The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
First it was my Galaxy S3 on Verizon - apparently carrier restrictions got in the way as they were blocking it in favor of their own competing system - which took a long time to come about and only supported a couple card companies that I didn't use. Switched to T-Mobile when I got the Note3. The Note3 - I believe was also due to carrier restriction (not 100% sure on all this, so don't skewer me if I get some facts wrong here on out...) but part way through Google made some changes to the SD card and how it was used --- and from what I understood, this SHOULD have opened the door to all devices on current OS to be able to use Wallet tap to pay. Well, except the Note3... because Samsung apparently used some non standard NFC chip or controller that Android OS didn't have support for. That was all supposed to change with Lollipop... needed drivers would be included - or so it was rumored. Nope still no tap to pay

I shouldn't say I've NEVER been able to use it. Shortly after it was available, I used it at McDonalds a couple times with my 2012 Nexus7... got REALLY strange looks. For one, they hadn't seen ANYBODY EVER use tap to pay... second, I'm waving my tablet up at their terminal. Wasn't really practical with the Nexus7... but it worked - and I tried it everytime I had the tablet with me. That is until Google changed the way transactions are handled... and apparently the Nexus7 no longer had the 'right hardware' to do it anymore... leaving me again with no device tap to pay worked with.

OK, I see. You made me realize how many phones I own, as I had the Note 3 and couldn't use tap-to-pay with it. It didn't inconvenience me as much because I primarily use tap-to-pay with my Nexus devices and my Moto X. Having Nexus devices also allowed me to forget that the carriers were blocking Google Wallet at one point in time.

I hope that Samsung Pay and Android Pay don't actually make the process more difficult in the near future. I'm all for competition, as long as it doesn't inhibit what I'm currently doing.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy?

Go back and read my post again... :)

Yes, for me they really are 2 of the most important features...

However, I did not say they were the only ones (I do like the screen and the camera very, very much! I would personally give up the S pen to get back replaceable batteries and microSD card slots, however, but that's just me. This because Google voice works really well for me.)

I use my Note 4 so much, in a work environment, that the replaceable battery is a big deal.

Also, my 128 GB microSD card is almost full, as I have my music library on it, and a lot of photos.

Sorry, but those two things add up to a really BIG deal for me, and I'm not the only one...

I also said that (sadly) I currently I don't see an alternative; there are other phones that have removable batteries and microSD card slots, after all, but that doesn't make them an alternative, at least for me, exactly because of its other great features.

All that said, I stand by my post exactly as written. I will hang on to my Note 4 until someone gives me what I consider a real alternative. Some company, Samsung, or someone else, care about what's important to their customers. I truly don't believe I'm in a small enough minority that some manufacturer won't listen and offer me what I want, instead of taking the Samsung route... charging me more and taking away core features.

Last edited by a moderator:

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Currently I have a Note 3 and held off upgrading to the Note 4 pending the release of the Note 5. I normally skip one iteration of a phone. I ordered the Note 5 at Best Buy after checking it out at the Samsung "booth". For Verizon the 64GB model is only available in black. I would prefer the silver like color but it just is not available.

As to the Battery and SD card issue, I can just use cloud storage even though it is not as convenient as having 128GB internal or on an SD Card. Also there are small Micro-USB memory stick that could be used in a pinch. Since I am grandfathered in with Unlimited Data on Verizon, the cost of moving data back and forth between the phone and cloud is not an issue. My main concern is the glass back. I will have 14 days to return it but I will at least give it a try. Will need to get a good case so I can return it if I need to. As for the battery, I have a spare one for my Note 3 and carry it with me when I travel. There are some batter packs out that allow for rapid charging so carry a spare that I can just swap out or one that I can connect and get a full charge from in a few minutes, is ok by me. Either way I have to carry something.

If the Note 5 does not work out, I may wait for the LG G4 PRO or maybe go with the Moto X Pure as alternatives. The additional features being offered on the Note 5 intrigue me enough to at least try the thing out.

Last edited:

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

Legitimate reasons, please.

Don't just say "Because it doesn't have a removable battery and SD card slot" if you're not buying one, because that's frankly overused and we know that's one reason why you wouldn't buy one over some others.

