The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

Thanks E90 Commie! Yea I am not the only one that thought the screen should have been bigger, I have a Note 4 retail edition on Verizon it sucks that it can not be rooted permanently yet! I love the idea of choice in a device and Samsung just took that away. So the only choice I do have is to switch manufactures, I was hoping for a larger screen besides keeping a removable batter and choice of adding an sd card if i chose to. My 128 also is full of stuff I want to carry with me, not to depend on having coverage, and not worrying about data caps...
Also agreed. The screen should have been bigger.

trevor42088

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy?

some people kill me. Just because they get rid of two features ( i wouldnt even call them main features, because its just how they were making their phone in 2014 just like the s5 had the removable bat and storage) everyone neglects the other improvements, the MAJOR improvements. literally EVERYTHING is done better, besides the removable things. sure screen size and res is the same, but who cares, it was top notch so why change it?

Remember that feeling of a new snappy phone when you picked up the note 4 for the first time? Go pick up a Note 5 and tell me you dont get that same feeling. If you need a removable battery and more storage, fine, more power to you. But please stop bashing the phone for not having two things that you view as the most important.

ksb63

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

No ir blaster so bee n go won't work. Way to samsung no expandable storage and no replaceable battery .

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

You know what?

I'm still going to test out the Note 5.

It's going to be a real pleasure clicking that S Pen for hours. :p

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

What do people keep on their phones that 64gb doesn't cut it? There are ways around no SD card and ways around the battery issue. Is it different than what you're used to? Yes. But it's workable. And definitely not the end of the world. They improved every other thing with the phone. And I'll reiterate what I said earlier: us geeks in phone forums are not the target market. We are such an inconsequential small percentage of their sales. The world of smartphones doesn't revolve, or live and die, with us.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

This isn't the place for nonsense political commentary. There are other forums for that sort of thing.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I will be for sure skipping the Note 5. I had the Note 4, but due to Samsung's lack of interest to update it and fix any issues over multiple updates I returned it and got the G4 which hasn't yet let me down. But I'm always looking to upgrade. I find the Note 5 a let down. I find they have put a lot of things that I don't want, and taken out everything I do want. A larger battery, removable battery and an SD card slot!? Come on!

Instead they added useless MIMO. OK, it's not useless, but it's far less useful than having a removable battery.
They added a new processor. Well, good for them. They'd need to add a new processor because their UI is crappy! My LG G4 has an 808 and I have no lag, no issues. It's all about software optimization. This is Samsung's solution to be sloppy: Add more ram, add a faster more powerful processor.
Samsung needs 4GB of ram with all their extra crap on their phones. I constantly had 1.5gb free on my Nexus 6, and I always have a lot of free ram on my G4. But my Note 4 had almost nothing free, which is fine, but then multitasking suffered a lot. So... 4GB, and you'll still have less than 1gb free with their silly apps always running and their horrible UI.

I really hope Samsung loses a lot of money for this horrendous device. Good luck to them, but I'll probably never buy another Samsung device for the next generation or two. They're sitting too high on those ridiculously high horses. It's going to be a hard fall... Oh well, either way, it's not a device for me. So that means LG, Sony, Microsoft and other companies get my attention :) Until then, my G4 is AWESOME. Greatest phone I've owned. But damn ugly.... ugly ugly ugly.... :( Sorry LG.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Thankfully global business is moving forward with the cloud and internet if things, with it without the consent of every legacy preference.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

It's not so much a matter of capacity, for which they now charge overpriced premium-fees, it's first and foremost a data-security issue! A phone may malfunction at any time and on the premise that you have business-critical data on it - and not only junk-stuff like mp3s and videos - a reliable and up-to-date backup is an absolute must. If you wait for synchronization with your PC at night the work of a whole day will be lost.

So, your "different way around", I assume, might be a backup in "the cloud"? But, wait a minute! I said "business-critical data"! Oh, I see, this is _exactly_ the "corral" where "google" and the other "data sponges/miners" alike would love to squeeze us into!

