The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung won't go broke but they will lose market share and perhaps LG and other smarter vendors will be the winners at the end.

They may or may not lose market share. Either way it will have nothing to do with sd cards and removable batteries ..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Think we're just sharing our thoughts (even though they may be different), not trying to influence others.

Well, the thread is titled, "The first Note I won't buy..." and it's stickied!!!! So it's gonna get more eyes on it. Side effect of thread merging I suppose... ;)
We want one thread for all of the trolling and discussion about SD cards and removable batteries.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Perspective

Just to keep things into perspective. There are 2 groups of people. We as humans don't want to believe that this is us, but it IS us. Even me!

1) They love everything. They try to defend the most horrific changes to the device, sometimes make up reasons why its better.. "A smaller batter is more heat efficient and this will give you more screen time...."?!?!?! These are the people who don't realize theiy are doing it as much. I fall into this category. I personally like the Note 5. Sure its not everything to everyone, but the 3 biggest issues are certainly not "deal breakers" for me. I can easily live without them... of course we are all different.

2) they hate everything, the next thing is going to suck compared to the last thing. The term "deal breaker" is tossed around a lot along with over exaggerated reactions to minor flaws... even now in your head you just went "I don't consider the Ir blaster to be a "minor flaw!" This is traditionally followed by the grander philosophical reference to the end of life as we know it, or at the very least to the company who brought out the offending device.

This happens every time a new device comes out.... case in point.. some thread titles from previous devices first few days....

Note 4
- Note 4 Samsung's feel cheap & are bloated......
- Note 4 Deal Makers and Breakers?
- Note 4 Underwhelmed after the reveal
- Note 4 Anyone else underwhelmed?
- Note 4 Again 5.7inch?
- Note 4 Disappointed with the camera improvements?

We will learn to accept the limitations of the device, or we will learn to use another brand device. In my case, so long as it has an S-Pen I will be in. I can't leave it, so they can do whatever they want to it, and I will be there.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Perspective

Lol ... Any device forum you go there is always the same set of threads.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have upgraded for 10 years straight using a Palm, HTC, Iphone, Samsung devices always feeling that I had the best phone and the upgrade was a improvement over my previous phone.

The Note 4 with the S pen moved me to the Note over from the Galaxy s5, even though I was worried about the size increase.
I have come to enjoy the S pen and look at it as a added feature. Removable Battery and the Sd card has been a staple of my lifestyle that I will not sacrifice nor should.
I truly like Samsung products but getting a bright shiny Note 5 takes me steps backwards, not forward. 3000 mah battery thats a joke. Batteries have not gotten that much better in the last year, that was about spacing in the phone. Lets get real.Keeping your phone on a charger is less productive than swapping out a battery.
I wish Samsung would get off this Iphone kick and worry about their own product. I have never been happier with a phone than the Note 4. Hopefully the Note 6 gets back to the reasons why the Note series was so good by being unique.
Remember their are other options. LG, Motorola, HTC, etc. I'm sure someone will come out with a phone better than the Note 4 with my priorities but I know it won't be Samsung this year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have upgraded for 10 years straight using a Palm, HTC, Iphone, Samsung devices always feeling that I had the best phone and the upgrade was a improvement over my previous phone.

The Note 4 with the S pen moved me to the Note over from the Galaxy s5, even though I was worried about the size increase.
I have come to enjoy the S pen and look at it as a added feature. Removable Battery and the Sd card has been a staple of my lifestyle that I will not sacrifice nor should.
I truly like Samsung products but getting a bright shiny Note 5 takes me steps backwards, not forward. 3000 mah battery thats a joke. Batteries have not gotten that much better in the last year, that was about spacing in the phone. Lets get real.Keeping your phone on a charger is less productive than swapping out a battery.
I wish Samsung would get off this Iphone kick and worry about their own product. I have never been happier with a phone than the Note 4. Hopefully the Note 6 gets back to the reasons why the Note series was so good by being unique.
Remember their are other options. LG, Motorola, HTC, etc. I'm sure someone will come out with a phone better than the Note 4 with my priorities but I know it won't be Samsung this year.