How are the very reasons I am not upgrading somehow "not legitimate"? They're important to me. They are the ONLY reasons I'm not upgrading. Heck, I got on the Verizon Edge program so upgrading wouldn't be quite as painful, as I like to upgrade every year. I should have stayed on the regular plan, because no microSD and no replaceable battery make the Note 5 completely useless to me.

If that's not legitimate reasoning, I don't know what is...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

How are the very reasons I am not upgrading somehow "not legitimate"? They're important to me. They are the ONLY reasons I'm not upgrading. Heck, I got on the Verizon Edge program so upgrading wouldn't be quite as painful, as I like to upgrade every year. I should have stayed on the regular plan, because no microSD and no replaceable battery make the Note 5 completely useless to me.

If that's not legitimate reasoning, I don't know what is...

I think it is a perfectly legitimate of a reason for you, and many other users. I do not believe that most people care - however for those that do, it is CLEARLY important. Only you can say if a purchase is worth your money or not.

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

nevermind -
Edit: quoted below... only deleted because I'm tired of the useless debate.
But good comment below on what I said, thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I think threads like this are starting to prove that most people don't care what any of our opinions are one way or the other. Unwilling to see a situation from someone else's point of view. Otherwise we'd stop seeing posts like 'get over it' or 'just use a power pack, lol, ha ha ha' right after a detailed explanation of how the two are useful yet different.

Some of that is a tacit admission that we are powerless to change the specs of the CURRENT Note 5 - so as much as we may agree or disagree with Samsung, we have to figure out a way to deal with the reality of the situation. That said, if people want to get all over Sammy to bring back these features in the next iteration - DO EET! There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting a company know what they can do to earn your business.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Since I'll be keeping my Note 4 for the foreseeable future, It's time to stock up on some cheap accessories.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I know. Just saying that I have one. It's pretty scary because the back cover wouldn't close and I only found out about the bloated battery 2 days after.

Isn't the first time, though. We also have a bloated Galaxy S2 battery.

Kinda scary when you keep thinking about it, but thankfully, they're rare. My LG G4 and other phones haven't experienced anything like that.

That's exactly what happened with my DROID4. And there wasn't an OEM battery available anywhere that wouldn't take weeks to replace at the time.

I'm guessing whatever Samsung does after this generation has gotta address this.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

I think it is a perfectly legitimate of a reason for you, and many other users. I do not believe that most people care - however for those that do, it is CLEARLY important. Only you can say if a purchase is worth your money or not.

Some of my co-workers call me the crazy phone guy
when commenting about the 200GB MicroSD cards
in all three of my smartphones(S5, Note 3 and Note 4).

I guess Samsung feels the same way, which is why
they are helping me by not having MicroSD cards in
their flagship phones anymore. Thanks, Samsung! :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Some of my co-workers call me the crazy phone guy
when commenting about the 200GB MicroSD cards
in all three of my smartphones(S5, Note 3 and Note 4).

I guess Samsung feels the same way, which is why
they are helping me by not having MicroSD cards in
their flagship phones anymore. Thanks, Samsung! :)

lol, OEM sparked intervention?

wkm001

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Nearly everyone needs to get over SD card slot and removable battery. I went from the S4 to the OnePlus One. Once you have a phone with plenty of storage and good battery life you will never look back.

If you like to try out ROMs regularly then a SD card comes in real handy. As for the battery, this is Samsung's fault. They keep making phones with terrible battery life. We need to stop buying them to get them to change.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

That said, if people want to get all over Sammy to bring back these features in the next iteration - DO EET! There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting a company know what they can do to earn your business.

That's a really good point... Honestly, what kind of input (emails, forums like this, phone calls, ?) do you think they listen to most? I would like to contact them directly, but I am not sure what the most effective way would be...

What do you think, Assassin Droid? or anyone out there?

Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

That's a really good point... Honestly, what kind of input (emails, forums like this, phone calls, ?) do you think they listen to most? I would like to contact them directly, but I am not sure what the most effective way would be...

Thanks!