Well, tough luck, gentlemen! I'd rather wait for hell to freeze over than storing any business-critical data in some kind of "electronic cloud"! And that _is_ a final and irrevocable statement from my perspective and not open to discussion.
If you're that worried about "business critical data" you sure better not be storing it on an SD card either. Ever have one of those go corrupt on you? I sure have. Lost a ton of pictures and videos including some of my daughter's 1st birthday. That sure was handy. There is no perfect solution either way you slice it. But I'd rather have more reliable storage and cloud storage for my documents. If it is that important, back it up to a local hard drive as soon as possible. I'm not living in fear of my phone going kaput every day as you must be in that if I really needed to back something up, I'd get it to a hard drive ASAP.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

If you're that worried about "business critical data" you sure better not be storing it on an SD card either. Ever have one of those go corrupt on you? I sure have. Lost a ton of pictures and videos including some of my daughter's 1st birthday. That sure was handy. There is no perfect solution either way you slice it. But I'd rather have more reliable storage and cloud storage for my documents. If it is that important, back it up to a local hard drive as soon as possible. I'm not living in fear of my phone going kaput every day as you must be in that if I really needed to back something up, I'd get it to a hard drive ASAP.
More to the point, I do work from 4 devices in my office plus 3 more mobile and at home. Everything needs to be instantly everywhere. Servers do that, disks do not. I can't rely on one feature that has to be common to all devices and let that limit what devices I pick up. I need all of my work to be fully updated and available 24/7 on every device on the planet. That's how and why this works.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I've had the Note 2, 3, 4, and the original 10.1 tablet.

I'm hoping for a new tab because the 2014 10.1 and 12.2 pro have gotten old enough it's time for a refresh.

Little interest in this Note 5 because it doesn't offer enough storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

Harshuvinod

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I have a note 3. These advancements dosent impress me. I don't see a reasonable improvements

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

-1- It's completely up to you.
-2- That is not much different from my approach. I sync with a local server of my own with multiple RAID-drives attached for maximum data security. However when being out on meetings or negotiations I will not transfer new data over the internet. So an SD-card is a valuable interim-solution. None went ever corrupt on me.
-3- I absolutely cannot see, why that wouldn't also be possible with a mobile device _with_ an SD-card.
The cloud makes all data fully up to date instantly everywhere. A micro SD card requires taking it out of one device, moving it to another and data is available only on one device at a time. An example where this matters: someone calls at 3 AM with an emergency. My way, I have everything I need no matter what device I reach for and don't have to mess with any settings, slots etc - it's all just there. Your way I have to find the device with the SD card and move it to whatever device I want to use, at this point lights are on and I'm spending minutes getting ready to work instead of just resolving an issue instantly and rolling back over to go back to sleep.

Imagine trying to use google calendar without any syncing, having to do a file transfer or type in each entry every time you change devices. That's nuts. My way everything is everywhere all the time.

Does your method rest on only having one device? That could be the paradigm breakdown. All of my stuff must be current on 4 work PCs, a laptop, a Chromebook, either of two tablets and on two phones. When I'm in St Louis on my chromebook I need 100% up to date access to whats going on at the home office. The only way for that to be possible is via the cloud.

Now SD as an additional backup wouldn't hurt my method, but not having the cloud would kill my business and most businesses on the world.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Tldr - cloud and SD don't replace each other, and they don't work overly well together. Two totally different use cases.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Another thing to keep in mind is that external storage might be useless in some corporate environments. Plugging in external devices is disabled in many cases for security purposes. Use of a corporate cloud service might be the only option available.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Mod note: let's keep the discussion on topic please.

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I have a Note 4, so I wasn't going to buy the Note 5 either way, but I still think it's a really good phone. Camera and display should be improvements over the Note 4, while the battery should stay about the same (and that was already great). I can see why some people would be upset over the lack of removable batteries, but those are a very tiny minority of people who are buying the phone. Most consumers will be fine with just the internal storage and battery

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

If I could get over the buttons on the front I'd consider a note 5.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

If I could get over the buttons on the front I'd consider a note 5.

See I've been a stock guy for as long as I can remember and the buttons do take some getting used to, but I think I'd get used to it. And I actually prefer the back button on the right. Makes more sense to me. I also think that the big additions of M will already be on the Note - being the fingerprint scanner and Android Pay. And it sounds like the Samsung version is going to be nice.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The new Moto X Pure Edition is my next but it won't be because it has an SD card slot.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)