The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Better screen and better processor = poor battery life plus who has the time to be plugged in to a wall outlet? So much for Samsung mocking iPhone wall-huggers airport ad campaign.

Who wants there phone opened up especially when its not being done by actual Samsung? Not me.

Yes thats right. I just purchased the Note Edge instead of the new note 5 or edge+ and am really loving it. I think the edge screen beats the s6 and note edge plus hands down. I chose the note edge because of the most two important feature for me, the replaceable battery and SD card. I have several SD cards that i switch out because I have a real huge music collection. I help a friend DJ and bring my music files from my phone to the raves.

YES absolutely, I am with Verizon and they charge an arm and a leg If i go over plus there data plans suck. So I do need my SD card.
The equation in the first sentence is wrong. Better screen + better processor = better battery life, all other things being equal.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I know. Just saying that I have one. It's pretty scary because the back cover wouldn't close and I only found out about the bloated battery 2 days after.

Isn't the first time, though. We also have a bloated Galaxy S2 battery.

Kinda scary when you keep thinking about it, but thankfully, they're rare. My LG G4 and other phones haven't experienced anything like that.

My Note 3 was my first Samsung, and I LOVE it. It has been a perfect phone for business except for the battery bloom at one year. That was a pretty bad wake-up call for Samsung batteries/devices for me and altered my perspective about changeable batteries considerably. I always had spare batteries for my previous phones and swapped out daily. I didn't get the extra battery with the N3 because I didn't think I needed it and it was the one time I actually needed to have one.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
And I get that it can happen (again I never said it couldn't) but he said it in a tone that make it sound like 1 year = instant bloated battery. That isn't the case.

Unfortunately it happens more often than you think. I had to replace the battery in my Note 4 and it's not even a year old.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 was my first Samsung, and I LOVE it. It has been a perfect phone for business except for the battery bloom at one year. That was a pretty bad wake-up call for Samsung batteries/devices for me and altered my perspective about changeable batteries considerably. I always had spare batteries for my previous phones and swapped out daily. I didn't get the extra battery with the N3 because I didn't think I needed it and it was the one time I actually needed to have one.

That's also partly why I prefer a removable battery, but I've heard that a store can swap out the battery in an S6 in about 20 minutes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it happens more often than you think. I had to replace the battery in my Note 4 and it's not even a year old.

And I have friends who are still rocking the Galaxy S3 -- So it can happen but 1 year still does not mean instant bloated battery.

I just do not want people to come here doing some search, see that post, and instantly think their phones are going to bloat up in a year. Any phone can have a bloated battery (even iPhones) and there are ways of getting it fixed. Is removable easier? Without a doubt -- but I still don't want to pass around 1 year = instant bloat.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
So it can happen but 1 year still does not mean instant bloated battery.

No, of course it doesn't. I never said that batteries fail within a specific period of time (even my S4 is still perfectly usable, although it doesn't last as long as it used to). What I am saying is that the battery can go bad at ANY time and I would prefer to replace it myself rather than having to send it in for repair.

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Of all the different devices I've owned over the years, the only one that had a battery go bad was the BlackBerry 9000, which had a removable battery. I got it in May 2009, and the battery died in July 2010.

I haven't had battery issues with the Nokia Lumia 900 (from 2012), Nokia Lumia 920 (from 2012) or Moto X (from 2013). The batteries on those devices are sealed, but they all lasted longer than that of the removable BlackBerry 9000 battery.

It's not always about the battery going "bad" its the case of diminished performance. Its like the old adage about how to boil a frog... turn up the heat slowly and he doesn't notice. Same for battery... degradation happens slowly and you get the feeling that your device is getting old... 'maybe its all the apps' so you reset the device, but no. Then the blame starts going to the latest OS update... maybe my 'old' device just can't handle it.

While those situations COULD be a factor... it can be shocking how a brand new battery compares to one that's 1-2 years old - and had been subjected to charging nearly every single day... I've been through the above situations myself for each of the past 3 phones its been a wake up call when I finally get around to buying a new battery or two.

Sure, I could still be using my original Note3 battery... it just doesn't last nearly as long... and like I said... until you see that sudden jump in battery life with a brand new one in there... you MAY not realize how much you've been dealing with fast discharge when you really didn't need to. YMMV, but I've had family members swear up and down its not their battery... until they realize how much of a difference it makes... and this goes for everything from phones, to Wii remotes, to rechargeable AA's. Batteries don't last forever, folks. And as much as we charge our phones, they're probably getting more than 365 recharge cycles on them per year. That's quite a bit.

I still see nothing that convinces me that a sealed battery is better than user replaceable in the Note5. Only benefit being maybe slightly smaller. I've got small hands, but never had a problem with Note 3 size... but I'll give that to you if you felt the previous Notes were just a bit tough to handle.... this could be a tangible real world benefit. (Though the slippery back I think about negates that advantage, IMO.) But at the cost of convenience and flexibility for others who otherwise might have been interested in the device.

