does "look" great but the fingerprints all over it? Smudges?

S pen while the screen is off is cool but it's saving you 1 full second nice job Samsung

Stream directly to YouTube is unless you are a big youtube celebrity this is useless to most people

I give the note 5 the camera and wireless charging but why would you want to leave ur phone sitting when u can just swap out a battery and go?

toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-15-2015 08:12 AM
    Thanks E90 Commie! Yea I am not the only one that thought the screen should have been bigger, I have a Note 4 retail edition on Verizon it sucks that it can not be rooted permanently yet! I love the idea of choice in a device and Samsung just took that away. So the only choice I do have is to switch manufactures, I was hoping for a larger screen besides keeping a removable batter and choice of adding an sd card if i chose to. My 128 also is full of stuff I want to carry with me, not to depend on having coverage, and not worrying about data caps...
    Also agreed. The screen should have been bigger.
    monsieurms and pmjj like this.
    08-15-2015 08:27 AM
    some people kill me. Just because they get rid of two features ( i wouldnt even call them main features, because its just how they were making their phone in 2014 just like the s5 had the removable bat and storage) everyone neglects the other improvements, the MAJOR improvements. literally EVERYTHING is done better, besides the removable things. sure screen size and res is the same, but who cares, it was top notch so why change it?

Remember that feeling of a new snappy phone when you picked up the note 4 for the first time? Go pick up a Note 5 and tell me you dont get that same feeling. If you need a removable battery and more storage, fine, more power to you. But please stop bashing the phone for not having two things that you view as the most important.
    08-15-2015 08:35 AM
    No ir blaster so bee n go won't work. Way to samsung no expandable storage and no replaceable battery .
    08-15-2015 09:14 AM
    You know what?

I'm still going to test out the Note 5.

It's going to be a real pleasure clicking that S Pen for hours. :P
    Aquila likes this.
    08-15-2015 09:25 AM
    What do people keep on their phones that 64gb doesn't cut it? There are ways around no SD card and ways around the battery issue. Is it different than what you're used to? Yes. But it's workable. And definitely not the end of the world. They improved every other thing with the phone. And I'll reiterate what I said earlier: us geeks in phone forums are not the target market. We are such an inconsequential small percentage of their sales. The world of smartphones doesn't revolve, or live and die, with us.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-15-2015 10:38 AM
    This isn't the place for nonsense political commentary. There are other forums for that sort of thing.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    Almeuit likes this.
    08-15-2015 11:21 AM
    I will be for sure skipping the Note 5. I had the Note 4, but due to Samsung's lack of interest to update it and fix any issues over multiple updates I returned it and got the G4 which hasn't yet let me down. But I'm always looking to upgrade. I find the Note 5 a let down. I find they have put a lot of things that I don't want, and taken out everything I do want. A larger battery, removable battery and an SD card slot!? Come on!

Instead they added useless MIMO. OK, it's not useless, but it's far less useful than having a removable battery.
    They added a new processor. Well, good for them. They'd need to add a new processor because their UI is crappy! My LG G4 has an 808 and I have no lag, no issues. It's all about software optimization. This is Samsung's solution to be sloppy: Add more ram, add a faster more powerful processor.
    Samsung needs 4GB of ram with all their extra crap on their phones. I constantly had 1.5gb free on my Nexus 6, and I always have a lot of free ram on my G4. But my Note 4 had almost nothing free, which is fine, but then multitasking suffered a lot. So... 4GB, and you'll still have less than 1gb free with their silly apps always running and their horrible UI.

I really hope Samsung loses a lot of money for this horrendous device. Good luck to them, but I'll probably never buy another Samsung device for the next generation or two. They're sitting too high on those ridiculously high horses. It's going to be a hard fall... Oh well, either way, it's not a device for me. So that means LG, Sony, Microsoft and other companies get my attention Until then, my G4 is AWESOME. Greatest phone I've owned. But damn ugly.... ugly ugly ugly.... Sorry LG.
    08-15-2015 11:57 AM
    Thankfully global business is moving forward with the cloud and internet if things, with it without the consent of every legacy preference.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-2015 12:09 PM
    It's not so much a matter of capacity, for which they now charge overpriced premium-fees, it's first and foremost a data-security issue! A phone may malfunction at any time and on the premise that you have business-critical data on it - and not only junk-stuff like mp3s and videos - a reliable and up-to-date backup is an absolute must. If you wait for synchronization with your PC at night the work of a whole day will be lost.