Of the current lineups, your only alternative would be LG as the top phones for Motorola and HTC don't have removable batteries.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Perspective

Just to keep things into perspective. There are 2 groups of people. We as humans don't want to believe that this is us, but it IS us. Even me!

1) They love everything. They try to defend the most horrific changes to the device, sometimes make up reasons why its better.. "A smaller batter is more heat efficient and this will give you more screen time...."?!?!?! These are the people who don't realize theiy are doing it as much. I fall into this category. I personally like the Note 5. Sure its not everything to everyone, but the 3 biggest issues are certainly not "deal breakers" for me. I can easily live without them... of course we are all different.

2) they hate everything, the next thing is going to suck compared to the last thing. The term "deal breaker" is tossed around a lot along with over exaggerated reactions to minor flaws... even now in your head you just went "I don't consider the Ir blaster to be a "minor flaw!" This is traditionally followed by the grander philosophical reference to the end of life as we know it, or at the very least to the company who brought out the offending device.

This happens every time a new device comes out.... case in point.. some thread titles from previous devices first few days....

Note 4
- Note 4 Samsung's feel cheap & are bloated......
- Note 4 Deal Makers and Breakers?
- Note 4 Underwhelmed after the reveal
- Note 4 Anyone else underwhelmed?
- Note 4 Again 5.7inch?
- Note 4 Disappointed with the camera improvements?

We will learn to accept the limitations of the device, or we will learn to use another brand device. In my case, so long as it has an S-Pen I will be in. I can't leave it, so they can do whatever they want to it, and I will be there.
Well said

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
My take on all this as a iPhone 6 plus user is they really should of had a 128Gb, i had a note 4 and note 4 edge this year and the SD card was great. If the battery lasts a full day i would be ok especially with the fast charging, the plus battery is a beast i get a day and half easily.
Pricing is out tomorrow in Australia and i am after a 2nd phone, but if its on par with a 6 plus i will wait for them to drop over the next few months as Samsung a renown for or get a note 4 on sale.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
So let me get this straight,
You come to the Note 5 Forum, presumably where people looking for information and interesting conversation about the Note 5 (not the respective forum of whatever phone you currently own), to complain that you will not be buying a Note 5 pretty much for the sole reason you can't swap the battery or the SD card out. (or more honestly, because you probably aren't due for a free upgrade anyway)

Then complain when people don't agree with you like they don't have the right to do so.

I'm not sure who this comment was aimed at, but I will respond. The threads about the lack of a removable battery and micro-SD card slot started when the Note 5 was a rumored device. Those of us who have bought every Note device (as indicated by the thread title) were naturally interested in buying the Note 5. We wanted information about the Note 5, too, and were waiting on facts versus rumors about the phone. When the facts came out, a thread was created to discuss that this was the first Note phone that we weren't buying and why. Android Central wants discussions about a particular phone to be in the sub-forum about that particular phone. If we had started this thread in the Note 4 or the Note Edge forum, it would have most likely been moved (rightly so).

People have a right to disagree, but this wasn't the place for those that disagree with us to tell those of us who don't want to buy the phone that we were wrong. Some of the comments in this thread were baffling. As for the free upgrade comment, most people won't have a free upgrade on a new superphone like the Note 5. Reduced price, maybe. As for me, I upgrade when I get ready because I have been saving all year for the phones that I want.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
How many times do you swap batteries in an average day, be honest.

O.