I'm sure those that get it will enjoy it. I don't think it will be a lemon of a phone or anything. Just disappointed as a Note fan that it suddenly changed too radically for me to have a strong interest in it. The only reason I keep posting, is it seems people just don't get it why in this day and age people want something that has flexible use cases.... expand-ability... or just does what we've come to expect previous generations to do; or they think we don't know how to use these magical new fangled gadgets... and I assure you... that is not the case. I think its fine if you want to use a device without those features... its fine that my wife and friends use an iphone (and we all get along just fine.) The sticking point for the Note series is it USED to have these... they USED to be advertised features of the device. Having those options didn't dissuade people from buying the device - it was easy enough not to make use of those features... they didn't get in the way of anything.

And if the argument is 'get over it because that's the way everything is going' then that's a sad state of affairs. Because if that IS the way everything is going, my time with Android itself may be limited. If there is only a couple generations left of having options, and with the apparent continual problem of Carriers getting in the way of features/updates/critical security patches and Google's inability to stem that; then the benefits of being an Android user are less and less. (I'm still a bit bitter that my wife's iPhone can do NFC tap to pay... and I've had NFC on my phones for 4 years now and haven't been able to do it.)

I've loved having the choice the Android ecosystem provides... but as that dwindles those other flaws I mentioned become more apparent: TouchWiz becomes harder to swallow, device/carrier removal or not adopting new Android features... and the dreaded "F" word become bigger factors that I may not be willing to accept a few years from now if this trend continues. This move by manufacturers (not just Samsung) could just be another factor pushing more users of the platform away.

I'm not an Apple or Mac guy by any means... its just getting harder to see the difference - and in some cases easier to see some benefits of the other side - as time goes by.

LiveFaith

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Went in and switched my biz line over to ATT from VZW yesterday. That was a big deal where I moved a bunch of lines yadayada. I've been very disappointed with Sammy downgrading the Note, especially the swappable batter. Not happy @ the SD, IR, and durability drawbacks either. BUUUT, the draw of the speedy internals and "latest/greatest" had me about ready to upgrade my N3 to it regardless of the losses.

As my rep worked on all the details, I walked over to the kiosk to see the N5 and walaaaaaah, the back of he device was already shattered! That's two days on the shelf! The week before the S6 I looked at was already broken on the backk too. A lot to love about the device, but thin glass on the back means this device is simply not "mobile ready" as a daily driver. That means I have to treat it like a new baby or put a bloaty and most likely (ironically) a plastic/rubber case to keep it from shattering.

Unwilling to accept this many downgrades on my favorite line of devices evaaaaaah. Looks like I'll be settling in to the better in most functional ways, Note 4. At least it will save a little money. :-\

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa125/livefaith/Note5onDay3.jpg?t=1439841360

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Haha I feel you -- I went from the S6 to the G4 and now the Moto X Style (or Pure Edition in the US) once it is out :p.

Mine has been S6, S6 Active, Nexus 6, iPhone 6+, Nexus 6, now I'm struggling to decide between the Note 5, S6 Active again, Moto X, or wait on the next Nexus phone(s). It's a hard knock life for me and my phone addiction.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

It's just overused.

I just like to see a different reason

Well the problem with this particular device, is that the internal storage only goes to 64gb and the non removable battery is smaller than the Note 4's. So while I agree with you that those two reasons ARE in fact beaten to death on this website, it's almost a renewed, valid reason with this particular Note. If it had 128gb Internal storage with 4300 mAh battery, then I would agree completely with you that it's tired and overused.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That's also partly why I prefer a removable battery, but I've heard that a store can swap out the battery in an S6 in about 20 minutes.

I'd like to know if the replacement battery that these repair stores are using for an S6 (or any sealed battery for that matter) are OEM or 3rd party?? Do manufacturers even make batteries for their sealed devices and if so, are they available to the general public?

anthonymoua95

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

It's just overused.

I just like to see a different reason

Although the two obvious reasons are dealbreakers for me, a more reasonable answer for me is simply because I have no reason to. I'm locked in on a 2 year contract with my Note 4 since March (oh how I wish I waited a few weeks longer after I was upgrade eligible so the up front price for the 2 year contract would have just been $199.99 vs. $299.99). The specs on the Note 4 is more than enough to last me through 2016. It's not even a year old as of this post. And I've simply had so much fun with the snapdragon variant with rooting and custom ROMs the Exynos chip actually scares me.

I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority who actually waits about 2-2.5 years for that phone upgrade. The phone market seems so saturated the last few years if you ask me.

Posted via the Android Central App

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

I'll wait a couple of months until the 128GB is out then purchase. If no 128GB I stick with the ole Galaxy s6.