So, your "different way around", I assume, might be a backup in "the cloud"? But, wait a minute! I said "business-critical data"! Oh, I see, this is _exactly_ the "corral" where "google" and the other "data sponges/miners" alike would love to squeeze us into!

Well, tough luck, gentlemen! I'd rather wait for hell to freeze over than storing any business-critical data in some kind of "electronic cloud"! And that _is_ a final and irrevocable statement from my perspective and not open to discussion.
    If you're that worried about "business critical data" you sure better not be storing it on an SD card either. Ever have one of those go corrupt on you? I sure have. Lost a ton of pictures and videos including some of my daughter's 1st birthday. That sure was handy. There is no perfect solution either way you slice it. But I'd rather have more reliable storage and cloud storage for my documents. If it is that important, back it up to a local hard drive as soon as possible. I'm not living in fear of my phone going kaput every day as you must be in that if I really needed to back something up, I'd get it to a hard drive ASAP.
    08-15-2015 12:09 PM
    If you're that worried about "business critical data" you sure better not be storing it on an SD card either. Ever have one of those go corrupt on you? I sure have. Lost a ton of pictures and videos including some of my daughter's 1st birthday. That sure was handy. There is no perfect solution either way you slice it. But I'd rather have more reliable storage and cloud storage for my documents. If it is that important, back it up to a local hard drive as soon as possible. I'm not living in fear of my phone going kaput every day as you must be in that if I really needed to back something up, I'd get it to a hard drive ASAP.
    More to the point, I do work from 4 devices in my office plus 3 more mobile and at home. Everything needs to be instantly everywhere. Servers do that, disks do not. I can't rely on one feature that has to be common to all devices and let that limit what devices I pick up. I need all of my work to be fully updated and available 24/7 on every device on the planet. That's how and why this works.

Wildo6882 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2015 12:12 PM
    I've had the Note 2, 3, 4, and the original 10.1 tablet.

I'm hoping for a new tab because the 2014 10.1 and 12.2 pro have gotten old enough it's time for a refresh.

Little interest in this Note 5 because it doesn't offer enough storage.

monsieurms likes this.
    08-15-2015 12:44 PM
    I have a note 3. These advancements dosent impress me. I don't see a reasonable improvements

Posted via Android Central App
    08-15-2015 12:52 PM
    -1- It's completely up to you.
    -2- That is not much different from my approach. I sync with a local server of my own with multiple RAID-drives attached for maximum data security. However when being out on meetings or negotiations I will not transfer new data over the internet. So an SD-card is a valuable interim-solution. None went ever corrupt on me.
    -3- I absolutely cannot see, why that wouldn't also be possible with a mobile device _with_ an SD-card.
    The cloud makes all data fully up to date instantly everywhere. A micro SD card requires taking it out of one device, moving it to another and data is available only on one device at a time. An example where this matters: someone calls at 3 AM with an emergency. My way, I have everything I need no matter what device I reach for and don't have to mess with any settings, slots etc - it's all just there. Your way I have to find the device with the SD card and move it to whatever device I want to use, at this point lights are on and I'm spending minutes getting ready to work instead of just resolving an issue instantly and rolling back over to go back to sleep.

Imagine trying to use google calendar without any syncing, having to do a file transfer or type in each entry every time you change devices. That's nuts. My way everything is everywhere all the time.

Does your method rest on only having one device? That could be the paradigm breakdown. All of my stuff must be current on 4 work PCs, a laptop, a Chromebook, either of two tablets and on two phones. When I'm in St Louis on my chromebook I need 100% up to date access to whats going on at the home office. The only way for that to be possible is via the cloud.

Now SD as an additional backup wouldn't hurt my method, but not having the cloud would kill my business and most businesses on the world.

08-15-2015 01:28 PM
    Tldr - cloud and SD don't replace each other, and they don't work overly well together. Two totally different use cases.

08-15-2015 01:38 PM
    Another thing to keep in mind is that external storage might be useless in some corporate environments. Plugging in external devices is disabled in many cases for security purposes. Use of a corporate cloud service might be the only option available.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    08-15-2015 02:49 PM
719 ... 56789 ...