When I'm home. When I'm in normal usage patterns. If you review some of the other numerous other threads on these issue, you'll find lots of real world examples when people aren't in normal usage patterns. When they are on airplanes. Or walking around a foreign city. Or, on a 4 hour drive using GPS. When I'm home and in normal usage patterns I don't even need a big battery as I'm always near a charger and I always top off. I rarely drop below 50%. But that's not the point! There are lots of other times when it is critically important. In those times, I can be back to 100% in about 1 minute with a new battery, which can't be replicated by external battery packs (nor are they such a good solution if you're walking around a city and on the move), or sitting in a cafe even with a quick charger. If I'm traveling, it's typical that I will change batteries every day.

As for space, I have about 8gb left on 128gb card. I need a card to function as I wish to function. Try streaming music or videos internationally. What will be left of your data plan and what will your international charges be?

Over and again, what this often comes down to is people just not understanding that not everyone has the same needs and uses the phone the same way. We tend to buy the phones that worked for us and supported our needs. When suddenly they don't, yes, there's disappointment and annoyance.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I came to the Note 5 section to learn about real vs advertised. I was on another thread, they closed it and sent everyone to the Note 5 thread to discuss it. A thread specifically saying the SD card would go away on all phones and was a bad idea was posted and I posted there. I don't troll other threads, I go to ones I am interested in and have discussions with those with similar interests. I will probably come here for a while to see how the phone works out for the users simply because I like to monitor quality control of new products from a mfg I may purchase from in the future. I honestly hope those who buy it are happy with it, but I know I don't want to give up the safeguards of the replaceable battery or the sd card, as well as the additional versatility. I may not swap batteries daily, but if I need to on occasion it's a nice option. I just replaced mine in my Note 3 in about a minute since they are 2 years old for $10.

Last edited:

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
How many times do you swap batteries in an average day, be honest.
Look at your memory and how much free memory do you have?

I use my Note heavily throughout the day and take pictures and notes often and never swap batteries or run into my SD limit. (32gb card)

At least once a day swap on my battery (since I'm not plugging it into the usb charger.) My second battery is usually down to about 40% by the time I go to sleep... so I may even swap it again just for peace of mind that my alarm will go off in the morning. Did that last night and charge was still at 96%... so the last swap probably isn't needed.

As for SD... and internal. I've got 32gb internal in my Note3... 32gb sd. Recently running into storage warnings for internal and offloaded all my camera pictures and videos to the SD card. Still ran into storage issues a couple months later... backed up data to SD (camera/documents/downloads/tasker profiles/Nova Lanucher profile, etc) and factory reset my phone. After reinstalling just the apps I want as I need them, I'm back up to ~13gb free internal storage (but I still have all my other content backed up nicely on my SD card.)

blujay40

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

We were holding out on upgrading our Note 3's to 4's to see how the Note 5 evolved. But after months of rumors about how one "advantage" over another that the Note line had were going away, and then watching that boring, lackluster online presentation where even those in attendance did nothing more than give gratuitous applause while appearing to wait for that "next big thing" to actually be announced, we went to our local Verizon store and bought 2 Note 4's. The gentleman that waited on us told us that we were not the only ones that came in that day and bought the Note 4.

We did this for a couple of reasons. Doing so assured us both that at least for a few more years, we will be able to continue to enjoy the features and flexibility that the Note line was always known for, and that fit our lifestyles to a tee. And our buying the Note 4's now after the 5 was released (along with hopefully many other holdouts) will send a message to Samsung that we love our Note's and start listening to the end users instead of everyone else who never even owned a Note, or did so simply for the large screen and nothing else.

I have yet to see a "first impression" review of the new Note 5 that doesn't have 80 percent fluff on how "pretty" and "premium" it looks and feels, which is what the press and many others wanted all along, but NOT at the expense of 3/4 of the "flexibility" that the Note has been known for. Another 15 percent on the minimal software upgrades the Note 5 has over it's predecessors, which should be a given with ANY new model, and the rest is appears to be a feeble attempt to try and convince us "true" Note users that are now mourning the loss of our beloved Note capabilities, that we somehow don't know what we are missing. Trust me, WE DO!

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

I'm here to add another voice to the choir.

I got a Galaxy S5, because I wanted to try a phone that was "all over the place" (easy to find accessories, etc), but my target was really the Note 4. My old phone (DROID4) pretty much died due to battery loss (no replacement was immediately available, and was on back order), and I suspect there were some other issues charging it. I'm mostly OK with it, except for that 16GB internal storage. Thankfully this phone has a microSD slot.

I was thinking the Note 5 would make me think about upgrading this year when I become eligible, but not without a microSD slot and removable battery. I'd rather remove my own battery than to take it somewhere to be replaced (I'm sure an iFixit-like resource will popup in due time, but the convenience of being able to plug and play >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bringing a bunch of tools to the table). I'd rather replace physical storage than rely on the cloud (and potentially use mobile data).

But with the news that this phone would be just like the S6, with less storage options, with less features (no IR blaster, etc), without an upgraded internal battery is just beyond a disappointment. I actually got a chance to use both this phone and the Edge+ at a Best Buy display recently, and saw that available storage after the OS takes its share was ~15GB on a 32GB phone?! More than half of your storage is going to the OS (I'm guessing before you remove bloatware). And to add insult to injury, if you want more storage, your options are cloud (puke) or pay more money for a 64GB phone from the get-go.

LOL, this phone is going to flop. The S6 Edge+ might do better, but the Note is going to flop. UK users won't be missing out.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I actually got a chance to use both this phone and the Edge+ at a Best Buy display recently, and saw that available storage after the OS takes its share was ~15GB on a 32GB phone?! More than half of your storage is going to the OS (I'm guessing before you remove bloatware). And to add insult to injury, if you want more storage, your options are cloud (puke) or pay more money for a 64GB phone from the get-go..

15GB of usable storage on a 32GB phone isn't right.

Are you sure the phone doesn't have anything else extra installed? There should be around 23GB free.

feragola

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
O.

When I'm home. When I'm in normal usage patterns. If you review some of the other numerous other threads on these issue, you'll find lots of real world examples when people aren't in normal usage patterns. When they are on airplanes. Or walking around a foreign city. Or, on a 4 hour drive using GPS. When I'm home and in normal usage patterns I don't even need a big battery as I'm always near a charger and I always top off. I rarely drop below 50%. But that's not the point! There are lots of other times when it is critically important. In those times, I can be back to 100% in about 1 minute with a new battery, which can't be replicated by external battery packs (nor are they such a good solution if you're walking around a city and on the move), or sitting in a cafe even with a quick charger. If I'm traveling, it's typical that I will change batteries every day.

As for space, I have about 8gb left on 128gb card. I need a card to function as I wish to function. Try streaming music or videos internationally. What will be left of your data plan and what will your international charges be?

Over and again, what this often comes down to is people just not understanding that not everyone has the same needs and uses the phone the same way. We tend to buy the phones that worked for us and supported our needs. When suddenly they don't, yes, there's disappointment and annoyance.

So, I guess you don't own a charger that actually plug into the phone?
If you are at your house or in a car, it would make sense to just plug it in.

feragola

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
At least once a day swap on my battery (since I'm not plugging it into the usb charger.) My second battery is usually down to about 40% by the time I go to sleep... so I may even swap it again just for peace of mind that my alarm will go off in the morning. Did that last night and charge was still at 96%... so the last swap probably isn't needed.

As for SD... and internal. I've got 32gb internal in my Note3... 32gb sd. Recently running into storage warnings for internal and offloaded all my camera pictures and videos to the SD card. Still ran into storage issues a couple months later... backed up data to SD (camera/documents/downloads/tasker profiles/Nova Lanucher profile, etc) and factory reset my phone. After reinstalling just the apps I want as I need them, I'm back up to ~13gb free internal storage (but I still have all my other content backed up nicely on my SD card.)

So, you don't use a charger? that's maybe why you need to swap out.