My guesses are the carrier forums, reddit, sammobile, twitter. Direct contact probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't know what the most effective way to get through to them would be.

wildbean98

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I was dead set on getting the Note 5 till I found out about the non-removable battery. I'm an IT Manager and a heavy user and kill regular batteries. I currently have an LG Optimus G Pro and the 3140 mAh stock battery would last about 3/4 of a day. I got a zerolemon 9300mAh battery and it extended it from anywhere between 1.5 and 2 days for me.

I'm now leaning towards the LG G4. I was hoping for a phone with a more powerful CPU like the Note 5 but the G4 isn't too bad. The stock 3000 mAh battery is smaller than my Optimus, but zerolemon offers an 8500 mAh battery for it.

My other option is to just go with a Note 4, probably used or refurbed. ZL has a 10k mAh battery for that one.

The downside of course is that my phone is frickin huge and heavy. The first day I had the 9300 mAh battery in my Optimus, I was laying in bed holding the phone above my face when I dropped it. Even though it was only about a 12 inch drop, that sucker hurt for 3 days and left a bruise. I'd never use these batteries if I wasn't a power user, but I unfortunately do need them. I've tried external batteries but it's just one more thing to carry around and I carry enough as it is.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Nearly everyone needs to get over SD card slot and removable battery. I went from the S4 to the OnePlus One. Once you have a phone with plenty of storage and good battery life you will never look back.

If you like to try out ROMs regularly then a SD card comes in real handy. As for the battery, this is Samsung's fault. They keep making phones with terrible battery life. We need to stop buying them to get them to change.

The problem is what qualifies as plenty of storage. I guarantee you if the max storage was 256GB instead of 64GB almost no one would complain.

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Us folks that value the sd or battery need to look elsewhere now, though the battery options for a larger display device is the G4 or Note 4. Let's see how the Moto X Pure pans out. Might be a great device, but the battery seems a concern, since not the same kind of display as the Note 5 and it's 3000mah.

Last edited:

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

The only problem I have with the Note 5 is the lack of SD card. People keep saying Google Drive or some sort of cloud storage but the problem with doing that is placing my videos on there and wanting to watch them, which means streaming, which means burning through my data. I usually have 2-3 movies on my SD card for when I get stuck somewhere, fly or just have some down time. If you're going to remove the SD card why not at least compensate by offering a 128GB storage option? I really hope a 128GB version comes out in the next few months, my contract is up around January and if one isn't out by then I'll either keep the Note 4 or go with another manufacturer... seriously alienated potential customers by doing this.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The only problem I have with the Note 5 is the lack of SD card. People keep saying Google Drive or some sort of cloud storage but the problem with doing that is placing my videos on there and wanting to watch them, which means streaming, which means burning through my data. I usually have 2-3 movies on my SD card for when I get stuck somewhere, fly or just have some down time. If you're going to remove the SD card why not at least compensate by offering a 128GB storage option? I really hope a 128GB version comes out in the next few months, my contract is up around January and if one isn't out by then I'll either keep the Note 4 or go with another manufacturer... seriously alienated potential customers by doing this.

The same group of people are the ones being incredulous and wanting their standards used as reference on others (most people are not doing this). That will not change and such types are the same with more serious things than phones. This is one situation where you have a choice, so use it :) I am just not too warm & fuzzy feeling about the Moto X P/S 3000 mah battery. That to me is just as important as the sd. Good battery life and sd slot are mutually inclusive IMO.

Added: 128GB for almost $1,000 seems too high IMO and probably not going to be an option. If Apple did not have people so heavily invested in their ecosystem they would probably not get away with their 128GB model either. Android users can move to other devices and get to keep using their apps and media.

If Samsung thought 128gb would sell, they would offer them like they did with the S6. I think some posters are right when saying Samsung is willing to lose the heavy media users and gain some iPhone users. Samsung seems to miss the point they do not have millions of users invested in an ecosystem like Apple does.

Last edited:

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

I contacted Samsung through the Feedback section of their website. I doubt that it will do any good, but I wanted my voice to be heard in more than one way. The other way that it will be heard is when I don't register a Note 5 on their website. I've always registered my devices in the past and called in to ask about accessories. I'm sure that my ~$800 is less than a drop in the bucket with Samsung, but it has meaning to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy